• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I think there are many decent-good sheik mains no one knows about. Why they hide? I have no idea.

I tried brawl- yesterday. It's pretty legit. Sheik is broken, but still basically the same so you don't have to adjust your playstyle much. Just don't take her into doubles because your oppenent will hit you without even knowing you were there. lol Honestly though, Zelda was ****ing ****. Longest range nonprojectile in the game is too good. Fairing ppl from halfway across fd is just **** AND it combos into more ****. I think I liked falco the most though. =X

@dmt: where's the smashfest gonna be at anyway? or you can pm your aim/number to tell me. Whatever works.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
DOUBLE POST!~

Ran into this new sheik at a fest yersterday. Renki; he is primarily self taughtbut I'm really impressed by what he's doing with so little player experince. His mix ups are amazing his edge gaurding and recovery choices are very good. He's safe and smart.
His jab canceling game is on point, in a few months he'll be giving me and ED/Scary a run for our money down here. He really came out of no where, he's getting better and better every time he plays, he learns fast, and he picks up and break habits very quick.

Um... I'm gonna try and record some of his sheik in the near future, you guys will definitely be impressed by this guy.
I wanna know more about him lol! Is he more like me or you?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'd say more like me... He dacus's more than me, but he is more stays on the defensive way more it seems. He give my room to make errors and try to jump in and punish them.

Hey man you gotta just come chill down here for a weekend so you can just play with the CFL crew.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I'd say more like me... He dacus's more than me, but he is more stays on the defensive way more it seems. He give my room to make errors and try to jump in and punish them.

Hey man you gotta just come chill down here for a weekend so you can just play with the CFL crew.
I want to do that!!!! One of these weeks; you can bestow to me some more defense and I'll become more well rounded instead of trying to raep everything in sight lol.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I think there are many decent-good sheik mains no one knows about. Why they hide? I have no idea.
Yeah... I've met a good chunk of good sheiks the only problem is that they don't seem to go to tournaments. Sheik fun to use so people pick her up but her learning curve is pretty extreme...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm thinking of going peach for my anti sheik instead of jiggs... it's easier to kill and gimp with jiggy, but peach feels a little safer.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well I've been productive tonight, I hack my new wii, got homebrew, learn how to put brawl codes on it(something I was still trying to master on my old wii before it died), got the slow the game down frame by frame code, and just started playing around with it.

Oh by the way it takes 4-5 frames for Sheik to go into a crouch.

edit2: so it seems that not only does shield come up in 1 frame but it also drops in 1 frame. I'm glad there's a little penalty for dropping your shield even if it's only a few frames.

edit3: First step taken in testing...so everyone did you know if sheik dtilt a meta knight at 30% with a fresh dtilt She get's a 1-2 frame advantage? =3

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So I'm going to be watching the super bowl today and I was thinking of making another chart for the Ftilt adv thread.

Does anyone have a character they would like to see done?

edit: ^_^ So it seems if you space dtilt perfectly and de3 shield is at full power(haven't tested weaker shield yet) he can't shield grab you.

edit2: it also seems that at 100% against De3 a point blank range a fresh fully charge ground needle storm gives you a disadvantage by about 1 frame.

edit3: De3 grab range out ranges Sheik nair, however a short hop strong nair on de3 full power shield can't be shield grab if spaced correctly.

edit4: Sheik can short hop outside of de3 grab range and just barely hit the top of de3 full power shield safely with a fair. You can't be shield grab for this, once you hit the shield if you pull back you can exit standing grab range.

edit6: Double hitting usmash at point blank range on de3 full power shield, can't be shield grabbed

Disclamor, all testing is being done in a control environment in VS mode with perfect spacing, frame by frame slow down gameplay, and never weakening full power shields.

edit5: Finding me a code that has shields weaken but remain weaken would make this little testing I'm doing all the more accurate.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Cool **** tristan. I find this kind of info pretty useful. Do needles give you different advantages at different distances?

btw, i was practicing dash dance to dacus and i ended up doing dash dance to dsmash. Did ppl know this was possible and how can one recreate it?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
@tristan
I'm doubting ftilt is safe of sheild. try dash grabing or dtilting OOS with D3. he can't sheild grab but he may be able to punish a different way. (similar to how we can punish snakes ftilts and MK's dsmash with our dash attack but often times not with a sheild grab.) Keep this in mind for other moves as well. He can definitely punish Usmash with another OOS option.

I've been saying this for about a year but yeah. pretty much everything sheik has is very safe on sheild especially retreating aerials. thats my main argument against IC. "you can space bair, fair, ftilt, and even nair on D3's sheild why can't we do that comfortably on ICs?"

If you don't mind try looking at needles advantage at varying distances.. I can see sheik maybe getting a small advantage out of needles from a medium distances compared to very close on the exact frame their hit boxes appear. These could lead to guaranteed dash attacks or at least dash grabs at some distances.

All that said, TristWin, numbers are hip and all, but don't make them your whole game. you have to change and adapt as the game does. It's good to know your options but you don't want to fool yourself into believing something is always safe. This game just doesn't work like that.

@Ankoku/Rathy (Rathy's "melee piviot more so")
yeah... it's kinda hip. not so much with sheik. during the turning animation for the dash dance I think you enter a standing/idle state. so you can probably do any move right there. smash attacks are the easiest to input since you can buffer those in with the C-stick. You can also do over B moves for the same reason.
You can't really buffer tilts or jab in there because you are holding a direction, often smashing to run the other way even, that isn't true with "true pivioting" where you do a full fox trot and cancel that into idle.

Going back a bit. sheik isn't going to get huge advantages from this. her smash attacks have very low horizontal range especially when you consider how far she moves from her starting position. so in that regard it isn't very practical. Fsmash is an exception, but I always feel like it's significant start up time coupled with it's easy-to-punish-on-shield-osity again makes it a risk not really worth taking.

On the other hand I do this constantly with zelda's fsmash and dins, mario's fsmash, falcon's raptor boost, gdorf's fsmash/flame choke, even peach's peach bomber/fsmash. Their attacks are relatively safe on shield have great range and it a fast way to literally beat things that would have other wise been well spaced. It's even more true when you compare their walk speeds to their walking speeds.

with characters like sheik you just have better options. pivot needles, pivot grab, just running period, or walk to turn around jab, tilt, or dash attack.

Renki

Smash Journeyman
DOUBLE POST!~

Ran into this new sheik at a fest yersterday. Renki; he is primarily self taughtbut I'm really impressed by what he's doing with so little player experince. His mix ups are amazing his edge gaurding and recovery choices are very good. He's safe and smart.
His jab canceling game is on point, in a few months he'll be giving me and ED/Scary a run for our money down here. He really came out of no where, he's getting better and better every time he plays, he learns fast, and he picks up and break habits very quick.

Um... I'm gonna try and record some of his sheik in the near future, you guys will definitely be impressed by this guy.
You give me too much credit. xD

I hope to improve a fair amount over the next few months, but I doubt I'll be doing anything amazing, haha.

All the numbers(f-tilt numbers, etc) makes my head spin. Isn't there like a condensed condensed version? Then again, I'd imagine F-tilt would be heavily decayed majority of the time anyways.

Anyways, glad to meet you all. Looking forward to fighting the good fight. <3

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
but <3 the thing you have to remember is that although brawl isnt as fast as melee, its still pretty fast paced and when you are playing someone that plays ICs they are going to be shield dashing about making your spacing game with aerials harder and riskier.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
@renki
KEEP POSTING!
Don't focus too too much on numbers and stuff just know the golden rulees

<3(or 4) Ftilt rules
1. above 35 you can ftilt anyone repeatedly
2. if you can ftilt combo then you can sub in utilt
3. if you can kill with usmash then ftilt usmash works.

Thats basically the rules I go by anyway concerning the move. 3 is true assuming decay is correct and you can judge that by eye. You don't need to know exact numbers.

<3 Jab->short rules
1. Jab grab is charcter dependant at percents below 50, but is still a decent hard to beat mix up in all matches. Watch for frame 1/2 inturupts. (fox, squirts, marth, sheik, etc...)
2. if dsmash can kill jab->short->dsmash will work. If nair'll kill teh same. Be aware of DI.

Trust, next time we hang out I'm gonna get that spacing up, and your punishment game stronger. I feel like those are the only areas where you aren't just beast modeing. You have a great mix ups and good instincts. the rest, you just need more player/match up experience.

@Ddonaldo
Oh trust I know. and that kind of true for everyone. My wolf get's sheild grabbed sometimes. my jiggs does. generally you want to force a situation where your opponent can't rush in. IC sheild dash is pretty lack luster so once they start their dash animation they are stuck in it for a while. thats why if that aren't moving you have a lot of power just out side of their attack range because they literally can't attack or advance safely.

When situations arise where you are in the air and they are dashing at you jump away or to a plat or over them or just move away from them land and run to avoid any potential unsafe choices. reset the situation. forward facing bair, or "stomp" as someone called it is also a decent option when these other ones aren't applicable or when you have, it pushes ICs behind you turning a attack that hit the front of their sheild into wone that puts you behind them out of sheild grab range.
This won't work on power sheild's though so... understand that risk.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Renki i'm going to give you some really sound advice that I usually don't give to newcomers.

Use dair often. Use it for pretty much everything. It's the metagame of Sheik currently. Great for OoS, platform pressure, gimps, KO's, spacing move.

It is THE quintessential move to incorporate into your game. You'll notice the top Sheik players are the select few who have mastered this complicated yet deadly move.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Renki i'm going to give you some really sound advice that I usually don't give to newcomers.

Use dair often. Use it for pretty much everything. It's the metagame of Sheik currently. Great for OoS, platform pressure, gimps, KO's, spacing move.

It is THE quintessential move to incorporate into your game. You'll notice the top Sheik players are the select few who have mastered this complicated yet deadly move.
There's a bit of truth in there somewhere...amid all the sarcasm. That makes this a great post.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Bwahahahahah sorry guyz I couldn't help it!! The secret had to get out sometime anyways.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Dair? Surely you mean dsmash
don't dsmash OOS, dair probably is safer, lol.

use jab out of shield instead. It is faster, if you whiff a jab you don't eat a free kill move, and the best part; jab combos into free damage and often times... get this A TRUE DSMASH COMBO!

don't dsmash unless you are comboing into it or something IMO it is way to easy to punish for the little bit of reward you normally get. it's also one of her better kill moves don't use it because you are scared. try to understand you situations. You can't flail around wildly with sheik and win.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
thanks <3 for the reply
and personally I prefer down B OoS instead of d-air. it has a much faster start up time

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
down B is good because you get random invul frames. it can be less than a second or like 10 or so. keep you opponent guessing.

You should jump to cancel the shield though if you are gonna down B its faster.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Serious post amidst all the silliness, but dthrow shorthop is ****. RPS the **** out of your opponent all day.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Dthrow is horrible... >: (

I'm serious. fthrow is RPS city. they air dodge they get *****, they don't (jump attack whatever) they still get rapped.

all you have to do is jump and you are safe out of dthrow. dthrow also has the highest know back scaling of any of sheik's throws... I hate dthrow. We need to put gimpy fishes sticy back up I thinks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nah, fthrow and bthrow are cool at the ledge because their DI is kinda screwed no matter which direction they pick (towards and they pop up for easy aerial pressure, away and they're pretty decently off-stage), but mid-stage dthrow is awesome. Jumping from dthrow (unless you're Meta Knight) pretty much makes it way more free for me to go for juggles. I hate uthrow because it's still got the most ridiculous amount of cooldown ever.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
if you grab at the edge throw the direction opposite of it.

It's too stage dependant honestly... I don't think sheik has a strong juggleing game against most of the cast. she is good against people with lower aerial movement speed than her but uair doesn't cover enough range to compensate for the faster characters or characters who can change direction quickly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
At this point I'm inclined to say that aerial speed doesn't help all that much unless there's a high/moving platform to get to real quick or you have lots of jumps, since Sheik's ground speed lets her cover just about every landing option that you'll have to take eventually. Her aerials are decent at punishing platform land attempts, and just about any character can pressure by shielding right next to where you're about to land, so...

The reason I shorthop after dthrow is because it puts a delay to my next action that will help wait out things like immediate aerials and air-dodge attempts, along with pressuring some people into just mashing jump when I'm not actually trying to follow up immediately.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm no pro at this yet but I think this data is correct

Ftilt
Hit stun 2
Shield stun 6
frame adv -11
Frame adv after a shield drop or attempted normal speed grab -4

In other developments I tested De3 weaken shield and I found that when weaken Sheik has to enter de3 grab range if you want to hit him and if you hit his weaken shield you can be shield grabbed =/

So I've tested the two extremes, full power and almost broken and have gotten pretty different results.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Had the only chat on AIM with <3 last night. I already feel better about the MK match-up now.

Good stuff as always Tristan.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah... what I'm thinking is asking people to give me their videos and then I put it on youtube, maybe even make a channel for it. and do comentary through anotes about which options are better and more importantly the good choices people make.
Also with a few of my own videoes as well.

I'm thinking of doing a full in depth guide as well mostly centering on my playstyle and the like but... i think I want some more frame data to back that up.

Would people be interested in something like this?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well you know I'm always willing to help.

If you promise to not judge my friendly wifi matches as a whole then I will give you them as they come out to be analyze.

Top Bottom