• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Dissertation on Snake's Dash Attack and Mortar Slide

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
University of Minnesota (Green Bay Wisconsin in Su
Umm..just keep practicing and gradually increase your speed in training mode. I know it's difficult at first but believe me it will soon be second nature.

Just a quick check:
-Did you turn off tap jump?
-Specifically, which method are you using for the no-contact slide?
I tried

Dash to A to A Up

Dash to C-Stick down to C-Stick up

Dash to C-stick down to A Up + Z

Do I hold the over while doing dash and hit whichever button combo?

Or do I let go of the "over on the control stick" then C-stick .. etc... (whichever button combo)

fictor

Smash Rookie
Yeah, just started to practice it and I'm trying to *switch* from my GC controller to the Wii Classic controller. One of the Main problem is that the C stick is a little bit *slower* to get to the edge*, you need (exept if you are unhuman or incredibly fast) to make you move without going to the extreme* and then You still can do the Mortar Slide with C, it just need more Precision and being able to stop your movement at the exact time that the key got registered.

The best way i've found to do it is to run, C down C up, So you gotta be quick finger with the Wii classic hehe. Maybe run A, C up too would be good but, I manage to get it more often with both C.

BTW, the no contact mortar slide one is hard tought, i found that the Z are REALLY HARD to press while executing the C stick maneuver, that's why I'm still debating if I should start playing with this controller.

FictoR //GW & Snake
PS : when I put a * it's because I'm french and maybe the Word isn't the best for the situation, but that's the best I've found. Sorry :)

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I tried

Dash to A to A Up

Or do I let go of the "over on the control stick" then C-stick .. etc... (whichever button combo)
To answer your question, it doesn't matter whether you hold it or not, it just matters that you execute the button presses.

This is really something that takes speed, which is a little ironic since I'm saying practice in slow-mo, but that's just to get the right frame of the button presses. Practice, trust me you'll get it.

Also all those methods work. (There's also dash attack with A --> up+Z)

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
I think I finally got the most comfortable by using, Dash to c-stick to Up+A. Flicking the cstick down then up wasn't working on mine (my cstick is a bit dull I think), and A to Up+A is too insanely fast. c-stick to Up+A just feels smooth and nice for it.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
I tried

Dash to A to A Up

heres how i do it

i start dashing but i put the stick up in to the top right or top left(depending on which way im going) then i tap the c-stick left or right(depending on direction) then press z

link 6321

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3909-8008-4987
yes this is the best method ive tried, its not as hard as you would think, i was frustrated for like what, 5 minutes? read Trip.'s thread, i found it most helpful, thanks abunch man. okay here is how to break this down..
1.) use c-stick down for the dash.
2.)as the grunt sound is made immediatly press up c-stick + z

idk how to make it anymore clear than that guys.

Steamroll3929

Smash Cadet
yeah i use the exact same method as mentioned in the first post and i can no contact snake dash at will now

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
found another. Dash with up forward. ALWAYS DASH this way.

Now, hit cstick down and then z, as if doing a down smash. Works almost 100 percent, only misses as often as
you can miss charging cstick moves with z. If you can cstick down plus z for a fully charged mine, you can do this, just always dash holding up forward in case you need the mortarslide.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I would like to ask who came up with this technique. It's cause I saw IGN has a video about it aswell but I highly doubt they figured it out on their own. If so they need to reference the finders. Anyone else agree or disagree? Do you think as smashboards members we should approach them about this or can they just use use our techniques for vids without referencing?

Find the vid HERE

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
It is worth noting that this is extremely easy to pull off (non-contact more than contact) using a Wiimote and Nunchuk...

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
I tend to prefer classic controller, but you can't use Z(zR or zL) to do it cause it's so puny, however if you turn tap jump off and use alternete techniqe #3 it is easy for classic.

gehaga

Smash Cadet
I use Dash-> Down c-stick-> Up controlstick+Z. but with characters other then snake i map the L button to attack and press L and Z at the same time with Up control stick, it helps to reduces the amount of times i fail.

BrainDagger

Smash Rookie
I was wondering something

I use the Wiimote+Nunchuck setup with a slew of custom controls. Normally I don't play with Shake Smash on, but of course it makes Mortar Slides really easy.

But I have a theory. I can't really test it because I'm really crappy at mortar slides still, and am not yet sure if this will work. But I was thinking, what if you map the C button on the nunchuck to be your normal attack, and then up on the wiimote to be your smash attack. In theory, that would mean an easy two finger two button press to pull off a mortar slide. Can someone a little more adept at mortar sliding find out if this actually works?

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Hey I main ness but im picking up Snake as a secondary so I think I should learn how to mortar slide. Anyway I have my c stick set to specials for B Sticking so what is the easiest way to mortar slide without the c stick??

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
...So... pretending that there's probably not a section that covers pure control-stick mortar slides, it's simple. Dash, dash attack, immediately up-smash. All on the control stick. Kinda like doing a quarter circle from dash attack to usmash, only not so...

Just practice it a bit.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
...So... pretending that there's probably not a section that covers pure control-stick mortar slides, it's simple. Dash, dash attack, immediately up-smash. All on the control stick. Kinda like doing a quarter circle from dash attack to usmash, only not so...

Just practice it a bit.
Don't forget to turn tap jump off if you're going to use the control stick for usmash.

bazooka85

Smash Rookie
The only way I've been able to do the no contact mortar slide at full speed is to start the dash, flick the C-stick down while moving the direction stick up (I have tap jump off), them I immediately slide my thumb up and hit A for the up smash. It's the only way I've gotten it to work.

It's so frustrating because I can get a direction + A mortar slide pretty consistently at 2/3 speed but that extra 33% of speed destroys me.
extra 50% speed ;) i know the date of this post btw. . .

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
It's not that hard. Just do it faster and you should be able to do it, although at first you might have frames of the dash attack showing itself...

And why did you feel the need to bump this thread?

BRANman

Smash Cadet
it didnt take that long to learn. I can do it no contact a good percent of the time. i havent done it with contact tho...at least i havent connected with the dash and then went into a mortar slide.

i did it down c-stick > up-control stick + z
i can do it better if im already running

unsung-unit2291

Smash Cadet
I found the timing to mirror that whole "bow chica woww woww" phrase.

Using the method of Dash -> Cstick down -> Up+Z

Dash =Bow
Cstick down= chic
Up+Z= A

If that helps anyone. : P

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Just so people know, after this post, DO NOT BUMP THIS THREAD, IT IS ALMOST 2 YEARS OLD AND DOES NOT NEED A BUMP

-------------------------no more posty-------------------------

Top Bottom