• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
I have been a die-hard fan of the Smash Bros series since 2002 when my mom bought me an N64 W/ SSB64 and Super Mario 64. Over the years, I played Melee and Brawl too. But the some of the characters in the games seemed pointless to me. Here are my 5 picks for characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros. series. Note that some were omitted from Brawl.

1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.

2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.

3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
Feel free to add your own picks for 5 characters that should never have been in the Smash Bros series.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The popularity of Roy and Marth brought Fire Emblem to America, therefore he's had just as much point being there as Marth did. Marth had a Japan-Only appearance as well, and on top of that, his game was way outdated even then.

3rd Ice Climber

Smash Cadet
Climbin' For eggplants in the icy suburbs of MD
2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.
DDDDDD:
I was one of those 10,000

I kinda agree with pichu,and jiggs really did confuse me.

other than that, Wolf/Falco. One fox was good enough
Mr.Game and Watch,the flat man is cool,but..why?
Lucario *shot* I really dont like him and his movie was crap>_>

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.
He was simply a quick reskin+slight remodel when they had time to add a few quick clones in.

Ice Climber was a brilliant game. And if you're simply thinking that they're stupid because they're old, where's Mr GAW in your list? IC's bring a new and unique fighting style. No other game AFAIK has had a fighter quite like them.

3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.
Again, just another quick reskin when they had time. When making them probably just thought "Well how about another fire emblem character? Marth would be pretty eassy to clonse" "Hey, what about that new game? Be pretty cool to play as a guy from there before it comes out!"

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.
He makes perfect sense from the SSE story, and it's not suprising since he's been in the last two Mario Karts. You have to keep in mind that R.O.B. pretty much saved videogames after the Great Videogame crash in the 80's, and no I'm not joking.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
You could use that exact argument for Pikachu being in. If it wasn't for the anime, it'd probably have been Squirtle or something.

EDIT:
Mr.Game and Watch,the flat man is cool,but..why?
He was HUGE and has been in more games than Mario (Hell, some of his games included Mario, even Zelda) and was a huge boom to the start of gaming, coming into existence three years before the NES. Game and Watches lasted 11 years, from 1980 to 1991, the longest reign of any console ever.

Also, inb4 "inb4metaknight"

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Pichu makes sense. He's an even more adorable version of Pokemon's mascot.

Jigglypuff makes sense. She's the second most popular pokemon in Japan iirc.

Lucario, dunno. I'm just not really sure why he got in.

Ice!

Smash Apprentice
Wario (He sucks)
Young/Toon Link (I don't hate them, I hate the clonez idea)
Pichu (Clonez)
DR. MARIO (Worst clonez)
Any Marth or Roy

Chaco

Never Logs In
1-5: Pit: Just because of his voice. Nails on a chalkboard.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I'm more concerned with the inclusion of the Link clones in Melee and Brawl. I mean seriously, Young Link and Toon Link??? One link is enough. You might as well have Dark Link. Starfox is kinda pushing it too. I mean, 2 heroes and a villain? Either cut Falco or Wolf because you certainly don't need both.

I mean, having characters in to boost the popularity and awareness of their games is a great idea. If they're unique, there's obviously a reason. Jigglypuff is just because it's a popular Pokemon. I'll admit I don't understand the reason for Pichu's inclusion, but whatever.

ROB and Ice Climbers are totally unknown for me >_> shoulda had Chrono and Lloyd instead.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Wario (He sucks)
Young/Toon Link (I don't hate them, I hate the clonez idea)
Pichu (Clonez)
DR. MARIO (Worst clonez)
Any Marth or Roy
Wario doesn't suck. He's actually really good and his games were really good.

Full Metal X

Smash Cadet
Wario scares the crap outta me, but he should be in brawl.
I think that all clones should be removed from brawl, and no new ones should be added.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Five characters that should of never been in?

Olimar: I understand the fact Nintendo doesn't have many games right now that are completely original, but why Olimar? Was he the absolute closest thing to something that would fit into Smash? Whatever the reason, I still see him as absolutely riduculous.

Lucario: Really maddened me when I saw he was in. Not only is he a poor replacement to another -coughmewtwocough- Pokemon, but the fact he was used to advertise the 4th generation of Pokemon is horrible for me. I hate 4th gen.

Wolf: Falco and Fox are cool, but even though Wolf is pretty cool himself, I don't like him. Just one of those 'I hate that character...'

Pit: The voice, and it's neat to see a character like him in Smash...but he's just so annoying.

I can't even think of a fifth character, all the other ones mentioned are cool in my book, especially the Doc, Ice Climbers, (grew up playing that game) and Pichu. You gotta love them.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Wario is a repulsive, generally unpleasant character. But he's had enough games, and a significant enough role in the Mario series to deserve a spot.

Pichu was useless. Worse than useless, really.

Dr. Mario was actually a sizable let-down when I unlocked him. Mario really didn't need a second clone.

Other than that, it's been pretty good. Roy probably didn't really deserve his own spot, but whatever. Young Link was probably unnecessary too. But Toon Link's had 4-5 games on his own (Four Swords Adventures, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap, and the Four Swords part of the Link to the Past GBA port). That's more than a fair number of other characters in Brawl. Ike's had what, 2. And Lucario? The only thing is, they shouldn't have been clones, especially Toon Link. That's the problem.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I'm fine with all the characters in the games being included.:)

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
The only one I agree with you on is pichu. Although I really dislike the Ice Climbers I still think they were pretty good duo to add. Also your reason for Jigglypuuf doesnt make much sence. With your other arguments your saying they shouldnt have put the characters in because they wernt popular enough, but your contradicting with Jigglypuff by saying shes too popular. Does it really matter if its by the anime or by the game? If they didnt have the anime None of the pokemon would have made it to smash, except Maybe Mewtwo, but he got popular from the movie.

Grunt

Smash Master
Every character has a reason for being included. Either promoting separate games (Such as Ike being added, or anime in the case of pokemon) or just expanding on a popular characters game (Adding Lucas from the Mother series).

Browny

Smash Hater
Kita isnt it obvious?
Lucario is like one of the most popular pokemon, only behind the likes of pikachu, mewtwo and jigglypuff. If he wasnt added, who else would they add from 2nd gen and beyond? a lot of time passed since melee was made, can you think of any newly introduced pokemon since then that is more popular?

otherwise...

ROB. wtf random. of course it doesnt help that his playstyle is infuriating to play against and seems very boring to me

Pichu. while most clones were either very good, or at least not bad, pichu was just terrible.

that is all. rest are all deserving imo :)

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Sonic and snake

What the hell, they arent even from nintendo!

Thats all I got, everyone else deserves it.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Sonic and snake

What the hell, they arent even from nintendo!

Thats all I got, everyone else deserves it.
Snake did start off on NES though... But sonic, he was sega all the way. Then, the series turned to **** and nintendo picked it up

Ice!

Smash Apprentice
We have the opinion of telling you to gtfo.
And the freedom of speech to back that up.
lolwut? I was asking if I really have to gtfo? and if so tell me how do I have to gtfo.

PS: you gotta love spam.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Kita isnt it obvious?
Lucario is like one of the most popular pokemon, only behind the likes of pikachu, mewtwo and jigglypuff. If he wasnt added, who else would they add from 2nd gen and beyond? a lot of time passed since melee was made, can you think of any newly introduced pokemon since then that is more popular?
Mewtwo, Raichu, (insert legendary here), Clefairy iirc...

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Some people in here have been saying certain characters deserve to be in because they were "awesome." Puzzling.

1. Pichu
2. Dr. Mario
3. Roy
4. ROB
5. Young Link

Don't get me wrong, some of these characters, and their movesets, add some value to smash brothers. Mainly ROB. But overall, these 5 characters could be gone and I wouldn't care at all.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
He was simply a quick reskin+slight remodel when they had time to add a few quick clones in.

Ice Climber was a brilliant game. And if you're simply thinking that they're stupid because they're old, where's Mr GAW in your list? IC's bring a new and unique fighting style. No other game AFAIK has had a fighter quite like them.

Again, just another quick reskin when they had time. When making them probably just thought "Well how about another fire emblem character? Marth would be pretty eassy to clonse" "Hey, what about that new game? Be pretty cool to play as a guy from there before it comes out!"

He makes perfect sense from the SSE story, and it's not suprising since he's been in the last two Mario Karts. You have to keep in mind that R.O.B. pretty much saved videogames after the Great Videogame crash in the 80's, and no I'm not joking.

You could use that exact argument for Pikachu being in. If it wasn't for the anime, it'd probably have been Squirtle or something.

EDIT:

He was HUGE and has been in more games than Mario (Hell, some of his games included Mario, even Zelda) and was a huge boom to the start of gaming, coming into existence three years before the NES. Game and Watches lasted 11 years, from 1980 to 1991, the longest reign of any console ever.

Also, inb4 "inb4metaknight"
1. I just replayed Ice Climber, and I take it back. It's fun, simple, and linear. But I still think that they should have gone with another retro character. And I don't think old things are stupid. In fact, they're the foundation for the Smash Bros. series.
2. ROB was in only 1 mario kart, and that was DS. Plus, you do have a point about the video game crash, but just because he saved the industry's @$$e$ doesn't mean he would be a good character idea.
3. Keep in mind that if weren't for the anime, then they'd probably have added Pokemon Trainer or something like that.
4. I don't buy the whole re-skin thing.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I never worried about the clones, really.
Especially in Brawl, since they're mostly very different now. I never cared about the games that the characters represented, for example, I main Captain Falcon and Falco.
But have I played their games much? No. They're all right, but I was into their Smash Bros characters before I was into their original characters.
Same for seconds, Pokemon Trainer...I've never had a gameboy so I haven't played Pokemon... and Bowser? Bowser was a fool in super mario, I hated his guts D=<
You play Smash Bros for the Smash.

Top Bottom