• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Is it some kind of self-imposed rule or an official one?

If it's the former, then why care at all?
It's in part because when we post results, we're contributing to Das Koopa's ranking system.

That and a character that didn't take any games is effectively irrelevant.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Is it some kind of self-imposed rule or an official one?

If it's the former, then why care at all?
This is the format Das Koopa follows, which is where all the results posted here go into.

And otherwise we're essentially rewarding a character for failure, which is a big no.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
This is the format Das Koopa follows, which is where all the results posted here go into.

And otherwise we're essentially rewarding a character for failure, which is a big no.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d
Then what's stopping us from listing the used character but also listing that it didn't win a game?

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Then what's stopping us from listing the used character but also listing that it didn't win a game?
That's annoying to go through and also convoluted. Imagine this:

2nd: Randommain1001 :4mario: :4luigi: :4peach: :4bowser: :rosalina: :4yoshi: :4dk: :4diddy: :4bowserjr: :4wario:, but Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, DK, Diddy, Bowser Jr and Wario didn't take games

See the problem?

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
That's annoying to go through and also convoluted. Imagine this:

2nd: Randommain1001 :4mario: :4luigi: :4peach: :4bowser: :rosalina: :4yoshi: :4dk: :4diddy: :4bowserjr: :4wario:, but Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, DK, Diddy, Bowser Jr and Wario didn't take games

See the problem?
What if the character is a natural secondary of a player's, like the aforementioned Nairo's Bowser? One could make an exception for that.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
When are we going to stop calling Bowser/DK mid tiers? I'm sure I've asked before, but...

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
What if the character is a natural secondary of a player's, like the aforementioned Nairo's Bowser? One could make an exception for that.
But why should a character be noted for making no impact on the tournament? I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time grasping this.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
What are your guys thoughts on multiple players using Diddy yesterday? I thought that would of been a hot topic and I'm suprised it has not been brought up yet.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
When are we going to stop calling Bowser/DK mid tiers? I'm sure I've asked before, but...
I think Illusion said it best with Corrin and high tier. Just replace Corrin with Bowser/DK for this example.
Anyone who says Corrin isn't high tier is not at all qualified to talk about the character. At that point, it becomes clear that one has been blatantly ignoring his accomplishments for the past year.
Corrin/Bowser/DK have definitely proven this status as high tiers in the current meta. What other supposed mid tiers have taken off games against many top players in competitive play? (Bowser: Tweek, Zero, MKLeo, etc. DK: Salem, Tweek, etc) these results are still going into 2017, ding dong and Koopa hasn't gotten any less effective. And Corrin has been placing high by the likes of Cosmos, Frozen, and MKLeo all over. Idk where they are in high tier, but they are in it.

Last edited:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Shine 2017 (659 Entrants) (New England)

1st: ZeRo :4diddy:
2nd: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk: :4bayonetta2:
3rd: Nairo :4zss: :4cloud2: :4diddy:
4th: Salem :4bayonetta2:
5th: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth: :4corrinf:
5th: Ally :4mario:
7th: Komorikiri :4cloud2:
7th: Larry Lurr :4fox:
9th: Light :4fox:
9th: Mistake :4bayonetta2:
9th: Cosmos :4corrinf:
9th: WaDi :4mewtwo:
13th: VoiD :4sheik:
13th: ESAM :4pikachu: :4samus:
13th: Marss :4zss: :4falcon:
13th: Dark Wizzy :4mario:
17th: Locus :4ryu:
17th: MVD :4diddy:
17th: MattyG :4cloud2:
17th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: :4wiifit:
17th: Tyroy :4bayonetta2: :4sheik:
17th: JK :4bayonetta2:
17th: Zinoto :4diddy:
17th: ANTi :4cloud2: :4mario:
25th: IceArrow :4greninja:
25th: Mr. E :4marth: :4lucina:
25th: Venom :4ryu:
25th: Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2:
25th: Shoyo James :4diddy:
25th: MJG :4villager: :4tlink:
25th: Ralphie :4cloud2:
25th: Sonix :4sonic:
Ally took a game off Leo with :4diddy: I believe.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
This is the last time I will make this sort of post in this thread, I am getting very tired.

Why
should I or anyone else agree that Corrin is a top 20 character? Someone adequately back up this claim, or else stop making it. You can't just say that her theory and results totally indicate that she is as if it's supposed to be obvious to everyone like say Bayo being top 3 or Jiggs being ***.
I want to defend this post because unfortunately, everyone seems to have missed the very good point being made.

You can't make some blanket statements and just expect everyone to agree with it.

We have done this song and dance so many times with so many different characters and the results are always similar. "Common knowledge" about the viability of who is or isn't flavour of the month eventually gets debunked, and then we all start looking very stupid because we clearly failed to be thorough in our analysis.

It happens pretty often.

Nothing is set in stone. What is common accepted knowledge now may not be this time next month. Maybe players have an off-season or stop attending and their character's results come right down. Maybe the ruleset changes, which has a knock-on effect on character viability. Maybe counterplay develops in reaction to the flavour of the month. People adapt their strategies and suddenly X character isn't so good anymore.
Diddy is the poster boy of this. Not that long ago, the vast majority just accepted he was top five. But then a few players dropped some bombshells and now people are arguing about whether he actually is.
The same sort of thing happened with Ryu. And oh how we love to mock those who once said Ryu is the best in the game, but real talk, most of you believed he was top five at one point.
The same debate is happening with Sheik right now.
The same debate will probably happen with Cloud down the line.
Something similar has happened with lesser characters like Greninja, Toon Link and Meta Knight. We all thought they were better than they actually were because we didn't look closely enough.

Why couldn't something like this happen with Corrin as well?

Tear me apart if you want but he's making a very good point, if you all just drop your egos for a second and look at what it is he's saying.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
I called him "mid tier" not "mid tier who will never be perceived as high tier, ever", im well aware of his results. also i was partly memeing since people tend to regard the cloud matchup as favorable versus DK/Bowser

IMO I think Leo just has a problem in general versus grappler heavy characters, similar to the problem he used to have with Ryu in the past. Tweek is much less daunted by comparison and its a 50/50 whether or not the Bowser pick works, and it didn't work out for Nairo this time around.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
When DK mains start posting more positive MU charts. Here's the MU chart from the DK community:

I personally think they're being a bit too pessimistic, but my point still stands: Donkey Kong seems to have too many bad MUs (like -2 MUs even) to be a high tier. Also, there are so many other good candidates for high tier. Is Donkey Kong better than Mega Man? Toon Link? Peach? Greninja? Lucario? Villager? He's a great counter-pick character/secondary, but as a main he's somewhat flawed. This makes me think that he's high-mid rather than high tier (it also depends on where you draw the line between high tier and high-mid, I suppose).

I'm not saying Donkey Kong definitely isn't high tier. He might be. But I think he might also be high-mid tier. His flaws are pretty significant, after all. We also shouldn't forget that high-mid tiers can get results: Pikachu has quite a few pretty good results in Melee, despite being a high-mid tier.

PJB

Smash Cadet
What are your guys thoughts on multiple players using Diddy yesterday? I thought that would of been a hot topic and I'm suprised it has not been brought up yet.
I thought this was very interesting as well. In particular this is the first time I can remember that we've seen Diddy used as a successful counterpick character. Also, Nairo's Diddy was so different from zero or zinoto. He really is just so adept at getting grabs with all of his characters (maybe due to difficulty of getting grabs with ZSS?). Didn't go for ledge traps to the extent that zero does, but maybe that's just a product of fighting bayo

blackghost

Smash Champion
Have they proven to be anything but a counterpick yet? Counter pick to both players and characters yes but extremely good on thier own... still up for debate. I genuinely have no idea but I'm not giving
When DK mains start posting more positive MU charts. Here's the MU chart from the DK community:

I personally think they're being a bit too pessimistic, but my point still stands: Donkey Kong seems to have too many bad MUs (like -2 MUs even) to be a high tier. Also, there are so many other good candidates for high tier. Is Donkey Kong better than Mega Man? Toon Link? Peach? Greninja? Lucario? Villager? He's a great counter-pick character/secondary, but as a main he's somewhat flawed. This makes me think that he's high-mid rather than high tier (it also depends on where you draw the line between high tier and high-mid, I suppose).

I'm not saying Donkey Kong definitely isn't high tier. He might be. But I think he might also be high-mid tier. His flaws are pretty significant, after all. We also shouldn't forget that high-mid tiers can get results: Pikachu has quite a few pretty good results in Melee, despite being a high-mid tier.
If you remove all the characters not meta relevant that my chart us extremely weak and not a high tier at all.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Have they proven to be anything but a counterpick yet?
Hikaru has some results with Donkey Kong, but not better than Axe's results with Pikachu Melee.

If you remove all the characters not meta relevant that my chart us extremely weak and not a high tier at all.
To be fair, according to that MU chart Donkey Kong does go even with a bunch of top tier and high tier characters, and if the opponent doesn't know the MU that well "even" might turn into "slight advantage" in practice. Of course, eventually people might learn the MU, and then maybe DK will be less valuable as a counter-pick character? Larry Lurr doesn't seem to use his Donkey Kong that much anymore, and Nairo's Bowser usage seems to have gone down (and he seems to lose more often with Bowser now than before).

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
That DK MU chart doesn't look that pessimistic to me, I think it's believable that DK has a lot of even MUs with some meta relevant characters like Sheik, Mario Marthcina M2 and speciality characters like Ness (It's probably Ness favor) Falcon or Luigi. A even MU isn't a bad thing it's just means the best player that set should win. I think it's also believable that given DK's design that zoning characters and characters that can oppress him with speed and hitboxes would beat him. I don't imagine DK ever landing against Rosalina or catching TL or Sonic, I can see DK having serious problems getting past MM's lemons and getting out of Fox and ZSS vertical vortex.

I think this is the reason people are hesitant to call DK a high tier despite the great success he has seen, he has a few too many really bad matchups and doesn't beat anyone super common, the best character he beats is Lucario and while that's good, he's not a common character.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Have they proven to be anything but a counterpick yet? Counter pick to both players and characters yes but extremely good on thier own... still up for debate. I genuinely have no idea but I'm not giving

Not extremely good, but decently good on their own. Deluxemenu beat Zinoto and making a run at iirc LTC 5, Lord Mix's accomplishments, HIKARU's work.
Imo, the two are high tier CPs, but top of mid when they're not.
Which seems kinda confusing now that I think about it.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Dk and bowser are two of the only characters that can look helpless and dominant in the same week.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Being a counterpick for some of the most common and powerful characters in the game (and losing to some of the least common) is a good trait to have.

And we've seen DK used to great success against even the -2 MUs on that list

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
DK and Bowser are not Solo viable, but having them in your pocket is the future because matchups matter a lot less with them.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
DK and Bowser are not Solo viable, but having them in your pocket is the future because matchups matter a lot less with them.
They are - IMO - the replacements for pre-patch Meta Knight. He was the ultimate counterpick character, regardless of his individual MUs.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Shine 2017 (August 25th-27th) (New England) (659 Entrants) (Category 5)
1st:
TSM | ZeRo :4diddy:
2nd:
P1 | Tweek :4cloud2:,:4dk::4bayonetta:
3rd:
NRG | Nairo :4zss:, :4diddy::4cloud2:
4th:
MVG | Salem :4bayonetta:
5th:
C9 | Ally :4mario:,:4diddy:
5th:
FOX MVG | MKLeo :4cloud2:,:4marth::4corrinf:
7th:
2GG | komorikiri :4cloud2:
7th:
MSF | Larry Lurr :4fox:
9th:
EMG | Mistake :4bayonetta:
9th:
Cosmos :4corrinf:
9th:
EMP | WaDi :4mewtwo:
9th:
Light :4fox:
13th:
CLG | VoiD :4sheik:
13th:
PG | ESAM :4pikachu:,:4samus:
13th:
Marss :4zss:,:4falcon:
13th:
Dark Wizzy :4mario:
17th:
Locus :4ryu:
17th:
PG | MVD :4diddy:
17th:
MattyG :4cloud2:
17th:
P1 | Captain Zack :4bayonetta:, :4wiifit:
17th:
Yatta | JK :4bayonetta:
17th:
tyroy :4bayonetta:,:4sheik:
17th:
EG | Zinoto :4diddy:
17th:
IMT | ANTi :4mario:, :4cloud2:
25th:
IceArrow :4greninja:
25th:
RvL | Mr. E :4marth:,:4lucina:
25th:
MJG :4tlink:
25th:
SSMBTL | Venom :4ryu:
25th:
Ho3K | Ralphie :4cloud2:
25th:
eesports | Sonix :4sonic:
25th:
Shoyo James :4diddy:
25th:
VGBC | Pink Fresh :4bayonetta:
33rd:
LingLing :4peach:
33rd:
GT | Vivid :4bayonetta:,:4lucario:
33rd:
ECG | The Great Gonzales :4ness:
33rd:
TSB | Chaos :4bowser:
33rd:
aperture :4sonic:
33rd:
Tri | Zoan :4mewtwo:
33rd:
Kuma :4sonic:
33rd:
Craftis :4sonic:
33rd:
LGS EMG Bkr | Blacktwins13 :4cloud2:,:4mario:
33rd:
TSG | Biddy :4tlink:
33rd:
Fwed :4fox:
33rd:
Pugwest :4marth:
33rd:
HBA | Wraith :4bayonetta:
33rd:
EZG | Remzi :4zss:
33rd:
Hide :4bayonetta:
33rd:
DarkAura :4greninja:
49th:
WtF | Trevonte :4sheik:
49th:
HBA | Riz :4metaknight:
49th:
Allest | Axiom XL :4cloud2:
49th:
PL | Omega Tyrant :4rob:
49th:
Ducky :4littlemac:
49th:
Raffi-X :4rob:
49th:
Poyo :4kirby:
49th:
Edwin :4pacman:
49th:
Xion :4cloud2:
49th:
Hero :4cloud2:
49th:
SilentDoom :4charizard:
49th:
FOX MVG | Mew2King :4cloud2:
49th:
Cilvanis :4mewtwo:
49th:
InC | Koolaid :4sheik:
49th:
Ramzy :4sheik:
49th:
Ksev :4fox:

1st: KEN :4sonic:
2nd: 9B :4bayonetta:
3rd: T :4link:
4th: Edge :4diddy:
5th: HIKARU :4dk:
5th: Earth :4pit:,:4corrinf:
7th: Ranai :4villager:
7th: Ron :4mario:,:4luigi:

1st: Jack Hunter :4sheik:
2nd: Plastic Poptart :4marth:,:4lucina:
3rd: Streakz :4mario:
4th: Peligod :4sonic:
5th: BWC :4kirby:,:4charizard:
5th: SevereCalamari :4sheik:
7th: Matsu :4robinf:
7th: Luigimitsu :4villager:,:4luigi:

1st: Dandy Penguin :4duckhunt:
2nd: Donquavious :4greninja:,:4zss:
3rd: Kresent :4megaman:,:4ryu:
4th: YoYoGuy :4fox:
5th: DEEPBLUE :4mario:
5th: Ak8s Phantasmagloria :4zss:,:4sheik:
7th: Moser :4villager:
7th: Musk Ox :4rob:

1st: Big D :4mario:
2nd: Captain L :4pikachu:,:4bayonetta:
3rd: Zak :4diddy:,:4metaknight:
4th: Len :4pit:

1st: Meerko :4lucina:
2nd: Chimera :4corrinf:,:rosalina:
3rd: TunaLink :4sonic:,:4fox:
4th: TylerDX :4lucas:

1st: Koleslaw :4diddy:,:4falcon::4sheik:
2nd: Wonderbread :4littlemac:,:4lucina:
3rd: Osprey :4falco:
4th: KeJovan :4bowser:

1st: VyQ :4mario:, :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4dk:
2nd: Kresent :4ryu:,:4megaman:
3rd: DEEPBLUE :4mario:,:4cloud2:
4th: Tony Guava :4mewtwo:

1st: Wrath :4sonic:
2nd: Harlock :4sheik:
3rd: Kamikaze :4yoshi:
4th: MarioKid :4mario:

1st: SilentRain :4bayonetta:,:4mario:
2nd: Biggymouth :4rob:
3rd: Mace :4fox:
4th: Braixen :4fox:,:4diddy:

1st: Euk :4sheik:
2nd: Paisen :4lucas:
3rd: BluB :4bayonetta:
4th: MukA^ :substitute:

Bayonetta: 751.5
Diddy Kong: 731.5
Cloud: 636.5
Sheik: 481.5
Mario: 427
Sonic: 410
Fox: 407.5
Zero Suit Samus: 338.5
Rosalina & Luma: 277.5
Ryu: 249.5
Mewtwo: 228
Corrin: 194.5
Mega Man: 162
Marth: 153
Pikachu: 151
Meta Knight: 139.5
Captain Falcon: 139
Donkey Kong: 138.5
Peach: 133.5
Greninja: 121
Ness: 118
Bowser: 110.5
Luigi: 106.5
Villager: 100.5
Toon Link: 84.5
Lucina: 84
R.O.B.: 79
Olimar: 73.5
Lucas: 70.5
Samus: 66
Yoshi: 65.5
Duck Hunt: 65
Lucario: 63.5
Little Mac: 52.5
Mr. Game & Watch: 43.5
Roy: 43.5
Ike: 42.5
Wario: 40
Pac-Man: 42
Charizard: 37
Robin: 34.5
Wii Fit Trainer: 30.5
Link: 26.5
Pit: 23.5
Shulk: 22
Palutena: 18
King Dedede: 14
Falco: 12
Ganondorf: 10
Jigglypuff: 9.5
Kirby: 7
Zelda: 5
Bowser Jr.: 4
Mii Brawler: 3.5
Mii Gunner: 3
Dark Pit: 2

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Funny thing - Locus made a joke tweet yesterday about how in 2020, all the Brawl vets would have switched to Diddy and all the newcomers would play Bayonetta.

That falls perfectly in line with my post from the other day - the Brawl vets and the newcomers approach the game very differently, placing value on different attributes. Amazing neutral? Or Sm4sh factor personified?

my_T

Smash Journeyman
I would like to point out a difference that the Corrin nay sayers seem to be overlooking. Corrin has gained a lot of good results off of solo runs where as the results that DK/Bowsers have gained have been mostly through secondary counter pick usage. It would be nice if people wouldn't overlook such an important detail.

Oh and Corrin, unlike DK/Bowser, actually has a solid MU chart. DK/Bowser on the other hand live and die by bracket luck.

and haven't numerous posters in here including myself pointed out many if not all of Corrins strengths and weaknesses? She's pretty damn solid. She loses to a chunk of the top tiers as do most characters. Outside of top tier she also loses to Falcon and probably Meta Knight as well. DK, Bowser, and Ryu can make her sweat a little but aren't losing MU's. What other characters in the roster can boast a winning MU against Corrin? I can't think of any

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Let's look at top 15 based on results:

1. Bayonetta: 751.5
2. Diddy Kong: 731.5
3. Cloud: 636.5
4. Sheik: 481.5
5. Mario: 427
6. Sonic: 410
7. Fox: 407.5
8. Zero Suit Samus: 338.5
9. Rosalina & Luma: 277.5
10. Ryu: 249.5
11. Mewtwo: 228
12. Corrin: 194.5
13. Mega Man: 162
14. Marth: 153
15. Pikachu: 151

Lucina has 84 points, so if you combine Marth and Lucina they get 237 points and thus 11th.

Corrin (:4corrinf:) is at #12 or #13 based on results. Her MU chart is pretty good, with no losses worse than 45:55 (except maybe Sheik, but even then Cosmos has almost beaten VoiD several times), and she might potentially win against Bayonetta (Ryuga claims that she does) and Mario (many people believe that she either beats Mario or goes even with Mario). She might also potentially beat Rosalina & Luma (or it's even). She beats or goes even with every mid tier and high tier and beats every low tier. How is this not a top 20 character?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I'm not too knowledgeable about Corrin besides knowing she's a pain for Ryu to face. If it's true that Corrin beats Bayo and goes even with Rosaluma, I think I'll start using her. Sonic's doable for Ryu if you play with a patient cornering game, so the Trela/Cosmos duo, Ryu and Corrin, could go places IMO(for main & secondary purposrs, not a doubles pair). Wonder how it'd fare vs Diddy tho

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Corrin beats bayo based on what? I'm curious.
Note that I'm not taking a stand right now, but here's the argument for Corrin beating Bayonetta: Results and theory. Corrins (like Cosmos and MkLeo) have been doing really well against Bayonettas recently. Furthermore, some Corrins, like Ryuga, argue that Bayonetta loses. Here are some of Ryuga's arguments:

Bayonetta struggles to use Witch Time in the MU (if she tries to Witch Time she'll get bitten and die at 65%), and Corrin consistently wins neutral against Bayonetta. Furthermore, Corrin can avoid getting gimped by Bayonetta, and can kill with upair around 110%. Bayonetta, meanwhile, struggles to get a kill until around 130%.

This, Ryuga believes, adds up to Corrin winning the MU.

If Corrin ends up being Bayonettas worst MU then we might end up seeing quite a few more Corrin secondaries in the future. That would be fun.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Just wanting to give my two cents on the Corrin-Rosa match up while I'm here instead of lurking as I usually do. From my experience it is a pretty even mu.

First of all, Corrin has some of the best tools to deal with Luma: side b instakills him if he/she gets the kick or the tipper hitbox from like 1/3 of the stage distance from the edge and (double) fair > bair is also a KO. On the other hand, Rosa has enough tools and mobility to punish Corrin's commitment and still play neutral safely even without Luma.
Still, I can see the match-up evolving slightly in Corrin's favor if some discoveries in his/her metagame are discovered since it's already one of the two match-ups that I consider even for Rosa that give substantial trouble (the other being ZSS).

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
and she might potentially win against Bayonetta (Ryuga claims that she does)
I would take Ryuga's word with a grain of salt there, he has some pretty outlandish opinions (cloud being Corrin's worst mu when sheik is there)

Outside of top tier she also loses to Falcon and probably Meta Knight as well. DK, Bowser, and Ryu can make her sweat a little but aren't losing MU's. What other characters in the roster can boast a winning MU against Corrin? I can't think of any
Here is what Frozen thinks Corrin's mus are

Attachments

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
https://smash.gg/tournament/2ggc-west-side-saga/shop/2ggift-shop-15

Lots of people for West Side saga could attend, and all of them would be awesome.

- Team Japan: KEN :4sonic:, Kirihara :rosalina:, Tsu- :4lucario: :4ryu:, Shuton :4olimar:, and T :4link: (!!)
- Luhtie :4zss: and SS :4villager: :4ness: (Package deal)
- WAR :4ryu:
- Konga :4dk:
- "Team NorCal", "Team Vegas", and "Team Arizona"; donating to these will give them money to carpool players.

I like that they changed up who team japan was this time. And T could come back! Yes!

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I want to defend this post because unfortunately, everyone seems to have missed the very good point being made.

You can't make some blanket statements and just expect everyone to agree with it.

We have done this song and dance so many times with so many different characters and the results are always similar. "Common knowledge" about the viability of who is or isn't flavour of the month eventually gets debunked, and then we all start looking very stupid because we clearly failed to be thorough in our analysis.

It happens pretty often.

Nothing is set in stone. What is common accepted knowledge now may not be this time next month. Maybe players have an off-season or stop attending and their character's results come right down. Maybe the ruleset changes, which has a knock-on effect on character viability. Maybe counterplay develops in reaction to the flavour of the month. People adapt their strategies and suddenly X character isn't so good anymore.
Diddy is the poster boy of this. Not that long ago, the vast majority just accepted he was top five. But then a few players dropped some bombshells and now people are arguing about whether he actually is.
The same sort of thing happened with Ryu. And oh how we love to mock those who once said Ryu is the best in the game, but real talk, most of you believed he was top five at one point.
The same debate is happening with Sheik right now.
The same debate will probably happen with Cloud down the line.
Something similar has happened with lesser characters like Greninja, Toon Link and Meta Knight. We all thought they were better than they actually were because we didn't look closely enough.

Why couldn't something like this happen with Corrin as well?

Tear me apart if you want but he's making a very good point, if you all just drop your egos for a second and look at what it is he's saying.
Note that I'm not taking a stand right now, but here's the argument for Corrin beating Bayonetta: Results and theory. Corrins (like Cosmos and MkLeo) have been doing really well against Bayonettas recently. Furthermore, some Corrins, like Ryuga, argue that Bayonetta loses. Here are some of Ryuga's arguments:

Bayonetta struggles to use Witch Time in the MU (if she tries to Witch Time she'll get bitten and die at 65%), and Corrin consistently wins neutral against Bayonetta. Furthermore, Corrin can avoid getting gimped by Bayonetta, and can kill with upair around 110%. Bayonetta, meanwhile, struggles to get a kill until around 130%.

This, Ryuga believes, adds up to Corrin winning the MU.

If Corrin ends up being Bayonettas worst MU then we might end up seeing quite a few more Corrin secondaries in the future. That would be fun.

Rember when Elegant was beating several top Bayo's and suddenly people were all saying Luigi beat Bayo?, but those Bayo mains learned and adapted to the MU and started doing much better vs elegant?

Not saying the same thing could happen woth Corrin, but it's more than possible

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Rember when everyome was saying Luigi beast Bayo because Elegant was beating so many, but then Bayo mains learned and adapted to the MU and started doing much better vs elegant?

Not saying the same thing cpuld happen woth Corrin, but it's more than possible
I mean, what was the last thing Elegant was at? I only remember him losing to Salem.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Rember when Elegant was beating several top Bayo's and suddenly people were all saying Luigi beat Bayo?, but those Bayo mains learned and adapted to the MU and started doing much better vs elegant?

Not saying the same thing cpuld happen woth Corrin, but it's more than possible
As far as Luigi vs Bayo goes, Luigi isn't nearly oppressive enough in neutral to have winning or even MU vs Bayo. He spends the whole match running around and shielding most of the time waiting for the Bayo player to **** up. He can't just push buttons like he can in other MU's because of witch time. The only thing he has going for him in the Bayo MU is his grab game and edge guarding, but Bayo has the best recovery, is one of the best edge guarders, and is one of the best anti-grab characters in the game. Why anyone ever thought Luigi had some kind of advantage vs Bayo is somewhat of a mystery to me.

Ness has the same strengths and weaknesses in the Bayo MU as Luigi. Both, however, are only at a slight disadvantage against her.

Also, Corrin has a few strengths that Ness and Luigi simply do not have so I highly doubt her MU's will get any worse than what they are right now.

Nah

Smash Champion
Y'all are missing the point. It's not about Bayo and Luigi.

The point is this: Why can't Corrin's success be attributed to people not understanding how to fight the character/MU inexperience? What is stopping her from dropping in public perception later on when years have passed, like with several other characters?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
How does megaman have such a consistently high character score? Where are these results coming from?
I'll look into this because I honestly have no idea, it'll be part of my end of phase/august post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom