• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Metaknight timeline: How the times have changed.

cutter

Smash Champion
Now that we are in mid September MK is exerting his dominance in tournament play. However reading what has happened all throughout Brawl's short lifespan it is interesting to see where MK has come from.

September 2007: MK is confirmed as a playable character. "OMG he'll be a blast to play!"

February: Brawl released in Japan. MK is overlooked and most of the attention is on characters like Toon Link, Pit, and also characters like Wolf.

March: Brawl released in the US. People look at MK and go "this guy has everything but he can't kill to save his life". The majority of the community acknowledges MK's crazy strengths but saw his "lack of kill moves" to be such a major hinderance for him.

April-June: Competitive play begins to take substance. Snake dominates the tournament scene with MK after him. MK is definately seen in the upper eschelons of play, but nowhere near the prescene Snake had. People start to realize "hey MK isn't bad at killing after all!". Up B, glide attack, Dsmash, Nair, and Dair for gimping were all discovered as very viable kill moves for MK some time or later.

July: Infinite Cape glitch discovered. All hell breaks loose.

August: MK begins to overtake Snake as the top character in competitive play (as seen in the character rankings). His dominance begins to overtake that of Snake's and go even further. More and more people flock to MK or at least use him as a secondary. This exponentially accelerates MK's metagame to new levels. As people abandon their previous mains or just spend more time with MK, other characters' metagames (especially for the low tier characters) start to stagnate. SBR tier list is released and MK is at the top of the top. Talks of MK being banned start to surface.

September: MK is now unquestionably character to beat in competitive play. In the character rankings, MK gets a tier of his own thanks to his huge showing unlike any other character. The cries for MK to be banned increase. More players devote time to MK, further tipping the scales.

I just found this all interesting. Thoughts?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Lol, I remember when it was released in Japan, and Metaknight was the "fast but weak" guy.

Master Raven

Smash Master
This is very accurate. I think his dominance might slow down in the coming months though.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This is very accurate. I think his dominance might slow down in the coming months though.
History always has a funny habit of repeating itself.

Meta Knight is not the first thing in Brawl that has been called to ban. Dedede, Ice Climbers, Snake, Chain Grabs/Release Grabs have all had their point in the spot light. Now Meta Knight is their new focus of complaints. Maybe in the near future we will have a new one.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Only one nitpick.

September 2007: Brawl is announced and MK is confirmed as a playable character. "OMG he'll be a blast to play!"
Try May 2006 (First E3 trailer).

But yes, this is a very interesting perspective.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Good timeline. Fun to look back at the times when people thought Pit and wolf were broken :p

"he has 2 reflecters and a spammable arrow....BROKEN!!!!"

-:bowser:Bowser King

Royale

Smash Journeyman
it would be interesting if every character board here made this timeline, it would make for an interesting read all around

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah you're right Brawl was announced at E3 back in '06; I meant to mention the time when MK was confirmed a playable character ;)
If you're in a trailer, it's basically an official confirmation anyway. ;)

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
My prediction

December 2008: People start to realize that MK does not belong in his own separate tier. The reason MK was used so much was because he was a popular, fun, not too hard to learn character. Which is why he was used so much in tournaments.

We'll see DDD and Snake have about the same tourny wins RATIO as MK.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's if the Dedede and Snake mains don't flock to MK first. :D

I hope that everyone doesn't go to MK, but the reality is that MK is probably gonna win just the same amount of tournaments. You might have MK MAINS win the same as Snake mains, but if you count the people that have him as a secondary then he's probably still gonna stay ahead.

Amide

Smash Lord

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I don't ever remember anyone calling Pit and Wolf broken, though. Snake got his moments, sure, but those other guys were all just 'very good' at the time.

It is also quite true that a lot of this game is centered around MK. It's hard to find any character board without a topic asking, "How do I beat MK with _____". He's even got a topic dedicated to beating Mach Tornado in TD.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
true. true.

AH FORGET SNAKE LET'S MAIN MK

i'd rather have my nuts chopped off.

well on second thought..

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping that people will not flock so much to MK. I'd like to see some other characters win the tourneys so that MK doesn't have as bad of a reputation. Then again, MK is really easy to pick up, so things might not change that much...

My hope is that they really do, though.

I love how, in the timeline, everyone wants to play MK when his release is confirmed, but everyone hates him now. So true. I was uber excited for his release, too, and I still love MK, but I just wish that things were a bit different than they are now, as far as MK goes =\

LSDX

Wah!
Ah yes, I remember those days where I hyped Metaknight to no end. Now two things have occurred:
1). Metaknight is too 00ber (not as g00d as Roy, because MK doesn't have T3H PH13R!!1!)
2). Melee>Brawl...Nuff Said...

Saltix

Smash Lord
Actually I hate tier lists, I was just pointing out that Metaknight doesn't have his own tier.
Character Rankings, not tier list. ;)

I remember the whole "Lack of kill moves" and the "Infinite Dimension Cape discovery".

As my US history teacher says: "We live in historic times"

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
July: Infinite Cape glitch discovered. All hell breaks loose.
I'm gonna sig that ****

also, i think it's slightly accurate. That event from April to June was possibly as long as from April to May

IMO, I think June was the month as to when people found out how much of a BS character he was. In short, ' The meta hate.' Many johns took place and the amount of hate as well, as they hate to see a character with such strengths, near non existant weaknesses, and the learning curve was not difficult at all compared to top tiers like Fox in the Melee days.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I love looking back at the time when people thought Pit was broken. Then people started playing him and couldn't do jack.

But anyway I do think that MK will slow down soon. I don't ever see him falling from the top tier, but his dominance should even out with Snakes pretty soon I think, with DeDeDe close behind them. The reason being that the "MK is broken" discussions have created a major backlash against the character. People devote alot of time specifically towards finding ways to beat him, and if they search hard enough, they will find it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The reason being that the "MK is broken" discussions have created a major backlash against the character. People devote alot of time specifically towards finding ways to beat him, and if they search hard enough, they will find it.
You're too good. Man, I **** MK's all the time wtf.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think in june-ish is when people started to realize that mk was at least top two, and when people saw that mk was advantage or at worst even v mk, hell started breaking loose.

LastDay

Smash Rookie
I'm kinda sad that he's too good.

I wished that Metaknight would be in the next game when I was playing melee.

I went all Zomg! when I saw he got in, because he's one of my favorite characters style wise.

Now if I ever took brawl seriously and played against good human opponents everybody would just go "meh, so overpowered" should I win.

Oh well. Dunno why it matters to me as I only play it casually, anyway.
Still, it's interesting to watch how things develope and I'll continue watching what happens.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Um... awkward.
???

Anyway, MK won't stay the only character that people whine about forever. He's not going to get much worse, and he might never drop from the number 1 spot, but I think he'll probably move closer to the rest of the cast over time.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I picked him up just to learn how to ditto him to remove him as a worry of mine instead of complaining. I co-main pikachu and sonic, so unless I want to pick up G&W or D3, I didn't have another option.

Top Bottom