• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 reasons why target smash fails on this game.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
IMO, Target Smash fails in this game. Here's 5 reasons why:
1.Different difficulties.
2. It's always the same for each character thus ruining the point of target test, testing your skills with each character.
3.Uses items which proves my point given above.
4. Trophies that involve beating it in a certain time limit.
5. It's basically dumbed down from Melee and even SSB64.

will.d

Smash Rookie
The only thing I don't like about Target Smash is that each character doesn't have his own one. if each had their own 5 at different lvls of difficulty that would be insane.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Who cares? Its not even that bad.
Unique target test would have been nice, but whatever.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would've taken one TT per series, even. 35 is a bit much, I admit, but 5 is just pathetic. If there's one thing they should've worked on for 1-player mode is the Target Test. How about taking out the lame Masterpieces for some originality?

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
They should have at least oriented different series of 5 level to different types of characters.

Ex: A set of 5 speed levels for speed characters.
A set of 5 flight levels for flying characters.
and so on...

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
I would've taken one TT per series, even. 35 is a bit much, I admit, but 5 is just pathetic. If there's one thing they should've worked on for 1-player mode is the Target Test. How about taking out the lame Masterpieces for some originality?
Good point. Masterpieces are OK though..... From about 30 seconds to 5 freaking minutes.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
I liked it how each character had their own different Target Test in SSB64 and Melee. Brawl's Target Test dissapointed me to the point where completing a Target Test level with every character became a chore.
At least there was some variety in Melee and SSB64.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
If you didn't have to do it with all characters 5 times, most people wouldn't have an issue with it... But 35x5= 155 perfect trials... That's a lot of time wasted.... The item thing isn't quite as bad, if it wasn't that Items are Shuned in True Competitions. If people enjoyed items overall more, than using items in this would be a perfect way to hone on your skills. I think Sakurai had casual gamers a little more in mind. If they could have had time to make it so that there were like 3 difficulties instead of five, or that the characters did each have their own stage, they'd be fine. But doing it that many times gets way too repeditive...

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
The announcer saids ''**** the targets '' i swear.

Pro -
1.Different difficulties
2.Trophies that involve beating it in a certain time limit. Therefore more replay and involvement.
3.Testing your skills with each character

Con-
1. Same for each character.
2. Items used.

I don't mind it really. Just something diffrent from the normal stuff.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Again, if people learned to use items as weapons as instead of markers of luck, the items in Target Smash would be useful in advancing their game, usin gthe right tool in the right situation. But yeah, using the same stage that many times is messed up. -.-

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
You do know that they give you the exact same items every time in the target test. Most items are set up to take out the targets. Like the rolling box that is above a ramp that has a target at the bottom. And a B-bomb that's right where you can use it to take out 2 targets at once.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Again, if people learned to use items as weapons as instead of markers of luck, the items in Target Smash would be useful in advancing their game, usin gthe right tool in the right situation. But yeah, using the same stage that many times is messed up. -.-
His issue isn't randomness. It's that the items take out the necessity of learning character specific abilities, and focus on memorizing one or two paths with a few variations. The items centralize target test, which used to be a diverse challenge.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Personally I'm not really disappointed with the fact that all the TT stages are the same. I remember times playing the 64/Melee TT and thinking "if I could use (X character) in this test then I could do (something) at this part." The individualized ones were cool too though, I guess I'm jsut saying that the new standardized stages are both a pro and a con to me.

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice
Why target smash fails this game.

1. Its no fun
2. Waste of your time
3. Don't unlock a great deal for doing them

I was going to put five but couldn't think of of two more.

Ange

Smash Lord
Why target smash fails this game.

1. Its no fun
2. Waste of your time
3. Don't unlock a great deal for doing them

I was going to put five but couldn't think of of two more.
Waste of time? Then why are you even playing video games? :laugh:
Actually, you get quite alot of Challenges from beating them.

People are too anti-Target Smash. Its good for skill testing and how good you are at dealing with perfect button pressing, fast reflexes and to use the items in a good way to score a perfect time.

Target Smash level 1 and 5 is my favorites. Somehow I dislike the other 3. /:

It might be too linear for only 5 levels for every character, but I find it good. That way you can find different routes for different characters, depending on their jumping speed/height/use of projectiles and what not.
Test your way to success. :)

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice
Waste of time? Then why are you even playing video games? :laugh:
Actually, you get quite alot of Challenges from beating them.

People are too anti-Target Smash. Its good for skill testing and how good you are at dealing with perfect button pressing, fast reflexes and to use the items in a good way to score a perfect time.

Target Smash level 1 and 5 is my favorites. Somehow I dislike the other 3. /:

It might be too linear for only 5 levels for every character, but I find it good. That way you can find different routes for different characters, depending on their jumping speed/height/use of projectiles and what not.
Test your way to success. :)
Yeah there a waste of time, i,m playing video games because there entertaining, where as smash the targets are not.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Its "break" the targets.

And it really is quite fun if you get into it.

Melee Game@Watch 7 second record?
That took time.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
If each character had a target test, it should resemble their game/franchise like Melee Ice Climbers' target test.

AndreVeloso

Smash Apprentice
Items ruin hopes of trying to make anywhere near a record. Cracker Launchers in TT was the biggest mistake (what were they thinking). TT4 was the worst one for me. It had no items but the was targets were so isolated from each other and how Toon Links boomerang gives him targets well away from him is also weird

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I disagree, I feel five generic stages per character beats one individual stage per character. Plus, the stages aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Gameplayer209

Smash Cadet
I really do like unique TT's. However, un-unique target tests are cool too. It would be seriously great if an update occurred in which TT's were improved so that there are two modes. Stages for all characters and stages for individual characters.

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't pleased when I found out that there were no longer character-specific target tests. Those tests helped me a lot in the previous games to understand how each character worked, and put good use to each of their moves. They were also much more challenging(and therefore more fun).

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
New TT = T_T

Although I have to disagree on your reasons why...

Warioman123 said:
IMO, Target Smash fails in this game. Here's 5 reasons why:
1.Different difficulties.
2. It's always the same for each character thus ruining the point of target test, testing your skills with each character.
3.Uses items which proves my point given above.
4. Trophies that involve beating it in a certain time limit.
5. It's basically dumbed down from Melee and even SSB64.
1. I'm not sure why this is a problem?

2. I'd be more inclined to think that it forces you to approach a problem in several different ways, because not all methods are available to all characters. This becomes much more apparent at World Record-level play, of course, where simple bashing just isn't fast enough.
Or maybe I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, I've still only done Level 2 :p

3. When I first saw that there were items around i was like Whoa, the best guys out there are totally going to find all kinds of new and weird ways to break their records! Then I saw this:

ph00tbag said:
His issue isn't randomness. It's that the items take out the necessity of learning character specific abilities, and focus on memorizing one or two paths with a few variations. The items centralize target test, which used to be a diverse challenge.
And now I kind of get it :/

4. Again, what's the problem? Melee had this too...

5. On this one, I definitely can't fight you. :D It's disappointing, frankly, but nearly all of barlw was disappointing to me, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised =[

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
It always annoys me that on those videos from online, on lv5, every video starts with the character grabbing the cracker launcher

arch knight

Smash Lord
I love how everyone complains about the items issue in TT.
Wait a spark of intellengence DON'T PICKUP THE ITEM! now was that so hard

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
1 Well If its about playing all 5 levels with ALL characters, it makes a good point LMAO, better with just 1 really hard *** stage.
2 If it focuses on stage adaptation, I say items are okay, but about character specific efficiency then items=NO
3When talking about achievements, they shoulda put more prizes
4 It's only fun the 1ST time you do it (or unless you enjoy beating your own records lol)
5 It's annoys other characters EVEN MORE about Sonic's speed (lol even if I'm a Sonic Main mahself)

arch knight

Smash Lord
The only way to get a good record is to pick them up =/
another idea sparked why doesnt everyone just try to set the best record without touching an item. The way i see it is if you pick up an item its basically saying you need its help even though people always complain about them calling item users noob.

On the flip side though if you use these items your seizing opportunity and using the items to the fullest which is what i and everyone else basically does.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
1. Different difficulties... aren't really all that different. I had more trouble with lv 4 than lv 5 for most characters.
2. Same characters for each stage gets STUPIDLY boring. Co-op is a nice addition, but isn't good enough to make up for the fact that it's a rather silly idea.
3. Items are static, and usually EXTREMELY obvious how you're supposed to use them, making creativity really not all that important for a few of the levels, since it's all the same basic idea. (Use the Smart Bomb to hit the top targets, knock the moving box to hit the bottom, jump up for the rest...)
4. Level 4 targets force you to go on a set pattern for maximum time, and not all characters can achieve that tempo, just making it silly. I can't tell you how much fun I've had screwing with the ice and no ledges though, especially using it to screw with Nana's AI. :3
5. No more riddles! D=

mofo_

Smash Ace
they should have different BTT, one with items, one/two for a certain character, and 5 lvls for all, and some designed specifically for co-op.

yeah, i agree rocket launcher was a dumb idea :p also TL is the like the only char who can do BTT Lvl 4 in under 10 seconds thanks to his pimp boomerang

and RyuKen, its not a waste of time, i enjoy doing BTT, especially if u set limits for yourself

No touchin the ground from when first hit a target
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEnmcXX1_w

Least Platforms Possible(my vid :p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOjq8iZe6-s

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
They should have each character has five different unique levels based on that character's skills.

Splice

Smash Hero
Melee Game@Watch 7 second record?
That took time.
7 seconds? you're not doing it right:laugh:

I miss Melee target tests. You had to think, if you wanted to do it at all.
In brawl, you only have to think if you want to do it fast. Its not as hard.

Ikenomon

Smash Apprentice
I liked it much better when in SSB64 and SSBM that each character had their own unique target tests.

The only thing that I can think of that is good in Brawl's target tests is that they test your skill with each character.

Overall I enjoyed Melee's target tests better than Brawl's, but that does not matter; there's much more to do than target tests.

Top Bottom