• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a brawler who is thinking about joining into the melee scene.

link2702

Smash Champion
and I want c.falcon to be my main, he is one of my fav characters to use in brawl, even though he's crap in it, with all the meta***s running around and ruining the brawl scene as well, i figured maybe i should try to join in on the melee scene, I need some advice. I NEVER got into melee's tournament scene originally, all i had where cpus to face, and my family would of beat me senseless if i attempted to ask to go to a videogame tournament back then, espicially considering how far off the only place that holds smash tournies is.

so brawl was my first run into "competitive" smash, thanks to wifi, and though i was skeptical at first of going to offline tournies myself in brawl as well(main reason was like before, distance problem, though now with my own license, and job, i have my own money to do whatever the hell i want with, which back then....) i eventually did, and i enjoyed myself for the most part....cept for the constant stream of metawhores running around :\

well now my state as a whole is starting to get back into melee, and now that i got a taste of competitive brawl, I wanna try melee now as well, where I can actually know my oppenent had skill to beat me, with say for instance, the best character fox, unlike in brawl where "lol pick metaknight up and start to pwn in a few hours"

drawback is i'm so used to brawls mechanics, slower speed, auto ledge grabbing, ect., that i'm even doing horribly lousy against the lvl 9 cpus in melee, which i used to (obviously) slaughter.

i know its not really all that recomended to face cpus, but i wanna at least get back into the feel of melee's mechanics first, as well as actually learn some *REAL* combos with falcon(ima guessing you can perform em on cpus just as well as players right?), which brawl has very few of.

so...any advice?

*puts the flame shield down.*

scorekid100

Smash Apprentice
well before learning combos you have to learn certain advanced techniques. I'm no falcon expert but I think SHFFLing is very important which means you have to learn L canceling. Also cpus aren't really that good to practise against because they di different. Good luck.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
You're not going to be flamed. Put your shield down.

Now are you SURE you want to play Falcon? He is arguable the hardest high tier to play as in melee. He can be frustrating at times.

I recommend learning the advance techniques before you start asking about character specific stuff because most of the stuff we'll tell you to do you want be able to do yet.

here are some vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM&feature=related

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
One thing I will tell you to learn how to do EXTREMELY well with Falcon is: recovering. Learn how to switch up your recovery everytime, because if they predict you correctly and knock you offstage, you're more than likely going to lose a stock. Along with recovering, it is pretty essential to learn ledge teching, for those moments when Marths want to fsmash you when you're going to upB for the ledge and miss the sweetspot.

Other than that, just learn SHFFL'ing well with Falcon, because a majority of his combos rely on it.

ALSO, you have to be very observative(not even a word...?) with Falcon. Read your opponent's tech patterns to specific situations, like when you dthrow a spacy. This is very important when trying to combo or just in general, hurt your opponent.

Best of luck, Falcon ***** >=D

link2702

Smash Champion

Now are you SURE you want to play Falcon? He is arguable the hardest high tier to play as in melee. He can be frustrating at times.

I recommend learning the advance techniques before you start asking about character specific stuff because most of the stuff we'll tell you to do you want be able to do yet.

here are some vids

thank you for the vids, and yes, I definatly wanna learn falcon, much like i dedicated a huge amount of my time training as pit in brawl, i am willing to do with falcon in melee now, Its just gonna take me alot longer to truely learn him, due to how much more technical melee is, as well as how much faster it is compared to brawl, and also considering that i'm still used to brawls physics engine, but yes, i am definatly going to make my main, falcon.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
SHFFL is definitely the most important thing to learn as Falcon. Get used to using the C-stick for all of your aerials except for nair, and from there, practice doing short hop aerials with Falcon. Don't worry if you can't short hop right away, it'll come with enough practice. The way I got down short hopped aerials was by practicing SH double fair with Marth--he has the same jump speed as CF in Melee but SHDF has really strict timing. If you can SHDF consistently then short hop aerials with Falcon will seem easy.
Following that, practice L-canceling (pressing L right when you land after an aerial to halve landing lag), then fast-falling after the aerial.
All together you should be doing short hop -> aerial -> fast fall -> L-cancel. It seems like a lot, but you'll do the sequence almost without thinking after a while. And don't worry if you can't get it right away, it took me five months to be able to SHFFL with every aerial consistently.

Some of the combos that you'll be able to pull off after learning this include:

*At mid-high percents* dair -> full hop -> double jump -> knee (Falcon's staple finisher)
*At low percents* dair -> knee (with some characters, like Samus, you can follow up with a second or even a third knee)
*At mid percents* dthrow/raptor boost -> nair -> uair -> knee
*At mid percents* uthrow/dthrow -> uair -> knee (you can do multiple uairs but don't get carried away)
*At 70-80% on Fox and Falco* dair -> Falcon punch (if they don't DI at all)
*On fast fallers at low/mid percents* uthrow/dthrow -> tech chase -> regrab/raptor boost/dair

There are more than this, you can mix it up to fit the situation.

Actually getting in a position to combo with Falcon is a different game entirely though, one of the most difficult aspects about him. This requires you to be unpredictable, and practicing with CPUs won't help you get good at this.

P.S. Welcome to the fold.

link2702

Smash Champion
the main thing i'm practicing with cpus for, is mostly to get back into the feel of melee's physics, and to practice the things like L-canceling, wavedashing ect. plus, although i will start going to my states local melee tournaments now(held the same places as brawl ones), the majority of the smashers here all live like a 2 hour long drive away from where i am so its difficult for me to honestly play against real players on a daily basis(hence the reason i loved brawl so much originally, since wifi really allowed me to play people constantly) mix in my job, and its pretty hard for me to train constantly against real people which is why i know it'll take me quite longer to truely get good at melee, but i'm willing to do it.

<_< it'd be nice if some of my close by friends weren't such huge sony nuts, but even then, none of them are into competitive gaming honestly.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
my niggggggg

picking up falcon is tough work

if your not gonna be playing people regularly, i recommend fox or falco

just because you can work on your tech skill all day

like i said if your only gonna play someone once a month, its gonna take you minimum a year and a half to be good

and i dont think you want that kind of commitment

so yea man.. pick up spacies first for tech skill

then maybe later move on to falcon

Wiggins

Smash Ace
Jona brings up a good point. Even if you want to pick up Falcon, go for a space animal. Fox and Falco = GREAT tech skill workout.

Another point of advice, don't go against lvl 9's. Go for lvl 1, 3, or 5. All level 9's do is perfect shield and jab you out of everything with their ******** knowledge of perfect frames(seeing as how they're cpu's it makes sense). All lvl 9's are gonna do is restrict your ability to learn all the tech, honestly. But that's just my opinion. I prefer level 1's. Welcome to the competitive world of Super Smash Bros Melee!

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
lmao thats how it works

falcon sucks, pick someone else, but everyone else is gay in this game, so stick with falcon, but falcon sucks

ahahaha

legion598

Smash Ace
it is essential that u can L cancel all of falcons aireals consistently when it connects and when it doesnt before u even start to do combos. U also need to get used to dash dancing which sounds simple but u really need to be precise with your spacing. and finally do not learn combos by fighting computers it is essential that u understand the concept of following DI and tech chasing which cant be learned against CPUs. unfortunatley falcon is a character that requires u to play ALOT of ppl in order to learn him

Animal

Smash Lord
my advice, go out and play with good people. The more you get ***** the quicker you'll learn.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Hah, don't expect random flaming from anyone on the melee boards (except like virusBANNEDmage :))

And yeah, when i quit brawl after a month or w/e i had the same problem vs the computers.. Just play the low level ones and practice your technical skill; l cancel EVERYTHING, there's no reason not to. Remember, when you first start trying to use ATs you get worse at first.. But then when you get good at them, they DO help, and a lot too. Try to get to where you have to think like "I have to wavedash" instead of "I have to jump and press L or R with perfect timing while holding a specific direction".

B0x

Smash Apprentice
hmm if your just by yourself with no1 to play, you should practice tech skill and combos on lv1-3 cpus.

play peaple who r better then you. i hadnt played melee in like 5 yeaars then i came back and doubled my skill in like a week playin my friends who r way better then me. =]

Hax

Smash Champion
falcon is the hardest character in the game to play lol, you have to have a really good understanding of mindgames and decision-making if you're gonna play him. imo start with fox in training mode to get tech skill down, then use sheik in real matches to get smarter at the game

pretty much what i did

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
jona and hax are right

learn space animals for tech skill. going sheik... i dunno if that makes you smarter .. probably just gayer. in any case, i think experience will make you smarter, not so much sheik herself. but yeah just pick up fox or something so that you can consistently perform ATs and then learn strategy with falcon. from there just **** everyone lol

Fade2Nothing

Smash Rookie
ahh im also in the same situation as you lol
and i dont have any1 to play with so i guess i shouldnt use falcon
this thread was really helpful thanks

kupo15

Smash Hero
When you practice your L cancels, make sure you practice them on a character. The timing from an l cancel is different if you hit them or not so only practicing empty shffls will make things really hard when fighting someone.

Another great habit to get into is using rolls and sidesteps with the Cstick. Unlike brawl (which actually performs a random assortment of actions) you can simple hold the Cstick and frame perfect dodges. This is enormously helpful if you want to roll away after landing an aerial on a shield. You simple hold the direction during the l canceled lag and you get a frame perfect roll that is harder to punish without timing.

You should also get in the habit of using Cstick down for dthrows. The mechanic works the same as above and will help get of the quickest dthrow possible.

If you really want to get into hardcore Csticking (something I'm considering trying but not sure if its a good idea) is to situationally roll the Cstick in the direction of the aerial you want to perform IF you attempt to do a double aerial in the air. The reason being because you can input Cstick commands without resetting the Cstick (unlike brawl of course) as long as it registers a different direction. You can't just hold a direction to continuously buffer aerials like you can rolls but you can roll the stick to attempt to achieve the same effect. 1 cm up counts as a different input. It might make things like Uair>Uair>Uair easier to do because there is no timing if you get good at rolling. The down side is it also might make control of exactly when you want the move to come out challenging which is why you should only play around with it if you want immediate aerials.

whong09

Smash Rookie
Dang this thread is quite disheartening. I want to main Falcon but I don't have a lot of experience against real competitors. I think I've got the tech down pretty well; I can pull out a SHFFL whenever and I'd say my control is better than an average beginner's. Still, is it really recommended for me to play a space animal first? I plan on playing a lot of decent players soon, going to join the smash club at my uni. Could I straight up learn to play Falcon if I just work at it? Or will I miss something crucial that I could learn?

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
the main idea behind using a space animal first is to gain consistent tech skill. if you have that, then yeah just skip em

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

here are some vids

I swear I was going to post it!!!!!!!!!

my advice, go out and play with good people. The more you get ***** the quicker you'll learn.
somewhat true. Depends on the person's motivation. Some people are motivated to improve by *** whoopings. Others see the HUGE gap between them and a good player and just give up.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
falcon is the hardest character in the game to play
Thank you! No one believes me when I tell them this. Falcon is definitely the hardest and probably most frustrating character to play. When I say that people either tell me to stop johning or switch characters. But Jona was right, every other character in this game is stupid. Except Ganon.

Top Bottom