• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
https://smash.gg/tournament/tgl-pg-present-too-hot-to-handle/events/wii-u-singles/brackets/165933
Too Hot To Handle (208 entrants) (Florida)
1. Manny :4sonic: [Dabuz]
2. Dabuz :rosalina: [Manny x2]
3. ESAM :4pikachu:,, :4samus: [Dabuz, Manny]
4. Captain Zack :4bayonetta:,, :4peach: [ESAM x2]
5. Salem :4bayonetta: [dyr, ESAM]
5. dyr :4diddy: [Manny, Captain Zack]
7. Cashmere :4falcon: [Dabuz, Salem]
7. MattyG :4cloud: [Dabuz, Captain Zack]
9. Mr. Riddle :4zss:, :4bowser: [Samsora, MattyG]
9. Mr. E :4lucina: [dyr, Captain Zack]
9. Rich Brown :4mewtwo: [ESAM, Salem]
9. Samsora :4peach: [Manny, Cashmere]
13. MVD :4diddy: [MattyG, Cashmere]
13. RiotLettuce :4bayonetta: [8BitMan, Rich Brown]
13. Blank :4sheik: [Salem, Mr. E]
13. 8BitMan :4rob:, :4diddy: [Manny, Mr. Riddle]
MattyG took a game off of Mr. Riddle with :4zss:.

Clutch City Clash 2 (203 EntrantS) (Texas)

1st: Zero :4diddy:
2nd: JK :4bayonetta2:
3rd: Elegant :4luigi:
4th: Trela :4ryu:
5th: Karna :4sheik:
5th: Megafox :4fox:
7th: Nicko :4shulk:
7th: Javi :4sheik:
9th: Konga :4dk:
9th: Culix :4metaknight:
9th: Ned :4cloud2:
9th: Shadow_PR :4bayonetta2:
13th: Jerma :4robinf:
13th: Twi :4peach:
13th: Mekos :4lucas:
13th: L.U.C.Y. :4tlink:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
So some Canada Cup analysis:

Lima vs Deathorse:
Lima as a personality is cocky as hell, and it’s fun to watch. Lima as a player likes to press buttons, and especially likes to Witch Time pre-emptively when he even feels the tiniest bit of pressure. This later causes him to lose the tourney, but not this set against Deathorse.

Deathorse is a competent Mewtwo, and can play a good conversion and Shadow Ball game. He definitely lacks in his anticipation skills though, and dropped key punishes in his set versus Mistake because he was going for what he wanted, rather than what was presented. I’m thinking of missing Usmash opportunities and going for Nair. He doesn’t seem to really take advantage of Mewtwo’s spacing versus Bayo, and this clearly played into his missed opportunities. Fortunately, his Shadow Ball game versus a shaken Mistake was on point.

As for the match itself: Deathorse dropped two games before remembering that Mewtwo needs to rely on Shadow Ball threats in the Bayo MU. He also missed multiple SDI attempts on Witch Twist, and seemed like he honestly was trying to contest Witch Twist with Nair. In fact, more than a few times he used Nair as an approach tool, and liberally at that.

Lima got to press as many buttons as he wanted because Deathorse wasn’t mixing up his game at all, and basically ran into things. You know you are getting predictable if you get Witch Timed about half a dozen times. But more than that, Lima got to press buttons, and Deathorse’s defense was just not there. That coupled with some seriously missed punish opportunities, and lack of Shadow Ball as a presence, kept Deathorse out of the rest of the tourney.

Lima vs Leo:
Remember when I said Lima likes to press buttons? Yeah, this comes back to bite him in this set.

One of the biggest differences between top level play and everything else, and an under appreciated skill in general, is timing. Mixing up your timing for attacks is key, especially against characters with counters. One of the reasons Leo is good is that his slight delays to mix up opponents anticipation are an ever present reality.

Lima got to steam roll Leo the first game before Leo seemed to pick up that Lima goes autopilot on his Witch Time timings. He has some bad habits, basically. Watch Lima get slowly taken apart by a Marth that baited out his Witch Times, challenged his recoveries, and had some halfway decent SDI.

One major problem Lima had was an over reliance on Witch Time in games 2-4 (and the tourney in general) that he didn’t really adjust to, and Leo took advantage of. He tried to cover his landings, punish Leo swinging, and got predictable. But Leo mixed up his timing enough that you could see Lima throwing out Witch Time and generally getting punished for it.

He also got caught multiple times on the ledge, which isn’t surprising, given that Marth, in general, is built for ledge traps. Getting off the ledge against Marth, even as Bayo, is not particularly easy, and it was just another key thing that Lima fell a bit short on.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Leo is not "halfway decent" at sdi. The guy is a monster at it, at navigating her giant hitboxes, and at the matchup in general.

Leo's record, knowledge, reactions, and play are actually nuts and anyone who struggles with the matchup needs to study his vods.

He uses Corrin up through Smash Con, when he beats both JK and Salem, and SCR Saga, beating Zack, but then he switches to Marth down 2-1 to Mistake and takes the set. Since then, he's beaten JK and Salem with Marth, and now Lima at Canada Cup.

Leo is the Bayo Slayer.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Forgot about this thread. Odyssey has taken over my life (omfg this game is so good!).

Leo is the Bayo Slayer.
I mean... possibly? Most likely not. People just seem to get shocked at players beating Bayonetta IMO.

I know I don't need to state old hat, but quite simply, she is just beatable. All you need is the right mindset and, yes, "halfway decent" knowledge on what way to DI (yes, this is as important as SDI; people gloss over this too much. It's not all about SDI) and SDI her stuff and you're set. Just not many top players do all of this at once. We'll see people like Zinoto play the correct way vs Bayonetta (no overcomitting, controlling the neutral, applying safe pressure) the whole set and then go for one strange option that gets him killed or punished hard. Or we will see aggressive type players not knowing when their combos become strings, and overcommit, only to get Witch Time'd. Leo very rarely lets one of the essentials slip in this MU. That's just the general makings of a player being good at a MU.

Dabuz is another example of a player who does well vs Bayonetta in general. I think it's mostly due to his playstyle of being a patient wall, baiting you with safe neutral options and then striking. But even then he has the general idea. He knows what ways to DI and SDI, and doesn't overcommit when it's not ideal. He puts Bayonetta into situations where he's the one in control; safe control. While she's in the air, if he knows his next Up Air won't be true, he'll wait, and punish the Bayonetta's defensive option. He also rarely just runs up and grabs Bayonetta after she lands with heavy landing lag (though in some cases, it's wise to anyway with Rosalina so he gets let off with this simply due to the nature of his character). People in general also do this way too much. If you see Bayonetta has landed, if you don't get much off of a grab, then don't actually go for one. Doesn't matter if it's just a simple Smash attack; get that stage control with more damage instead - every % counts vs her. This is why Dabuz lets his Up Smash fly in this MU.

---

As an aside, to be honest, I think the idea of Bayonetta beating Rosalina is an outdated one; I'd personally call it at least even these days. As a player of both characters, I personally struggle vs Rosalina as Bayonetta, and less so the other way around. The more aggro the Rosalina, the easier it becomes for the Bayonetta from my experience. A solid walling/defensive Rosalina is extremely hard for Bayonetta to approach safely without being punished for it. Bayonetta needs to outplay Rosalina more than the other way around in this MU for her to win; that or just get some jank KO when the Rosalina incorrectly DI's, but that's just Bayonetta in general.

But even then the latter point is actually, strangely hard to do on Rosalina in normal circumstances. Luma being there makes it very hard to reliably combo Rosalina. If Bayonetta hits Luma as well as Rosalina, Bayonetta will most times hit Luma before Rosalina, extending her moves hitlag and giving Rosalina more time to escape things. This is especially notable when Bayonetta tries to do Twist 1 into ABK. The ABK will almost always hit Luma first after the Twist 1, and this gives Rosalina more time to get away; she is often time simply too far out for Bayonetta to hit her after hitting Luma, but even then if she isn't she can then airdodge.

That said, that is more referring to top level play. At lower levels of play the general ease of playing Bayonetta over Rosalina will often give the Bayonetta player the advantage, but in theory, Rosalina has still enough in her kit to stop the MU spiralling out of control. The only outright bad area of the MU can be offstage, but that's Rosalina in general. At least she's blessed with good distance and angles on her Up B so she can often times still attempt to make it back if she doesn't get gimped.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
In my opinion, nobody but Dabuz can truly be called a Bayo slayer - he's dropped one set to her since she came out. Even Leo doesn't have that good of a record.

D

Deleted member

This tier list is the best tier of the three tier lists in Smash 4.

Negatives:

:4charizard::4feroy::4kirby::4samus::4drmario:are not low tier characters. Lower mid tier at best in my opinion.

:4bowserjr: should be in F tier.

:4robinm:is way too low. Underrated character.

:4falcon:should be higher.

Positives:

:4bayonetta:is where she belongs.

:4marth:is top tier. Probably the best change in the Smash 4 Tier List history.

:4ness:is no longer high tier. Did not think he would belong there.

:4link:is in mid tier, where he belonged since Smash 4's release.

:4cloud2:is still S tier.

Overall, really good tier list!

Last edited by a moderator:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This tier list is the best tier of the three tier lists in Smash 4.

Negatives:

:4charizard::4feroy::4kirby::4samus::4drmario:are not low tier characters. Lower mid tier at best in my opinion.

:4bowserjr: should be in F tier.

:4robinm:is way too low. Underrated character.

:4falcon:should be higher.

Positives:

:4bayonetta:is where she belongs.

:4marth:is top tier. Probably the best change in the Smash 4 Tier List history.

:4ness:is no longer high tier. Did not think he would belong there.

:4link:is in mid tier, where he belonged since Smash 4's release.

:4cloud2:is still S tier.

Overall, really good tier list!
For one, the list is quite dated. Since it was released a lot of characters have either improved or gotten worse, both Matchup and Results wise.

That being said, Doctor Mario DOES deserve that Bottom 10 status.
:196:

D

Deleted member

This is my tier list ( so far ). I'd like to hear all of your opinions! By the way, this is my opinion so you should not get too mad at me.

Top ( S , A ) High ( B ) Mid ( C , D ) and Low ( E , F )

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Posting personal Tier Lists in the thread is generally disallowed since the topics usually get too heated, or everyone posts their own list and the thread gets messy.

That being said, some of your placements make me raise a brow, the one that struck me the most was Robin's. Care to explain why you think they belong that high?

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
This is my tier list ( so far ). I'd like to hear all of your opinions! By the way, this is my opinion so you should not get too mad at me.

Rosalina outside the top 5 and below Marcina, Sonic and ZSS? Got any reasoning?
Or for Villager being that high when he's done nothing for months, especially above characters who have been doing really well recently, like Corrin and Peach?
I agree to Doc being generally underrated, but why's Samus below him? Actually, why is Samus that low?

I don't think this list is too bad, those are really the big things that stuck out to me.

Can we talk about :4littlemac:? I can never tell if he's absolutely horrible or actually pretty decent.

EDIT: Team Japan has been funded for MKLeo Saga this saturday. As a reminder, it's T :4link:, KEN :4sonic:, Kirihara :rosalina:, Raito :4duckhunt:, Kameme :4megaman: :4sheik:, HIKARU :4dk:, Tsu- :4lucario:, and Shuton :4olimar:.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Or for Villager being that high when he's done nothing for months,
Chalk that up to Ranai being much busier with real world stuff (same with 9B; also the reason they're not part of Team Japan). Is that really such a bad thing?

Plus he's not the only Villager out there.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Or for Villager being that high when he's done nothing for months, especially above characters who have been doing really well recently, like Corrin and Peach?
I agree to Doc being generally underrated, but why's Samus below him? Actually, why is Samus that low?

I don't think this list is too bad, those are really the big things that stuck out to me.

Can we talk about :4littlemac:? I can never tell if he's absolutely horrible or actually pretty decent.

EDIT: Team Japan has been funded for MKLeo Saga this saturday. As a reminder, it's T :4link:, KEN :4sonic:, Kirihara :rosalina:, Raito :4duckhunt:, Kameme :4megaman: :4sheik:, HIKARU :4dk:, Tsu- :4lucario:, and Shuton :4olimar:.
And with team Japan funded MKLeo Saga is now S+ in the tier system. Also note that out of these, KEN and T are confirmed for the championship next month so we will see them again then as well

D

Deleted member

Posting personal Tier Lists in the thread is generally disallowed since the topics usually get too heated, or everyone posts their own list and the thread gets messy.

That being said, some of your placements make me raise a brow, the one that struck me the most was Robin's. Care to explain why you think they belong that high?
Maybe I should delete my tier list, I did not think about that. Plus I made a better tier list. Should I delete it? Ask me, and I will do what you say.

I am no Smash Brothers expert, but I do think that :4robinm:is kind of underrated. I don't think Robin should be at high tier, but Dath and some others did place pretty high at times, like Dath placing 3rd at Shine 2016 and 25th at EVO 2016 is pretty impressive. Plus I feel like Robin does a decent job zoning and camping.

Feel free to correct me if I did something wrong.

D

Deleted member

I am confused if :4sheik:or :4diddy:is higher in the list. Should :4samus:and:4charizard:not be in bottom fifteen anymore?

D

Deleted member

:rosalina:'s player-base is low compared to other top tiers. She isn't doing too well in the M.E.T.A I heard.

I do think I made :4olimar:too high and :4metaknight::4pikachu::4ryu::4tlink::4link::4corrin::4peach::4mewtwo:are all too low. :4ryu:is not A tier though.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
MKLeo Saga looks stacked.

ZeRo:4diddy:
MKLeo:4cloud2::4marth::4corrinf::4metaknight:
Nairo:4zss::4bowser:
Dabuz:rosalina::4olimar:
Ally:4mario:
Larry Lurry:4fox:
Captain Zack:4bayonetta:
Komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic:
Mr.R:4sheik::4cloud2:
Abadango:4mewtwo::4bayonetta:
Salem:4bayonetta:
Tweek:4cloud2::4dk::4bayonetta:
VoiD:4sheik:
Marss:4zss:
KEN:4sonic:
ESAM:4pikachu:
Kirihara:rosalina:
Zinoto:4diddy:
Locus:4ryu:
Samsora:4peach:
Elegant:4luigi:
Tsu:4lucario:
Kameme:4megaman::4sheik:
falln:rosalina:
MVD:4diddy:
Mr.E:4lucina::4marth:
T:4link:
Shuton:4olimar:
Raito:4duckhunt:
HIKARU:4dk::4mario:
Ned:4cloud2:
Rich Brown:4mewtwo:
Manny:4sonic:
Javi:4cloud2::4sheik:
AC:4metaknight::4falco:
Wadi:4mewtwo::4rob:
JK:4bayonetta:

Non-PGR Notables
Lima:4bayonetta2:
K9:4sheik::4diddy:
Stroder:4greninja:
Captain L:4pikachu:
Xzax:4fox:
Mistake:4bayonetta2::4zss:
DSS:4metaknight:
Meteor:4sonic:
Konga:4dk:
Luhtie:4zss:
Zenyou:4mario:
Captain Levi:4feroy:
Eon:4fox:
Aarvark:4villager:
Charliedaking:4fox:
Razo:4peach:
Tyrant:4metaknight::4sheik::4diddy:
ConCon:4luigi:
Scizor:4link:
Cosmos:4corrinf:
ImHip:4olimar::4duckhunt:

Registration last till Midnight PST today so more notables can enter. Remember this event is 1-day and an S+ on the PGR tiering system

EDIT: TLTC drops out due to a wedding

Last edited:

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
Stacked is right, dear lord. Going to be a lot of good players lost in pools again

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
37 of last season's top 50, plus probably enough non-pgr notables to make it over 50.
Good Lord the upsets could be big.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I am confused if :4sheik:or :4diddy:is higher in the list. Should :4samus:and:4charizard:not be in bottom fifteen anymore?
You're getting too caught up in a tier list that's going on 8 months old - hopefully we get another one soon, the one in the OP is frighteningly outdated.

And man, I really hope T and Scizor do as well as they did at West Side Saga again. Or even better.

EDIT: Well this was a pretty underwhelming 3000th post but 3K hype

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
MKLeo Saga looks stacked.

ZeRo:4diddy:
MKLeo:4cloud2::4marth::4corrinf::4metaknight:
Nairo:4zss::4bowser:
Dabuz:rosalina::4olimar:
Ally:4mario:
Larry Lurry:4fox:
Captain Zack:4bayonetta:
Komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic:
Mr.R:4sheik::4cloud2:
Abadango:4mewtwo::4bayonetta:
Salem:4bayonetta:
Tweek:4cloud2::4dk::4bayonetta:
VoiD:4sheik:
Marss:4zss:
KEN:4sonic:
ESAM:4pikachu:
Kirihara:rosalina:
Zinoto:4diddy:
Locus:4ryu:
Samsora:4peach:
Elegant:4luigi:
Tsu:4lucario:
Kameme:4megaman::4sheik:
falln:rosalina:
MVD:4diddy:
Mr.E:4lucina::4marth:
T:4link:
Shuton:4olimar:
Raito:4duckhunt:
HIKARU:4dk::4mario:
Ned:4cloud2:
Rich Brown:4mewtwo:
Manny:4sonic:
Javi:4cloud2::4sheik:
AC:4metaknight::4falco:
Wadi:4mewtwo::4rob:
JK:4bayonetta:

Non-PGR Notables
Lima:4bayonetta2:
K9:4sheik::4diddy:
Stroder:4greninja:
Captain L:4pikachu:
Xzax:4fox:
Mistake:4bayonetta2::4zss:
DSS:4metaknight:
Meteor:4sonic:
Konga:4dk:
Luhtie:4zss:
Zenyou:4mario:
Captain Levi:4feroy:
Eon:4fox:
Aarvark:4villager:
Charliedaking:4fox:
Razo:4peach:
Tyrant:4metaknight::4sheik::4diddy:
ConCon:4luigi:
Scizor:4link:
Cosmos:4corrinf:
ImHip:4olimar::4duckhunt:

Registration last till Midnight PST today so more notables can enter. Remember this event is 1-day and an S+ on the PGR tiering system

EDIT: TLTC drops out due to a wedding
Ally and ZeRo may also drop.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
"drop", in this case, meaning Zero and Ally are "considering" attending a Yugioh tourney instead because of the lack of a pot bonus for MKLeo Saga.

Bonus: "Between fighting bayo for not that much reward and staying home and loving life..."

D

Deleted member

Any information on the 4th Smash Brothers tier list? What do you think will happen with the characters in the list?

You're getting too caught up in a tier list that's going on 8 months old - hopefully we get another one soon, the one in the OP is frighteningly outdated.

And man, I really hope T and Scizor do as well as they did at West Side Saga again. Or even better.

The current tier list is outdated indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am pretty interested who will win MKLeo Saga. I do hope T and Scizor do well.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
I figured I’d break this next bit of news since I keep seeing comments about this current tier list being outdated (which I agree with) and wanting a new one: v4 is in the works.

However, I can’t give an exact date for when it’ll be ready. All I can say is... soon.

D

Deleted member

I figured I’d break this next bit of news since I keep seeing comments about this current tier list being outdated (which I agree with) and wanting a new one: v4 is in the works.

However, I can’t give an exact date for when it’ll be ready. All I can say is... soon.
That's really neat! It's nice to hear a new tier list being made in the works!

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
I'm getting a feeling Villager could drop to mid tier. Yeah he does get a decent amount of good results but I feel his neutral game is a bit too linear and easy to adapt to (even if some characters struggle against villager's playstyle).

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
:rosalina:'s player-base is low compared to other top tiers. She isn't doing too well in the M.E.T.A I heard.

I do think I made :4olimar:too high and :4metaknight::4pikachu::4ryu::4tlink::4link::4corrin::4peach::4mewtwo:are all too low. :4ryu:is not A tier though.
Dabuz won The Big House 7 recently. Rosa isn't doing worse, it's more like that they're competing less often.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Ally and ZeRo may also drop.

If ZeRo drops from the tourney that removes MKLeo likely biggest obstacle for winning his own saga. If so MKLeo could finally break the "Saga curse" barring any unforseen upsets

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is :delfino:a tournament legal stage? I doubt it, but I've seen this stage in some tournaments. I heard :lylat:is a tournament legal stage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So we finally go to the point a character is literally listed as the reason a top player doesn't want to go to a S-tier tournament?
Sigh.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
All I can say is... soon.
*insert Stranger Things quote about when soon is and counting days*
Good to hear though!
If ZeRo drops from the tourney that removes MKLeo likely biggest obstacle for winning his own saga. If so MKLeo could finally break the "Saga curse" barring any unforseen upsets
Biigest, but not the only one. Leo's fallen to plenty before.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
So we finally go to the point a character is literally listed as the reason a top player doesn't want to go to a S-tier tournament?
Sigh.
That isn't good. If top players start leaving tourneys due to a character will that reopen character ban discussions (again). Top players help increase viewership on streams.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Sigh.
What are you talking about.

Is :delfino:a tournament legal stage? I doubt it, but I've seen this stage in some tournaments. I heard :lylat:is a tournament legal stage.
Delfino ain't legal, and laylat cruise barely is.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
What are you talking about.
MKLeo Saga won't have a pot bonus. Zero, seeing this, posts on twitter about how a local Yugioh tournament is looking more tempting than it, and in the replies posts "Between fighting bayo for not that much reward and staying home and loving life..."

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Plus Ally stating recently that he doesn't enjoy playing the game because of her.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Is :delfino:a tournament legal stage?
Nah, Delfino isn't legal, the legal stages in Smash 4 are pretty much universally agreed upon as being just Battlefield(Starter), Final Destination(Starter), Lylat Cruise(Starter), Smashville(Starter), Town&City(Starter), Dream Land 64(Counter-Pick and treated as Battlefield during the striking phase) and the Omegas(Counter-Pick, treated as Final Destination during the striking phase and the only legal omega stages are Suzaku Castle, Palutena's Temple and Wily Castle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom