• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

7.0.3 discussion

Veril

Frame Savant
It's in the working copy now.

Removed the SP line.

Looks like everything is set. Perhaps we'll have a release party this evening?
Other than Sonic's nair (which I believe Blind has already fixed) and VaNz Bowser criticisms, we are set. Now if everyone who would ***** after the fact, possibly say, 3+ months after the fact get that *****ing in asap, that would be really nice. I'm seriously not willing to backtrack on character changes. Bowser needs discussion, clearly, and the only person making suggestions is VaNz. I'm not holding back this set unless real discussion is taking place. Seriously. Do this now. In the B+broom thread.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I had a wall of text on Bowser but Smashboards crashed as I was posting the reply so I lost it <_>
I'll type it up again later today when I'm done with school.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder, what is the basis for which Sakurai Angles should or should not be adjusted, and furthermore, is the readjustment of moves with Sakurai Angles a blanket buff, or is the concept of "buff/nerf" up for grabs?

We did not, to my knowledge, established a clear foundation of what criteria Sakurai Angle adjustments are to be judged upon. There's little concrete evidence to what exactly Sakurai Angles induce in regards to killing capacity. Despite our limited scope on its effects from what was observed as simply end-users and players, we decided, from what we could conclude was for the best, to remove Sakurai Angles on certain moves.

To play Devil's Advocate, the grounds for the change are shaky at best, and even then, some Sakurai Angles still remain. The selection process for which moves to adjust: equally shaky.

What justifies the angle modification of a kill move? If it is a kill move of course. Even if it seems obvious that a certain move IS a kill move for that character, what are the grounds to adjust it? If we do adjust it, who is to say it is a buff? Is it suppose to be a buff? Is this a half-finished attempt at a tune-up of game mechanics that we hope is a blanket buff for everyone?

And lastly, who is to give a ****? Certainly the same people who think that they must risk their dignity, honor, and life to uphold the integrity of some video game character's ability to perform in some mediocre party-wannabe-fighter, right? But those people are rarer and rarer by the day. Few people post here, and to be honest I wish that weren't the case. If more people could offer their arbitrary amount of E-cash on Smashboards where discussions are automatically documented for you, instead of via phone, IMs, and IRCs, issues like 'being out of the loop' wouldn't exist.

What was the 'restructuring of the WBR' about exactly? I certainly don't remember and would love to be reminded.

And this post isn't meant to criticize anyone in particular. However I do think there is something awry with how things are as-is. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a child.

Blinds

Smash Cadet
You know, I wonder, what is the basis for which Sakurai Angles should or should not be adjusted, and furthermore, is the readjustment of moves with Sakurai Angles a blanket buff, or is the concept of "buff/nerf" up for grabs?
Veril and I went through all of the Sakurai angles on a case by case basis. Because the Sakurai Angles are actually good for comboing any move that could combo was left alone. Kill moves on the other hand were changed so that they would actually kill off the side instead of at their kill percents pull to the corner, thus dragging matches on longer. Most moves received a standard 35 degree angle. If a move already killed rediculously early, it was given a 40 or 45 degree angle. If a move was terribad and didn't kill rediculously, it was given a 30 degree angle.

We did not, to my knowledge, established a clear foundation of what criteria Sakurai Angle adjustments are to be judged upon. There's little concrete evidence to what exactly Sakurai Angles induce in regards to killing capacity. Despite our limited scope on its effects from what was observed as simply end-users and players, we decided, from what we could conclude was for the best, to remove Sakurai Angles on certain moves.

To play Devil's Advocate, the grounds for the change are shaky at best, and even then, some Sakurai Angles still remain. The selection process for which moves to adjust: equally shaky.
Before going through and changing them, Veril and I did extensive testing on the angle. We did notice an increase in angle as percent raised that we did not see with static angle moves. Not to mention that the Sakurai angle trips.

And lastly, who is to give a ****? Certainly the same people who think that they must risk their dignity, honor, and life to uphold the integrity of some video game character's ability to perform in some mediocre party-wannabe-fighter, right? But those people are rarer and rarer by the day. Few people post here, and to be honest I wish that weren't the case. If more people could offer their arbitrary amount of E-cash on Smashboards where discussions are automatically documented for you, instead of via phone, IMs, and IRCs, issues like 'being out of the loop' wouldn't exist.
If you want to know why I don't post, and instead use phone, IM, IRC, it's because I'm very dyslexic. And smashboards color scheme is not kind to me. Reading your post and typing this up has taken me 45 minutes so far. But because I want to be involved, I use alternative means.

Now as for other people, I do not know why they do not get involved. Be it posting, calling, whatever. But tbh, I'm almost glad this kind of drama is happening because it's getting people off of their *****. But even still, people are simply complaining instead of DOING something.

Veril

Frame Savant
Sometimes Viet, you just gotta accept that you don't know what you are talking about, rather than write a wall of text about your lack of understanding. At least I wish sometimes that were the case, as it wastes my time responding to crap like this. Really most people only really became active several months after the release of 6.0, and that was because of the 7.0 release. You were an exception, but that was because of dissatisfaction with your main. The sakurai angle changes are something that took a long long long time and a ton of work on the part of Blind and I. Moves were adjusted on a case-by-case basis, focusing on moves that could KO but not combo. Most moves so altered were changed to a 35° angle, this was a blanket buff. Some moves were changed to 40 or 45° angles if they already were extremely powerful (see Lucario's forward smash). A few rare moves were given other angles (such as bowser's weak bair), when the moves had multiple hitboxes and we wanted to match the weak with the strong, etc.

As to smashboards vs. iRC/Aim/phone. Beyond the lack of activity here by the majority of members of the wbr (prior to like a week ago when people pulled their heads out of the ground) and the ease of use of alternate methods... the wbr has never been used exclusively to transmit information and it never will be. There's a separate forum for PM on brawlplus.net, and even given that I am sure the bulk of discussion goes on elsewhere, in bits and pieces of conversation between the people working on it. That is simply the nature of any of these projects.

Now as for other people, I do not know why they do not get involved. Be it posting, calling, whatever. But tbh, I'm almost glad this kind of drama is happening because it's getting people off of their *****. But even still, people are simply complaining instead of DOING something.
This. Also, holy **** that was the longest post I've ever seen from Blind ever. He must've been really pissed!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Veril and I went through all of the Sakurai angles on a case by case basis. Because the Sakurai Angles are actually good for comboing any move that could combo was left alone. Kill moves on the other hand were changed so that they would actually kill off the side instead of at their kill percents pull to the corner, thus dragging matches on longer.
I know you too divided the work amongst yourselves, and so it seems a lot of things were missed due to the sheer amount of work required for 40 or so characters.

Moves like Ganon's reverse Warlock Punch and Link's Fair (both were fixed) initially did not have their Sakurai Angles removed. The task of going case-by-case for 40 or so characters is daunting, if not only because of the time involved.

How I interpret this: moves are either combo moves (let's put jabs and trip-inducing moves here as well) or kill moves. This seems very black and white, but certainly some moves must be in the gray, no?

I've only looked at a few characters (namely those I play before one tries to reach their own conclusions), but a lot of moves still retain their Sakurai Angles, even if it's not beneficial to them. Why is that, is it a mistake (and if it is anyone can easily fix it).

Marth has a lot of Sakurai Angles in his moveset, and so while I'm not too fond on discussing him again:

Ftilt: Is a kill move, no Sakurai Angle change.
Nair: Tip is a kill move, no Sakurai Angle change.

Now these moves seem to fit into the black-and-white quite well. Nair is leaning a bit towards gray due to its flub hitboxes having combo capabilities.

However, there are also moves with a bit of gray area:

Dancing Blade (finale neutral): Now we nerfed the knockback of this move so that it would no longer be a reliable (and spammable) kill move. However the finale hit is certainly NOT a combo move, but it's not exactly a kill move either. If it's not one or the other, should it be changed? It wasn't changed, so is the answer no?

Marth's and Ike's Counter: Both of these moves did not receive Sakurai Angle changes either. Now these aren't combo inducing moves...but they aren't pure kill moves either, in fact, the only factor that determines its killing ability is what it counters! I believe this is in a gray (imo).

Wolf Ftilt (final hitboxes): It isn't a kill move, but like DBN4, it also doesn't combo by any speck of the imagination.

Toon Link Fair: Here's a big one. This move did not receive Sakurai Angle adjustments, but it is a kill move, however at lower percents it sets up nicely for strings (which of course are a lot like combos). This move seems to fall more in the "like Link Fair accident" box than the "gray area" box, but that's just from my observations of how closely the two moves work, and yet supposedly received different judgment calls (was not decided on during the quick PM regard Sakurai Angles sent to the "Voting Committee."

Interestingly enough, Marth is also perhaps of the handful of characters that somehow received a nerf in these Sakurai Angle adjustments (believe me this seems so minor that it was just odd to see, no hate bros):

Dsmash has two 'flub' hitboxes around Marth's body on each swing (hitboxes 2 and 3 on each swing). They used to be angle 361...which was oddly enough a nice perk. Those flubs would then send slightly horizontal, and basically be a slightly stronger-than-flub-Fsmash! However these angles did not receive the 25-40 degree treatment, but had their angles homogenized with the other hitboxes to have matching vertical trajectories.
---------------------------

I'm sure there are a lot more moves that suffer being 'skipped' or 'being in a gray area', which is why I asked: "Is this a half-finished attempt at a 'minor' mechanics change?" The large majority of moves DO NOT want Sakurai Angles, only a few do (namely jabs and trip-inducing tilts).

Also if they do happen to be mistakes then I or anyone can easily fix them. If to help this project I need to make enemies with former comrades by being a ***** then I guess there's no helping it. It seems you suddenly become an enemy to the state the moment you even attempt to constructively criticize anything.

The sakurai angle changes are something that took a long long long time and a ton of work on the part of Blind and I. Moves were adjusted on a case-by-case basis, focusing on moves that could KO but not combo. Most moves so altered were changed to a 35° angle, this was a blanket buff. Some moves were changed to 40 or 45° angles if they already were extremely powerful (see Lucario's forward smash). A few rare moves were given other angles (such as bowser's weak bair), when the moves had multiple hitboxes and we wanted to match the weak with the strong, etc.
So then you understand that when only two people tackle a task like that that mistakes are bound to happen, or some things are missed. I am not denying the amount of work required for that task, but I do know the amount of error that can happen with a task as tedious as that.

If you are suggesting that I lack understanding on the amount of work you and Blinds did, I do not. I am not here to undermine anyone's work and that I hope you take my criticisms objectively not personally.

As to smashboards vs. iRC/Aim/phone. Beyond the lack of activity here by the majority of members of the wbr (prior to like a week ago when people pulled their heads out of the ground) and the ease of use of alternate methods... the wbr has never been used exclusively to transmit information and it never will be. There's a separate forum for PM on brawlplus.net, and even given that I am sure the bulk of discussion goes on elsewhere, in bits and pieces of conversation between the people working on it. That is simply the nature of any of these projects.
I am aware of this since I've been admitted here as long as you have. However there are several other factors as to why things are the way they are. No one is to blame, as we've all basically agreed to this way. That's not to say it's the best in all cases, but I'm sure you understand.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Just some thoughts on the patch... I typed this out once and then Smashboards crashed so I lost it... I need to start saving what I'm typing ._. Anywho, this will be quick because I don't feel like typing out the entire thing again.

The new SSS just feels weird to me. The layout at first glance looks wonky. I think this is mostly because the location of the stages has changed after playing Brawl/Brawl+ for over two years. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the tournament stages were put at the bottom of the first page because the cursor starts at the bottom of the screen. How much time does that save? Barely half a second? I just kind of feel like it would be better if the stages were left where they were, with the new icons added for new stages. It's a little disorienting at first glance. Also, is SSEJ on there two times? I don't have B+ up in front of me, but I thought I saw SSEJ on both the front and back screens. Is the one on the back actually Temple but still having SSEJ's picture or something? Regardless, it looks sloppy and unprofessional to have both there.

As far as the stages go, Pictoplus is fantastic to play on IMO. Great stage there. I'm not used to JJ+ yet, and sometimes I forget that the water isn't there but the stage is still a big improvement, especially with the inner ledges on the outer platforms gone. PTAD+ is nice, but the boundaries feel really big in some parts. Blind agreed with me here. I still wish we could have low KB cars, but until that becomes a possibility this is still a big improvement. RF+ is great too and I love that stage.

The thing I love most about the patch is the camera changes. Having the camera keep up with the faster characters is fantastic. Huge thumbs up to the camera.

And funny enough, I got another database error from Smashboards as I tried to post this the first time... Though I actually saved this before posting :p

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
um... before we release this, be sure to get my summit+ w/ boundary fixes from the brawlplus.net forums.

edit: i can look at fixing the boundaries for PTAD+, but i also believe the code will affect it universally for every transition.

Veril

Frame Savant
Yeroc, you included a RF+ without Boundary mods, and the .gct you included with the 7.03 download does NOT include my death boundary mod data.

Frozen has stated that he will be able to transfer my death boundary mod codes into the .pacs for the stages:

Death boundary data
065A9000 00000050
01F0F2B0 D40A0000
02F0F200 DE09D000
04F0F1D0 E30AD000
0DF0F2F0 CF09A000
13F0F200 DE0A0000
14F0F2A0 D7097000
1CF0F330 CD0A6000
1EF0F2A0 D4092000
21F0F320 CE09D000
24F0F300 D009D000

Also clean up the left sides, given that I didn't know how to convert negative numbers into hex at the time I coded these so there might be a discrepancy with the right side. PTAD+ needs fixed boundaries, but I don't know how to code that with the changing stage.

Summit+ needs to lose the ice to become a legal stage. NPC+ can't be legal atm because of the ability to tech KO moves on reaction so effectively due to the steep slope. I don't really want temple+ because it would mean no reverse hyrule jumps for recovery testing and experimentation with movement options (which that stage is very good for). Skyworld needs to lose the hurtbox on the bottom platform to prevent the absurdity of Bowser f-smash (and similar moves) hitlag exploitation.

RF+: with appropriate boundary adjustments, try moving the sides out a bit from the values I gave before, keep the same ceiling mod I suggested
Pictoplus: totally legit
JJ+: arguably legit. I like it...
PSI+: amazing, but needs boundaries edited, PSII values would be ideal.

Also: Link's new fair? Blind HATES it. I'm ambivalent. I've heard many others dislike it as well. Discuss...

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I don't really want temple+ because it would mean no reverse hyrule jumps for recovery testing and experimentation with movement options (which that stage is very good for).

we've had sse jungle on there for how long and now you want the original stage instead of a possible fix because...it helps with recovery testing?

:confused:

EDIT: do we have a changelist for stages?

Veril

Frame Savant
Dude the reverse hyrule jump is mad cool... If we can have temple back and keep SSEJ I support that. If the rest of you want Temple+ though I'm fine with that since Temple is pretty much as far from legal as a stage can get.

Also: Thanks Viet!
VietGeek said:
Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?tnko2mytjjz

Code:
Marth:
N-air: (Sub Action ID: 62)
2nd hit's tip hitbox (hitbox 4) angle changed from special 361° to 35°.

D-Special - Counter: (Sub Action ID: 1EB; 1ED)
All hitboxes' angles changed from special 361° to 35°.

Ike:
D-Special - Counter: (Sub Action ID: 1E9; 1EB)

Toon Link:
F-air: (Sub Action ID: 63)

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
my sexiness is unquestionable.

chill

edit:
also, veril, can you give me the numeric changes that you did to the stages? would save me a lot of time. if not, thats fine too.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Cool, less slidy ice!

I think we should keep the original Hyrule honestly. It holds a special place in a lot of people's hearts (unlike most of Brawl's anticompetitive stages) and it's probably the most fun purely casual stage to play on. It also ain't bad for teaching someone how to tech.

MK26

Smash Master
you people disgust me

solution:

rename modified hyrule to stgcustom2.pac

copy hyrule .rel file and rename st_custom2.rel

place in respective folders

make sure people dont get confused between the two hyrules on the sss

???

do the same for ps2

profit

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
with relation to the pac that i posted, i was mislead into thinking that what i replaced the ice with reduced the slipping. instead, it removed it completely. in the meantime, i have a working pac for 7.0.3 with no sliding/edited boundaries which should fit all criteria for a CP: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3n4e2znmydx

give me feedback on the boundary adjustments and whether they need to be increased/decreased any (i just got done editing new side boundaries, so be sure to download this pac).

edit: also, just triple checking that this pac is in the package for 7.0.3: http://www.mediafire.com/?3nmqywny1mw

Veril

Frame Savant
Frozen: I assume the values for death boundary mod and the stage .pac alterations are the same. If they work differently let me know plz. Do you want me to convert the values from the death boundary mod for you? If you could somehow adjust for ice, that would be ideal (reducing the effect to less than half of what it is now). Otherwise removing the slipperiness is the best option.

Yeroc: If the boundary mods are all getting put in the stage .pacs (which makes sense to me) the death boundary mod can be removed from the .gct. Right? In the download for 7.03 I believe you forgot to include the death boundary codes... which makes me wonder what else might have been missed. That's seriously one of the most important codes in this set and the new boundaries absolutely must be in place.

Another thing we need is to remove the silly text from the descriptions (in the select screens)... or at least make it more clever. Any reference to "tourney***s" is really stupid and should be removed. In general they reflect poorly on us, but especially that one.

I'm going to be combing through this thread and moving important things to the OP of the stickied B+broom thread in the next few hours. Cause man is my Anatomy and physiology class long...

Veril

Frame Savant
*side/top
BattleField: 212/160
Final Destination: 222/157
Luigi's Mansion: 227/173
Yoshi's Island: 207/154
Lylat Cruise: 222/160
PSII: 215/151
Warioware: 205/166
Skyworld: 212/146
Smashville: 206/157
Pictochat: 208/157

PSI: test with PSII bounds
Frigate Orpheon: make new boundaries, grabbable ledge
SSEJ: NEEDS new boundaries. No legal stage should
JJ+: check/playtest boundaries
PTAD+: needs new boundaries on some sections!
NPC+: can't be legal in its current form. Suggestions?
Summit+: test non-ice, new boundaries version.
RF+: The version downloaded in 7.03 doesn't have the boundary changes, which is evident by the MASSIVE ceiling. BF ceiling and Luigi's Mansion side values might be a good set.

MK26

Smash Master
HEY! Why are we making Frigate's ledge grabbable? We don't want to do that. It's a CP for a reason. And I generally feel nervous about giving characters ledge invincibility while having a floor underneath them to fall back on (even if it's only temporary in this case).

NPC+: How about halving the vertical stretch on the bottom platform?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
HEY! Why are we making Frigate's ledge grabbable? We don't want to do that. It's a CP for a reason.
This. I was ok with adding ledges to PTAD+ but don't you think this is going too far? Hard-to-recover-on stages are already virtually extinct.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Another thing we need is to remove the silly text from the descriptions (in the select screens)... or at least make it more clever. Any reference to "tourney***s" is really stupid and should be removed. In general they reflect poorly on us, but especially that one.

I'm going to be combing through this thread and moving important things to the OP of the stickied B+broom thread in the next few hours. Cause man is my Anatomy and physiology class long...
I thought I had removed all traces of that... do I have to make the menu screens from scratch now? :dizzy:

Anyway, I removed that from the pre-made downloads (it was never in the updater in the first place luckily) and I'll try getting a less profane file.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Frigate Orpheon's lack of ledge on the right side is one of the things making it a unique counterpick.

Is it unfair for certain characters? Sure, but can't the players using those characters ban that stage, or just not let themselves get put in a situation where they are screwed because of the ledge when playing on that stage?

Do you know what's scary? When you expect to have an advantage against a character on a certain stage, only to find out that the other player knows that stage as well as you and may be able to abuse it more than you can. That's why I stopped CP'ing Rainbow Cruise against Snake for example; what was always a good stage to take Snake to suddenly became a stage where Snake could kill you at lolololol percents and move surprisingly well on. I found that out the hard way.

Point being... Frigate is fine IMO.
Back to agreeing with you JCaesar ;)

Top Bottom