• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Izek

Smash Cadet
i think that when you focus on one character, you start to take more and more for granted with them, you automatically understand things like their range and priority without having to pay any attention to them. that's good, 'cause then you can use that character as a tool to learn deeper, more general things about the game, like positioning and edgeguarding and techchasing.
I agree with this. I had trouble picking between peach and falco before especially with weird MUs but eventually i just decided falco and i feel much more comfortable, etc. I still like peach though.. was playing her last week and hella fun :D.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Same here, $1 or $2. That's regarding Sanuzi's post, his quote didn't show up in the quote that I quoted lol

Let's try to get 30+ attendance at this next one. Everyone needs to make it and practice for Impulse.
haha yeah im so pumped for Impulse. And I'm glad that they're dividing it into pro brackets and amateur brackets. Now I actually stand a very slight chance in the amateur brackets lol.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
haha yeah im so pumped for Impulse. And I'm glad that they're dividing it into pro brackets and amateur brackets. Now I actually stand a very slight chance in the amateur brackets lol.
Does that mean people who win in the amateur bracket go to the pro bracket? Or are amateurs omitted from the regular bracket?

edit: Nevermind, I was thinking in terms of pools, I guess the lower seeds go to their own bracket then.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Does that mean people who win in the amateur bracket go to the pro bracket? Or are amateurs omitted from the regular bracket?

edit: Nevermind, I was thinking in terms of pools, I guess the lower seeds go to their own bracket then.
From what I understand, it looks like the top seeds from each pool go on to the pro brackets and the next few seeds go to the amateur brackets. The number of seeds that go to each bracket from each pool will obviously depend on the overall number of attendees.

As long as I don't end up in the pro bracket (which I'm sure I won't unless the pros purposely play bad so they can go to the amateur bracket and make ez money) I'll be happy.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
As long as I don't end up in the pro bracket (which I'm sure I won't unless the pros purposely play bad so they can go to the amateur bracket and make ez money) I'll be happy.
I think all the prize money would go to the pro bracket, I mean, there's probably going to be a small prize for amateurs (we need to change that word, sounds kinda mean :p) to prevent that from happening and stuff along the lines of the amateur bracket being a courtesy when the pros should be rewarded with the prize money.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I dunno if any of you have read Scar's TO handbook but IMO amateur bracket is a great idea and I really wish I could come because of it...but any prize larger than than venue+entry kind of ruins it for anyone who makes into the pro bracket but not in the money.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Having amateur brackets is great because it encourages people of all skill levels to come out and participate.

But yeah, if the prize for winning amateur brackets is too high people will lose incentive to make it into the pro brackets. All I know is I'm not gonna be sandbagging either way.

unknown522

Some guy
2 things:

1. Regarding the amateur bracket, because I have gotten suggestions a couple of times from the A&C owners about it, I thought about doing it. I just needed to test run a few more tourneys due to (being close to) running out of time a lot with such a small turnout. Anyways, I think we are past that stage now so I will probably start running them in the tourney. I was thinking either we can do:

- The is no entry fee. The winner gets their singles entry fee back.
- $2 entry fee. Winner takes all. Or top 2 payout.
- $5 entry fee. Do either top 2 or top 3 payout

2. Due to Impulse being at the end of June, I was wondering if people will still be down to have a monthly earlier in June?

weon - X

Smash Ace
the more tournament experience people get the better it is for them
entry fee or no entry fee are just details
gotta be careful with those sand baggers though hahaha.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think there should still be an entry fee, it just makes it feel more tournament-esque.

Also I'd totally be down for a June tourney, it'll be a good warm up.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Ugh. I would feel like trash if someone asked me to join the amateur bracket. "You suck, but don't worry, you can play other bad people too!"

Better hope I make regular bracket. Yep.

unknown522

Some guy
the more tournament experience people get the better it is for them
entry fee or no entry fee are just details
gotta be careful with those sand baggers though hahaha.
The only problem with free tourneys is that there is no incentive to play seriously. Even with low amounts for entry fees, the same thing can happen.

weon - X

Smash Ace
lol people play for different reasons. but yeah i never said to not include money. it was just a detail to see how much money the prize would be. with that said returning entry fee seems like not much at all. but the amateur bracket is a pretty cool idea the only bad thing is that it might take too long. but we can test it i guess

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
I'd be down for a june tourney. Its a good warm up for ppl who are going to impulse, and for ppl that can't make it to impulse (like me) it would be cool to still have a monthly

:phone:

unknown522

Some guy
lol people play for different reasons. but yeah i never said to not include money. it was just a detail to see how much money the prize would be. with that said returning entry fee seems like not much at all. but the amateur bracket is a pretty cool idea the only bad thing is that it might take too long. but we can test it i guess
It could shouldn't take too long because it will be run at the same time as singles bracket. Also, the number of entrants shouldn't be too much because there won't be that many people not making it out of pools. Say we get 26 entrants again. That would only be roughly 10 entrants for amateur bracket

:phone:

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
At the next tournament, if were doing pools or bracket or whatever and Im not Fox(I might go a bit Sheik but I doubt it) can someone hit me? please :D
I'll do it! ;)

And can you put me down as a maybe for now Ryan, I gotta try and get the day off of work

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
2 things:

1. Regarding the amateur bracket, because I have gotten suggestions a couple of times from the A&C owners about it, I thought about doing it. I just needed to test run a few more tourneys due to (being close to) running out of time a lot with such a small turnout. Anyways, I think we are past that stage now so I will probably start running them in the tourney. I was thinking either we can do:

- The is no entry fee. The winner gets their singles entry fee back.
- $2 entry fee. Winner takes all. Or top 2 payout.
- $5 entry fee. Do either top 2 or top 3 payout

2. Due to Impulse being at the end of June, I was wondering if people will still be down to have a monthly earlier in June?

I'm down for the June tourney before Impulse

The amateur brackets at the monthly sounds like a good idea, as long as people don't sandbag. It gives the newer players a reason to stick around even after they've been eliminated, and get a better understanding of the game by playing people at their skill level instead of getting pwned by the better players.

idea

Smash Master
i'm gonna optimistically say that our 'amateur bracket' players care enough about the game to actually play their matches at a non-awful pace, and fight for their chance at glory, and $8.

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
i'm gonna optimistically say that our 'amateur bracket' players care enough about the game to actually play their matches at a non-awful pace, and fight for their chance at glory, and $8.
i agree with this. If I was eliminated in pools I would be hella salty and so I'd love an amateur bracket lol

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Put me on the mother ****in attendence list.

Also, yea it's my last AnC in all probability so people should come and we can chill and say farewell and stuff. I'm still trying to go to zenith and styc3 tho.

hype.

Top Bottom