• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Top 10 on Sumamate (Japanese online ladder) before Sumabato starts tonight (a lot of top tournament players also play wifi quite a bit)

1) Hitori :4bowserjr: 2092 points, 264-74
1) Ron :4mario: 2092 points, 116-16
3) Shuton :4olimar: 2070 points, 75-22
4) FILIP :4mario: 2037 points, 224-128
5) // :4littlemac: 2011 points, 221-30
6) Masashi :4cloud2: 2008 points, 70-21
7) ikep :4bayonetta2: 2002 points, 61-31
8) Hitorotomu :4charizard: 2000 points, 56-11
9) Mangalica♀ :4bayonetta2:1976 points, 61-17
10) Nga :4megaman: 1969 points, 69-22
Wait a Bowser JR. player is ranked number 1 online in Japan? Isn't he considered low tier by most?

A Charizard is in top 8? Also aside from Cloud and maybe Mario no top tier is on this list. Are there footage of these guys in action?

I get it's wifi but wifi in Japan is much better than in NA so I don't think that's much of an excuse.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Wait a Bowser JR. player is ranked number 1 online in Japan? Isn't he considered low tier by most?

A Charizard is in top 8? Also aside from Cloud and maybe Mario no top tier is on this list. Are there footage of these guys in action?

I get it's wifi but wifi in Japan is much better than in NA so I don't think that's much of an excuse.
It's Japan...he can be low tier and still be doing well there, especially over wifi.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
It's Japan...he can be low tier and still be doing well there, especially over wifi.
Their internet connections are not the same as ours. Consider the distance for instance, Japan is pretty congested. Also they use fibre optic connections.

Stating "it's Japan" doesn't explain anything unless you are implying they are bad enough where a low tier character can do so well. But we know this is not the case as their players have won MAJORS in NA in both Brawl and Smash 4.

Also that poster pointed out that plenty of Japan's best players play online. So it's not like these results are due to the best players ignoring online.

Maybe Bowser JR. isn't as bad as NA thinks. We like to pretend we have stuff figured out when there's so much we don't know and underestimate.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
:4greninja: is in winners semis of Sumabato 11. Those of you holding out for Some are looking in the wrong place. Oisiitofu is insane.
Oisiitofu is playing Kie. :4greninja: v. :4peach: should be dope to watch

EDIT: Please watch this set. Amazing gameplay, I think Kie's movement is actually on a whole other level

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
You3 assured 4th at worst at Sumabato, best a Duck Hunt has ever performed

Djent

Smash Champion
1) Komorikiri :4sonic::4cloud2:
2) Kie :4peach:
3) ikep :4bayonetta:
4) You3 :4duckhunt:
5) Earth :4pit::4corrinf:
5) Oisiitofu :4greninja:
7) Aki :4ryu:
7) FILIP :4mario::4cloud:
9) Fuwa :4marth:
9) Gomamugitya :4lucario:
9) Z~Tan :4cloud2::4sonic:
9) Tatsutsuyo :4mario:
13) A :4myfriends:
13) Souther :4falcon:
13) HIKARU :4dk:
13) Sylph :4sheik:

180 entrants. Bracket here.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
7) Aki :4ryu:(:4sheik:?)
13) A :substitute:

Well there's Marth, middle of top 16 like he usually is

Wait a second, is that a Corrin? I haven't seen one in so long, I almost forgot s/he existed

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Noteworthy players out before top 16:
-9B :4mewtwo:
-Taiheita :4lucas:
-Kamemushi :4megaman:
-Ri-Ma :4tlink:
-Sigma :4tlink:
-Shuton :4olimar:
-Shogun :4fox:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
@Thinkaman Inspiring words and I completely agree with you. I am also sick of top player circlejerks and community exclusion. I do think the situation has improved since the Back Room-driven Melee/Brawl days though.
:4greninja: is in winners semis of Sumabato 11. Those of you holding out for Some are looking in the wrong place. Oisiitofu is insane.
Some seems to have died a long time ago. I haven't seen him enter anything notable for months.

Overall, I can say though they are really good at taking stocks from nowhere with reads and situation awareness, I believe they need to chill and try to slow the game down a little, especially on venia's part since he holds a good projectile and dash grab to punish anything with lag on the ground. He really only needed to do SH Fairs to provoke and then punish with dash grab because of the distance and range it holds. One trick he could've used was to stand still for approx 20 frames and went for a dash grab the moment Mr.E got greedy before the scrambling happened. I feel this could be a bad MU for Marth because of him being easily punish for any bad aerial he throws out and the fact that he has to approach a character who has a psuedo sword, strong punish game, and good edgeguarding capabilites. Marth can PS predictable shurikens and go for spaced Fairs a couple of times, then a SHFF into grab/shield breaker/wait then punish. However, this is my assumption and theorycraft based on what I've seen from this match and my knowledge of each characters abilities. Idk the results from this particular MU. Maybe Marth has to play aggro to throw off greninja and to take control of the game, idk and if someone has a different input, I would be glad to hear it.

EDIT: something else I thought about after making this: how about we also do match discussions? Somebody posts a match and people go to discuss what they've seen.
I really enjoyed this analysis overall so good job.

Approaching Greninja is often a nighmare. I do think Greninja is top-tier good when he is forcing the approach/has the lead. Powershielding shurikens is rather difficult if you are using them correctly, as charging them for a couple of frames will ruin powershield timing.

Whether Greninja has the advantage against Marth I don't know, because Marth has no issue putting safe(-ish) disjointed hitboxes in Greninja's blindspot (in front and above him) and thus can exert near-free pressure in the neutral. Marth is probably the best character at abusing this particular weakness of Greninja. I do think that Marth can go aggro to take control of the neutral and repeated use of spaced aerials is hard to deal with. Incidentally I also think this is why Greninja loses slightly to Cloud. If Marth and Cloud had more lag on their aerials I would put both MUs quite strongly in Greninja's favour.

The three top Marth mains who recently put out MU charts (which were posted in this thread) all had Greninja between 50:50 and 60:40 which is interesting. I think we can safely say that Marth doesn't win, but I'm not completely sold that Greninja does.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I think some of the main reasons those players drowned was because it was. Bo1 in pools, and is prob a reason for the inconsistency. Also yay Komo Senpai

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The only exceptions in history have been games that slant towards masochism, addiction, and sunk-cost fallacy of execution skills developed, like Counter-Strike, original DotA, and to a limited extent Melee.
I have to say that I love this description, because it encapsulates something I've been trying to describe for a long time (and can only seem to do so in giant essays).

Of course, what you wrote is also a giant essay but let's put that aside.

Fenny

Smash Ace

ikep has to be my favourite Bayo on the scene right now, just because from what I've seen him do he embodies more so than any other Bayo main how creative her combo chains can be without even needing to touch Witch Twist, especially after 1.1.6. If there's any Bayo I look to for ideas and inspiration for combo mix ups, I go to him. Very happy he's gotten top 3 here.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sumabato tournaments are always interesting because they provide good insight into the mid-tier and generally non-top tier metagame, whether it's Pit, DK or Lucas ... how else could we have seen Abadango and 9B both getting eliminated by DH players with Mewtwo recently if it weren't for people like Raito, Yousan or Brood?

Sure, the results become incosistent as hell as a consequence by I think it's good that non-top tiers get a chance to shine.

:059:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
So wait, I heard Kie could potentially be the best Peach as of now? Man, I want to see this stuff do bad, I hope it gets uploaded to YouTube or something.

I know I talk about Peach alot,(I still miss playing her) but lately, her results have been getting pretty good, and it seems few people even acknowledge or even notice this.

What do people think of her now? Do you consider her a threat and that you should learn the MU.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN

Peach pulling in those results! Hopefully they'll put some of Kie's matches on youtube.

:4peach: actually is approaching the results as a high tier now.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I think she definitely is a candidate for high tier, for a while now.

The moment she actually WINS a tournament instead of getting close to winning, then we can definitely see how much strong she is, but right now she is doing quite fine.

@falln you seem to view peach pretty well, how would you rate her? What do you think her future holds? Will it be good? Bad? What do you think of this extremely technical character?

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Lately, Kie's been getting better results than Umeki (ever did). I'm not sure what SlayerZ has been up to, but I can tell you Kie is certainly Japan's best Peach. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the best, period.

I can't see Peach being high tier as of now, but I do think she can be quite dangerous to anyone who doesn't play Diddy or Sonic.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Peach is in that mish-mash of borderline high tiers with DK and friends.

Her results put her at the higher end of that block.

She probably scrapes top 20.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Is duckhunt actually bad? He seems to have so many tools that work together (aside from his smashes.)

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
Lately, Kie's been getting better results than Umeki (ever did). I'm not sure what SlayerZ has been up to, but I can tell you Kie is certainly Japan's best Peach. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the best, period.

I can't see Peach being high tier as of now, but I do think she can be quite dangerous to anyone who doesn't play Diddy or Sonic.
Peach has a good MU vs Sonic, as Float destroys spin dash.
The MU is basically who gets lames the other out first wins. (Like Megaman)

Djent

Smash Champion
Eh, when I made a :4pikachu: matchup chart I had Ness listed as -2.** Character is problematic for many of the reasons Mario is. He can outpace Pika WRT damage racking and sealing out stocks, with the alleviating factor that he can at least get edgeguarded pretty hard. I'm not that surprised.

**Yeah, I toot my own horn more than G&W
who also beats Pikachu.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
DKWill and Dakpo lost to Lilpac :4littlemac:

ESAM lost to Miiself :4ness: from Colorado.

What even is LTC4.
As if DK didn't take enough abuse in the boxing ring from Mac.

That's 3 big names now rattled by a Mac. I still think he has amongst the highest potential.

And the lowest. When played right, he have Mac almost being Nairo. When played wrong, he have that massacre at Pound with that Mac player vs Larry Lurr's Fox.

Such an enigma. By no means high tier, but maybe he can hit the middle by the end of the games patches.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
DKWill and Dakpo lost to Lilpac :4littlemac:

ESAM lost to Miiself :4ness: from Colorado.

What even is LTC4.
No wonder he's aganist mii viability.

(Also, did he use Corrin or Pikachu?)

As if DK didn't take enough abuse in the boxing ring from Mac.

That's 3 big names now rattled by a Mac. I still think he has amongst the highest potential.

And the lowest. When played right, he have Mac almost being Nairo. When played wrong, he have that massacre at Pound with that Mac player vs Larry Lurr's Fox.

Such an enigma. By no means high tier, but maybe he can hit the middle by the end of the games patches.
Don't forget Mew2King vs that Little Mac main at PAX arena :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
An incredibly volatile character (:4littlemac:) with extreme strengths and weaknesses occasionally makes a big splash.

In other news, grass is confirmed green.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Peach has a good MU vs Sonic, as Float destroys spin dash.
No wonder everybody outside of Japan thinks so lowly of Sonic if beating Spin Dash is supposedly all it takes to have a good matchup against him ... :rolleyes:

I think as the metagame progresses Fox will eventually turn out to be one of Mac's hardest matchups. He's one of the few characters in the game that can straight-up challenge Mac's buttons and get a percent lead in neutral. That's something I can see becoming a lot more important than the ability to gimp him [which Fox for instance mostly lacks] - sure, Mac is gimpable but if you can't keep up with him in neutral it's not enough to just throw him offstage and hope for a mistake.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
No wonder everybody outside of Japan thinks so lowly of Sonic if beating Spin Dash is supposedly all it takes to have a good matchup against him ... :rolleyes:
Well everyone outside of Japan can't play Sonic outside of Spin Dash so yeah lmao.

Real talk though, Peach's superior air game, combos, kill power and ability to eliminate ground options with Float Dair makes it really hard to for Sonic to get on her with his most potent punish tool. Our saving grace is the fact that Peach is really slow so running with the lead is an amazing option. (It's kinda like the Mario MU, get the lead and then GTFO racking up small amounts of damage at a time)

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
I think :4corrinf:+:4pikachu:would form ideal matchup coverage in theory, since Corrin handily takes care of Mario/G&W/Ness. Would be nice to see ESAM actually use his pocket Corrin more rather than stubbornly sticking to Pikachu in the bad MUs.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

I think as the metagame progresses Fox will eventually turn out to be one of Mac's hardest matchups. He's one of the few characters in the game that can straight-up challenge Mac's buttons and get a percent lead in neutral. That's something I can see becoming a lot more important than the ability to gimp him [which Fox for instance mostly lacks] - sure, Mac is gimpable but if you can't keep up with him in neutral it's not enough to just throw him offstage and hope for a mistake.

Fox can challenge Macs ftilt, a move designed to be incontestable?

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom