• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
If VoiD doesn't have to fight Dabuz he has a decent chance of taking the whole thing.
Would be nice to see. ZeRo vs Dabuz is probably the decider for the rest of the tournament, though.
Honestly, I would say the same about Elegant. Dabuz's placestyle being so defensive and campy shut down Elegant so badly when they played. Rosa is arguably Luigi's worst top tier MU along with Mewtwo.
Idk how good or bad Elegant does vs Sonic. He also has a rough time with Mario,still. Elegsnt did have the best showing today overall. Dabuz to me seems like his biggest obstacle.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Honestly, I would say the same about Elegant. Dabuz's placestyle being so defensive and campy shut down Elegant so badly when they played. Rosa is arguably Luigi's worst top tier MU along with Mewtwo.
Idk how good or bad Elegant does vs Sonic. He also has a rough time with Mario,still. Elegsnt did have the best showing today overall. Dabuz to me seems like his biggest obstacle.
Elegant was adapting better as the set went on, but Rosalina's tools are just really overwhelming for Luigi.

As for Sonic, Elegant has beaten Komo's Sonic before, but I don't think he's beaten KEN yet, he's a Sonic in a league of his own.

Basically this is Elegant's dream bracket, beating KEN, fighting Salem next round, then MK Leo. Then defeat whoever comes from Loser's Finals.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
If watching this championship series has taught me anything...

Its that people who claim more characters = harder to balance need to get the 6-point infractions. Has there ever been a fighting game with such a wide range of characters all capable of beating each other in the right hands?

Also Mewtwo is better than fox and sheik. When was the last time either of those characters did anything to justify being ahead of Rosalina or ZSS. Note I didn't use a question mark there, because it wasn't a question.

D

Deleted member

Also Mewtwo is better than fox and sheik. When was the last time either of those characters did anything to justify being ahead of Rosalina or ZSS.
It's been one of those days, huh?

In match ups, tournament results, abilities, and combos Fox and Sheik do much better in those aspects than Mewtwo. Being ahead of Rosalina and ZSS or any character does not justify the full picture of a character. And Fox and Sheik are ahead Rosalina and ZSS. I think you should do your research, you know Sheik and Fox are better than Mewtwo.

Sorry for getting a bit steamed there... now a flame war is going to start...

( Keep in mind this is my opinion )

Last edited by a moderator:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
It's crazy how Mario struggles so much versus Bayo whereas Luigi can damage and kill her so efficiently.
Elegant is flat out better at the MU, tbh. There's no reason you should be able to camp out Mario and not Luigi. I feel like Elegant's skill is being conflated with the abilities of his character far too often.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
:4charizard:
Looking at :4link:'s placements on the MU chart:

https://i.imgur.com/goREDRa.png ez link

Although he loses to almost every character ranked better than Robin (holy well rounded MUs Batman!), most losses are less than 1 point. It seems weird Sonic ended up his worst MU at -1.5, which I disagree with. Sheik's his worst, Sonic's a disadvantage but not even in Link's top 5 worst, imo. He then beats or goes even with every character starting at Robin going down the list except a slight loss to kirby and Roy, also disagree with. T and Scizor finds these even and Cat says slight advantage for both. None of the wins are very big except Ganon and jiggz, which are still only 1.3. So Link's a character with tools for anything yet undertuned. IMO the spread underrates Link a bit but isn't bad. Accumulating data from many good players is the best way to go about this.

Does anyone doubt jiggz is the worst non-mii character after this, lol?
I looked at this chart and cringed. :4charizard: has almost no winning MUs, most of his MUs are even at best or losing by more than 2 at worst, he's essentially irrelevant outside of super low tiers... though it was said that this chart isn't perfect.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:4charizard: I looked at this chart and cringed. :4charizard: has almost no winning MUs, most of his MUs are even at best or losing by more than 2 at worst, he's essentially irrelevant outside of super low tiers... though it was said that this chart isn't perfect.
I like how :4pikachu: beats the 4 best characters.

Real talk: It's interesting Ness is one of pika's worst MUs. I can see how Ness' tools might screw pika over.

ezlink

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Elegant is flat out better at the MU, tbh. There's no reason you should be able to camp out Mario and not Luigi. I feel like Elegant's skill is being conflated with the abilities of his character far too often.
What do you think Ally is doing wrong in the matchup? Mario's options seem to be nonexistent the minute Bayo starts camping the moving platform, or at least nothing he can do that doesn't put him at risk of getting Witch Time'd or losing a trade and being even further behind in percent or possibly losing a stock.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Also Mewtwo is better than fox and sheik. When was the last time either of those characters did anything to justify being ahead of Rosalina or ZSS. Note I didn't use a question mark there, because it wasn't a question.
I was going to kind of reflexively disagree with you, but after thinking about it, I’ll just partially disagree. I don’t really care that much how a given character is “doing” in this meta versus what they can actually do against any other character. That’s a bit harder to tease out because our top players frequently play sub optimally.

I can’t see Mewtwo, even optimimistically, being a better character than Sheik. Sheik is as close as we have to broken without real, tangible weaknesses and enough meaningful options to gain continual growth.

I think Mewtwo has flown under the radar though. He is absolutely a top tier character with a massive amount of busted stuff packed into a mercifully wonky frame.

As for being better than Fox, ZSS, and Rosa? I don’t know. I generally think of Mewtwo and Fox in the same region in top tier, whatever useless thing that means. Rosa is weird, because if you can bypass Luma as a natural part of your neutral, then you can actually fight her. If not, you get murdered. She’s so polarizing, even to other top tiers. ZSS, I could see a case for, but I’m not going to make it.

It's been one of those days, huh?

In match ups, tournament results, abilities, and combos Fox and Sheik do much better in those aspects than Mewtwo. Being ahead of Rosalina and ZSS or any character does not justify the full picture of a character. And Fox and Sheik are ahead Rosalina and ZSS. I think you should do your research, you know Sheik and Fox are better than Mewtwo.

Sorry for getting a bit steamed there... now a flame war is going to start...
I don’t know how you measure combos as a thing to do better in, but Mewtwo has some of the highest, quickest damage output in the game and has more ways to seal your stock than maybe any other top tier.

I also don’t think it’s a given that Fox, or Rosa, or ZSS is automatically better than Mewtwo. People assumed Bayo was maybe scratching the bottom of top 10 in the first six months post patch before they realized her tools were still borked.

Luigi absolutely does better in the Bayo MU than Mario. Yeah, he is also susceptible to platform camping, but Mario can’t garbage can Bayo’s stellar recovery. He also can’t afford single hit potshots on her, while Luigi’s aerials actually hurt individually. And as good as his combo game is, it’s still not quite Luigi’s level, which is some of the highest damage output in the game outside of Bayo herself.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Many (close to ALL) of Mario's good neutral options are aerial, including tomahawk grab and his fireball coverage, whereas Luigi focuses on ground game with jab, foxtrot, fireball, rolls, dashgrab. Bayo anti-airs very well, thus making it difficult for Mario to approach, but doesn't have ground v ground options that are nearly as potent, which gives Luigi a chance to get in.

Routa

Smash Lord
Add to that Mario's combo game being more of 50/50 while Luigi's damage comes from true combos + he has higher damage output from combos.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yeah, Mewtwo loses to Sheik. I don’t think it’s awful by any means, but the Mewtwo player has to put in a little more effort to win. I think it really comes down to frame data and ledge options.

For instance, Mewtwo has a blind spot on cross ups, and Sheik is made of cross ups. Mewtwo has to go through work to get off the ledge versus Sheik as well.

Let’s be real though, even with Sheik’s overwhelming advantage and ledge state, Mewtwo is a murder machine. It doesn’t take much to even the scorecard.
Exactly, if anything it should be -.4 or -.3, it's no where near as bad as a -.9.
Same with diddy and cloud, they should not be anywhere near a -1.2 or where ever cloud is. Honestly they should be more of a -.8 for diddy and -.6 or 7 for cloud. Mewtwo still gets bopped by them. But from what we've seen over the last few months with Wadi, they can't be anywhere near that bad.
I would complain over bayonetta not being even which it is. But that would bring up torches and pitchforks over my head again

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
I know this topic has been discussed to death and is kind of meme-y at this point, but I have a hard time not thinking that :4mario: is not a top tier when watching him these days. Lack of a consistent kill confirm and trouble getting in in quite a few matchups can make it tough for Mario. Players are getting better at abusing these Mario weaknesses and I don’t think it’s too surprising that Ally’s results have waned from his previous peak performances, as well as Anti relying much more on his other characters.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Anyone else hoping that Salem will try his Greninja if he ends up facing Elegant again. I am no expert on the frog but I think Greninja has the tools do well vs Luigi. Salem's Greninja is solid enough than we won a tournament soloing him.

Shriuken camping can pretty effective vs Luigi and he has the mobility and range to frusturate Luigi well. Only issue is Luigi can potentially combo Gren hard as can gimp him with tornado.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Anyone else hoping that Salem will try his Greninja if he ends up facing Elegant again. I am no expert on the frog but I think Greninja has the tools do well vs Luigi. Salem's Greninja is solid enough than we won a tournament soloing him.

Shriuken camping can pretty effective vs Luigi and he has the mobility and range to frusturate Luigi well. Only issue is Luigi can potentially combo Gren hard as can gimp him with tornado.
Ninja has the tools to do well against almost every character in the game. It's just using those tools well enough to be able to fight them.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I been told everyone that Mario is an illusion. He would drop two tiers without his grab combos.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Many (close to ALL) of Mario's good neutral options are aerial, including tomahawk grab and his fireball coverage, whereas Luigi focuses on ground game with jab, foxtrot, fireball, rolls, dashgrab. Bayo anti-airs very well, thus making it difficult for Mario to approach, but doesn't have ground v ground options that are nearly as potent, which gives Luigi a chance to get in.
The thing is... the issue Ally runs into often is air to air. Because platform camping. And FWIW, Mario's dash speed is flat out better than Luigi's, with the same dash length. So foxtrot is better. Mario has better roll data than Luigi. I will give you fireball and dashgrab, however. Jabs are extremely similar, though.

I'm even rewatching some Elegant vs Salem & Ally vs Salem. It seems like Elegant is way better at making Salem uncomfortable. Maybe because Luigi is floaty enough that he stays near a platform longer?

On top of that, I think people don't see how often Elegant is in the air. I'm seeing a bunch of fair/bair/Nair way more than the grounded options (looking at Elegant vs Salem at Nairo Saga, game 3 BF).

He shield grabs landings and aerials (which Mario can objectively do better). He pokes with aerials... He uses raw utilt to put Salem back in the air. I'm actually not seeing how this is so much better for Luigi. It kind of looks like Mario should be able to do the same things.

I've come to only two solid differences that help Luigi combat Bayo's platform camping better than Mario (the rest of the MU stuff is different, of course). First is fair. It has such low endlag that it's good at applying platform pressure. The second is Luigi's fallspeed. Combined with fair, it means he can mix up the amount of pressure he's putting on shield as well as the timing of it by a fair bit.

And that's a solid difference, but nothing else is keeping Mario as a character from beating Bayo platform camping. Though he should also be able to contest her on the ground better, considering his superior speed. Yet Elegant gets past range/disjoints far easier.

Ah, and he takes less damage from Bayo combos than Ally does. And lastly - I like how Elegant just jumps on to SV platform and shields at times.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Just in case if nobody has seen this thread yet on reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/6y4nu5/comprehensive_matchup_chart_for_all_characters/ this link is linked to a thread that is a "complete" matchup chart for smash 4. While it's certainly not perfect and some characters could easily be overrated or underrated, it does help in giving players a beginning picture of specific matchups. One thing I noticed that is interesting is that Pikachu has a really strong matchup spread, but the character hasn't been particularly strong in the meta for quite some time. On the other hand, you have a character like Ness that seems to be pretty highly rated in tournament results but has a very average matchup spread according to this chart.
It's not bad, thought still need much more research.
Doc is (once again) lacking in the info department, there's only 1 MU chart for him and for some reason he's listed as a slight lost against Dedede.

Highly questionable if I may add considering how much Doc wins neutral over him.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

I think Greninja beats Luigi slightly, but it can go either way. He can zone him out pretty well, escape certain strings with Shadow Sneak and mess with his recovery. It plays out a little like the Mario MU. Luigi still has some deadly combos against Greninja though and 'nado gimps can be really tough to deal with unless you save your double jump due to Hydro Pump's lack of a hitbox. Should be a good match if Salem tries Greninja out.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Luigi's tornado can be a pain to deal with if you go with Hydro Pump, but if you recover with Shadow Sneak instead, you actually stand a good chance of avoiding the cyclone, and possibly kill Luigi if he gets too greedy.

Ironically enough, Greninja can turn the tables with his own Down B if Luigi gets sent offstage. Luigi's recovery moves are slow and telegraphed, thus perfect for the Substitute to get a spike and kill at zero with the downwards version, with a good survival chance if used on a high recovery, or to KO on the sides starting from 40% with the diagonal version if they recover low or if you used the double jump already and thus don't feel confident on making it back.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I been told everyone that Mario is an illusion. He would drop two tiers without his grab combos.
I think most characters would drop tiers by losing their greatest strength. I know people keep saying Mario isn't top tier but who can you realistically place above him after Bayo, Diddy,Sheik, Rosa, Cloud, Sonic. Fox, ZSS? Probably could throw M2 as well but after that who?

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
corrin, though i'd put him and mario at the top of high tier instead of actual top tier

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Greninha is
I think most characters would drop tiers by losing their greatest strength. I know people keep saying Mario isn't top tier but who can you realistically place above him after Bayo, Diddy,Sheik, Rosa, Cloud, Sonic. Fox, ZSS? Probably could throw M2 as well but after that who?
His meta is ONE THING.

Just so happens that one thing matters a lot.

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
Personally I have Marcina and M2 slightly above him with Corrin either tied with Mario or slightly below. Honestly to me it doesn’t matter so much where he’s located in relation to these other characters, I just think he should be grouped in with these characters at the top of high tier as opposed to with the top tiers

blackghost

Smash Champion
I think he means like a MVC character. Which is what she is
i'm assuming you havent played much marvel becuase that's just not true. she's way too fair to be a marvel character. snake,mk, and ic in brawl are all marvel characters elite marvel characters dont have holes at any range.

any news on when the tier list will be updated?

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Looking at :4link:'s placements on the MU chart:

https://i.imgur.com/goREDRa.png ez link

Although he loses to almost every character ranked better than Robin (holy well rounded MUs Batman!), most losses are less than 1 point. It seems weird Sonic ended up his worst MU at -1.5, which I disagree with. Sheik's his worst, Sonic's a disadvantage but not even in Link's top 5 worst, imo. He then beats or goes even with every character starting at Robin going down the list except a slight loss to kirby and Roy, also disagree with. T and Scizor finds these even and Cat says slight advantage for both. None of the wins are very big except Ganon and jiggz, which are still only 1.3. So Link's a character with tools for anything yet undertuned. IMO the spread underrates Link a bit but isn't bad. Accumulating data from many good players is the best way to go about this.

Does anyone doubt jiggz is the worst non-mii character after this, lol?
This is what I wish the BR would make. It's 50x more interesting and informative.

D

Deleted member

I don’t know how you measure combos as a thing to do better in, but Mewtwo has some of the highest, quickest damage output in the game and has more ways to seal your stock than maybe any other top tier.

I also don’t think it’s a given that Fox, or Rosa, or ZSS is automatically better than Mewtwo. People assumed Bayo was maybe scratching the bottom of top 10 in the first six months post patch before they realized her tools were still borked.
Keep in mind that I am not a Smash Bros expert. I never said Mewtwo was automatically below ZSS and Rosalina, unless you are referring to something else. Mewtwo does have a lot of combo potential like his forward air and his neutral - special. Fox's forward air - footstool zero to death though. I think I said "combos" and I see Sheik being utilized more than Mewtwo, but you could be right. Well stated, wise sir. I do think Luigi does better in the Bayonetta MU than Mario.

Last edited by a moderator:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
This is what I wish the BR would make. It's 50x more interesting and informative.
And how would you do that? Get one top player of every character together and have them make MU charts? Then you run into the problem of that being one player's opinion for each characters. You could try and get multiple players, but that gets logistically much harder for each one. Then there's MUs being much harder to define than tier positions, most MU charts tending to screw low tiers, and people taking the "official" MUs as fact. There's a reason Melee never had an official MU chart, with the only unofficial one being from 2010.

This one only came as close as it was because it combined many, many, top player MU charts and even then, any given person will find a bunch of things wrong with it.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Elegant... is actually busted. Not Luigi, Elegant. Actually crazy.

Leo tweeted yesterday that he knew Elegant didn't get lucky at GTX, and that he thinks he's top 10 in the world. I don't know if I can disagree.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
The problem is this is a massive undertaking and there are some characters we actually do not have any representatives for, so we’d have to coordinate with many other outside sources.

I’d still be willing to put in the work to do it, it’s just a matter of coordinating with everyone else and if they are willing to perform such a task.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Damn...I actually called the ideal bracket for Elegant but he couldn't take the set from Salem this time :( otherwise we might actually have had a Luigi in Grand Finals again

MK Leo is looking poised to win this championship

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom