• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Smash 4
Smash
Smag
Smogon OU Singles

Sorry. I just had to.:036:

Jokes aside, I think you have the right idea with your list there ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ . I think you should add :4ryu: to the list since he has that main worthy status too. Ryu struggles against Diddy, and some zoners, right? So maybe:4mario:? Any ideas?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Finalized the region map to my liking for the time being.

Gets most of the nuances I wanted for the time being using a county map variant.

Fenny

Smash Ace
So I started playing around with Mewtwo because wynaut

And I honestly think I'm in love with him.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Since we're on the topic of sheik...

Sheik used to lose no matchups at all. Then 1.1.6 happened and she became less of a problem.

What matchups does she lose now, if any at all? Going purely off of results it seems like top level Marios have been doing pretty well against top level Sheiks. That godly combo breaking nair, amazing frame data and mobility, and of course his infamous upsmash all probably make that matchup even. When your opponent struggles at killing but you have a button that beats out their aerials and kills off the top, that's a pretty significant advantage.

Aside from that I think sheik's matchups are all probably still really good theoretically.
I still think Lucario might be a possible struggle for her, what with lightweight on Sheik and simply reading BF recovery can be cakewalk for Lucario.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I still think Lucario might be a possible struggle for her, what with lightweight on Sheik and simply reading BF recovery can be cakewalk for Lucario.
What else though? That can be used for any character, as in her lightweight and BF read can be done by anybody. That's just whats wrong with her, I'm wondering what Lucario can really do to her. To me she can just keep messing up his recovery with either needles or Nair right?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Jokes aside, I think you have the right idea with your list there ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ . I think you should add :4ryu: to the list since he has that main worthy status too. Ryu struggles against Diddy, and some zoners, right? So maybe:4mario:? Any ideas?
I could've added other characters such as Bayonetta or Ryu in my list but that would not have been the point I was trying to make. More than anything else I just want to challenge the prevalent opinion that Cloud is by default the go-to secondary and I wish more people would do the same. It just doesn't seem like a smart thing to uselessly let the metagame 'degenerate' into a Cloud-fest when choosing Cloud as your counterpick character oftentimes it's not even the optimal thing to do from a competitive point of view. A lot of the recent complaints about Cloud seem really unnecessary and often based on poor decision making rather than anything related to Cloud himself.

Like, exactly what is it that keeps people from picking up Sheik and emulating things that Void / Mr r / Zorai do to beat Cloud players? It's not like Sheik isn't an entirely viable character already.

:059:

Djent

Smash Champion
AFAIK there are no huge upsets so far, buuut:
stuff like this makes me wish pools were being streamed.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

Pressing a Jump input when a midair jump cannot come out will cause your character to footstool an opponent if they are in range during the next ten frames. However, Ledge Jumps don't allow you to buffer your next input.

Because all Ledge Jumps last 12 frames, you can only avoid a buffered footstool if you input an action exactly on Frame 13. The footstool timing is made easier by the fact that you cannot footstool an opponent who is invincible on the ledge.

If the victim gets footstooled and doesn't move away, they will hit the ground almost immediately, allowing you to get into position for a strong punish. If they do move away, they will still be able to attempt a recovery, but they will not have ledge invincibility if they grab the ledge while coming back.

Because most players on the ledge react to an opponent getting close with a buffered ledge option, dropping to the ledge while holding Down to avoid grabbing it, then double-jumping can bait out the response for an easy footstool. If they wait, ledge trumping becomes a viable punish. Buffering a Ledge Roll is punishable on reaction by many characters, and Ledge Attack is pretty risky.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
stuff like this makes me wish pools were being streamed.
I'm probably getting the context wrong, but I just stumbled upon videos of Neokan #2's pools. Not much so far; just 6 videos so far, so there might not be much for some of you. There's Elexiao and the rest... going off of the tournament preview thingie, spotted Latzo, one of the "Forbidden One" players. Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAGIr55p4Z6y-OLaO9wayOj9rTLpVnTGb. Here's a match of the "Forbidden One": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9S8TMKWBOg.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
I'm probably getting the context wrong, but I just stumbled upon videos of Neokan #2's pools. Not much so far; just 6 videos so far, so there might not be much for some of you. There's Elexiao and the rest... going off of the tournament preview thingie, spotted Latzo, one of the "Forbidden One" players. Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAGIr55p4Z6y-OLaO9wayOj9rTLpVnTGb. Here's a match of the "Forbidden One": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9S8TMKWBOg.
Pikachu is my favorite Yugioh card as well

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Pikachu is my favorite Yugioh card as well
My favorite is Cloud, but you have to fuse Marth, Shulk, and Ike to summon him... Oh, and what's your favorite Pokémon card? Mine's Yoshi because Fairy/Dragon is boss. :p

No, seriously though, because Pikachu is treated as a pseudo-red topic, I'm going to refer to Pikachu as the "Forbidden One" from now on. EVEN IF IT BECOMES UNBANNED AS A PSEUDO-RED TOPIC, I WILL STILL CALL PIKACHU THE "FORBIDDEN ONE".

Anyway, really liking watching Neokan #2's uploaded pools.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
What else though? That can be used for any character, as in her lightweight and BF read can be done by anybody. That's just whats wrong with her, I'm wondering what Lucario can really do to her. To me she can just keep messing up his recovery with either needles or Nair right?
True. But those don't kill on their own. Lucario at high percents can travel farther and faster. A Lucario at max aura from way below the ledge near the pit can recover straight up to the ledge. But that's beside the point. Lucario can do the same thing amount of damage at aura as Sheik in fewer hits. Aura Sphere goes through needles iirc.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Greninja I feel benefits more from a Mewtwo secondary than a pocket Cloud
Can confirm.

Pretty much everyone :4greninja: has trouble with, :4mewtwo: either beats or goes even with, besides maybe :4pikachu: (not sure whether Mewtwo wins or loses this MU), which is still a doable MU for the frog.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Greninja has no issue with Pikachu.

If ESAM is calling it even, you know it's a good MU.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice

Pressing a Jump input when a midair jump cannot come out will cause your character to footstool an opponent if they are in range during the next ten frames. However, Ledge Jumps don't allow you to buffer your next input.

Because all Ledge Jumps last 12 frames, you can only avoid a buffered footstool if you input an action exactly on Frame 13. The footstool timing is made easier by the fact that you cannot footstool an opponent who is invincible on the ledge.

If the victim gets footstooled and doesn't move away, they will hit the ground almost immediately, allowing you to get into position for a strong punish. If they do move away, they will still be able to attempt a recovery, but they will not have ledge invincibility if they grab the ledge while coming back.

Because most players on the ledge react to an opponent getting close with a buffered ledge option, dropping to the ledge while holding Down to avoid grabbing it, then double-jumping can bait out the response for an easy footstool. If they wait, ledge trumping becomes a viable punish. Buffering a Ledge Roll is punishable on reaction by many characters, and Ledge Attack is pretty risky.
NotALuigiMain [who I'm not sure browses this forum or not] had an interesting comment on the Reddit thread:

This changes the ledge game.

The reason ledge trumping isn't heavily used is because you can easily buffer a get up option, and to avoid that, you have to do the ledge trump frame perfectly. This option allows you to pressure the only good bufferable ledge option, Jump. Roll is super slow, and attack gives you very little invincibility frames. Now that you can beat out the one good bufferable ledge option, ledge trumping becomes more viable, as there is a reason NOT to buffer something immediately.

Roll and Attack become actually usable mixups, but the frame data on these is really bad. I'm sure that, once labbed, you can get into some sort of position in which you can footstool a Jump option from the ledge, BUT also be able to cover Roll and Attack on reaction, making all bufferable ledge options just 1 option, and everything else another option, beaten out by ledge trumping.

Puff has one of the best air speeds in the game. Can this be important for her? Can we finally get a Puff that can edgeguard?
So is this going to end up being a big deal for ledge mixups?

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
ANTi posted on Twitter his top 10 in the game:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

1. :4cloud:
2. :4ryu:
3. :rosalina:
4. :4diddy:
5. :4fox:
6. :4sonic:
7. :4zss:
8. :4sheik:
9. :4mario:
10. :4mewtwo:

I thought this might be relevant to share here, since ANTi just won a huge tournament, and is the best example of the new counter pick meta that lots of people believe we are entering.

Some interesting observations:

• Here is yet another top player who thinks :4ryu: is much, much better than his current results suggest.
  • In contrast with common consensus here, ANTi places neither :4diddy: nor :4sheik: in his top 3, despite the fact that he uses both. Sheik doesn't even make his top 5.
  • :rosalina: makes his top 3. In the comments, Dabuz expresses his disagreement. ANTi answers by suggesting Dabuz isn't exploiting her edgeguarding capabilities enough, and says that M2K's Rosa is a good example of how strong the character is at edgeguarding.
  • While :4mario: is probably his most used character, ANTi places him down at 9th.
  • :4cloud: is ANTi's pick for best in the game. It makes me wonder what his thoughts are on the Sheik matchup, since it would be weird to pick as your number 1 a character who loses to (statistically speaking) the most competitively successful character in the game. Of course ANTi has plenty of characters to CP Sheik with, so maybe that has something to do with it.
  • When asked where :4pikachu: is: "Mid tier lolol"

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Neokan top 64

Ixis :4sonic: vs :4bayonetta: Biglink
Greward :4megaman: :4bowser: vs :4cloud2: Mahie
Deimos :4zss: :4ness: vs :4peach: Starkorn
Rydle :4bayonetta: vs :4palutena: Uriko
Yoren :4sheik: :4cloud2: vs :4lucario: :4olimar: DoubleC
OurOuzBek :4ryu: vs Nyrelhos :4robinf:
Enki :4pikachu: vs :4ness: Kido
Latzo :4pikachu: vs :substitute: Wari
Griffith :4bayonetta: vs :substitute: C7A
Shido :4mario: vs :4falcon: MT
Pefo :4sonic: :4cloud2: vs :substitute: Dazed
Soreru :4diddy: vs :4luigi: Fila
C.R.Z :4fox: vs :4samus: Gijsbeer
Anoer :4falcon: vs :4luigi: Krycken
Marcbri :4diddy: :4cloud2: vs Tjuskar :4pikachu::4ludwig:
Jila :4falcon: vs BJay :4sheik:
Gluttony :4wario2: :4falcon: vs :4falcon: Ogey
Hoe4u :4pikachu: vs :substitute: Slax
Scarhi :4shulk: vs :substitute: Manko
Samplay :4marth::4cloud2: vs RiVer :4mewtwo:
Yatta :4mario: vs :4luigi: Tag
Nin' :4diddy::4rob: vs Volya :4villagerf:
Khanage :4peach: vs Smuff :4mario:
PikaForLife :4pikachu: vs :4pikachu: BasiCS.nova
Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman: vs :substitute: Rolia
VinS :4link: vs :4fox::4sheik: Gregs
Vanaheim :4rob: vs :4feroy: Serew
Purner :4duckhunt: vs. :substitute: Kadaj
Homika :rosalina: vs :4littlemac: Thomau5
Nack :substitute: vs :substitute: Pomme Sawyer
S1-14:4ness: vs :substitute: Ether
AA-Amiin :substitute: vs :4shulk: Sahone

WTFox 2 Top 24

ZeRo :4diddy: vs :4diddy: Player-1
Mew2King :4cloud2: vs:4falcon: Fatality
Dabuz :rosalina:vs :4ryu: DarkShad
Mr. R:4sheik: vs :4megaman: Scatt
---
Jester :rosalina: vs :4kirby: Emperor Eevee
Mahgnittoc :4diddy::4bowserjr: vs :4zss: Winks
Brawlman1000 :4sonic: vs :4ryu: Ronin X
PK Blueberry :4lucas: vs :4mario: Big Ox
Typo|CC :4sonic: vs :substitute: Rython
Sandbag :4fox::4cloud2::4dk: vs :4yoshi::4zelda::4ness::4corrinf:Danbi
Wizzrobe :4sheik: vs :4luigi::4drmario: Cyan Can
Xanos :4lucas: vs :4mario: Kid Carlton

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Neokan top 64

Ixis :4sonic: vs :4bayonetta: Biglink
Greward :4megaman: :4bowser: vs :4cloud2: Mahie
Deimos :4zss: :4ness: vs :4peach: Starkorn
Rydle :4bayonetta: vs :4palutena: Uriko
Yoren :4sheik: :4cloud2: vs :4lucario: :4olimar: DoubleC
OurOuzBek :4ryu: vs Nyrelhos :4robinf:
Enki :4pikachu: vs :4ness: Kido
Latzo :4pikachu: vs :substitute: Wari
Griffith :4bayonetta: vs :substitute: C7A
Shido :4mario: vs :4falcon: MT
Pefo :4sonic: :4cloud2: vs :substitute: Dazed
Soreru :4diddy: vs :4luigi: Fila
C.R.Z :4fox: vs :4samus: Gijsbeer
Anoer :4falcon: vs :4luigi: Krycken
Marcbri :4diddy: :4cloud2: vs Tjuskar :4pikachu::4ludwig:
Jila :4falcon: vs BJay :4sheik:
Gluttony :4wario2: :4falcon: vs :4falcon: Ogey
Hoe4u :4pikachu: vs :substitute: Slax
Samplay :4marth::4cloud2: vs RiVer :4mewtwo:
Yatta :4mario: vs :4luigi: Tag
Nin' :4diddy::4rob: vs Volya :4villagerf:
Khanage :4peach: vs Smuff :4mario:
PikaForLife :4pikachu: vs :4pikachu: BasiCS.nova
Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman: vs :substitute: Rolia
VinS :4link: vs :4fox::4sheik: Gregs
Vanaheim :4rob: vs :4feroy: Serew
Purner :4duckhunt: vs. :substitute: Kadaj
Homika :rosalina: vs :4littlemac: Thomau5
Nack :substitute: vs :substitute: Pomme Sawyer
S1-14:4ness: vs :substitute: Ether
AA-Amiin :substitute: vs :4shulk: Sahone

WTFox 2 Top 24

ZeRo :4diddy: vs :4diddy: Player-1
Mew2King :4cloud2: vs:4falcon: Fatality
Dabuz :rosalina:vs :4ryu: DarkShad
Mr. R:4sheik: vs :4megaman: Scatt
---
Jester :rosalina: vs :4kirby: Emperor Eevee
Mahgnittoc :4diddy::4bowserjr: vs :4zss: Winks
Brawlman1000 :4sonic: vs :4ryu: Ronin X
PK Blueberry :4lucas: vs :4mario: Big Ox
Typo|CC :4sonic: vs :substitute: Rython
Sandbag :4fox::4cloud2::4dk: vs :4yoshi::4zelda::4ness::4corrinf:Danbi
Wizzrobe :4sheik: vs :4luigi::4drmario: Cyan Can
Xanos :4lucas: vs :4mario: Kid Carlton
damn that is a lot of pikachu

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Greninja I feel benefits more from a Mewtwo secondary than a pocket Cloud, mainly because of the Sheik matchup and because Mewtwo does fine against Greninja's other major losing character, Sonic. Pikachu is a similar matter, Mewtwo not only covers Sheik whom Pikachu has an awful record against but also Mario. Cloud just doesn't really help either of them.

Them Pokemon gotta stick together.

:059:
I would agree that Mewtwo is the better secondary for Greninja overall. Cloud does help, though, by virtue of being easy to use and one of Sonic's worst MUs. At this stage I wouldn't jump to say Cloud does better against Sonic than Rosalina but, again, he is significantly easier to use. Pocketing Cloud for opposing pocket Sonics isn't a bad idea.

In my opinion:

Greninja requires the option of a secondary for Sheik and Sonic.

It's worth having the option of a secondary for Rosalina, Diddy, Fox, Cloud and ROB (I'm not alone here as aMSa was knocked out of Pound by a ROB and Eddy has a fairly average record against LoNg0uw).

Mewtwo covers everyone there pretty well except Diddy, who I think is the main weakness of the Greninja/Mewtwo combo.

Yikarur

Smash Master
stream for neokan? I'm really sad that I didn't make it :(
it's sad that neokan is not really representing the meta with germany being absent but we just couldn't make it because of housing issues :(

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@BlueberrySyrup or PK Blueberry as he's otherwise known is the Lucas who forced the Olimar switch out of @Dabuz (interested to hear your thoughts on this MU if you get the time). He said he also felt he could have won against Olimar too / it was close.

Don't know who the Jr was, could it have been Mahgnittoc?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
stream for neokan? I'm really sad that I didn't make it :(
it's sad that neokan is not really representing the meta with germany being absent but we just couldn't make it because of housing issues :(
According to this article, http://smashboards.com/threads/tournament-preview-neokan-party-2.438856/, they're using Dailymotion; I think this is the main stream and it's Smash 4 right now: http://games.dailymotion.com/event2give/x43nd0x. As of this posting, there's Sonic dittos between Ixis and Pero.

Also, streamed matches have been uploaded on Forward Smash on YouTube. There's even pools! Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAGIr55p4Z6y-OLaO9wayOj9rTLpVnTGb. Was watching Homika vs. Thomau5 before checking here for Neokan #2 stuff.

Edit: Yeah, other stream is on Smash 4 doubles: http://games.dailymotion.com/Team-E2G/x4h4ax3.

Edit 2: Edit Harder:
Neokan top 64
Manko plays Cloud. Well, he did in this pools match of Neokan #2 against Elexiao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qyyLXkCID0&index=1&list=PLAGIr55p4Z6y-OLaO9wayOj9rTLpVnTGb. Also, I think it would be ironic if Kadaj was a Cloud main.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Dabuz 3-2s ZeRo, but it doesn't mean much considering ZeRo got janked by Lylat game 4 when he had a comfortable lead/position.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Apparently what happened was Cloud's jab made him slide off lylat somehow while it was tilting at the same time.
This stage is so buggy, why Sakurai. You ruined this and Delfino so badly, how could this happen.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Anyone else find it funny Mr. R was talking up crossup bair > f-smash on twitter a couple of days ago and is already getting important kills with it?

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Mr. R 3-1's ZeRo and knocks him out of the tourney.

Edit: Mr. R goes Link vs Dabuz in game 1 of GF and gets 2-stocked.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Anyone else find it funny Mr. R was talking up crossup bair > f-smash on twitter a couple of days ago and is already getting important kills with it?
This should've been made a normal option over a year ago since the properties of these back airs are common knowledge. The key is not to cross up with your movement, but hit the opponent with the front hitbox of your back air to bait the opponent into grabbing OoS.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
So, anyone want to explain why Mr. R is playing as Link right now?

He went back to Sheik now. :o

Mr. R lost to Dabuz. Maybe he'll drop Sheik for Cloud or Diddy Kong.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Look Mr.R, it's great that you collected all the masks, but what you really need is more heart containers.

Also, it's becoming clearer that it's Sheik, not Diddy, who has a Rosalina problem.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
@BlueberrySyrup or PK Blueberry as he's otherwise known is the Lucas who forced the Olimar switch out of @Dabuz (interested to hear your thoughts on this MU if you get the time). He said he also felt he could have won against Olimar too / it was close.

Don't know who the Jr was, could it have been Mahgnittoc?
Assuming I've got the names right, Taiheita has beaten Atelier more than once in Japan, so this MU has gone on at a high level before and seems to be around even if not in Lucas's favor.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I almost believed that this was a disguised attempt to show Nintendo that Rosalina invalidates lower tiered characters, lol.

Mr. R apparently said this was a test run so that he didn't have to try it at EVO tho.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Dabuz 3-2s ZeRo, but it doesn't mean much considering ZeRo got janked by Lylat game 4 when he had a comfortable lead/position.
We take those? I know that ZeRo got janked, but it's a tournament set and Dabuz got the W. It's got to mean something lol.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
w̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶"̶m̶e̶l̶e̶e̶"̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶m̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶4̶ ̶s̶t̶re̶a̶m̶s̶ ̶

Dabuz flexing on everyone atm. The matchup also looks rough for Sheik at the moment. He even made Cloud look pretty free.

Rosa up-airs her way up the tier list

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom