• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
WTFox 2 (July 2nd-3rd) (Southeast) (174 Entrants) (Category 2)
1st: Dabuz :rosalina:
2nd: Mr. R :4sheik:
3rd: ZeRo :4diddy:, :4cloud2:
4th: Scatt :4megaman:
5th: Mew2King :4cloud2:
5th: Fatality :4falcon:
7th: Player-1 :4diddy:
7th: DarkShad :4ryu:
9th: Mahgnittoc :4diddy:, :4bowserjr:
9th: Brawlman1000 :4sonic:
9th: Danbi :4yoshi:, :4ness:
9th: Xanos :4lucas:
13th: Rython :4littlemac:
13th: Jester :rosalina:
13th: Cyan Can :4luigi:
13th: PKBlueberry :4lucas:

Invasion 6 (July 2nd) (New England) (90 Entrants) (Category 1)
1st: Mr. E :4marth:
2nd: LingLing :4peach:
3rd: Angel Cortes :4diddy:
4th: Dark Wizzy :4mario:
5th: Light :4fox:
5th: Taisa :4sheik:
7th: Pelca :4diddy:
7th: Raffi-X :4rob:
9th: CaptAwesum :4villager:
9th: WontonWarrior :4littlemac:
9th: Omega Tyrant :4rob:
9th: Sage :rob:
13th: Hazmatt :4bayonetta:
13th: Fabled :4mewtwo:, :4yoshi:
13th: BelaC :4ryu:
13th: SpaceMario :rosalina:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
ZSS's strengths aren't too painful for a grounded Kirby, because despite her mobility, she finds Kirby significantly harder to hit and keep a lead against. A missed grab can be punished by up to 50% damage, landing on Kirby is only asking for a usmash or utilt, and ZSS is light enough that she won't take too much damage before she's lost a stock. Offstage isn't great for Kirby, but multiple jumps allow him to avoid more offstage pressure than other characters. If he has to go low, it won't be great for him, though.
One more Kirby thing - I see a lot of people talking about how difficult it is to get an inhale, but we can actually confirm it off of weak utilt at low percents. Weak utilt, in turn, can come from a grab. So basically, fthrow > ffuair > reverse utilt > weak utilt > inhale. So it doesn't really take a hard read early on.
I'm a bit skeptical. If you have an example of a 50% damage combo on ZSS, I'd love to see it. The strongest combo I can think of against ZSS is like, Uptilt at 0% into Upsmash for less than 30% total. She can generally flip kick or jump out, in my experience.
And what kind of characters are you getting that Fthrow combo on? Anytime I do it, people DI out and jump away before the first or second uptilt. Uptilt->Inhale is clearly true, but I can almost never start a combo with a grab that ends with an Inhale.

Ryu vs Kirby is very close to even. It's one of my favorite matchups to play, and I even feel like the Ryu player has to put in more work than I do (for once!) because Kirby's crouch is legitimately abusive against him. He has to carefully space Dtilts and Dsmashes, and get some decent damage combos, while Kirby generally gets higher damage output and has better offstage pressure. As long as you don't get Rage jank killed by TRSK in the 50-70% range, the matchup might be viewed as very slightly in Kirby's favor, but I'd say overall it's pretty even.
And yes, Kirby can do Shakunetsu Hadouken, I'm surprised people still don't know this. It's a lot of fun, until you accidentally try to do an aerial and input a hadouken instead :|

Fox is one I've wondered about for a while, and whether it's truly Kirby's favor, or just even. I believe Larry refuses to play MikeKirby with his Fox, and instead opts to destroy him with Mario or Donkey Kong (both clear losses for Kirby). I'd like to see a Fox play optimally against Kirby though. Everybody knows that Uptilt combos Fox like crazy, but if he abuses his speed and feints a lot, he can run circles around Kirby and force openings. Fox can use his superior speed and frame data to control the pace of the match, but he can't afford to make many mistakes. It's kind of like Sheik vs heavyweights, in that sense.

I'm glad more people are acknowledging that Kirby vs Sonic is hell on earth. Sonic's significantly faster on: the ground, horizontally in the air, ascending, and descending, and that's not even counting his specials. When Kirby does get close to him, his CQC is on par with Kirby (Kirby's frame 3 Jab is some kind of cruel joke) and his reward per interaction is probably greater than or equal to Kirby's, due to Sonic's physics+Spring making him hard to combo past 2-3 hits. He's also practically ungimpable because Spring has a completely-necessary 8 frames of invincibility. This matchup is REALLY BAD. The only possible edge Kirby can have in this MU is KO potential, and even that's arguable.
I was one person that mentioned Kirby as a CP char. I think the Bidou setup turns Kirby into a monster, but I'm not aware of anyone using it seriously yet. In my mind he's one of those 'you'll see' characters, but with obvious potential.
I know of at least one good Kirby who has thought about this, but he doesn't want to use it because giving up Cstick aerials and stuff is a legitimate downside to Bidou.
I don't see how Kirby vs Ryu or ZSS could be even. If people say Sonic is godawful, I don't see how ZSS could be good with her ranged attacks, more aggressive offstage presence, and much more reliable kill set ups from aerials and grabs. As for Ryu, if fast, combo oriented characters like Fox, Pikachu, and Sonic can't claim an advantage against Ryu, I don't see what Kirby's got on them aside from his pink pancake crouch. Characters like Pikachu and Fox can run circles around him but they are also in kill range at like 50% (which is basically two combos and a well timed sneeze for Ryu) and Kirby's not exactly mobile. Again, I don't main him and I rarely see anyone use him so maybe some Kirby mains might want to open up the floor for this.
So yeah, you have it pretty much right. I said why Ryu is a pretty good matchup, and I don't want to say more on ZSS (I'm biased because my limited ZSS experience is basically getting bodied by Marss) but I would 100% never call it Kirby's advantage, it's yet another even-at-best matchup. Kirby dies stupidly early in this matchup, especially to rage Upair->cheese Boost Kick kills off the top before the final hit still being a thing on floaties.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'm a bit skeptical. If you have an example of a 50% damage combo on ZSS, I'd love to see it. The strongest combo I can think of against ZSS is like, Uptilt at 0% into Upsmash for less than 30% total. She can generally flip kick or jump out, in my experience.
And what kind of characters are you getting that Fthrow combo on? Anytime I do it, people DI out and jump away before the first or second uptilt. Uptilt->Inhale is clearly true, but I can almost never start a combo with a grab that ends with an Inhale.
On ZSS? Definitely just a string of uairs and utilts. I forget who else has done it - I think maybe KidGoggles?

As for grab to inhale - usually fastfallers. Limit Cloud, for example. I noticed that it's harder to get out of strong hit utilit after the uair. Weak hit is very easily di'd, which is why it has to start w/ strong hit.

And naturally, they're more likely to jump out if you overextend.

EDIT: Sonic

Now that I'm looking at frame data, pretty much everything we have on the ground is faster OR has slightly better FAF than Sonic's grounded tools. Sonic wrecks us in the air, but who doesn't?

Last edited:

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Optimal sonic is a myth. This is not how people, smash or fighting games work.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
That's the Brawl R.O.B. icon. If you could fix that, my OCD thanks you.

Optimal anyone doesn't exist because we're all bound by human limitations.
That player has somehow managed to retain BAir's front hitbox, FTilt's great range, and easy Gyro cancels on R.O.B. I envy him.

Actually, are Gyro cancels even possible anymore? I want to say they are but you have to be frame perfect.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Gyro Cancels are still in this game. You just have to input special and shield simultanously.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pikachu does not beat Ryu. He has no specific tool that hurts Ryu's game. I would accept Kirby beating Ryu, before pikachu.

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I'm actually kind of surprised to hear that Kirby can do input Hadokens at all. I would have thought that was tied to Ryu specifically, not the special move.
I find them handy for buffering them after Kirby's throws. Not sure of any utility you can do with them.
Do Kirby's fireballs go under Ryu's or do they clash?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Oml, all the Kirby discussion... the misinformation... Where do I start?

On the topic of Kirby as a strong CP character, its a strong misconception that doesn't have the player-base to disprove it. Meaning people still dont know crap about him because of the low number of actual good Kirby players. To prove this you still see people saying "Dair > Dsmash is a good kill combo" (implying Dair > Dsmash works on every character).

I talked about this a little while ago, I strongly believe that Kirby's "CP potential" comes from a biased combo of high level players who dont know the matchup lose or almost lose to Kirby on stream & low-mid level players autopiloting their way into Kirby's traps and not having the punish game to abuse his weaknesses correctly.

What are you giving up when you confirm into the inhale vs continuing a juggle?
On the topic of Inhale, its usually always worth it. It does 10% and sends people into the air, which you could then punish their landing and continue whatever string you thought you missed out on.

Also getting the inhale isnt hard. Rev. Utilt > Inhale, FF Uair > Inhale, Rev Uair > Inhale, and Dtilt trip > PP Breverse Inhale are all true Inhale confirms. On top of that you can confirm it from reading airdodges, punishing rolls on reaction, covering ledge options, punishing unsafe moves, catching landings, reading shield habits, and general whiff punishing. Even the best Kirby's have yet to optimize this. Instead you get a lot of Kirby's throwing it out hoping they run into it or it catches the opponent off guard and then say "Its hard to get an inhale on a good player" when it doesnt work lol.

Oh yeah and Monado Kirby is overrated. Someone try to prove me wrong.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
I will gather all the footage of monado kirby being played at a reasonable level of optimization ergo one that at least employs all the monado AT's and true combos enabled by it as well as all other existing to prove you wrong!!!!! oh wait..

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Oml, all the Kirby discussion... the misinformation... Where do I start?

On the topic of Kirby as a strong CP character, its a strong misconception that doesn't have the player-base to disprove it. Meaning people still dont know crap about him because of the low number of actual good Kirby players. To prove this you still see people saying "Dair > Dsmash is a good kill combo" (implying Dair > Dsmash works on every character).

I talked about this a little while ago, I strongly believe that Kirby's "CP potential" comes from a biased combo of high level players who dont know the matchup lose or almost lose to Kirby on stream & low-mid level players autopiloting their way into Kirby's traps and not having the punish game to abuse his weaknesses correctly.

On the topic of Inhale, its usually always worth it. It does 10% and sends people into the air, which you could then punish their landing and continue whatever string you thought you missed out on.

Also getting the inhale isnt hard. Rev. Utilt > Inhale, FF Uair > Inhale, Rev Uair > Inhale, and Dtilt trip > PP Breverse Inhale are all true Inhale confirms. On top of that you can confirm it from reading airdodges, punishing rolls on reaction, covering ledge options, punishing unsafe moves, catching landings, reading shield habits, and general whiff punishing. Even the best Kirby's have yet to optimize this. Instead you get a lot of Kirby's throwing it out hoping they run into it or it catches the opponent off guard and then say "Its hard to get an inhale on a good player" when it doesnt work lol.

To be fair, Asdioh and EL labbed the heck out of the Ryu matchup, and concluded it's even-ish based on that. So that's one top tier. I really think the issue with Kirby as a CP is how easily he's counterpicked in return.

Though I'm curious, actually... how is Monado Kirby overrated?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Though I'm curious, actually... how is Monado Kirby overrated?
Its still very good, but only at a level of optimization most people dont even consider. Also no one considers counterplay from Shulk's end. Buster Monado Utilts and Jump Monado Uairs are the main subjects when people like to talk about how good it is, even though Shulk has the technology to outright escape them. He could also use his mobility to stall threatening Monados out.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Its still very good, but only at a level of optimization most people dont even consider. Also no one considers counterplay from Shulk's end. Buster Monado Utilts and Jump Monado Uairs are the main subjects when people like to talk about how good it is, even though Shulk has the technology to outright escape them. He could also use his mobility to stall threatening Monados out.
Pretty much this. Shulk is good at shutting Kirby out.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
That makes sense; thanks!

My main thing is speed Monado to play a much better bait and punish game. You're definitely right though, since that doesn't last forever (and the other arts can still be walled out for free). That and it's harder to escape in Speed if Shulk gets a hit going.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Well.....since we're talking about Kirby and some of his top tier MUs, what about some of his High tier MUs?

Ness was considered pretty tough at first, but iirc, it's seen as near even.
Pikachu is seen as close to even as well, with Pika having the slight edge.
Villager.......I don't really know all I remember is some villager mains and Kirby's before saying it was even, but that was a long time ago.

Peach.....This is one I legit haven't seen so I have absolutely no clue.
Yoshi was considered his worst MU for a short time, but now if you play the MU right, it seems to be yoshi with only a slight advantage apparently.

CF.....yea it seems like we win, judging from Mike's MU chart, and by a noticeable amount too.
Bayonetta, again this one is so rarely done from what I have seen I have absolutely no clue.
Corrin I would assume would definitely be a tougher MU for Kirby.

So I am going off from what I remember/read/heard and judging by this.....his High tier MUs aren't too bad, likely better then his top tier, but we still haven't seen many of these played out, so to come out with a very agreeable results....it's going to be really tough.
Any Kirby mains or mains to the characters above have any clue?

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Pika's specific advantage vs Ryu would be edgeguarding him... I don't think we've seen this at a high enough level to be conclusive, but I won't push pika discussion here anyways, it gets circular and boring. I thought pika winning was commonly accepted, but ive been away for a bit.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pika's specific advantage vs Ryu would be edgeguarding him... I don't think we've seen this at a high enough level to be conclusive, but I won't push pika discussion here anyways, it gets circular and boring. I thought pika winning was commonly accepted, but ive been away for a bit.
Everyone can edgeguard Ryu and Pika damn sure isnt the best at it.

That goes to Marth and Lucina.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
When Shulk uses Smash, I use Jump to stall it out... if this MU is played optimally it's probably really lame lol. When it's not though, it's generally super fun.

Well.....since we're talking about Kirby and some of his top tier MUs, what about some of his High tier MUs?

Ness was considered pretty tough at first, but iirc, it's seen as near even.
Pikachu is seen as close to even as well, with Pika having the slight edge.
Villager.......I don't really know all I remember is some villager mains and Kirby's before saying it was even, but that was a long time ago.

Peach.....This is one I legit haven't seen so I have absolutely no clue.
Yoshi was considered his worst MU for a short time, but now if you play the MU right, it seems to be yoshi with only a slight advantage apparently.

CF.....yea it seems like we win, judging from Mike's MU chart, and by a noticeable amount too.
Bayonetta, again this one is so rarely done from what I have seen I have absolutely no clue.
Corrin I would assume would definitely be a tougher MU for Kirby.

So I am going off from what I remember/read/heard and judging by this.....his High tier MUs aren't too bad, likely better then his top tier, but we still haven't seen many of these played out, so to come out with a very agreeable results....it's going to be really tough.
Any Kirby mains or mains to the characters above have any clue?
You basically summarized how I feel about most of these matchups. Peach remains one of the few characters in the game I feel we could have a legit advantage over, because nothing about her feels particularly oppressive. Her KO moves are relatively easy to avoid, and she doesn't dramatically outspeed us or have much better frame data/range/damage output.
Yeah I wanted to mention this as well. Matchup inexperience is very real, but despite that, most top players don't even lose to Kirby. Kirby's biggest accomplishments so far mostly include almost beating top players, which doesn't bode well when MU inexperience is still a factor. The Kirby matchup really isn't hard to figure out. The biggest hurdle for certain characters is that, if he can crouch under some of your most-used attacks, you'll need to suppress your muscle memory for those attacks. Other than that, he's straightforward. He doesn't have any crazy hitboxes to worry about. If he's hitting you with something, you just DI away and/or upward. It's not like some combos in this game, where you need ot mix up your DI to fool your opponent, or stuff like ROB's Upair, which requires unintuitive DI to survive. Kirby grabs you? DI away. Kirby uptilts you and you're a fastfaller? Just take a couple seconds to relax, and then jump out once you start tumbling. The only situation I can think of is if Kirby trips you with Dtilt, don't just hold away all the time, because rolling away is the most predictable reaction, leading to easy punishes.

Personally, I've thought of :4kirby: for a while now as a character that's similar to :4fox: on the ground, and similar to :4mario::4drmario: in the air... but with better kill throws.
On the ground, Kirby and Fox have extremely similar movesets. Backflip kick Upsmash, propel-forward Fsmash, and a Dsmash that hits on both sides at once. The main difference is that Fox's smashes are weaker, but faster. As for tilts, Kirby and Fox have Jabs and tilts with similar range and frame data that cover similar areas. Dash Attack is... well, Kirby won't be using that.
In the air, Kirby and the Marios have very similar moves. Bair, Upair, and Nair are functionally similar, Dairs are all multihit, but functionally different. Fairs are the biggest difference, with Kirby's being more usable on a regular basis, while (Dr) Mario's Fairs are more useful for ending stocks. Also, most of Mario's aerials are faster and safer.

So why do :4fox: and :4mario: have much better results than :4kirby:? Here's a big part of it:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/AirAcceleration
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/DashSpeed
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/AirSpeed
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/FallSpeed
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/DashLength
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/WalkSpeed
etc.

Also, having multiple jumps is usually more detrimental than advantageous, because it prevents characters from being able to ascend quickly and continue combos/pressure. You know all those Upair combos you see Mario/Fox getting that quickly rack up a ton of damage? Kirby can't dream of that, even if it was technically possible with his Upair, because of his slow airspeed/multijumps.

RIP Upper Cutter.

D

Deleted member 269706

Everyone can edgeguard Ryu and Pika damn sure isnt the best at it.

That goes to Marth and Lucina.
Honest question, what is it that makes those two the best at edge-guarding Ryu? Is it counter shenanigans, or is there more to it than that?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Honest question, what is it that makes those two the best at edge-guarding Ryu? Is it counter shenanigans, or is there more to it than that?
It's more than countering him. They have Nair to mess with Focus/hit hard offstage, Fair to interrupt Tatsu or just Fair chain Ryu off, Bair from ledge that can kill/put on a bad position, and even Dolphin Slash to mess with teching when Ryu recovers low. Marcina have the brute force to get Ryu away from safe Shoryuken recovery zone, the disjoints to abuse Tatsu recovery over and over, and the air speed to abuse Ryu's air acceleration.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Run off counter combined with a great bair.

There are a few other things but their edgeguarding could be reduced to that alone vs him and they would still decimate him offstage.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Pretty much any matchup that involves Kirby is bound to be stupid and boring to watch if played 'optimally'. I bet a good half of the top x lamest matchups in the game involves Kirby in some way. Kirby vs Shulk is most likely up there though Kirby dittos definitely take the cake in my book.

Such a stupid character.

:059:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Most "optimal" matchups have a lot of spacing and generally take longer.

Besides, Kirby had a bad approach game. You should be setting the pace of the match.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Can Kirby realistically gain the lead against you somehow [usually either through low % combos or bair strings]?

If the answer is "yes":
Run away, avoid all direct confrontation with Kirby, don't ever approach unless you're 100% guaranteed to hit, use platforms if possible, always keep an eye on the option of timing Kirby out and generally stall the heck out of the game because if you lose the lead that's exactly what Kirby will do to you.

If the answer is "no":
Watch Kirby 'run away', avoiding all direct confrontation with you, not ever approaching unless he's 100% guaranteed to hit, staying away from platforms, always keeping an eye on the option of timing you out and generally stall the heck out of the game because if he loses the lead that's exactly what you will do to him.

People that play this character have no heart or soul, no respect for their opponent or themselves and have an infinite capacity to deal with boredom because they had a terrible childhood. They cry themselves to sleep every night and eat baby kittens for breakfast.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Ugh, imagine if those characteristics were on a good character. People would hate him!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Can Kirby realistically gain the lead against you somehow [usually either through low % combos or bair strings]?

If the answer is "yes":
Run away, avoid all direct confrontation with Kirby, don't ever approach unless you're 100% guaranteed to hit, use platforms if possible, always keep an eye on the option of timing Kirby out and generally stall the heck out of the game because if you lose the lead that's exactly what Kirby will do to you.

If the answer is "no":
Watch Kirby 'run away', avoiding all direct confrontation with you, not ever approaching unless he's 100% guaranteed to hit, staying away from platforms, always keeping an eye on the option of timing you out and generally stall the heck out of the game because if he loses the lead that's exactly what you will do to him.

People that play this character have no heart or soul, no respect for their opponent or themselves and have an infinite capacity to deal with boredom because they had a terrible childhood. They cry themselves to sleep every night and eat baby kittens for breakfast.

I don't understand how this doesn't relate to basically every character in every fighting game?
Pretty much any matchup that involves Kirby is bound to be stupid and boring to watch if played 'optimally'. I bet a good half of the top x lamest matchups in the game involves Kirby in some way. Kirby vs Shulk is most likely up there though Kirby dittos definitely take the cake in my book.

Such a stupid character.

How would you fix him?

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Speaking of edgeguarding ryu, how are swordies against him offstage anyway? Jump art shulk could be a good answer to ryu offstage, but there might be other swordies as well who can keep ryu from getting back on the stage effectively. Thoughts?

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman

If the answer is "yes":

If the answer is "no":

Hyperbole aside, it's not surprising people are having trouble playing a matchup where just pressing buttons is a bad thing. Patience is the rarest thing in the general Smash player toolbox.

I mean, look at my icon. That is a patient man. He'd win the Kirby matchup without a doubt.

Also, how is Kirby running away when I have to take a nap half-way through him going across Battlefield? That's just silly.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
We have another stacked Xanadu with 157 Entrants tonight ( I think that's more then the Japanese Xanadu)
Will this be part of your thingy? Das Koopa Das Koopa

ESAM :4pikachu: :4corrin:
6WX :4sonic:
Pink fresh :4bayonetta2::4lucas:
Seagull Joe:4sonic::4diddy:
Angel Cortes :4diddy:
Tension :4fox:
Sova Unknown:4link:
Vice Roy:rosalina:
Illusion:4greninja:
Max Ketchum :4cloud:
C3PO:4diddy:
Logic :4olimar:
ZD:4luigi:
Dexter:4corrinf:
Mister Eric :4rob:
WadiRob:4mewtwo::4rob:
Techei:4greninja:
Zepher :4cloud2:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Playing Kirby in Smash is like fighting bosses abilityless in Kirby games; if they never used the moves that Kirby could suck up and spit back he'd never beat them.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
It will be really interesting to see how Kamemushi does at Evo. It will go a long way in determining MegaMan's real viability. He's had fantastic results in Japan thanks to him, Scatt's been doing really well in the US as well (though not nearly as well).

I think Megaman's biggest weakness is definitely his recovery and people don't exploit it enough. It's slow with no hitbox and high ending lag and yet people don't challenge it off-stage for some reason. It's not like Cloud where you have to worry about massive disjoints and a decent hitbox to go along with it.

His matchups against top tiers seem mostly great. He beats Diddy and probably Sonic according to some, does okay versus Rosalina, ZSS, Ryu etc. His only bad matchup in the top 10 seems to be against Sheik.

Anyway where do you guys think Megaman falls on the tier list currently? Top 15? Possibly even top 10?

Last edited:

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Fox,Sheik and maybe Mario are his only really bad matchups. Dunno about Pikachu yet honestly probably another losing one but its so uncommon to really consider it at the moment and it probably isn't that awful I just think MM players don't have an experience with it so its up in the clouds at the moment.

His top/high tier MU spread honestly doesn't suggest him being top 10/15 but its definitely not bad by any means. He has a bunch of even matchups and few winning ones. I just think Sheik and Fox are still really hard MUs for Megaman to really be "solo" main.

That said..I'm honestly curious what secondary compliments Megaman to handle his bad matchups

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I think Mega Man's lack of good CQC is more of a weakness than his recovery. The lag on his recovery can be somewhat mitigated by landing with a lemon (allowing you to jump again immediately) but jumping is still a commitment that can be punished. Be able to save his double jump before he Up Bs is also really nice.
His CQC though... it's not just his frame data. He doesn't have actually tilts. His tilts/jab are lemons, a slide, and shoryuken which are all good moves in their own right but risky to use in the same way you'd use a jab. He relies on grabbing/nairing to get people away which can both be worked around without much difficulty.

Maybe DK would make a good secodary. I've heard that DK does really well against Mario, and I remember a few top players (was it ZeRo?) saying that DK can compete with Sheik. IDK about DK's Fox MU (doesn't sound good on paper to me) but I'm not sure that matchup is bad enough to warrant a secondary. Recent Larry vs Scatt matches will often be cited but in those matches, Scatt often falls into the habit of air dodging in the same situations over and over as well as dropping edge guards left and right. I think there's room for that MU to grow a lot.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Playing Kirby in Smash is like fighting bosses abilityless in Kirby games; if they never used the moves that Kirby could suck up and spit back he'd never beat them.
Ain't that the truth. As it happens, the punish on those moves (star spit) will always be one of the strongest options. But things are made more consistently manageable if he already has a copy ability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom