• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Dabuz and Mr. R have tried to use Bayo and mostly fail to achieve the projected success. Have to give that one a negatory, captain.

Edit: Why have you not spoken about the MK matchup that most Rosas see as 6:4 at best. Why not speak about Marth, Mewtwo, ZSS, or any of the other characters Rosa seems to have trouble with? The other top ~4 characters don't have any matchups as bad as MK Rosa. Nor do they seem to have trouble in as many as she does.

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Dabuz and Mr. R have tried to use Bayo and mostly fail to achieve the projected success. Have to give that one a negatory, captain.
Neither Dabuz nor Mr. R have put even a fraction of the time into learning Bayo that they have into their mains.

Having said that, just because I think Bayo is the best character in the game doesn't mean I think she will be the best possible character for every player. Some characters click better for certain people than others.

But I do think there's a strong possibility that at least some of the current top Smash 4 players could achieve better results than ever if they put as much time into Bayo as they have for their current mains.

Bottom line, this is all guesswork to a certain extent. It's just my opinion that, based on the attributes Bayo possesses, if every character could be played as well as they could realistically be played Bayo would be the best character in the game.

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Also add Larry Lurr (Mexico Saga), Kirihara (FPS2), and Pink Fresh (KTAR Saga).
Mexico Saga wasn't a major. It was basically just SoCal plus Leo and Hyuga.

The KTAR that Pink Fresh won had a handful of top players, but the vast majority of the top talent wasn't there. Again, this was more of a SoCal tournament with a few other notables like Mr. R and Marss.

Kirihara's win at FPS2 was much closer to being legit, because it had an abundance of the world's best talent there. Even if it doesn't count as winning a major, that one was just as impressive.

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Need I also mention it being the only time he's ever beaten ZeRo in tournament?
I'm not sure what your point is? Yes, he did beat ZeRo, but if you look at the attendance for that tournament it was basically SoCal plus Leo and Hyuga. It was definitely a very nice win, but it was way too thin to be considered a true major.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm not sure what your point is? Yes, he did beat ZeRo, but if you look at the attendance for that tournament it was basically SoCal plus Leo and Hyuga. It was definitely a very nice win, but it was way too thin to be considered a true major.
to be fair SoCal is the best region in the U.S.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Well depends on what you mean by best region. Socal right now has the best exposure and is close to many strong regions e.g japan mexico and west coast. Tristate probably has the best top 10 still.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a hard time considering what exactly is a major. Inherently speaking, it sounds subjective.
I don't believe there's a technical definition for it, but in practice a major is a tournament in which the *majority* of the best players are in attendance. Civil War was an extreme case, because 47 of the top 50 PGR were in attendance. A tournament doesn't need quite that many to qualify as a major, but it needs to have a lot of them.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'd say the top 5 regions are Kanto, Kansai, Tristate, SoCal, & Midwest

Abadango :4mewtwo::4metaknight::rosalina:
KEN :4sonic:
Kameme :4megaman::4sheik:
tsu :4lucario:
Kirihara :rosalina:
T :4link:
Choco :4zss:
Raito :4duckhunt:
Brood :4duckhunt:
Kisha :4bowser::4megaman:
Nietono :4sheik:
hayato. :4tlink:

VoiD :4sheik:
Larry Lurr :4fox:
Tyrant :4metaknight:
Zenyou :4mario:
Elegant :4luigi:
Falln :rosalina:
Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
Nicko :4shulk:
Ac :4metaknight::4falco::4marth:
Aarvark :4villager:
K9sbruce :4diddy::4sheik:
Charliedaking :4fox:

Nairo :4zss::4bowser::4lucina:
Dabuz :rosalina::4olimar:
ANTi :4mario::4cloud2:
Tweek :4cloud2:
6WX :4sonic:
Mr. E :4marth:
Shoyo James :4luigi::4diddy:
DKwill :4dk:
False :4marth::4sheik:
John Numbers :4wiifit::4sheik:
Vinnie :4sheik:

komorikiri :4cloud2::4sonic:
Ranai :4villager:
HIKARU :4dk:
9B :4bayonetta:
ikep :4bayonetta:
Edge :4diddy:
You3 :4duckhunt:
Ri-ma :4tlink:
Kie :4peach:

ZeRo :4diddy:
Ally :4mario:
Zinoto :4diddy:
Ned :4cloud2:
Ryuga :4corrinf:
Tyroy :4bayonetta:
DarkShad :4ryu:
JJROCKETS :4diddy:
Rayquaza07 :rosalina:

Tristate is really top heavy. The thing that really defines a region imo is how deep the skill pool goes and places like Kanto and SoCal have that down on lock better than anybody else. Midwest has been getting way up there, but the only big new breakout from tristate I can think of recently is James.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Let's talk about Pikachu (:4pikachu:) for a bit. Pikachu is a character who could be, in theory, #13 or so, but his results have been somewhat lacking. Is Pikachu secretly this "top of high tier" character with a lot of potential, or is Pikachu a bit worse than many believe?

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Let's talk about Pikachu (:4pikachu:) for a bit. Pikachu is a character who could be, in theory, #13 or so, but his results have been somewhat lacking. Is Pikachu secretly this "top of high tier" character with a lot of potential, or is Pikachu a bit worse than many believe?
I assume this came into fruition because of CEO Dreamland?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

Tristate is really top heavy. The thing that really defines a region imo is how deep the skill pool goes and places like Kanto and SoCal have that down on lock better than anybody else. Midwest has been getting way up there, but the only big new breakout from tristate I can think of recently is James.
Tweek, False, NAKAT, and some other Leap of Faith members are gonna be Midwest soon, but I still think the top 5 won't change much from that. Also a bit nitpicky but you probably meant Corrin or Marth instead of Sheik for John Numbers' secondary.

I mean ESAM just top 8'd a major and Rideae got top 32 beating saj and Fatality as well. It's pretty clear that lack of top level rep + ESAM inconsistently is what has been holding Pikachu back results-wise.

Like he loses to :4mario::4ness::4gaw::4cloud2::4lucario::4fox::4lucas::rosalina::4mewtwo: at the very worst (and imo it's only Mario, Ness, G&W, M2, Rosa for his bad matchups) which would make him like bottom of high tier at worst. Not losing to :4bayonetta::4sheik::4diddy: is a really good trait to have. He does have the Sheik problem of hating rage which can also make Bowser/DK/Zard annoying, but it should be clear that Pika's really good.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Is Florida/Florida and the neighboring states a region? Because that could be a strong contender for sixth best region (Fatality, Scatt, Esam, Samsora, Day, m2k, Salem, Cashmere)

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
. Socal right now has the best exposure and is close to many strong regions e.g japan mexico and west coast.
Didnt know the west coast was close to the west coast and the pacific ocean didnt exist

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I assume this came into fruition because of CEO Dreamland?
A reasonable assumption, but no, the reason I bring it up is that somone put Pikachu at #23 in their tier list, when Pikachu could be like #13. This makes Pikachu a character worth discussing.

Personally, I think Pikachu is somewhere around #13-15, though one could easily make the case that characters like Villager and Toon Link also have breakout performances from time to time.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
ANTi posted his top 10 players on Twitter earlier.

1st: ZeRo :4diddy: :4lucina:
2nd: Dabuz :rosalina:
3rd: Nairo :4zss: and others
4th: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth: :substitute:
5th: Mr. R :4sheik: :4cloud2:
6th: Ally :4mario:
7th: Abadango :4mewtwo:
8th: Komorikiri :4cloud2:
9th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2:
10th: Marss :4zss:

His actual twitter post was somewhat different (Nairo and Dabuz were swapped, Larry/VoiD tied over Marss) but in several comments he said he would put Dabuz above Nairo and when asked about Marss he said he'd put him above Larry/VoiD. He also fully acknowledges he's not top 10 this season.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935

Assuming you're also counting non-PGR players, couldn't you also add Raptor to Tristate?

Rizen

Smash Legend

Midwest has been getting way up there, but the only big new breakout from tristate I can think of recently is James.
What geographic size is the midwest? I know Ally's from Canada and ZeRo's in Chicago IL. This area sounds huge.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Ally lives in Michigan for half of the year.

There's a slightly different grouping of states that's used for the geographical midwest, but I would argue that the active Smash scene's with traveling players that make up the midwest is...

Michigan
Illinois
Minnesota
Ohio
Wisconsin
Indiana
Kentucky
Missouri
Iowa
Someone correct me if I missed something, I'm mainly going off of states that have sent people to Midwest Mayhem's (in Illinois).

Canada is generally considered a seperate region

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
FL and GA are pretty separate Smash regions (even FL itself has pretty isolated sub regions). GA is a fairly strong region with some of the best players of many non top tier characters. Louisiana is too far from either FL or GA to be grouped with them imo.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Yeah as far as the South East goes Florida is pretty much it's own thing and then everyone else is separate with some mingling here and there.

As far as Smash regions go in the US the major ones would be SoCal, NorCal, Midwest, Tristate, MDVA, Florida and Texas. Not saying you got nothing going on anywhere else but these areas see the most activity.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

There's a slightly different grouping of states that's used for the geographical midwest, but I would argue that the active Smash scene's with traveling players that make up the midwest is...

Michigan
Illinois
Minnesota
Ohio
Wisconsin
Indiana
Kentucky
Missouri
Iowa
Someone correct me if I missed something, I'm mainly going off of states that have sent people to Midwest Mayhem's (in Illinois).

You forgot Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas albeit less so.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935

Michigan
Illinois
Minnesota
Ohio
Wisconsin
Indiana
Kentucky
Missouri
Iowa

Geographically speaking, Kentucky is not considered a Midwestern state.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
BTW ANTI recently tweeted hus own personal list of the current top 10 Smash 4 players currently taking in results and overall skill.

He made several changes so I will just put the final list

1. ZeRo
2. Dabuz
3. Nario
4. MKLeo
5. Mr.R
6. Ally
7. Abadango
8. Komokiri
9. Captian Zack
10. Marss

Note. Larry Lurr and Void where his other potential choices for #10. But ANTi decided to go with Marss at the end

So what does anyone think of ANTI'S picks?

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Solid list for the most part, but personally I wouldn't place Abadango in top 10 given his somewhat lackluster placings as of lately. Maybe VoiD as 10th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom