• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Quick overview of results from this weekend

2GGT: EE Saga (196 entrants) 1st ZeRo :4sheik::4diddy: 2nd Larry Lurr :4fox::4dk: 3rd VoiD :4sheik:
Tampa Never Sleeps 6 (192 entrants) 1st Mew2King :4cloud: 2nd Seibrik :4metaknight: 3rd MVD :4diddy:
GUMS 6 (188 entrants) 1st Marss :4zss: 2nd Raffi-X :4rob: 3rd Mr. E :4marth:(he tweeted he went Marth only!)
GGWP IV: The Heroes (97 entrants) 1st S1-14 :4ness: 2nd iStudying :4greninja: 3rd Gregs :4sheik:
Cannes Winter Clash 2 (95 entrants) 1st Mr. R :4sheik: 2nd Glutonny :4bayonetta: 3rd Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman:
Polybash 2016 (93 entrants) 1st Holy :4rob: 2nd DarkAura :4greninja: 3rd JPeds :4diddy:
Winter Brawl X (76 entrants) 1st 6WX :4sonic: 2nd ANTi :4zss::4mario: 3rd C3PO :4diddy:
Final Destination 6 (72 entrants) 1st Saiki :4sheik:? 2nd Andrew Ryan :4ryu:? 3rd The Weasel :substitute: Arizona's #1 SS only 7th
Kings of Queens (65 entrants) 1st John Numbers :4wiifit::4luigi: 2nd MikeKirby :4kirby: 3rd CaptAwesum :4villager:
Budokai Smashing Vol. 1 (58 entrants) 1st Wonf :4sonic: 2nd Chota :4littlemac: 3rd Anguiano :4tlink:
Touch the Throne (??? entrants) 1st cyve :4diddy::4bayonetta: 2nd Light :4sheik: 3rd quiKsilver :substitute:
Breakout 2 (??? entrants) 1st Zinoto :4diddy: 2nd Ally :4mario: 3rd SETHsational :4cloud:

There were a few tournaments bigger than some of these this weekend but didn't have as good of competition
6x top 3 for Diddy Kong this weekend, including 3 wins, one of them solo.

But Ryu, Pikachu, Fox and Mario are supposedly better.

olololololololololololo

PS quiksilver plays ZSS

:059:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
6x top 3 for Diddy Kong this weekend, including 3 wins, one of them solo.

But Ryu, Pikachu, Fox and Mario are supposedly better.

olololololololololololo

PS quiksilver plays ZSS

:059:
Been saying this...

Then again, my username alone reaks of bias towards Diddy so... :rolleyes:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Tweek shouldn't feel bad about dropping Bowser Jr. if he can do better with another character and increase his potential to reach the top. Who knows? Maybe elements of his Bowser Jr. will even come out in his other characters.

I think the issue with a top player dropping an under-utilized character is that having top-level representation does wonders for a character's player base, to inspire them to pick up the character, push forward, etc. It shouldn't be necessary, but that's just how things go: when you see someone who's like you succeed, you get motivated to do better as well. WIth the best Bowser Jr. gone, Jr. mains have fewer to rally behind, fewer to learn from. Of course, someone can always pick up the slack.

The Mewtwo board was only semi-active a few months ago, but after the patch and after more and more good players started picking up the board is more or less thriving. People want to talk about Mewtwo, people want to pick up Mewtwo, and the more players a character has the more likely they're going to have their meta pushed forward.

It's why I feel bad for the Mii players: With how inconsistent the rules are from one tournament to the next, fewer people play them and in turn there's less ongoing discussion of what they can do. The rich get richer, but all it takes is one rags to riches story to begin to change things.

(Note that wasn't a pro or anti-full Miis argument, more just sympathy for how fractured the Mii meta is.)

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
@ Luigi discussion from above: it's been 4 months or so, and if we're going to keep on complaining about Luigi nerfs, then pick up another character. I've heard Red Luigi was a good character if you don't like regular Luigi. Simpler playstyle for similar reward. But complaining about the actual Luigi isn't gonna do much good. I urge you to stop complaining and get creative. The nerf took away a great option: cool, that's what nerfs usually do if something is overtuned on a character. Luigi still has the chops to be threatening, so try him out. I'm sorry Luigi isn't D throw: the character anymore (and before you say it: I know the actual Luigi MAINS didn't use Luigi soley for d throw, but every body else who had a pocket Luigi did). So go out, be creative with what you have left with the character, and remember: NO JOHNS.

Now that it'll take about a month for Luigi complaints to come up again, let me talk about something saddening.

Tweek's decision: I'm really sad that the premiere Bow Jr. player dropped the character (it's like if ConCon dropped Luigi for ZSS, or if Armada dropped Peach for Fo- oh wait), but it's rather easy to see why. I don't blame the kid for wanting to win. Bowser Jr. just isn't gonna put in the work that Cloud can. All power to him and all: but even more to the Bowser Jr. meta

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Jus going to comment on this briefly before I turn in. First, Sheik's troubles in the MU seem very similar to Game & Watch's which makes me feel slightly better about my main.

DK's a character with a few very, very good (ppssibly overtuned) moves. UTilt and BAir can both be worked into combos and both kill while having a rather good speed-to-power ratio. UAir is similar, and while his throw combo isn't overwhelming it IS scary. You saw Larry just going after the grab around half the match it felt like (the other half was trying to return to neutral from disadvantage).

He's surprisingly hard to edgeguard unless you can force him low enough without his double jump because of the distance and horizontal protection Spinning Kong give him. He can occasionally have time to throw out a defensive aerial while recovering as well. FAir in particular can be frustrating thanks to its range and if the edgeguarder mistimes their attack, they can kiss their stock goodbye.

He's juggled really badly but his airspeed is excellent which helps somewhat. He's got massive, powerful hitboxes, too, which means that if he can force a trade while being juggled it'll probably be in his favor.

His ground game is just fast enough to put decent pressure on the opponent when he gets a hit in and his juggle game isn't too shabby, either.

Basically he's the most functional heavy thanks to his speed/power ratio and good mobility (Bowser's probably not far behind but his moves don't flow nearly as well as DK's).
Uhhhhhh.......Void simply approached the MU incorrectly. What makes DK good (outside of Ding Dongs which most of Lurr's games were null), are his tilts and damage racking. Killing isn't his strong suit so long as the opponent isn't doing anything crazy or predictable.

His aerial prowess is kinda average IMO. Yes he has a DECENT bair (it's decent cuz it really extends his hurt box, shallow size for a character that big, can be unsafe on hit even with sweet spot at low percents, low scaling prevents it from killing center stage) and a strong uair (not much to contend with here). The rest of his kit is held back by something dumb. Nair is frame 10, with low damage, 17 frames landing, puny hotboxes (uair hits FARTHER in front than Nair does.... Sakurai why tho), but can sometimes hit confirm. Fair does 16%, but hits frame 18 with 29 frames of landing lag and just horrid FAF. Dair is good tho with 16% and sets stuff up a lot, but is frame 14 with 18 frames (can't remember this one off hand) on landing. That stuff for dair don't bother me tho, its the good for nothing sour spot that sends opponents nowhere. His TOP airspeed is pretty good, bit that air acceleration is cheeks.

So yeah, them tilts. Well, I will be lying if I said DK don't have some good tilts. They all share a common trait tho, they miss up close. Only u tilt doubles as a kill move and combo tilt. Anyway, all DK needs is his Brawl ftilt/dtilt since it had range and spaced really well and hit a frame earlier. For ftilt especially, gaining 4 frames of extra lag made DK mains kinda drop it from their repitoire since it is already frame 9 and doesn't ever kill and unsafe on hit.

In fact, DK has so many moves unsafe on hit at low to mid percents. Jab 1, bair, dsmash, dtilt, dtilt, Nair, Hand Slap, SK, Headbutt.

His jab is average. I mean, it never kills, it kinda sets up at higher percent, it frame 5 and 25 FAF, and has somewhat shallow range, but eh what can you do?

His smashes are weird. All of them are so much weaker from Brawl it ain't even funny. Dsmash lost it's aerial hit box, gained a lot weaker sour spots, smaller hit boxes too. Usmash has slightly larger hit box, but it still is small and much weaker. The move has a scooping motion but doesn't scoop opponents from the ground leaving DK in an awkward position to hit grounded opponents. Fsmash is so weak cuz of the angle it sends people at and the hit boxes are still cheeks with the ability to miss pont blank.

But even with all these banes for DK, one asks, how is he still good? One word: flow.

The natural flow of some of DK's most notbale moves mean that racking or baiting damage is easy. Racking damage and having at least one option to kill with reliably is what makes characters good in this game. Lucky for DK, racking and killing come hand in hand.

Back to my statement about how Void approached the MU.....why was he trying to straight up fight DK? The easiest method to beat DK is passively play and make him recover on ledge. Even if you miss the edge guard, DK on ledge is the worst character. Ledge attack is so bad, ledge roll is so bad, ledge getup is the best of a bad situation, but is still so bad, ledge jump is OK. Having no true Fair means that getting up is gonna be a bad time. ZeRo has exploited this in the past with M2K at Pax Prime and here again at 2GG. Void could have easily dome the same.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Uhhhhhh.......Void simply approached the MU incorrectly. What makes DK good (outside of Ding Dongs which most of Lurr's games were null), are his tilts and damage racking. Killing isn't his strong suit so long as the opponent isn't doing anything crazy or predictable.

His aerial prowess is kinda average IMO. Yes he has a DECENT bair (it's decent cuz it really extends his hurt box, shallow size for a character that big, can be unsafe on hit even with sweet spot at low percents, low scaling prevents it from killing center stage) and a strong uair (not much to contend with here). The rest of his kit is held back by something dumb. Nair is frame 10, with low damage, 17 frames landing, puny hotboxes (uair hits FARTHER in front than Nair does.... Sakurai why tho), but can sometimes hit confirm. Fair does 16%, but hits frame 18 with 29 frames of landing lag and just horrid FAF. Dair is good tho with 16% and sets stuff up a lot, but is frame 14 with 18 frames (can't remember this one off hand) on landing. That stuff for dair don't bother me tho, its the good for nothing sour spot that sends opponents nowhere. His TOP airspeed is pretty good, bit that air acceleration is cheeks.

So yeah, them tilts. Well, I will be lying if I said DK don't have some good tilts. They all share a common trait tho, they miss up close. Only u tilt doubles as a kill move and combo tilt. Anyway, all DK needs is his Brawl ftilt/dtilt since it had range and spaced really well and hit a frame earlier. For ftilt especially, gaining 4 frames of extra lag made DK mains kinda drop it from their repitoire since it is already frame 9 and doesn't ever kill and unsafe on hit.

In fact, DK has so many moves unsafe on hit at low to mid percents. Jab 1, bair, dsmash, dtilt, dtilt, Nair, Hand Slap, SK, Headbutt.

His jab is average. I mean, it never kills, it kinda sets up at higher percent, it frame 5 and 25 FAF, and has somewhat shallow range, but eh what can you do?

His smashes are weird. All of them are so much weaker from Brawl it ain't even funny. Dsmash lost it's aerial hit box, gained a lot weaker sour spots, smaller hit boxes too. Usmash has slightly larger hit box, but it still is small and much weaker. The move has a scooping motion but doesn't scoop opponents from the ground leaving DK in an awkward position to hit grounded opponents. Fsmash is so weak cuz of the angle it sends people at and the hit boxes are still cheeks with the ability to miss pont blank.

But even with all these banes for DK, one asks, how is he still good? One word: flow.

The natural flow of some of DK's most notbale moves mean that racking or baiting damage is easy. Racking damage and having at least one option to kill with reliably is what makes characters good in this game. Lucky for DK, racking and killing come hand in hand.

Back to my statement about how Void approached the MU.....why was he trying to straight up fight DK? The easiest method to beat DK is passively play and make him recover on ledge. Even if you miss the edge guard, DK on ledge is the worst character. Ledge attack is so bad, ledge roll is so bad, ledge getup is the best of a bad situation, but is still so bad, ledge jump is OK. Having no true Fair means that getting up is gonna be a bad time. ZeRo has exploited this in the past with M2K at Pax Prime and here again at 2GG. Void could have easily dome the same.
Void really should have beaten larry game 3. But he missed about 4 50/50s in a row.

It shows that sheik is vulnerable if she is unlucky.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
That was a player to player MU. He knows when Void does the dthrow uair so it was easy pickings for Lurr.

Yikarur

Smash Master
That Ranking should've listed at least Top4 though. Because Top4 is the last placing not shared with anyone, I think fourth is as valuable as third. (and I got fourth at Touch The Throne with Yoshi / Mii Brawler :p )

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I wasn't gonna go hunting through full results of 12 tournaments. The podiums were posted so analyzing just them is fine.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I need to start spreading out into the Atlantic South tournaments, so as I search the tournaments forums, I'm just going to ask, anyone know of what competition there may be, and what characters are highly used? I'm going to look for some MUs to see if I can train more for them as Link and my nine other guys.

Oh, and will anyone let me know of any new tournament results that are good for some low and bottom tier characters? Just asking so I can find the matches later on.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
  • Nothing from :4falcon::4yoshi::4wario2::4peach: and :4luigi: only placed as a secondary in the second smallest tournament. These are all characters who I noted as trending down in results.
One weekend is not large enough a sample size to say they're trending down.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Radical Larry Radical Larry this is not a social thread. Even the times when you've asked for frame data/frame data comparisons is borderline and definitely something you can do yourself

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
One weekend is not large enough a sample size to say they're trending down.
"These are all characters who I noted as trending down in results." As in, noted previously. I have been noting it for weeks and this is a continuation of the trend.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
User was warned for this post
Apparently with people taking jokes out of context, I have something serious to say; I've been starting to get multiple JV3 videos on opponents with Link and Cloud primarily, and whenever I do, I am always beaten by the opponent in the match prior, which is silly, but then I just start going at them. I fought against some good players, but always often win the sets with JV3s.

Nevertheless, digressing, I should say that I've been improving against ROB with all of my characters, and I'm starting to have more skills to avoid being hit by his Gyro and Beam projectiles, as well as avoiding and punishing his grabs. I haven't realized how good Link can be against ROB if I just start using D-Throw > Spin Attack and stopped air dodging without jumping, or just retaliating ROB's D-Throw with D-Air. All I just have to do is block ROB's aerials, slower ground attacks and Smashes and I am good; so with more knowledge, I think ROB can actually be an even for Link, as long as I can avoid those Gyros, which are very pesky and annoying to me.

I'm going to be heading to a tournament soon, possibly this weekend to show off my abilities to other people.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
See that's the thing, what can you really give Kirby that doesn't exist somewhere else? Better airspeed? Nope, that's Jigglypuff's thing. Disjoints and ultrafast aerials? Meta Knight (also even more ground speed). It's the same logic with some customs: why does Mii Gunner have better homing missiles than Samus? Because Samus has even better homing missiles with Relentless.

Speaking of Meta Knight, he's pretty much Kirby's foil in that inexperienced players likely won't do well with him at all, but can be taken much further if you put the time into him.
If you think about it, everything Kirby can do, Meta Knight simply does better. Better combos, faster mobility actually has decent air speed), superior recovery, more fearsome KO power, longer range, and more frightening edgeguarding. The only real difference is that MK trades Kirby's lower landing lag for generally faster startup, and startup is generally much more valuable than ending and landing lag, so Kirby probably loses in overall frame data as well.

So basically, Kirby's character design is completely invalidated by his rival's existence. I guess MK will always be the face of the Kirby series in Smash Bros. May he always be top 10. Amen.

Last edited:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
"jokes"
"out of context"
I
I've
I
I
I
I
I
I've
I'm
I
I
I
I
I
I
I'm
Since you're resorting to the favorite excuses of idiots, I thought I'd go ahead and put some things in context.

Larry, Smashboards is not your blog. Larry, not only is Smashboards not your blog, this topic specifically is not your blog.

We don't care, Larry. We don't care about your skills, we don't care about which characters you're playing, we don't care about the results of your online matches against whatever random it was today. Post it elsewhere.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
So out of 37 known characters across these podium finishes, we have the following appearances:

:4diddy:x6
:4sheik:x5
:4greninja:x3 (!!!)
:4cloud::4zss::4rob::4bayonetta: :4sonic::4mario:x2
:4metaknight::4fox::4dk::4marth::4ness::4pacman::4ryu::4wiifit::4luigi::4kirby::4villager::4littlemac::4tlink:x1

Notes:
  • This is by no means a perfect ranking because all these tournaments weren't equal in size/player quality, but it gives us a basic results breakdown.
  • The standout result is Greninja getting more appearances than any other character besides Sheik and Diddy, including a bunch of top tiers. Also notable is iStudy beating Gregs' Sheik. This character is riding a wave of momentum and is emerging as a serious threat.
  • Strong showings from the x2 group with no real surprises, though ROB appearing twice is pretty neat.
  • An appearance from Pac-Man might suggest the character still has some legs, though he was used as a secondary to Greninja.
  • Solo Mac and Kirby getting an appearance is neat but it's notable that these were both at the smallest tournaments.
  • EDIT: Miscounted Diddy's placings. He actually had one more than Sheik. Further proof of how good he still is.
  • 12 of the emerging top 14 (BR's top 13 + Bayo) are present here with 7 appearing more than once, proving the power of this group. The MIA top tiers are :rosalina: and, surprise surprise, :4pikachu:
  • Nothing from :4falcon::4yoshi::4wario2::4peach: and :4luigi: only placed as a secondary in the second smallest tournament. These are all characters who I noted as trending down in results. In tier list terms, I think they will settle in the top ~25 but not the top 20.
  • Curious absence of :4pit::4darkpit: as well, though they have never been hugely popular. Also nothing from :4myfriends: or :4lucario:
I didn't do farther than top 3 cuz it was already a pretty long post, but Ike did have good results this weekend nonetheless with Waldo placing top 8 and beating Marss at GUMS 6, and SM beating Tyrant at 2GGT: EE Saga. Also Day 4th with Lucario at Tampa Never Sleeps 6. And I would be foolish to miss falln's performance at 2GGT: EE Saga as well, he played amazing to get 4th place there with Rosalina.

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Since we are talking about characters on the decline, let's talk a bit about Falcon. Is it really a general consensus that :4tlink::4myfriends: and :4rob: are worse than Falcon (looking at the official tier list)? They all seem to do better vs the top tiers, and have better results (particularly Tink and Ike). Particularly with the bair and uair nerfs, I never thought Falcon was even in contention for top 10, and now with the multiple DLC characters that are just flat out better than him (:4cloud::4bayonetta::4ryu:), he might not even be top 15. Falcon is in a similar situation as :4greninja: imo where his viability is hindered by :4sheik:. It's hard to argue the MU is any better than 30/70 for the Falcon/Shiek MU. So, Tink, Ike, and Rob all have better results and a better MU on at least Shiek. Why is he still considered better?

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Since we are talking about characters on the decline, let's talk a bit about Falcon. Falcon is in a similar situation as :4greninja: imo where his viability is hindered by :4sheik:. It's hard to argue the MU is any better than 30/70 for the Falcon/Shiek MU. So, Tink, Ike, and Rob all have better results and a better MU on at least Shiek. Why is he still considered better?
For the same reason :4pikachu: is considered top 5: some characters are just overrated.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Since we are talking about characters on the decline, let's talk a bit about Falcon. Is it really a general consensus that :4tlink::4myfriends: and :4rob: are worse than Falcon (looking at the official tier list)? They all seem to do better vs the top tiers, and have better results (particularly Tink and Ike). Particularly with the bair and uair nerfs, I never thought Falcon was even in contention for top 10, and now with the multiple DLC characters that are just flat out better than him (:4cloud::4bayonetta::4ryu:), he might not even be top 15. Falcon is in a similar situation as :4greninja: imo where his viability is hindered by :4sheik:. It's hard to argue the MU is any better than 30/70 for the Falcon/Shiek MU. So, Tink, Ike, and Rob all have better results and a better MU on at least Shiek. Why is he still considered better?
I have felt for quite a while now that Falcon is worse than :4myfriends::4rob::4tlink: and :4yoshi::4mewtwo: as well. Possibly :4corrin: now too. Falcon's only good state is advantage, and it's not strong enough to make up for his mediocre neutral and awful disadvantage. Doesn't help that he's kind of a one trick pony, and easy to gimp in a game where that is far from commonplace. He's upper mid tier imo.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Ike and Rob's viablity is hindered by Sheik/Zss respectively. It's a mid-tier problem where they struggle with sheik/zss.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I don't think the Ike Sheik MU is bad. Ikes grab reward and damage output make it pretty doable.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
I don't think the Ike Sheik MU is bad. Ikes grab reward and damage output make it pretty doable.
If he gets hit though he's taking a ton of damage. Sheik is Ike's worst matchup. The zero suit one is manageable. Recent results are showing it may be better than we thought.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
At the top level it probably is.

I'm not aware of any ikes posting notable wins vs any sheiks (Zero, False void cacogen ramin vinnie, k9sbruce, Karna)

im not sure if akiro has lost to ryuga but that might be the only exception.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
If he gets hit though he's taking a ton of damage. Sheik is Ike's worst matchup. The zero suit one is manageable. Recent results are showing it may be better than we thought.
Similar to his circumstances in Brawl, where he got destroyed by the best character. Though the matchup isn't completely impossible. I'd like to see Ike mains counter pick Cloud or something since there's no reason why someone should walk into a matchup that poor.

:4mewtwo: has completely impressed me as of late.
:4greninja: not so much. Greninja's always been good.

Apparently with people taking jokes out of context, I have something serious to say; I've been starting to get multiple JV3 videos on opponents with Link and Cloud primarily, and whenever I do, I am always beaten by the opponent in the match prior, which is silly, but then I just start going at them. I fought against some good players, but always often win the sets with JV3s.

Nevertheless, digressing, I should say that I've been improving against ROB with all of my characters, and I'm starting to have more.....etc etc
Just don't know when to stop.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Douglas is not high tier guys. I been saying this.

Who does he beat thats good? Cloud is prolly his best top tier match which is even imo.

The others **** him up imo.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
http://youtu.be/c1ULrTKw2NQ

Did we at all talk about Pug beating Marss at their weekly?
Late, but since I'm making a post anyways, I will address it.

If you spent the last year playing vs a Marcina, you know where their rising FAir hit. You've trained yourself to powershield when you expect it.

And now it's significantly longer and your timing is off by 1 or 2 frames and you just get hit by it every time when you feel like you're shielding in time. (Cri)

Only happened once in that set, Marss got hit by a rising FAir and kind of did a double take not expecting to be hit. Buffs helped them a lot and I'm expecting them to make some noise. We see it in Seattle, at least.
This thread would be better off if he was just banned from posting in it.
Ignore button. Use it and stop cluttering an analysis thread with repeated attacks on the people who post in it.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Oh. He does alright vs Rosalina honestly. They both destroy each other in advantage but it's fairly even in neutral, maybe slightly in Falcon's favor there.

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
Douglas is not high tier guys. I been saying this.

Who does he beat thats good? Cloud is prolly his best top tier match which is even imo.

The others **** him up imo.
I though Falcon did well against :rosalina: :4fox: :4sonic: :4metaknight:. Are these now considered to be poor MUs for him now?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I have felt for quite a while now that Falcon is worse than :4myfriends::4rob::4tlink: and :4yoshi::4mewtwo: as well. Possibly :4corrin: now too. Falcon's only good state is advantage, and it's not strong enough to make up for his mediocre neutral and awful disadvantage. Doesn't help that he's kind of a one trick pony, and easy to gimp in a game where that is far from commonplace. He's upper mid tier imo.
CAPTAIN FALCON has a mediocre neutral? CAPTAIN FALCON?

It's like everybody who isn't Sheik gets called out for having a "bad" or "lackluster" neutral. Like, Bayonetta you can kind of make the argument because her frame data is kind of slow, but she makes up for it with amazing mobility. Falco has excellent pokes and tilts but is on the slow side so people think he's kind of bad at neutral. Yoshi has trouble with shields. Those are all arguable, but there are points to be made, and you can say their neutral has noticeable to even major flaws.

Where in the world are Captain Falcon's noticeable flaws in neutral because I sure as heck can't see them!

One of the best dashes in the game. An amazing jab and strong tilts. Smash attacks that are surprisingly safe. Bair is safe. Up Air is amazing. Bar none the best dash grab in the game.

Falcon doesn't lack mobility in the ground or in the air, he doesn't lack speed and safety on his attacks, and he most certainly doesn't lose to shield. In fact, he's above average or better in all of those categories. He kind of has issues with certain characters' neutrals, things like Sheik Needles and Mega Man's everything, but against most of the cast he's a threat.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

It's like everybody who isn't Sheik gets called out for having a "bad" or "lackluster" neutral. Like, Bayonetta you can kind of make the argument because her frame data is kind of slow, but she makes up for it with amazing mobility. Falco has excellent pokes and tilts but is on the slow side so people think he's kind of bad at neutral. Yoshi has trouble with shields. Those are all arguable, but there are points to be made, and you can say their neutral has noticeable to even major flaws.

Where in the world are Captain Falcon's noticeable flaws in neutral because I sure as heck can't see them!

One of the best dashes in the game. An amazing jab and strong tilts. Smash attacks that are surprisingly safe. Bair is safe. Up Air is amazing. Bar none the best dash grab in the game.

Falcon doesn't lack mobility in the ground or in the air, he doesn't lack speed and safety on his attacks, and he most certainly doesn't lose to shield. In fact, he's above average or better in all of those categories. He kind of has issues with certain characters' neutrals, things like Sheik Needles and Mega Man's everything, but against most of the cast he's a threat.
Long initial Dash>shield and mediocre walk. Iffy rising aerials/unorthodox FAir. Slow tilts. Tall humanoid hurtbox.

But yeah, he's p. Good. I'm just being nitpicky.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher

Yeah, bit of an overstatement on my part, but in most matchups his neutral has never felt threatening to me. Maybe because it seems pretty straightforward. His disadvantage is baaaaaad though, so maybe it just takes the edge off his neutral in practice.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
At the top level it probably is.

I'm not aware of any ikes posting notable wins vs any sheiks (Zero, False void cacogen ramin vinnie, k9sbruce, Karna)

im not sure if akiro has lost to ryuga but that might be the only exception.
SM beat Void many patches ago. Like 1.0.4. Right after Ike became actually playable. And the MU has obviously gotten better since then with the patches.

Its a doable MU, but certainly his worst.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I've been having my opinion on Falcon dropping as well, not precisely because I think the character is bad, but more because I think there are other characters who are just simply doing better than him such as Toon Link, Ike and maybe to a lesser extent Greninja and Lucario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom