• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Rather Large Issue

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Link to original post: [drupal=3148]A Rather Large Issue[/drupal]

Well I got into a fight with my dad again. It's been happening a lot recently but not like this. This got a little physical and I ran away.

Basically I skipped school (again) when I told him I wouldn't. When he found out he tried to confront me but I was in the middle of a match in the fighting game I play (Touhou Hisou Tensoku) and told him to wait a few minutes.

He's always impatient when it comes to these kinds of talks but this time he wouldn't wait at all. He told me a couple times to stop but I didn't want to be rude to my opponent and figured it wasn't that big a deal if he has to wait three minutes so I told him to wait. He got mad and closed my computer and proceeded to tackle me out of my chair.
He broke my headset in the process which pisses me off even more. the actual headset is fine but the cord was torn in two.

Now I'm pretty strong for my height (5'4''), weight (135 lbs), and workout schedule (pretty much non-existent atm) but my dad is.. overweight to say the least. And not completely out of shape either.

It got a little physical and he told me to leave. I started to pack up and go and he told me to leave my computer, since obviously I would want to take that. I put it down and grab my jacket and shoes and start to leave when he changes his mind.

So now we're pretty much wrestling in the hallway between my room and his and he's trying to pin me down and get me to stay.

At this point I'm so fed up with him I actually want to leave anyway so I fight him back trying to get out the door with my shoes and jacket. I end up getting my jacket off trying to escape him in the process of getting out. I also drop my shoes before I finally get him into his room, break away and run for the door.

I start walking, in socks and a tee-shirt down the street checking to see if he's following me every once in a while. The weather was cloudy and probably around 20 degrees. Maybe 30. Since NY recently got a bit of snow the ground is still pretty wet and my socks get soaked and freezing quickly.

The ground temperature was most likely at least freezing because there was still snow on the ground in some places by the sides of the road.

Did I mention I don't have ANYTHING on me? Well I didn't take anything out of the house with me as I didn't have the time. My wallet, keys, phone, bookbag, computer, and jacket are all at my dad's house.

So with no Metrocard I can't take the train which would maybe be a 20-25 mintue trip overall to my friend's house. Instead I have to walk through the park (I could go around but it's longer). The total distance from my house to the 9th street exit of the park is probably about 2 miles give or take. The distance from the 9th street exit of the part to my friend's house is maybe 1/4th of a mile.

So yeah by the time I'm in the park my feet are already pretty cold. The rest of me is fine since I have a fairly large resistance to cold and I had just gotten some pretty heavy exercise.

I start walking over to 9th street to go to the library (not knowing it would be closed by the time I got there). The whole walk would maybe take me 45 minutes to an hour to get to the library normally. I have no idea how long it took but I can say I was NOT walking normally by the time I was halfway through the park. At this point the only thing telling me I didn't have frostbite was the pain in my feet from walking so far in such cold weather in socks. When I got to the library it was closed and I decided my only other option was to go to my friend's house (even though my mom's house is a couple blocks from my friend away I didn't really want to see any of my relatives).

Longer story short, I was freezing when I got there but it went better than expected. I hadn't seen him in nearly a year but we're still pretty good friends and I was welcomed in.

On to what I'm planning on doing about this...
My plan right now is to stay here a night and go over to my mom's in the morning. I dunno what I'm gonna do about school since I don't have anything like my wallet (and thus my ID even though I can get in anyway), my keys, or my bag. Most likely gonna stay home tomorrow and borrow my brother's keys to get my stuff from dad's house.

I don't know what I'm gonna do about this whole thing though and it doesn't help that the reason I was living at my dad's in the first place was that I really don't get along with my mom...

Just thought I should let everyone know.

May or may not be on for a while. I almost definitely will not be as active in the DR, but I may be on Smashboards if you wanna PM, VM or just contact me some other way.
Don't email me though I don't check that. Best way to contact me is AIM. I'm on whenever I can be.

I'll check my VMs and PMs once a day at least in the worst case scenario.

Obviously I'll be checking this blog too.

This is Shadow Moth, signing off for the most part for a while.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
You skipped school to play video games? And you have more respect for your opponent in a game than your own father?

You should apologize to your father immediately and get your priorities straight.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
You skipped school to play video games? And you have more respect for your opponent in a game than your own father?

You should apologize to your father immediately and get your priorities straight.
I agree. But eh, Insetick, I doubt that he's skipped for videogames...

Despite the fact that I know how it feels to be stuck walking outside with little to nothing to cover yourself from cold. You do know that you are wrong. Sure, your dad shouldn't have put it to a physical level, but that does not justify anything. Also, running away from home is what it is, running away.

Go apologize and stop skipping. I've skipped like in total... 3 days of school in my entire life. And I'm already on my last year of high school. Out of those 3 days, 2 of them were to study for an exam. I didn't feel ready despite the number of hours I had spent studying the few weeks ago. And the last one was due to needing a break, I was literally blacking out on my desk every one or two minutes. Ended up sleeping at my friend's.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You were worried about being rude to your opponent when your father wanted to talk to you about skipping school... Yeah, your priorities need to be sorted out.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Moth.

Uninstall that Touhou crap.

First of all, it's a garbage game.

Second of all, you're letting this dumb game control your life.
It's a game where little girls throw freaking magic and **** at each other. Why the hell would you not go to school to play that? If I EVER skipped school to play video games, my parents would take away my Wii/ computer right then and there. Who the hell cares about being "respectful" to your opponent and finishing another worthless round? Even if you think their opinion of you is important, they're not going to hate you for that. Tbh, I don't blame your dad. If he's told you not do do it before and you still don't listen, then what else is he supposed to do to get you to? You're skipping school to play a video game. Do you realize how moronic that is? You do know that you're doing right now is the equivalent of not going to work to play World of Warcraft, right? It's not getting you anywhere. Be a normal person and go to school. It's not difficult.

So realize your mistake.
Go home.
Apologize to your dad and let him know that you understand that what you were doing was wrong.
Uninstall or LIMIT how much you play that dumb game. You lose nothing by not playing.
Don't skip school anymore.

So, yeah. You know I like you Moth. Stop being ********.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well I got into a fight with my dad again. It's been happening a lot recently but not like this. This got a little physical and I ran away.

Basically I skipped school (again) when I told him I wouldn't. When he found out he tried to confront me but I was in the middle of a match in the fighting game I play (Touhou Hisou Tensoku) and told him to wait a few minutes.

He's always impatient when it comes to these kinds of talks but this time he wouldn't wait at all. He told me a couple times to stop but I didn't want to be rude to my opponent and figured it wasn't that big a deal if he has to wait three minutes so I told him to wait. He got mad and closed my computer and proceeded to tackle me out of my chair.
He broke my headset in the process which pisses me off even more. the actual headset is fine but the cord was torn in two.
I kinda want to support you right now but

I can't.

You're acting like an idiot and a child.

Basically everything everyone else already said.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Reading the OP didn't really give me the picture that you were skipping to play, but rather, skipped school and then your dad later wanted to talk to you, while you were playing.

But nonetheless, Skyler has a valid point.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I send you love from the DR.

Even though you were being an idiot imo. Haha.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Don't think he was skipping school to play the video game, he was just playing the video game.

Making it physical is unforgivable for a parent imo. Breaking your stuff is already one thing, but tackling you? Pfft.

Give us your motivation for skipping school plz?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
You shouldn't of skipped school but your Dad shouldn't of laid a finger on you.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I express some of what the other said: get your priorities straight, Moth!
However your dad shouldn't have handled it physically and I'm sorry Moth but you were very disrespectful to your father.
What were you skipping for, exactly?

I wish the best for you and your father.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I really don't see the deal with physical punishment, but tackling in this case was OTT.
Because normally it makes you feel bad if you do it, even if it's justified in the scenario.

He didn't explicitly say he was skipping school to play video games, though either way you shouldn't do it. Your education is very, very important, which IMO a lot of kids don't value enough.

Your dad was wrong to tackle you, but you should apologise to him for being disrespectful... Running away is dumb.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
):! D'aw! Stay safe and such! Yeah, I do think you should listen to your father when he told you to turn off the video game. He is your father after all so you have to go by your rules so it is kind of your fault you are in this situation. I do agree he shouldn't have hit you like that, but he was probably furious that his own son isn't listening to him, skipping school, and just sitting home all day playing video games. I suggest try talking it out or something! Just stay safe and try and work things out!

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Moth.

Uninstall that Touhou crap.

First of all, it's a garbage game.

Second of all, you're letting this dumb game control your life.
It's a game where little girls throw freaking magic and **** at each other. Why the hell would you not go to school to play that? If I EVER skipped school to play video games, my parents would take away my Wii/ computer right then and there. Who the hell cares about being "respectful" to your opponent and finishing another worthless round? Even if you think their opinion of you is important, they're not going to hate you for that. Tbh, I don't blame your dad. If he's told you not do do it before and you still don't listen, then what else is he supposed to do to get you to? You're skipping school to play a video game. Do you realize how moronic that is? You do know that you're doing right now is the equivalent of not going to work to play World of Warcraft, right? It's not getting you anywhere. Be a normal person and go to school. It's not difficult.

So realize your mistake.
Go home.
Apologize to your dad and let him know that you understand that what you were doing was wrong.
Uninstall or LIMIT how much you play that dumb game. You lose nothing by not playing.
Don't skip school anymore.

So, yeah. You know I like you Moth. Stop being ********.
This is completely uncalled for. He never specifically stated he skipped to play the dumb game. It wasn't even that implied. All he said was that he was in the middle of a match when his dad tackled him.

Also, at everyone saying running away was dumb: If you had an overweight man trying to restrain you down(remember, this guy just tackled him), wouldn't you want to run away?

But...I will agree that walking out in the snow was a dumb thing to do. You should've stayed close by at a neighbor's place if you were worried about him hurting you. You have to think about your health.

And why did you skip in the first place? Yeah, school may seem like it is pointless at times but....in the end, it really does help you out. Plus it would have prevented this whole issue in the first place.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I know Moth well enough to figure that would be the reason he stayed home.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Don't skip school, period. No explanation needed on why you stayed home, when you skip a day of school to stay home you lose. I mean, come on, at least fake being sick or something.

Skipping class is a terrible thing to do. It's disrespectful to your teachers, disrespectful to whoever is paying for your education, and disrespectful to your father especially when you promised that you wouldn't skip anymore. Learn to value your education, because knowledge is incredibly important, and it's not something that everyone in the world is privileged with.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
If my dad was still alive, and I skipped school and I played video games, and then made my dad wait to be 'respectful' to some guy on the internets, my dad would've slapped me upside the head and I wouldn't have **** to say against it.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Poor Smothim. Don't let things bring you down. I know how it is, but remember that every has to go through some trials in life. They only make you stronger. My prayers are with you.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Your dad overreacted, but you brought it upon yourself.
This.

I was going to write a TL;DR post on this, but decided against it.

Your dad takes the time to talk to you, takes the time to stop you leaving.

Granted, he overreacted, but you weren't exactly being respectful about the situation either.

My foster parents would just lol if I made a big scene about leaving.

Because they don't care. I'll assume your father does.

Go back, get your priorities straight, and apologize. Express that you never liked it when he laid a hand on you.

If you guys aren't cool again after following my advice, I won't bother you anymore.

Just give it a try. Us telling you over the internet isn't going to change anything, you need to do it yourself. All we can do is offer some advice.

D

Deleted member

Imma would help you and all, but I'm gonna go with what most other people said.

You do know that you're doing right now is the equivalent of not going to work to play World of Warcraft, right?
Just saying, I smirked when I saw this, for some reason.

But in all earnest, I must say that you are the one to have made the mistake here. I just wrote something akin to Sauce's post, but deleted it because it was practically the same thing.

:urg:

I have a couple family problems right now, but to actually entangle yourself into a physical conflict with your own progenitor, that is entirely something else. It's completely disrespectful, and I see why your father was so angered at this.

To put it in perspective, simply apologise to him. And don't make it some minor effort to apologise either; you must mean it.

rhan

Smash Hero
LOL I love southern school systems.

They lose a kid and they don't give a ****. I swear I walked out of the school and went home plenty of times and they never notified my parents. And when I was able to drive, I just walked right by the security and said "I have an early out". AND when I did leave my school I went to my friend's school IN A DIFFERENT CITY and chilled in his school til it let out. Walked right by all my old teachers and all the security gaurds that KNOW I don't attend that school no more.

School's staffs dumb. Living northern must suck ****.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Wow so apparently my local library is undergoing renovations @_@

A lot less time on the internet than I had hoped.

First of all I didn't skip to play video games. I skipped because school isn't teaching me anything. Home is just the place I go when I skip.

Second, the reason I told him to wait is this isn't the first time I skipped and he had this talk with me before. I already knew what he was gonna say.

Also I'm not whining or complaining even if it sounds that way. I just wanted to let everyone know I probably wouldn't be on the internet for a while. Hell I don't even have my computer.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I highly doubt your dad tackled you and somehow tore a wire in half in the process.

Like, what, does he just have razor blades protruding out of his stomach or something?

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
What is it that school isn't teaching you?

It's school. You go to learn and its the law.

While I do think your dad overreacted, you disrespected him when he was trying to talk to you.

Top Bottom