• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A question to professional Brawl Players.

CptAwesome

Smash Rookie
Over a period of a month I have been juggling the idea of whether I should main Falcon or Ike.

It has come to my attention that the power that Falcon once had has ripped out of him by Sakurai, just like Zeus took Kratos' Godly power in God of War 2.

I’m finally joining the professional scene along the ranks of some really skilled competetors and I have just taken my game to a whole new level.

I know Falcon is a man among men, but the moratlity cost from Douglas J. to Rick Wheeler is constantly Paunching me in the back of my mind. Also, I know this is a bad idea asking this question in a General thread, but I’ve considered my fellow Brawlers to be mature enough to guide me in the right direction.

So with every great decision comes a consequence:

(I know it comes down to preference but in this case it a matter of an old favorite character versus a new powerhouse)

Falcon versus Ike?

Which Man Fire burns Brighter?

Reapd

Smash Apprentice
Ike. He has a better meta-game. And you know you could read their guides in the threads..........

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
the thread that says READ BEFORE POSTING said:
Picking a Main
The community cannot pick a main, secondary, or any type of character for you. It is recommended that you research the different character boards and just go with your own instincts after playing all the characters to make this type of PERSONAL decision. As such, we will not allow threads asking "who should I main" to be made.
I think this counts.

Denzi

Smash Master
And the winner is.....

Meta Knight!

/endthread
Wow! That response took me totally by surprise!
[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, it's all up to you. When you're leaving the descision up to a bunch of people you've never met before, you're going to get mixed responses (and some that are completely innacurate).

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You plan on going professional... and your choices are Falcon and Ike? O_o

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Nothing wrong with maining a character he enjoys. This should be more encouraged.

Either way, I'd say you should go ahead and main both. You can play both characters and take them to the competitive scene.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Buzz said:
Hey, maybe he'll surprise us. Ike does get that kind of ****** strength when he's all worked up.

-Ran

Smash Master
If you're going to go Professional, you essentially need to look at the tier list, and pick three characters from the list to get good with. Plug all match up holes that you have if you want to play professionally and make any manner of money. Captain Falcon and Ike won't take you very far.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
If you must choose between the two characters; and you're looking to WIN tournaments, I'd say go with Ike.
Falcon has really bad match-ups vs most of the cast; and with his little to no priority/approach, it becomes a hassle. To play Falcon, you have to have much, much more skill in the mental department than the other player. This was sort of true in Melee as well; it was just a lot easier to get kills with Falcon, since uthrow and dthrow to knee wasn't hard on the right characters at the right percents.
Ike requires you to be able to fully read your opponent, and to be able to predict their movements and their patterns and so on. Similar kind of mental strategy for both characters. Ike is only good in the hands of someone who is better than their opponent.

-Nox`

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If you must choose between the two characters; and you're looking to WIN tournaments, I'd say go with Ike.
Falcon has really bad match-ups vs most of the cast; and with his little to no priority/approach, it becomes a hassle. To play Falcon, you have to have much, much more skill in the mental department than the other player. This was sort of true in Melee as well; it was just a lot easier to get kills with Falcon, since uthrow and dthrow to knee wasn't hard on the right characters at the right percents.
Ike requires you to be able to fully read your opponent, and to be able to predict their movements and their patterns and so on. Similar kind of mental strategy for both characters. Ike is only good in the hands of someone who is better than their opponent.

-Nox`
This is a very very good posting, and I sign that.

I see in your sig that you're also maining Snake - I would use him for tournaments, actually.

CptAwesome

Smash Rookie
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. Im still new to the Brawl scene, and im glad to see that the community here is pretty friendly.

I think this counts.
Sorry about that, Im going to go read that right now -_-'

Similar kind of mental strategy for both characters.
-Nox`
O_o Wow i didnt know there was that much thought to using them, thanks for the advice.

Like I herd once in a game, "Its not the power of the Frame, its the skill of the Runner"
-ZOE2

So no matter how many guys rant on about tiers, videos, match-ups, and other things; Im going to stick to Falcon.
Call me crazy....
But it will make my victory all the more sweeter. :falcon:

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Both Falcon and Ike are hard to use in the upper echelons of play, be prepared to practice with both of them. Keep using both until you decide which one suits your style better, essentially.

Ike is a better character than Falcon statistically but after you pass the top tier everything players choose is a matter of preference anyways, so just go with the one you enjoy more.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
1) As the above poster said, both characters are in fact harder to use in higher level play. If you use them, more power to you, and more respect will come your way.

2) Character selection should always be a personal decision. Don't feel like you're forcing yourself to learn someone. For me, Meta Knight and the three space animals seemed to fit well with my playstyle. Thus I developed their skills to the next level. Toon Link on the other hand, I only partially developed him, I just felt like he wasn't a good match for me. So after trying to get good with him, I just dropped him as a "main." I still have skill with him, but I would rarely use him over my other 4 mains.

3) Of course, on the professional level, winning tournaments does have importance. But having fun has more importance. Of course, tourney wins could lead to fun (spending your winnings), or you could have fun while winning tourneys, etc etc. Whatever it is you do, have fun with it. Thus, don't feel compelled to win every tournament that you go to. I was too focused on winning tournaments for Melee and Brawl, and sometimes forgot that Smash was a game that was supposed to be fun. I mean, I do have fun winning, but there were times where I would...I guess over exert myself and force myself to do things to improve? Nowadays I kinda pace myself a bit more so it feels less like work.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Personal skill is indeed a personal factor, but just don't be upset when you come to the realization that your opponent brought a gun (Meta Knight) when all you brought was a knife (Ike).

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
@Buzz: I say Ike is more like a chained mace than a knife, but your point still stand though.

However Cpt, just do a character (or two) that you enjoy the most and play them in tournaments. If you start to lose with them and don't seem like you can get any better with Falcon and Ike, just switch to someone else.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
@Buzz: I say Ike is more like a chained mace than a knife, but your point still stand though.

However Cpt, just do a character (or two) that you enjoy the most and play them in tournaments. If you start to lose with them and don't seem like you can get any better with Falcon and Ike, just switch to someone else.
Or you could just skip to the second step. But seriously, unless you're clearly a more than step above all your opponents, you won't get far with falcon. If someone's stacking a deck of aces against you with metaknight or another high tier, you'll need some sort of advantage, you can't just say: "Even though I'm playing falcon I'm just gonna win anyway!" and expect to just pull a win out of thin air. It has to come from somewhere. Keep that in mind.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
If you become known as a pro player who mains Falcon or Ike, you'll have impressed me more than any smasher that has ever lived.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Or you could just skip to the second step. But seriously, unless you're clearly a more than step above all your opponents, you won't get far with falcon. If someone's stacking a deck of aces against you with metaknight or another high tier, you'll need some sort of advantage, you can't just say: "Even though I'm playing falcon I'm just gonna win anyway!" and expect to just pull a win out of thin air. It has to come from somewhere. Keep that in mind.
Or you can just take your time by learning the disavantages for certain match-ups (especially with harder opponents such as Pikachu and Olimar) and practice against them. It's not really that hard if you take the time to do it. Going high tier will not solve your problems and it will make you more lazier when it comes to beating others. And even then, high tiers are not perfect. They're just very good choices for many match-ups.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I don't even play ike exclusively anymore in tournaments. I think the only 2 who do nowadays that are worth noting are kirk and silven.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Or you can just take your time by learning the disavantages for certain match-ups (especially with harder opponents such as Pikachu and Olimar) and practice against them. It's not really that hard if you take the time to do it. Going high tier will not solve your problems and it will make you more lazier when it comes to beating others. And even then, high tiers are not perfect. They're just very good choices for many match-ups.
But the point is that you DON'T have to be lazy about it. Player high tier and being lazy are two different things. A person who tries their hardest with the best characters will defeat someone who only does one or the other.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Wow! That response took me totally by surprise!
[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, it's all up to you. When you're leaving the descision up to a bunch of people you've never met before, you're going to get mixed responses (and some that are completely innacurate).
It's the truth.... Why settle for the lowest if all you want to do is win? Metaknight is statistically the best choice, so why not use him?

TEECO

Smash Ace
You should pick the character you like the most.
But if you want to be more likely to win, and do better with, go with Ike.

Chaos Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Just main 'em both if you like 'em. Heck, I main MK, Lucario, Mario AND Sonic! None of them have a **** thing in common, yet I kick *** with each of them pretty well.

crewster

Smash Lord
FALCON not FALCO.
Just reserch the boards, play them both, see who you are better with.

Top Bottom