• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
For underrated characters zard is only slightly underrated but he is good at countering cloud. I think anyone who knows they have to go up against him should do some zard labbing as zard is an easy character to figure out. Only problem is that's his ONLY niche.
Yeah, at least for now. But I don't think he is easy to figure out. He has a rather diverse moveset and lacks redundant attacks. The size of the skill gap between Sharpy and the other zards also seems huge to me, he's the only one who doesn't repeatedly pick poor options and throw out random strong moves as if though wishful thinking would make them hit. Now on to another low tier character...

You're downplaying his strengths. Weight 107 same as Wario and he can recover (unlike Roy), this means he can tank and abuse rage. He also doesn't need to be at point blank range to get good hits and can space with his big sword. Frame 4 jab mixups and a grab combo for damage and kills. Even if grab combos aren't the best you have to respect it. Good power in Ftilt for pivots, Dtilt can combo and DA kills and won't rebound. All this means he can play footsies and be a threat while doing it. Jab is also one of the scarier GTFOs for swordsmen and steps forward. A good jab really helps otherwise slow characters. His air speed is 1.08 21st place, run and walk are lacking but stages are confined spaces. He's not fast but he's not terrible either, in the mobility department. In the air Bair is a good move that kills and his other aerials have the range to beat most other characters with good spacing. So he can tank and potentially kill from most spacing situations.

Ike's mid tier, on the lower end but better than low tier.

Who destroys Ike? What do his bad MUs look like?
I am? Provide examples plz. I never denied he was heavy, I know he is. I also know that while his recovery isn't the best its solid and gets the job done almost all the time, he has weaknesses recovery wise (vulnerable at the apex of his up-b, side-b being possible to stop without him getting to up-b afterwards by jumping into it and airdodging, and other char specific stuff) but they aren't easy to exploit and Ike can mix things up a bit to keep from being predictable. But it should be mentioned that Ike gets away with gimpable ways of recovering all the time because no one bothers to learn how to fight him (a strong indicator of low tier status statistically speaking).

Now of course he thrives off of rage, dude I said his grab game was good in my own post. And yeah he doesn't need to be at pointblank range to hit, he has this big sharp metallic stick which he swings at his opponent, it seems to increase his effective range. These are just facts I didn't bother bringing up since they are pretty common knowledge, anyone who wants to voice in on Ike's status needs to know this stuff.

I already brought up his jab as well and grab game in greater detail. Yes his jab is quick for a swordsman, but it isn't scarier than Marths or Lucina. They can land kill moves directly from jabs. Ike struggles doing the same, though jabjab>bair is probs far from impossible to land at the right percentage and rage especially on chars with certain properties. Rather, Ike will mostly be doing jab cancels into grabs since that guarantees him solid damage well up into percents and isnt hard to land so long as you dont get too predictable with it. Frame 4 is good for a swordsman jab, but just like Clouds frame 4 jab, Ikes doesn't use his sword initially, thus its more of a regular jab on a swordsman.

Speaking of Clouds jab, it has quite a lot of pros over Ikes. While it isn't scary as Ike's since it doesn't lend itself very well to damaging or stock taking conversions, it is a more reliable defensive move. Clouds jab, especially its first hit, outranges Ike's, and Cloud moves forward further than Ike does while doing his jab combo. The final hit of Clouds jab also has better knockback than Ike's since it launches opponents in a more horizontal angle rather than in a diagonal one. This horizontal knockback in combination with the fact that Clouds jab combo in itself carries opponents horizontally means that Cloud gains a lot of stage control from landing his jab, oftentimes it will push opponents offstage or force them to fight from a cornered position. Moreover, Ike's jab combo (which you do need to use occasionally, at early percents where jab cancels wont work, and in order to condition the opponent into falling for jab cancels later) lacking range on its initial hit makes it so that he is unable to punish moves which Clouds jab could. Clouds movement during his jab animations also makes his jab harder to punish since good Clouds can use it to perform crossups and likewise in order to trick their opponents into thinking there's a crossup coming. Cloud will typically rarely go for jab cancels. He can do certain jab cancels however, they just require more conditioning and close attention being payed to the factors which influence said move. Now the range difference is minor; however, since initial jabs tend to be rather short ranged the difference is pretty big relatively speaking, similarly to how a 1 frame difference matters a lot more on your average f-tilt than it does on your average f-smash.

(Again, no strawmans please, Ike has the superior jab, I just want ya'll to understand its limitations, and since ya'll seem to benefit from pedagogical methods of explanation I compared it to Clouds. Now ya'll can go ahead and compare it to other jabs or you can just accept the truth and admit in your hearts that Ike is bad)
Now furthermore, you're severely overrating Ike's mobility by calling it good, as someone mentioned already: air acceleration speed matters and Ike sucks at it. Ike can move, but he can't manouvre. His mobility specs are clearly bad and you should also feel bad about thinking you could get away with calling it something else by tunnel visioning on the only attribute supporting your delusion while ignoring the larger picture.

Finally you asked me who destroys Ike. The answer is a vast majority of the characters which are of relevance beat him, and thats what matters most. It also matters fairly much that Sheik and Diddy both shut him down, and that he can't really handle any top tier other than Marcina. He's such an obscure character that one can't speak with much certainty when it comes to most of his matchups however, and so rather than dwell into the realm of poorly grounded speculation I will finish this paragraph and move on to make an important point.
I'm not an expert on Ike's matchups (very few are, none of the people participating in this discussion are afaik), nor am I an expert on his results, but I do possess some kind of ability to think logically on occasion. One such occasion is now when I'm going to point out something most of you seem to be missing by asking a question you should've asked yourselfes before you instinctively rebelled at the notion of Ike being low tier.

How much of the tiny amount of results which Ike players have are due to people not knowing how to fight him? My bet is a considerable amount. Players such as Ryo being able to get a little work done using Ike isn't strange despite Ike being low tier. He hits pretty hard, his punishes are scary, he becomes insanely powerful with rage, his normals and aerials kill and they do it hard, ergo not knowing the Ike matchup can get you killed quickly. He's the kind of character which you can't make that many mistakes against. What would be strange, would be how little his best players are able to claim in terms of results if we were actually talking about a genuine mid tier character who can heavily punish lack of matchup knowledge and which few people know how to fight. In fact, it simply doesn't compute.

If Ike is mid tier then I guess people like Ryo and San must kinda be pretty mediocre maybe even bad players. Or maybe Ike is just low tier since everything indicates that being the case, doesn't mean he can't have a few favorable matchups here and there, even against genuinely good characters. The few characters which struggle to approach him even when employing patience will struggle against him. I can imagine Luigi not having that easy a time vs Ike, just going by intuition, but don't take my word on it for intuitions are not reliable.

To summarize things: Since ya'll must've accepted the fact that Ike is bad and low tier by now lets repeat some of the more prominent reasons why in order than you don't forget and regress into falsely believing him to be mid tier:

Ike is linear, simple, predictable, clumsy, slow, surprisingly lacking in terms of damage output since his combo game almost doesnt exist outside of throw followups, and Ike is very easily juggled. If you do know Ike's options (most importantly in neutral, Ike has little in terms of options in advantage, and in disadvantage his best is to lube up to make it less painful or maybe to pray) and patiently play around them while pushing hard once you get him into disadvantage he can't really do much at all. It's just that since Ike is scary and obscure the players wise enough not to do what Ike wants them to do (press buttons carelessly) are far fewer in number than they could be. Now lets all take a moment and consider in unison that despite the fact that a wast majority do what Ike wants them to do Ike still hardly gets anything done. Now repeat the following mantra in your head thrice when you wake up, once before lunch, and twice before you go to bed: Ike is low tier.

(Sorry about that last part, I just thought I'd try something different since logical and convincing arguments don't seem to be enough for a lot of people going by the ignorance demonstrated by several people following my last wall of text about Ike being bad and the good reasons why that is so. For instance RK who keeps on repeating misinformation I dealt with already, all the while relying on comparisons which don't require scrutiny in order for one to see they don't make sense at all, hey RK Ike isn't going to have a sudden surge like some of the characters you listed did, it happened to them but it cant happen to Ike and I've friggin' explained why so stop posting and start reading)

@Routa: Disagree, but I see your points. Have you seen Cosmos in dubs? Unlike in singles where people have the time and space they need to work their way around or past Corrins disjoints by exploiting her poor mobility and lack of safe on shield moves she is hard to get at in doubles. Nair goes from really really good in singles to positively godlike in doubles. Still I dunno, maybe youre right.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Diddy's results at top level are massively better than everyone else's since he is the only character that is regularly winning majors solo, which is a really big deal in terms of competitive viability.

In looking at character's present competitive peaks, no character has shown that they come particularly close to Diddy, which is why it would take a hefty analysis or justification to place any character over Diddy. A lot of arguments against Diddy come from the idea of him having underexposed weaknesses or him being the top tier that random mid/high tier beats "but it's just because of ZeRo" that these things aren't seen in practice. But at the end of the day, none of the theory against Diddy has kept him from getting the best results in competitive Smash / getting ZeRo lots of $$$ and people are wanting to judge Diddy's competitive viability based on situations that just aren't there in present top level play.

Diddy being #1 right now is virtually inarguable. Even with the powers driving advancements in other top tiers, the best that those characters have to offer is almost always and consistently being outperformed by the highest level of play Diddy has to offer. If someone for whatever reason decided that in discussing competitive Smash (AKA something totally inextricable from ZeRo) to exclude ZeRo when considering Diddy's viability and then compare him to other characters without excluding their best reps, you could make other characters look better. But if we're discussing the present state of competitive Smash, Diddy's top level results are much better than everyone else's and it isn't even that close.

It's interesting to discuss Diddy's flaws and one could predict that he may not stay #1 forever, but until these theoretical strategies are put into practice, are proven to work, and other characters start regularly winning majors besides Diddy, there is just no way any other character can be put ahead of Diddy in any realistic evaluation of competitive Smash. Every other top tier has more that they have to prove before they have any claim.

My personal prediction is that Diddy will stay #1 for the rest of this game's lifespan, but I guess the possibility for change is there.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Oh, I want to add on onto something, actually.
The sentiment that Sheik can't randomly close out stocks is absolutely incorrect.
Randomly as in "can kill you with a smash attack/throw/w/e if you airdodge into the ground or land with lag or some other technical flub". Sheik has a lot of setups, but the fact is that they exist primarily to make up for the fact that she doesn't have raw kill power. It is for similar reasons that you see Pac-Man/Villager/Duck Hunt/etc with very elaborate punish games, because they need them to actually get kills, but even then Pac-Man has working smash attacks and Megaman has one of if not the single best killing aerial in the game.

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
At MSM 100 Void had a huge 100+% lead against Kameme's Megaman and then after that Void struggled to kill Megaman only getting him to 122% ; then Kameme ended void's stock at like 71%

Sheik does have legitimate kill setups and oppressive stuff to end the stock but then there are time Sheik is just struggling really hard to end the stock despite outplaying the opponent and then something like rage kills happen.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
At tonight's Wednesday Night Fights its seen yet again with Leo and Ken in Loser's Semis, Leo switching off Cloud after getting beat game 1 versus Sonic (a favorable matchup) and bringing the set to a close game 5 after switching to Meta Knight (and won!)

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Now furthermore, you're severely overrating Ike's mobility by calling it good,
He's not fast but he's not terrible either, in the mobility department.
:facepalm:
To summarize things: Since ya'll must've accepted the fact that Ike is bad and low tier by now lets repeat some of the more prominent reasons why in order than you don't forget and regress into falsely believing him to be mid tier:

Ike is linear, simple, predictable, clumsy, slow, surprisingly lacking in terms of damage output since his combo game almost doesnt exist outside of throw followups, and Ike is very easily juggled. If you do know Ike's options (most importantly in neutral, Ike has little in terms of options in advantage, and in disadvantage his best is to lube up to make it less painful or maybe to pray) and patiently play around them while pushing hard once you get him into disadvantage he can't really do much at all. It's just that since Ike is scary and obscure the players wise enough not to do what Ike wants them to do (press buttons carelessly) are far fewer in number than they could be. Now lets all take a moment and consider in unison that despite the fact that a wast majority do what Ike wants them to do Ike still hardly gets anything done. Now repeat the following mantra in your head thrice when you wake up, once before lunch, and twice before you go to bed: Ike is low tier.
Ike has decent footsies as shown in my last post. He has jab mixups, grab combos and Dtilt that add decent damage as well as good damage on hit. Ike can't push advantage hard but I'm not arguing he's high tier. How hard can Shulk juggle?
I'm not an expert on Ike's matchups
Then why are you even talking? We already have an Ike expert:
Since I was mentioned, just going to talk about this part. Ike needs to play air->ground and ground->air, there are times for both. The crouching thing was for a few specific scenarios that has become commonplace and well-used since I made that comment a long time ago.

Ike doesn't have enough of his best players going to tournament. My situation for example, is that I'm often busy at work, and many larger East Coast Tournaments have become more sparse without a 10+ hour drive. As far as low tier or not, I welcome being able to play in low tier tournaments, but my thoughts on the character hasn't really changed within the last year where he's somewhere in the middle.

Something that was mentioned earlier was his lack of grounded pokes. I think dtilt is still a fairly decent move for that purpose until you reach higher levels of play where you can get punished for whiffing once you become predictable. I think it would've been perfect had they not nerfed his jab so much, making it okay instead of a great tool. Dtilt is still good when spaced and mixed with perfect pivots, and has the reward to make up for the risk. Uthrow may not be Bowser/DK good, but it's still a pretty consistent confirm at low rage, and even with rage has a very high 50/50 margin and can be used with fair/uair/nair interchangeably.

Could go into more detail, but have to leave.
Hippieslayer Hippieslayer , the problem is you're arguing Ike is low tier and have only shown him to be bad enough to be mid tier. Mid tier has Link, Shulk, G&W. Low tier has Bowser Jr, Palutena and WFT; are you saying Ike is as bad as they are?

Showing Ike is worse than Cloud and Marcina only means he's not top tier. People here have said Ike only loses hard to Sheik, Bayo and Diddy; many mid tiers do. Look at DK's MU spread and he's at the top of mid-tier.

I'm going to settle this right now, @san. people have said Ike has mostly even MUs, is that true? Low tiers do not have mostly even MUs and a few good ones with high tiers.

And why are we tolerating this kind of post here?
No. You have been disqualified following this vulgar display of wrongness. I suppose I have to write something more even tho I shouldnt. Diddy destroys Ike. Diddy without MU knowledge can die fast, but Diddy played the right way shuts Ike down, Also people are wrong about Ikes matchups in general. Gonna wall of text in order to reply to all the people who are wrong about Ike. This time around they better start reading my posts tho. I look back in the thread and I see so many people writing stupid stuff that is wrong despite me having taken the time to explain it all in detail for them. I will be back later. Shape up ffs.
since logical and convincing arguments don't seem to be enough for a lot of people going by the ignorance demonstrated by several people
You've double posted, called those who disagree stupid including people who play Ike in tournament, admitted you don't know Ike's MUs and only really proven Ike's lower mid-tier.

I'm sick of your deluded BS and insulting everyone who disagrees. You've wasted my time long enough. Ignored.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Yeah, at least for now. But I don't think he is easy to figure out. He has a rather diverse moveset and lacks redundant attacks. The size of the skill gap between Sharpy and the other zards also seems huge to me, he's the only one who doesn't repeatedly pick poor options and throw out random strong moves as if though wishful thinking would make them hit. Now on to another low tier character...
Hrmm for the sake of debate can you give me some examples? Also can the examples work both online and offline because if not the mix-ups to me are situational sorry (kinda hard to practice mix-ups when online lag makes it impossible)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hrmm for the sake of debate can you give me some examples? Also can the examples work both online and offline because if not the mix-ups to me are situational sorry (kinda hard to practice mix-ups when online lag makes it impossible)
Examples of what exactly?

Sharpy not throwing out unsafe stuff?

He mainly just spaces with safe moves like jab, D Tilt and Flamethrower til the opponent makes a mistake and goes ham.

Point is, he actually plays the character as intended.

Zard has an outstanding punish game and can punish a surprising amount of things with relative ease. Instead of just hoping for armor to save him like some other Zards, Sharpy actually uses the armor when and only when he can get away with it.

This is actually why Zard can be hard to play for a lot of people. If you're not good at reads or punishes, you straight up can't play Zard effectively. :4charizard:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Examples of what exactly?

Sharpy not throwing out unsafe stuff?

He mainly just spaces with safe moves like jab, D Tilt and Flamethrower til the opponent makes a mistake and goes ham.

Point is, he actually plays the character as intended.

Zard has an outstanding punish game and can punish a surprising amount of things with relative ease. Instead of just hoping for armor to save him like some other Zards, Sharpy actually uses the armor when and only when he can get away with it.

This is actually why Zard can be hard to play for a lot of people. If you're not good at reads or punishes, you straight up can't play Zard effectively. :4charizard:
I was playing vs a G&W last week and whipped out Charizard. He has a good MU vs G&W. Armor beats many of G&W's main spacing and punish options, Usmash and jab are great too.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Can I just remind people Charizard actually has some really good buttons; like, actually amazing buttons?

Yes, we all know about his famed Jab, Utilt and Usmash for various reasons, but what about some of his aerials?

Fair: active frame 8 for 4 frames, so solid frame data to start. Frames 8-9 deal 12% and send at the Sakurai angle, which alone is good, but frames 10-11 deal 13% (so more damage) and send at 34°, AKA a semi spike angle. This is actually insane for a move of that damage and raw power anyways. When you consider he can combo into it from Dthrow, this is a pretty big deal.

Nair: another great move. Covers all around him with a very active hitbox (frames 9-25), dealing 9% or 12% - if the 12% hitbox (the flame) hits before landing, it's safe. Combined, these traits make it a great approach and landing tool.

Bair: I see this move rarely talked about, but this is an amazing move. This move pretty much Falcon Knee: the upgrade. It has the same power as sweetspot Knee when sweetspotted on the flame, but is safe on landing due to it having amazing range. The sourspot is also much more rewarding, and so long as it isn't spaced along the bottom half of the tail, is still safe. The last patch's landing lag buff really let this move come into it's own.

Uair and Dair aren't really much to shout about other than them being similar to other moves like Bowser Uair or DK Dair, but they're still solid. Uair has silimar use to Bowser's Uair, albeit a little slower, but it has more range and a bigger intangibility bubble, so it can beat out things easier. Also helped by the fact Charizard has more midair jumps. Dair is your standard Dair spike with solid power, but it's worth noting it's got a lingering hitbox that is actually quite powerful; think Ganon or Falcon sourspot Dairs.

I genuinely think Charizard isn't low tier, personally. His probably in a similar position to Ike; a good character just lacking in results. However, in contrast to Ike, I still feel Charizard has much more going for him. I've seen Leo claim Charizrad might be high tier. It depends on who else is high tier, or how large it is (let's remember how large ZeRo's high tiers are), but honestly, it's not a crazy claim. I personally think he's somewhere in mid tier.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Can I just remind people Charizard actually has some really good buttons; like, actually amazing buttons?

Yes, we all know about his famed Jab, Utilt and Usmash for various reasons, but what about some of his aerials?

Fair: active frame 8 for 4 frames, so solid frame data to start. Frames 8-9 deal 12% and send at the Sakurai angle, which alone is good, but frames 10-11 deal 13% (so more damage) and send at 34°, AKA a semi spike angle. This is actually insane for a move of that damage and raw power anyways. When you consider he can combo into it from Dthrow, this is a pretty big deal.

Nair: another great move. Covers all around him with a very active hitbox (frames 9-25), dealing 9% or 12% - if the 12% hitbox (the flame) hits before landing, it's safe. Combined, these traits make it a great approach and landing tool.

Bair: I see this move rarely talked about, but this is an amazing move. This move pretty much Falcon Knee: the upgrade. It has the same power as sweetspot Knee when sweetspotted on the flame, but is safe on landing due to it having amazing range. The sourspot is also much more rewarding, and so long as it isn't spaced along the bottom half of the tail, is still safe. The last patch's landing lag buff really let this move come into it's own.

Uair and Dair aren't really much to shout about other than them being similar to other moves like Bowser Uair or DK Dair, but they're still solid. Uair has silimar use to Bowser's Uair, albeit a little slower, but it has more range and a bigger intangibility bubble, so it can beat out things easier. Also helped by the fact Charizard has more midair jumps. Dair is your standard Dair spike with solid power, but it's worth noting it's got a lingering hitbox that is actually quite powerful; think Ganon or Falcon sourspot Dairs.

I genuinely think Charizard isn't low tier, personally. His probably in a similar position to Ike; a good character just lacking in results. However, in contrast to Ike, I still feel Charizard has much more going for him. I've seen Leo claim Charizrad might be high tier. It depends on who else is high tier, or how large it is (let's remember how large ZeRo's high tiers are), but honestly, it's not a crazy claim. I personally think he's somewhere in mid tier.
Disclaimer: this isnt a knock on your post, and I actually do think Charizard is an underrated character, but I could sort of do a mad libs of this post with Ike's name instead of Charizard (except the DK Bowser part)

There's a few differences though. Ike's n-air opens up a large tree of followups when landed (f-air, b-air, footstool d-air reset) and is safe on block when spaced due to its generous landing lag, making it a good approach and landing tool (but cannot over rely and get predictable, ofc). These followups last quite a while too, from low to mid percent ranges. Then there's the late hitbox of n-air, which actually combos at late percents into b-air, and even kill confirms into uair.

Because of the long disjoint and somewhat lenient landing lag of Ike's f-air, it can be viably used as a midrange poke in neutral that's safe on block. And given the massive arc of the move, it covers a slew of ledge options and landing options that very few characters can contest, while the large majority of the cast is forced to respect Ike's fair with either an airdodge or double jump.

Then there's Ike's b-air. It's quite literally an upgrade of Clouds b-air (and everyone knows that move well by now) in almost every aspect if not for the fact that it belongs to a character with a worse jumpsquat and air acceleration, but it's a completely busted move nonetheless.

Again this isn't to disagree or disrespect your post, and I agree that Charizard has great moves, but throughout this discussion for the past few pages I've always gotten the vibe that Ike's strengths are being downplayed here.

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
One thing to note is that at WNF, Raito played Larry again offstream and won 2-0, and then won to Kameme 2-1.

Looking like a good season for the dogs. Top 20 wise, Raito has a win on Anti, Leo, Kameme, and two on Larry. Factor in Brood with wins on Zero and Zinoto too.

EDIT: Actually, those last two would technically count as the Winter season due to being Genesis. My appologies.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I don't generally post on here much anymore since I only really get hate for it and nothing else, but I felt like commenting on the underrated and overrated thing anyway (Although most of you probably know what I'm gonna say anyway).

For overrated::4marth::4lucina:(Wow, surprising, I still think they're overrated) mostly because I think their matchup spread is not as good as most say, espicially aganist zoners. They struggle with projectiles, along with some other characters like :4sonic: and from what I've heard, some super heavies like :4dk:, plus others.

For underrated::4pacman: (Wow, even more surprising, not really) once again, I think his matchup spread is highly underrated. He does really good overall aganist the cast, he has many even or even winning matchups aganist even top and high tiers. Additionally, he only has one horrible matchup (:4cloud:). He seems pretty good to me outside of the lack of results. I think that's the main reason he's underrated; Not many people play him due to the skill rate, and his few players don't go to many big tournaments; thus, giving him few results and not many people see much of him. I feel like if Tea went to a big tournament, he could do really good.

I also think more characters are Overrated/Underrated but I didn't feel like talking about them all.

Anyway, on another note, I haven't been able to watch many tournaments lately, so I might be behind on things. Am I right in assuming that this would be the general consensus of the tier list (Only Semi-Ordered; not exactly in ordered, but the ones on the beginning of the tier would be better than the ones on the end of the tier, for example):

Top Tier::4bayonetta::4diddy::4cloud::4sheik::rosalina::4sonic::4fox::4zss::4mewtwo::4mario::4marth::4lucina:

High Tier::4ryu::4olimar::4metaknight::4corrin::4falcon::4villager::4pikachu::4luigi:

Upper Mid Tier::4megaman::4peach::4greninja::4lucario::4dk::4bowser::4tlink:

Mid Tier::4lucas::4ness::4yoshi::4rob::4samus::4link::4pit::4darkpit::4duckhunt:

Lower Mid Tier::4robinm::4shulk::4myfriends::4gaw::4wario:

Low Tier::4charizard::4feroy::4pacman::4kirby::4palutena::4wiifit::4drmario::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4falco:

Bottom Tier::4zelda::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff:

Note that this IS NOT my actual tier list. Just a guess at the general consensus

Well, sorry for posting.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace

:4charizard: ability to control the zone around him is very very good. Fair is an incredible rising aerial to meet air-to-air challenges, while Dtilt and Ftilt are good at stopping on-coming attackers. It can be really hard to get in on Charizard when he's spacing well. I agree that Bair is insane.

His disadvantage is poor, but I think Charizard is a pretty good midtier as well. However, he lacks the strong CP advantage that :4bowser::4dk: have. I could see him doing well against the swordsmen though.

As far as overrated goes my pick is :4sonic:. He's too reliant on Spindash/grabs to get things started since his grounded buttons and airspeed are so terrible, and too many people have gotten good at playing against Spindash.

Last edited:

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
The Problem with ike mains isn't that they are bad or can't get results. If they attend they get the results a solid midtier would have.

Like San already said he has other stuff to do and everything even a little bit relevant is pretty far away. Ryo isn't attending too much either and then we have Waldo who does more than good in NY but really nobody here knows him. He is probably as good as San and Ryo. You can also see that there kinda is a rep problem because Ike's doesn't really travel much and therefore don't bring in much results.

It is only logical that he is on decline. That doesn't mean he's lowtier because if you push Ike down into lowtier you have to replace his current spot with a character that right now is in lowtier and the only character that seems like she can do that is Samus. (If i use the Current 4br list as reference)

Even if he loses hard to Diddy and Sheik(Not so much against Bayo in my opinion unless it is like the campiest bayo ever(Salem)) Which midtier doesn't lose pretty hard to at least 3-4 Toptiers?

Oh and btw if i look at that i don't really think clouds jab1 has that much more range?
http://i.imgur.com/Zk54Zmm.gif

https://gfycat.com/BrokenAgreeableElephantbeetle

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Kinda interested in what makes some people think Diddy is overrated, not saying your wrong but I'm curious.
Diddy being #1 right now is virtually inarguable.
This is why. I think Bayonetta, Cloud, and Mr. R/Void-level Sheik* are better than Diddy.

*Diddy is significantly easier to play than Sheik though, so at most level Diddy will be better.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I don't generally post on here much anymore since I only really get hate for it and nothing else, but I felt like commenting on the underrated and overrated thing anyway (Although most of you probably know what I'm gonna say anyway).

For overrated::4marth::4lucina:(Wow, surprising, I still think they're overrated) mostly because I think their matchup spread is not as good as most say, espicially aganist zoners. They struggle with projectiles, along with some other characters like :4sonic: and from what I've heard, some super heavies like :4dk:, plus others.

For underrated::4pacman: (Wow, even more surprising, not really) once again, I think his matchup spread is highly underrated. He does really good overall aganist the cast, he has many even or even winning matchups aganist even top and high tiers. Additionally, he only has one horrible matchup (:4cloud:). He seems pretty good to me outside of the lack of results. I think that's the main reason he's underrated; Not many people play him due to the skill rate, and his few players don't go to many big tournaments; thus, giving him few results and not many people see much of him. I feel like if Tea went to a big tournament, he could do really good.
I guess they patched new characters because I didn't heard of zoners that beat Marcina. Which ones? :4duckhunt::4villager::4tlink::4wiifit::4pacman:all clearly lose to them, :4robinf::4olimar::4lucas::4megaman::4rob: I'm not too sure.:4dk: is a game of who gets advantage first, free for anyone to take. Mmm, who are this mysterious characters that beat Marcina that you don't mention? I can't read minds.

Which top/high tiers does:4pacman: beat? Explain. You can't come in here and expect us to believe you without a single example.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

I am? Provide examples plz. I never denied he was heavy, I know he is. I also know that while his recovery isn't the best its solid and gets the job done almost all the time, he has weaknesses recovery wise (vulnerable at the apex of his up-b, side-b being possible to stop without him getting to up-b afterwards by jumping into it and airdodging, and other char specific stuff) but they aren't easy to exploit and Ike can mix things up a bit to keep from being predictable. But it should be mentioned that Ike gets away with gimpable ways of recovering all the time because no one bothers to learn how to fight him (a strong indicator of low tier status statistically speaking).

Now of course he thrives off of rage, dude I said his grab game was good in my own post. And yeah he doesn't need to be at pointblank range to hit, he has this big sharp metallic stick which he swings at his opponent, it seems to increase his effective range. These are just facts I didn't bother bringing up since they are pretty common knowledge, anyone who wants to voice in on Ike's status needs to know this stuff.

I already brought up his jab as well and grab game in greater detail. Yes his jab is quick for a swordsman, but it isn't scarier than Marths or Lucina. They can land kill moves directly from jabs. Ike struggles doing the same, though jabjab>bair is probs far from impossible to land at the right percentage and rage especially on chars with certain properties. Rather, Ike will mostly be doing jab cancels into grabs since that guarantees him solid damage well up into percents and isnt hard to land so long as you dont get too predictable with it. Frame 4 is good for a swordsman jab, but just like Clouds frame 4 jab, Ikes doesn't use his sword initially, thus its more of a regular jab on a swordsman.

Speaking of Clouds jab, it has quite a lot of pros over Ikes. While it isn't scary as Ike's since it doesn't lend itself very well to damaging or stock taking conversions, it is a more reliable defensive move. Clouds jab, especially its first hit, outranges Ike's, and Cloud moves forward further than Ike does while doing his jab combo. The final hit of Clouds jab also has better knockback than Ike's since it launches opponents in a more horizontal angle rather than in a diagonal one. This horizontal knockback in combination with the fact that Clouds jab combo in itself carries opponents horizontally means that Cloud gains a lot of stage control from landing his jab, oftentimes it will push opponents offstage or force them to fight from a cornered position. Moreover, Ike's jab combo (which you do need to use occasionally, at early percents where jab cancels wont work, and in order to condition the opponent into falling for jab cancels later) lacking range on its initial hit makes it so that he is unable to punish moves which Clouds jab could. Clouds movement during his jab animations also makes his jab harder to punish since good Clouds can use it to perform crossups and likewise in order to trick their opponents into thinking there's a crossup coming. Cloud will typically rarely go for jab cancels. He can do certain jab cancels however, they just require more conditioning and close attention being payed to the factors which influence said move. Now the range difference is minor; however, since initial jabs tend to be rather short ranged the difference is pretty big relatively speaking, similarly to how a 1 frame difference matters a lot more on your average f-tilt than it does on your average f-smash.

(Again, no strawmans please, Ike has the superior jab, I just want ya'll to understand its limitations, and since ya'll seem to benefit from pedagogical methods of explanation I compared it to Clouds. Now ya'll can go ahead and compare it to other jabs or you can just accept the truth and admit in your hearts that Ike is bad)
Now furthermore, you're severely overrating Ike's mobility by calling it good, as someone mentioned already: air acceleration speed matters and Ike sucks at it. Ike can move, but he can't manouvre. His mobility specs are clearly bad and you should also feel bad about thinking you could get away with calling it something else by tunnel visioning on the only attribute supporting your delusion while ignoring the larger picture.

Finally you asked me who destroys Ike. The answer is a vast majority of the characters which are of relevance beat him, and thats what matters most. It also matters fairly much that Sheik and Diddy both shut him down, and that he can't really handle any top tier other than Marcina. He's such an obscure character that one can't speak with much certainty when it comes to most of his matchups however, and so rather than dwell into the realm of poorly grounded speculation I will finish this paragraph and move on to make an important point.
I'm not an expert on Ike's matchups (very few are, none of the people participating in this discussion are afaik), nor am I an expert on his results, but I do possess some kind of ability to think logically on occasion. One such occasion is now when I'm going to point out something most of you seem to be missing by asking a question you should've asked yourselfes before you instinctively rebelled at the notion of Ike being low tier.

How much of the tiny amount of results which Ike players have are due to people not knowing how to fight him? My bet is a considerable amount. Players such as Ryo being able to get a little work done using Ike isn't strange despite Ike being low tier. He hits pretty hard, his punishes are scary, he becomes insanely powerful with rage, his normals and aerials kill and they do it hard, ergo not knowing the Ike matchup can get you killed quickly. He's the kind of character which you can't make that many mistakes against. What would be strange, would be how little his best players are able to claim in terms of results if we were actually talking about a genuine mid tier character who can heavily punish lack of matchup knowledge and which few people know how to fight. In fact, it simply doesn't compute.

If Ike is mid tier then I guess people like Ryo and San must kinda be pretty mediocre maybe even bad players. Or maybe Ike is just low tier since everything indicates that being the case, doesn't mean he can't have a few favorable matchups here and there, even against genuinely good characters. The few characters which struggle to approach him even when employing patience will struggle against him. I can imagine Luigi not having that easy a time vs Ike, just going by intuition, but don't take my word on it for intuitions are not reliable.

(Sorry about that last part, I just thought I'd try something different since logical and convincing arguments don't seem to be enough for a lot of people going by the ignorance demonstrated by several people following my last wall of text about Ike being bad and the good reasons why that is so. For instance RK who keeps on repeating misinformation I dealt with already, all the while relying on comparisons which don't require scrutiny in order for one to see they don't make sense at all, hey RK Ike isn't going to have a sudden surge like some of the characters you listed did, it happened to them but it cant happen to Ike and I've friggin' explained why so stop posting and start reading)

@Routa: Disagree, but I see your points. Have you seen Cosmos in dubs? Unlike in singles where people have the time and space they need to work their way around or past Corrins disjoints by exploiting her poor mobility and lack of safe on shield moves she is hard to get at in doubles. Nair goes from really really good in singles to positively godlike in doubles. Still I dunno, maybe youre right.
This is a really arrogant way to say nothing. You did pretty much exactly what I said.

Summary:
- Comparing jabs (large part of post, but doesn't actually say anything... conclusion here is "worse than Marcina's, better than Cloud's")
- Repeating points about mobility (the person you replied to said it "wasn't terrible," not "good." On top of that, you don't really say anything meaningful here. I think we concluded Ike's recovery is effective, but could be countered better?)
- Matchups (you listed characters without reasons, then said it's hard to know his MUs, THEN said no one is really an expert on them)
- MU inexperience (another odd tangent, since you believe Ike is straightforward... wouldn't that mean MU inexperience wouldn't be that much of a factor? It's about how you use the "straightforward" tools. Solid fundamentals would go into effect more than surprise...)
- Then you go into a comment about Ryo and San, and as we established, the former mostly sticks to locals and plays most FE chars, while the latter is busy with real world responsibilities.

Then you say you proved something at this point? And you want to be condescending on top of that?

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Anyway, on another note, I haven't been able to watch many tournaments lately, so I might be behind on things. Am I right in assuming that this would be the general consensus of the tier list (Only Semi-Ordered; not exactly in ordered, but the ones on the beginning of the tier would be better than the ones on the end of the tier, for example):

Top Tier::4bayonetta::4diddy::4cloud::4sheik::rosalina::4sonic::4fox::4zss::4mewtwo::4mario::4marth::4lucina:

High Tier::4ryu::4olimar::4metaknight::4corrin::4falcon::4villager::4pikachu::4luigi:

Upper Mid Tier::4megaman::4peach::4greninja::4lucario::4dk::4bowser::4tlink:

Mid Tier::4lucas::4ness::4yoshi::4rob::4samus::4link::4pit::4darkpit::4duckhunt:

Lower Mid Tier::4robinm::4shulk::4myfriends::4gaw::4wario:

Low Tier::4charizard::4feroy::4pacman::4kirby::4palutena::4wiifit::4drmario::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4falco:

Bottom Tier::4zelda::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff:

Note that this IS NOT my actual tier list. Just a guess at the general consensus

Well, sorry for posting.
Decently accurate, I suppose. Some notes: :4megaman::4peach::4greninja::4lucario::4tlink: are generally considered high tier, sometimes :4dk: as well. :4lucas::4ness::4yoshi::4samus: seem to be considered Upper Mid Tier by many. :4robinf::4gaw: are probably a bit higher as well (probably Mid for many). :4charizard::4feroy::4palutena::4drmario::4falco: are probably considered Lower Mid Tier. And "Bottom Tier" as a whole is a controverial label, many would just call them Low Tiers (the 4BR tier list doesn't have any Bottom tiers at all right now).

Nah

Smash Champion
L9999 L9999 Robin-Marcina MU is slightly in Marcina's favor.

Explain though how :4duckhunt::4villager::4tlink: all "clearly lose" to Marth and Lucina. I don't ask this in a "nu ur wrong" way, I just don't really know and would kinda like to know why is all.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I guess they patched new characters because I didn't heard of zoners that beat Marcina. Which ones? :4duckhunt::4villager::4tlink::4wiifit::4pacman:all clearly lose to them, :4robinf::4olimar::4lucas::4megaman::4rob: I'm not too sure.:4dk: is a game of who gets advantage first, free for anyone to take. Mmm, who are this mysterious characters that beat Marcina that you don't mention? I can't read minds.

Which top/high tiers does:4pacman: beat? Explain. You can't come in here and expect us to believe you without a single example.
Pac-Man, Mega Man, Toon Link, Villager, Olimar, and most likely Duck Hunt beat Marcina. Not sure on the others.

For Pac-Man:

Beats::4diddy::4ryu::4luigi::4villager:(:4marth::4lucina::4corrin:)

Even::4sheik::rosalina::4sonic:

Decently accurate, I suppose. Some notes: :4megaman::4peach::4greninja::4lucario::4tlink: are generally considered high tier, sometimes :4dk: as well. :4lucas::4ness::4yoshi::4samus: seem to be considered Upper Mid Tier by many. :4robinf::4gaw: are probably a bit higher as well (probably Mid for many). :4charizard::4feroy::4palutena::4drmario::4falco: are probably considered Lower Mid Tier. And "Bottom Tier" as a whole is a controverial label, many would just call them Low Tiers (the 4BR tier list doesn't have any Bottom tiers at all right now).
Okay. So is this more accurate?

High Tier::4ryu::4olimar::4metaknight::4corrin::4falcon::4villager::4pikachu::4luigi::4megaman::4peach::4greninja::4lucario:

Mid Tier 1::4dk::4bowser::4tlink::4lucas::4ness::4yoshi::4rob::4samus::4link::4pit::4darkpit::4duckhunt:

Mid Tier 2::4robinm::4gaw::4shulk::4myfriends::4wario::4charizard::4feroy:

Low Tier::4pacman::4kirby::4palutena::4wiifit::4drmario::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4falco:

Bottom Tier/Low tier 2::4zelda::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
For Pac-Man:

I am ready for the best explanation in my life to prove this because I literally can't see this being reasonably possible at all. Is it because those characters you say he beats lack mobility? Isn't :rosalina: :4pacman:'s worst mu?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I am ready for the best explanation in my life to prove this because I literally can't see this being reasonably possible at all. Is it because those characters you say he beats lack mobility? Isn't :rosalina: :4pacman:'s worst mu?
Cloud is his worst matchup.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason

Explain though how :4duckhunt::4villager::4tlink: all "clearly lose" to Marth and Lucina. I don't ask this in a "nu ur wrong" way, I just don't really know and would kinda like to know why is all.
As a Duck Hunt main, DH struggles with swordies because of their massive disjoints being able to swat away Can pressure back to DH witout fear of it blowing up on them, slice the Pigeons, and safely poke at a distance. DH Fair isnt disjointed, so unless the DH is extremely good at whiff punishing Marths counter pokes, its super discouraging to space with FAir at risk at swinging at the same time. No Duck Hunt in the current metagame has displayed the ability to counterpoke in such ways.

DH can get away with MUs like Corrin, Ike, and Robin and make it even (or around even) due to their speed, but characters like Cloud, Marth, and Shulk can easily close gaps and thwart DHs desperate retreats for space.

Interestingly enough, Link is the best sword character against DH besides Cloud despite his speed due to his weight, ability to abuse rage, and having the tools to outcamp Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

Marcina can knock away the can without much trouble, they outrange DHD, their mobility lets them dodge projectiles, landing is also tough time. Offstage DHD eats damage or just dies offstage. DHD take too much time to kill and Marcina have some rage nonsense than kills you at mid %, not reliable but a factor that makes it hard for DHD to bring it back. DHD certainly has options, but it is easier for Marcina to get the lead or outright denying DHD to play. Villager and Tink are mostly the same deal, they have options and they have easier time killing than DHD, but once Marth is on their face and corners them on the edge they are screwed.

Pac-Man, Mega Man, Toon Link, Villager, Olimar, and most likely Duck Hunt beat Marcina. Not sure on the others.

For Pac-Man:

How, when and why does Pacman beats those characters and goes even against Rosa and Sonic? I don't think Pacman can get a good lead against those characters.

Last edited:

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
Interestingly enough, Link is the best sword character against DH besides Cloud despite his speed due to his weight, ability to abuse rage, and having the tools to outcamp Duck Hunt.
Well today I learned something. Can't say I've played a lot of DH's, but that's intriguing.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Not that it's anywhere near even, but Gravitational Pull is extremely overrated. It's helpful, but "lol down b gg" is an outdated perception of the matchup, and if you're just spamming Gravitational Pull and expecting a free win out of it you're going to lose. Smart usage of down-b combined with other parts of Rosa's gameplan can make the matchup hell though.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The sonic vs. Pac matchup is no where close to even. That matchup is abysmal for a few important reasons.

To give an example, I played seagull joe two days ago at Xanadu (a sonic main that knows the matchup well) and had my Pac dissected.

Pac can't set anything up because of sonic's speed AND on top of that, sonic can just run past the hydrant. Excellent game design sakurai Embarrass
I tried using Trampoline to get me some room to charge up fruits that could cleanly beat spindash, but seagull just punished me whenever I clicked up B due to the massive end lag.

When all of pac's lines of defense are gone, Pac can't defend from or chase (lol) sonic. I pretty much just got steamrolled for free with safe spindashes (good luck punishing sonic's landing without a key) and frustratingly safe gameplay.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
For Pac-Man:

How does he beat Marthcina/Corrin? Swords are his worst match-ups.

Villager is not to bad but not Pac's Favor. Its only Pac's favor if Villager play like a idiot around Pocket Hydrant.

Luigi I agree, Ryu is more even, Diddy is as close to a winning match-up vs a Top tier as you can get.

Sheik is slightly in favor for Sheik.

Sonic depents mostly on who gets the first stock.

Rosa is even for the reasons TDK said. GP is not good because it doesn't put her in advantage and she can't steal the fruit because she can't use luma with a item. Pac can even heal with side-b or get a fruit in hand by baiting GP.

Pac also has good Match-up's vs :4dk::4ness::4tlink:(:4mario:) (IDK about Mario, it either feels really bad or a winning match-up. on paper he should have problems with getting though Pac's zoning)

Notable Characters he beats or goes even
:4diddy::4dk::4fox::4luigi::4mario::4megaman::4ness::4peach::rosalina::4ryu::4tlink::4falcon::4bowser::4duckhunt:

Slightly loses

:4sheik::4bayonetta::4lucario::4metaknight::4pikachu::4samus::4villager::4sonic::4olimar::4zss::4rob:(:4corrinf:) Sinji and Zage think Corrin is even. Either they are gods or they know something I don't.

Bad Match's
:4cloud2::4cloud2::4cloud2::4mewtwo::4mewtwo::4mewtwo::4lucina::4marth:

PS: Having Bad Air speed is the worse thing you can have vs Pac and the main reason why Pac goes even or beats Diddy.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
PS: Having Bad Air speed is the worse thing you can have vs Pac and the main reason why Pac goes even or beats Diddy.
?

Kirby has worse airspeed, yet Zage and I agree the Pac Man/Kirby MU is roughly even.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
i think that :4diddy: is slightly overrated by most of the smash 4 community, primarily because people don't really understand the character's weaknesses and kind of just see zero winning with the character. diddy kong is very, very good, but is also very hard to be consistent with and win tournaments. the main thing that is overrated about diddy is his safety. forward air isn't safe if you run up and block it. down tilt can be punished oos if you know what your options are and time them properly (it's -9 on block), though it can be tougher to punish on crossup, as well as if well-spaced on the front of shield depending on the character. banana->dtilt pressure and banana->grab are actually pretty punishable if you respond properly, which means you have to understand the rps situation banana creates when it hits your shield. blank made a really good video that explains some of these concepts very effectively. there's a reason zero utilizes a lot of movement and doesn't always throw out too many buttons - it's not necessarily safe to do so. other weaknesses of diddy are pretty well-known, like the fact that he is outrewarded by most good characters and can be exploited pretty hard in disadvantage stage, particularly offstage. it's not that he gets gimped all the time, but diddy has to do a lot of work to bring matches back and doesn't appreciate the fact that he will sometimes just die at 0 offstage.

the reason diddy's neutral is really good pretty much has to do with the looming threat of banana and strength of diddy's toolkit in keeping opponents out. banana gives you the ability to apply pressure without really committing to anything, which is insanely good, and diddy's movement is super solid. his short frame makes it all the more agitating to hit diddy and fight against him. certain characters just can't compete with a diddy that isn't throwing out many unsafe options, creating certain lopsided matchups. diddy's ledge trapping is also top notch, though there's counterplay that people are being to exploit at top level (don't pick an option immediately, wait and usually try to time a jump from the ledge which tends to be fairly effective). diddy also doesn't lose any matchups particularly hard, though he's generally seen to lose a few (:4megaman::4olimar: are -1, :4mario::4fox::rosalina: typically considered on the losing side of even). diddy is definitely super good, but i think he has enough weaknesses that the other three of the clear top 4 outshine him.

i think :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4sheik: are in a class of characters that loses either no matchups or at most loses one matchup slightly. :4bayonetta: and :4cloud2: in particular have absurdly dominant matchup spreads against the cast as a whole, routinely decimating mid tiers and even some high tiers that other top tiers might have more even contests with. from a matchup standpoint, i find it impossible to get i think diddy is really really solid, but i think these two oppress other characters far more significantly in the way we'd consider how traditional top tiers interact with most of the cast. those two characters have also been by far the most misplayed by their playerbase for a very long time (not coincidental considering they are half as old), and only in recent months have really begun to develop to the levels of long-time top tiers. it's often very obvious that bayo and cloud players try to stick to their stupid flowchart and don't learn how to play matchups or play safe, even at top level. imo salem and leo are the primary players pushing to break that trend, and we are seeing the fruits of their efforts in their gameplay and results. when these guys play well, they make bayo and cloud look oppressive, generally only tested (and potentially defeated) in the certain even mus these characters possess.

although it might be argued that bayo doesn't have the overall caliber of results yet, personally i don't care and i'm also positive that the character's capabilities will be displayed more in time. plus, 4th/4th/2nd at this year's super majors don't scream lacking results to me, and bayo consistently performs well in the hands of various players in many regions and at majors. there are two low top 10/top 15 bayo mains (salem and zack), and multiple other bayos that would be ranked in the 20-50 range such as 9b, ikep, jk, and tyroy. cloud has 3 character mains in the top 10 players in the world currently (mkleo/komo/tweek) as well as a secondary (mr.r), and is consistently seen in top 8s if not higher at virtually every significant event. sheik has 1 player in the top 6 and another in the top 15, with big results at many events. zero is the best player in the world and wins many of the events he enters, yes, but that doesn't make his character the best in the game, just like ally's success doesn't make mario top 5 and nairo's success doesn't make zss top 5. zero is what has stopped these characters from winning majors generally, which is really more of a testament to his own skill and knowledge than anything else.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
?

Kirby has worse airspeed, yet Zage and I agree the Pac Man/Kirby MU is roughly even.
Well I should of put it there but if you have a great projectile it will make it easier for you. If Kirby gets Copy Abillty then its Even or Kirbys Favor but otherwise Pac wins. Zage might think that because of SmashGOD. Sinji has a winning record vs MikeKirby

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Well I should of put it there but if you have a great projectile it will make it easier for you. If Kirby gets Copy Abillty then its Even or Kirbys Favor but otherwise Pac wins. Zage might think that because of SmashGOD. Sinji has a winning record vs MikeKirby
Okay, that's fair. FWIW, Zage has also played Mike, so I think that's mostly where that opinion comes from.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Even though we're a bit pass this, Cloud and Ike's jabs are about even. Cloud whiffing jab 3 is much safer, it can crossup, and the way it shifts his hurt box makes him much less vulnerable to dtilts and such. It also links more reliably. Its better endlag allows Cloud to transition into advantage, while Ike usually just resets to neutral .

Ike's is a better poke since he can cancel it much earlier which allows grab mixups, and it deals more damage. Jab 3 though can be punished with more than just shield grab (smashes and such).

Tbh I'd rather have Cloud's jab on Ike and Ike's jab on Cloud.

Last edited:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.

They struggle with projectiles, along with some other characters like :4sonic:
Just going down the list of characters mentioned and giving some brief thoughts.

Duck Hunt has already been discussed and I agree that Marth and Lucina win.

Villager is fairly even imo. They work at the same general range but Villager has some ledge trapping issues. If I had to give an edge, it'd be just a slight one to Marth.

Toon Link is annoying but it's pretty even as well. Just kind of long and drawn out. Catching bombs is a good plan, as well as staying just close enough that Boomerang becomes a risky option.

WFT's neutral is very much lacking against Marth so she hangs around the ledge, but so long as Marth isn't trying to chase her off stage then you can ledge trap her and react to her options. Marth wins.

Pac-Man can rack up damage, but he sucks at killing and having even the slightest bit of knowledge on what his kill options are and how to DI them really exacerbates those issues, but that isn't really a Marth specific thing. Pac-Man can get all the damage he wants but it doesn't really matter if he doesn't get the kill, which Marth does not struggle with. Simply winning the battle of attrition consistently is enough to push the match up into Marth's (and many other characters tbh) favor.

Robin was slightly discussed and I agree that it's just slightly in Marth's advantage.

Olimar is one I need more data on and practice in, I don't have good Olimar near me and the few times I've been able to fight Olimar it's been with Falcon. On paper it seems like it could be really annoying though.

Lucas loses to Marth pretty cleanly. Not nearly as bad as Ness, but it's not a good match up at all.

Mega Man can have some blind spot issues that Marth fair is good at exploiting and he's at the perfect fall speed for some of Marth's combos to link better (Leo Blade). I believe it's slight advantage Marth.

Marth beats ROB. Gyro is pretty easy to work around due having a sword but like with most characters, if you don't know how to use Gyro against ROB then you might be finding yourself a little flustered.

DK either gets bodied or he gets that one neutral win that kills you and takes the momentum of the game with him.

Sonic is even, it's just incredibly boring. It's just camping, never actually approaching on either side, so you kinda just have to wait until one player does and try to react to it so you can punish it, and then the person with the percent lead commits to the role of never approaching. It's not a bad match up in terms of difficulty but it's one I'd much rather go Falcon or Cloud in just so something will actually happen.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
i think that :4diddy: is slightly overrated by most of the smash 4 community, primarily because people don't really understand the character's weaknesses and kind of just see zero winning with the character. diddy kong is very, very good, but is also very hard to be consistent with and win tournaments. the main thing that is overrated about diddy is his safety. forward air isn't safe if you run up and block it. down tilt can be punished oos if you know what your options are and time them properly (it's -9 on block), though it can be tougher to punish on crossup, as well as if well-spaced on the front of shield depending on the character. banana->dtilt pressure and banana->grab are actually pretty punishable if you respond properly, which means you have to understand the rps situation banana creates when it hits your shield. blank made a really good video that explains some of these concepts very effectively. there's a reason zero utilizes a lot of movement and doesn't always throw out too many buttons - it's not necessarily safe to do so. other weaknesses of diddy are pretty well-known, like the fact that he is outrewarded by most good characters and can be exploited pretty hard in disadvantage stage, particularly offstage. it's not that he gets gimped all the time, but diddy has to do a lot of work to bring matches back and doesn't appreciate the fact that he will sometimes just die at 0 offstage.

the reason diddy's neutral is really good pretty much has to do with the looming threat of banana and strength of diddy's toolkit in keeping opponents out. banana gives you the ability to apply pressure without really committing to anything, which is insanely good, and diddy's movement is super solid. his short frame makes it all the more agitating to hit diddy and fight against him. certain characters just can't compete with a diddy that isn't throwing out many unsafe options, creating certain lopsided matchups. diddy's ledge trapping is also top notch, though there's counterplay that people are being to exploit at top level (don't pick an option immediately, wait and usually try to time a jump from the ledge which tends to be fairly effective). diddy also doesn't lose any matchups particularly hard, though he's generally seen to lose a few (:4megaman::4olimar: are -1, :4mario::4fox::rosalina: typically considered on the losing side of even). diddy is definitely super good, but i think he has enough weaknesses that the other three of the clear top 4 outshine him.

i think :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4sheik: are in a class of characters that loses either no matchups or at most loses one matchup slightly. :4bayonetta: and :4cloud2: in particular have absurdly dominant matchup spreads against the cast as a whole, routinely decimating mid tiers and even some high tiers that other top tiers might have more even contests with. from a matchup standpoint, i find it impossible to get i think diddy is really really solid, but i think these two oppress other characters far more significantly in the way we'd consider how traditional top tiers interact with most of the cast. those two characters have also been by far the most misplayed by their playerbase for a very long time (not coincidental considering they are half as old), and only in recent months have really begun to develop to the levels of long-time top tiers. it's often very obvious that bayo and cloud players try to stick to their stupid flowchart and don't learn how to play matchups or play safe, even at top level. imo salem and leo are the primary players pushing to break that trend, and we are seeing the fruits of their efforts in their gameplay and results. when these guys play well, they make bayo and cloud look oppressive, generally only tested (and potentially defeated) in the certain even mus these characters possess.

although it might be argued that bayo doesn't have the overall caliber of results yet, personally i don't care and i'm also positive that the character's capabilities will be displayed more in time. plus, 4th/4th/2nd at this year's super majors don't scream lacking results to me, and bayo consistently performs well in the hands of various players in many regions and at majors. there are two low top 10/top 15 bayo mains (salem and zack), and multiple other bayos that would be ranked in the 20-50 range such as 9b, ikep, jk, and tyroy. cloud has 3 character mains in the top 10 players in the world currently (mkleo/komo/tweek) as well as a secondary (mr.r), and is consistently seen in top 8s if not higher at virtually every significant event. sheik has 1 player in the top 6 and another in the top 15, with big results at many events. zero is the best player in the world and wins many of the events he enters, yes, but that doesn't make his character the best in the game, just like ally's success doesn't make mario top 5 and nairo's success doesn't make zss top 5. zero is what has stopped these characters from winning majors generally, which is really more of a testament to his own skill and knowledge than anything else.
That video was pretty helpful, thanks for linking it.

However I still don't buy Cloud being as oppressive and dominant as described, because every relevant Cloud has at least 1-2 secondaries that are used semi-regularly in tournament. Otherwise, what's the thought process behind "damn im down a game, i should switch to a lower tier character"?

Even though we're a bit pass this, Cloud and Ike's jabs are about even. Cloud whiffing jab 3 is much safer, it can crossup, and the way it shifts his hurt box makes him much less vulnerable to dtilts and such. It also links more reliably. Its better endlag allows Cloud to transition into advantage, while Ike usually just resets to neutral .

Ike's is a better poke since he can cancel it much earlier which allows grab mixups, and it deals more damage. Jab 3 though can be punished with more than just shield grab (smashes and such).

Tbh I'd rather have Cloud's jab on Ike and Ike's jab on Cloud.
Ike's jab 3 only has 1 frame more endlag than Cloud's, honestly Ike's jab is just straight up better across the board since you can actually box with characters at close range because of the much much lower FAF on jab 1. I mean yeah I guess Cloud has a tiny bit safer whiffed jab 3 but you shouldn't be mashing jab to begin with if you know its going whiff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom