• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
"Solo-viability" has this implicit compound-ambiguity that more or less prevents any consistent or meaningful discussion of the concept in any concise, comparative way. It simply means something too different to everyone.

No, this isn't an invitation to tell us all what your definition is. Don't make me make this a red topic, I swear...

Anyway, we had a bunch of posts about buffing, nerfs, and balance. Consider me #triggered, so everyone is in for a mod-splaining.

The big secret is to not think about character balance in terms of power level like how you discussed your favorite Dragon Ball Z characters in middle school, but about differentiation. Or the characters', in the term Sakurai uses, dynamic range.

Take Ness. One of the big defining traits about Ness is that Ness has great throws. The best throws, especially b-throw.

If Ness b-throw was the same as every other character, that would be lame. All the characters in the game would be the same in that way. Why even have Ness in the game?

On the other hand, what if Ness b-throw instantly killed any character at 15% damage? That would be really stupid, and it doesn't have anything to do with power level! Even if every character had something that powerful, a 15% insta-kill b-throw would still be incredibly stupid.

So an under-tuned b-throw is bad, and an over-tuned b-throw is bad the opposite way. Logically, there exists* some ideal intermediate value between the two that gives us the best compromise of giving Ness a tool that is simultaneously unique and empowering to his character identity, without degenerating gameplay to where Ness consists only of that move.

*Sometimes a game mechanism can be flawed in its design such that no middle ground exists to be found, but in this context we can regard that as somewhat rare. This applies to very, very few moves that exists in Smash 4 1.1.6.

Once we understand this, buffing and nerfing isn't that complicated or a valid source for ideological consternation:
  • When a unique trait exceeds its optimal value, we bring it down.
  • When a unique trait falls short of its optimal value, we consider bringing it up.
Why do we only consider it? Because often times, if we are seeking to improve a weak character that is experiencing problems, more of the same medicine that isn't working in the first place might not solve the problem. (Sometimes it can! But usually alternative solutions that still fit within the characters creative space are needed.)

A lot of really silly people like to bring up Melee as some sort of grand refutation of balance as a virtue; this crops up about once every two months or so.

All I'll say is that Melee's high level play has only survived because of the reasonable balance that exists solely in the Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik/Puff microcosm, and the handful of viable matchups select high-tiers have against those. Melee would not still be relevant if it consisted entirely of Fox dittos, and I don't think anyone would claim otherwise. Brawl was poisoned by having a single outlier character, even though his standard deviation from the rest of the cast as a whole was less than than the top five Melee characters.

It's foolish to act like Melee's balance is anything but terrible, and it's equally foolish to act as if Melee has survived in spite of that balance. The less dramatic truth is that the balance within the top-tier subset of Melee that is played competitively is simply good enough.

IN CONCLUSION: The only moves in Smash 4 that "exceed their optimal value" to define their character, and probably warrant a small nerf, are Limit Cross Slash and maaaybe Ryu cheese--which is exactly what Shaya was already saying. An argument could be made for DK/Bowser throw combos, but I'm having trouble being sympathetic. (Contrast with Luigi, whose crap was far more egregious and antithetical to his design.)

Given that future patches appear unlikely and will not be based on discussion in this thread, I would advise not wasting time on such thoughts here.
I think there is a reason why there are sometimes complaints about seemingly irrelevant moves (like you were saying in the case of R.O.B.'s reflector). There are moves in this game that belong to perceived "weak" characters such as Link's barrage of projectiles, or even Zelda's ladder Up-B that do not make the character they belong to overpowered, but are overbearing in their own right. While I may disagree, I would not be surprised by someone complaining about Zelda's Up-B ladder when considered in a vacuum. It is a move that launches an opponent to the blast zone and then has a finisher that can kill earlier than 70% in some cases. This move alone doesn't save Zelda from her position as a low-tier, however, by itself it could be considered overbearing.

That, in my opinion, is why certain moves are complained about and become synonymous with being "annoying". It's also the reason why any character can have a property that is annoying, regardless of viability. For example, sometimes I feel that Marth's tipper can be a bit overbearing, despite the fact that Marth is a mid-tier character (for the purposes of this example). His Smashes are relatively fast, hard to punish, and can kill at 40% if sweetspotted. So, hypothetically, I could complain about a move like that being annoying and that could hold no matter where Marth is on the tier list.

So, I believe that is why there have been discussions, such as that one about R.O.B.'s reflector, where people complain about a move in a vacuum, not taking into account the character's core viability.

I've been confused about the term "ending lag"... Are they what I call idle frames? Or am I missing a key concept of smash? Also as an old Toon Link main I feel as though Toon Link is what Link should have been, with the bomb combos. It may just be me but over all TL>RL

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Perceived top characters with results to back it up: :4cloud: :4fox: :4diddy: :4mario: :4megaman: :4mewtwo: :rosalina: :4ryu: :4sheik: :4sonic: :4zss:

And now for a shocking fact: this group includes several characters who lose at least one matchup badly.

Mario seemingly has problems with at least Rosalina and Sonic, Mega Man has been said to die against Sheik, Rosalina struggles with MK and Cloud, and ZSS has a tough time against Diddy. Ryu might honestly have a bad MU vs Mega Man along with a bunch of other zoners (as well as grapplers) and Sheik likely loses to characters who have a decent neutral with vastly higher reward or similar reward but a recovery that she can't touch. No idea about Mewtwo, Sonic, Fox, Cloud or Diddy, but I can think of losing MUs for all of them with confidence except the last two.

And yes it would be super nice to have a top tier MU chart (that doesn't include Luigi pls) made by well-informed or experienced people.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Link's range (and frame data, coincidentally) are worse than a good majority of the viable swords in this game. His damage output is good and the master sword feels very meaty, but he would rather have range and better tilts for spacing.
Which moves in particular do you think need more range?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Gonna have to respectfully ask for you to elaborate on this one.

I asked a similar question last Wednesday and only got one response for it, so I'm open for clarity. Is it solely because of Waveguider's and John#s's results?
What you said is part of the equation but not the full thing. I'll try to be brief about it.

1. She only has one BTFO bad match up. This character is Kirby, a character that is rarely used and very easily counterpicked. Like Yoshi or Villager, her match up spread among the top/high tiers is slightly good, slightly bad or largely even. Her bad match ups usually boil down to things like sudden reflectors from carelessness or the occasional whiff thanks to a character's height. When a pro Wii Fit loses, it's usually close sets instead of being led around by the nose the whole time. All in all, her match ups in those tiers are largely balanced and doable.

2. The nerfs to Cloud, Bayo, Sheik, and ZSS were actually a big deal. Like Ike, Megaman, and Greninja, she saw many of her most annoying match ups become a lot more manageable and arguably winning depending on who you ask.

3. No major weaknesses and she's almost never at an extreme disadvantage in a situation. Again, her match up spread is pretty balanced and nothing about her is super exploitable. Kirby is the exception because the character is basically a giant WFT counter from the ground up (short, can copy one of her best moves, isn't afraid to go after her off stage, etc). She also boasts one of the game's best offstage game s, one of the better recoveries, and the ability to consistently heal and trigger a pseudo rage state.

This said, I continue to rank her alongside characters like Yoshi, Luigi, and Toon Link, solid characters even if they aren't typically walking away with major tournaments.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I'd think Sheik would at least struggle to Lucario. From what I've seen, Sheik seems to have a lot of trouble killing, and Lucario loves that.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Perceived top characters with results to back it up: :4cloud: :4fox: :4diddy: :4mario: :4megaman: :4mewtwo: :rosalina: :4ryu: :4sheik: :4sonic: :4zss:

And now for a shocking fact: this group includes several characters who lose at least one matchup badly.

Mario seemingly has problems with at least Rosalina and Sonic, Mega Man has been said to die against Sheik, Rosalina struggles with MK and Cloud, and ZSS has a tough time against Diddy. Ryu might honestly have a bad MU vs Mega Man along with a bunch of other zoners (as well as grapplers) and Sheik likely loses to characters who have a decent neutral with vastly higher reward or similar reward but a recovery that she can't touch. No idea about Mewtwo, Sonic, Fox, Cloud or Diddy, but I can think of losing MUs for all of them with confidence except the last two.

And yes it would be super nice to have a top tier MU chart (that doesn't include Luigi pls) made by well-informed or experienced people.
It's really frightening that we are already considering Mega Man a top tier...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
He said "perceived top character".

And since Mega Man is one of the selected few characters in the game that won major tournaments solo that's not an inaccurate estimation.

:059:

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
It's really frightening that we are already considering Mega Man a top tier...
How come? MegaMan was underrated since the beginning. For Kamemushi and Scatt to come out of basically nowhere and then preform the way they have been, (Granted, Kame has been doing a lot better recently than Scatt in terms of results.) shows that there's more to this character than we all thought.

Besides, it's exciting to see a character originally perceived as "not that great" to maybe having the capabilities to survive on a national level.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's reach is still good vs non-disjointed characters. It got worse by comparison since other characters like Marth/Lucina/Ganon got reach buffs and DLC characters like Cloud were added.
The devs are treating Link's CQC like he's a super heavy rather than a swordy. He has great power and damage per hit but slow frame data.

:c

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
It's not hard to have considerably higher reward than Sheik at this point when several characters need literally half the damage to get their kill, or hell even a third of it if edgeguards end up being a non-factor.

Wouldn't be surprised if she lost to several characters out of Diddy, Rosalina, Mewtwo, Lucario, Ryu, Sonic, Cloud, Bowser or DK at this point while decisively beating very few. The last two probably get bopped too hard offstage (perhaps Cloud as well), but I can't imagine the matchups being anything less than highly stressful for Sheik due to killing them at 180% and dying at 60%.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Link's reach is still good vs non-disjointed characters. It got worse by comparison since other characters like Marth/Lucina/Ganon got reach buffs and DLC characters like Cloud were added.
The devs are treating Link's CQC like he's a super heavy rather than a swordy. He has great power and damage per hit but slow frame data.

Huh. Sounds like Link has to be played with spam.

Joey T.

Smash Cadet
Can we count Ness, Bayonetta and Meta Knight out of Top-Tier status already? I mean, the last two seems reasonable since they lost their main tool, but Ness is still a big threat, even though he loses badly to Rosalina. Is that match up terrible enough to keep Ness out of Top Tier?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
How come? MegaMan was underrated since the beginning.
Mega Man wasn't underrated, it used to be easy enough to just pick Sheik and beat him. There's a reason Kamemushi didn't do very well up until recently.

:059:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
I think on paper Sheik still has no losing matchups but in practice, where people go on tilt and start throwing out unsafe options like an Usmash at the ledge to kill someone at 180 while you could just keep trapping them(all Sheiks, Mr. R/VoiD/k9 etc included, have these habits) she definitely loses to Ryu without a doubt.
The minute you start cracking with Sheik Ryu steamrolls you and one misspaced aerial or downtilt ends up getting you killed at 50-60 consistently.
The whole "optimal Sheik" thing is extremely easy vs Lucario/Bowser because although killing him onstage can be stressful edgeguarding him is insanely easy and he falls prey to landing traps very easily.
So I'd honestly say she goes even with Diddy/Rosa/M2/DK and beats Lucario and Bowser but Ryu feels like her only losing MU in this game.
Not enough information on Sonic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo was considered a loss after some time.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Why are we so hung up on solo-viability? With a cast this large and (relatively) balanced compared to other Smash games, a backup character for bad MUs or mere comfort is practically a necessity at top level play. 42 of the PG top 50 have tournament level secondaries or pockets; of those, around 6 are just for fun/occasional local use (Seagull Joe's :4roy:, Nick Riddle's :4marth:, etc). And yet we still talk about solo viability as if it's a true test of a character's worth, while it often seems more like a handicap in reality. Rather than stigmatizing the very existence of a secondary/pocket, we should strive to look at how each are used - something we've had a mixed record on in the past. Claiming that Abadango's use of Meta Knight takes away from the success of his Mewtwo at Pound come off as small-minded, but Leo's use of Cloud and Marth has largely overshadowed the accomplishments of his MK... despite the fact that neither of the former two managed to take a set outside of pools at GOML. How we treat each case seems to come down to how each fits into our perceived narrative of each character - M2 ascending, MK descending - rather than reflecting reality. Basically we shouldn't discredit a character when a player chooses not to use them for any number of reasons, we should instead credit the character they do use.

(Sorry if this rambled a little; I'm still pretty sleepy.)
My :4roy: can beat people in the top 50 of that list.

:018:

Pancracio17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pancracio17
what about shiek vs lucario? thats seems like a really tough and frustrating matchup vs shiek, dabuz also claims rosa beats shiek and i agree with that.

Last edited:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna take a second and say something.

I can understand accepting the current state of balance in the game. What I can't ever understand is being content with it.

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
Nah megaman was in limbo (upper mid tier-low high tier), because he wasn't a popular pick, and was destroyed by sheik, who was the most popular character at top level play, then she was nerfed, and ,megaman does fine against :4cloud::4bayonetta:(this isn't as important as pre patch):4diddy::4ryu: , so basically he is what :4greninja: mains think would happen to the viability of their main if sheik were nerfed, good to know that they were accurate, well aside of the character.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I think Sheik vs Lucario is at least -1 for Sheik. Sheik does so much damage but can't secure a stock very easily, and Lucario just kills her off of one good read at around 60% when Lucario has high Aura/Rage. I don't think it's that pretty.

Cloud, DK, and Bowser still get bopped super hard offstage by her, though.

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
Link actually has some pretty good spacing moves: Fair, Bair, Ftilt and jab come to mind. Fair in particular is formidable, I don't wanna be anywhere near those sword swings. His zoning is good; I feel like his neutral game plan isn't as dysfunctional as everyone assumes, his main problem is his disadvantage state. No combo breakers, fairly large humanoid target, lacklustre recovery because of very poor airspeed and meh Up-B. Although this is salvaged somewhat by Zair.
I feel like his neutral game plan isn't as dysfunctional as everyone assumes, his main problem is his disadvantage state. No combo breakers, fairly large humanoid target, lacklustre recovery because of very poor airspeed and meh Up-B.
No combo breakers
This is why Link's disadvantage state is so abysmal. The other traits are bearable and reasonable, but having no combo breakers is what pushes his disadvantage state from Ike's level to DK's level. If Nair was frame 3 (hell, I'd take frame 4 or 5), he'd have a much better time.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Hmm. I'd always thought he was underrated because of the lack of representation and with some saying he lacks the tools to survive at a higher level.

Regardless of how he was looked at, the fact of the matter is that MegaMan is on a come-up right now. That could be due to the top tier nerfs. But I don't see anything that'll slow him and other MegaMan players down anytime soon.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
This is why Link's disadvantage state is so abysmal. The other traits are bearable and reasonable, but having no combo breakers is what pushes his disadvantage state from Ike's level to DK's level. If Nair was frame 3 (hell, I'd take frame 4 or 5), he'd have a much better time.
I think you're overrating his disadvantage a bit. Link is heavy but he is not as big as a target as DK is.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I think Sheik vs Lucario is at least -1 for Sheik. Sheik does so much damage but can't secure a stock very easily, and Lucario just kills her off of one good read at around 60% when Lucario has high Aura/Rage. I don't think it's that pretty.

Cloud, DK, and Bowser still get bopped super hard offstage by her, though.
https://youtu.be/dEMbt-Y-mPM
This is why Zero had to switch to Diddy Kong from Sheik in this bracket: Zero was against a Lucario.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm just gonna take a second and say something.

I can understand accepting the current state of balance in the game. What I can't ever understand is being content with it.
I mean, let's be fair, the character balance has been pretty on point and we've gotten a lot of character variety. A lot of the cast can stand a chance.

Kinda sad :4jigglypuff:, :4zelda:, :4ganondorf:, etc aren't apart of that lot though, unfortunately.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048

Very true. It doesn't even make sense; Link is never some heavyweight, sluggish monster in the games, he's always swift and agile, and usually with good reach.

your signature is incredible btw

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Heads up, y'all - OneSmash dojo is up. May or may not be relevant to this thread, but there's a comprehensive list of Sm4sh techs and situations there.

http://www.onesmash.net/dojo/

Maybe your character - or a character we're complaining about has more options than you think. Maybe a combo you thought was true isn't.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
What's left to complain about except really undertuned characters?
Well, I guess the fact that they're probably never going to fix those undertuned characters is something to complain about.

We're approaching the two year anniversary for this game, and after all that time, Jiggs and Zelda remain as useless as they were in Brawl, Ganondorf is still slow and bad (but not quite as bad as he was in Brawl), Shulk still has ass frame data, Palutena still kinda sucks without customs (as do the Miis), etc. The balance in Smash 4 is still generally good, it's just sucks for the characters that actually are bad.

Last edited:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
...Did you seriously just ask that question?
Is that sarcastic, condescending rhetoric really necessary? The guy doesn't share your woes about the metagame, and maybe he'd see your point if you actually explained yourself instead of responding with such an attitude.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess the fact that they're probably never going to fix those undertuned characters is something to complain about.

We're approaching the two year anniversary for this game, and after all that time, Jiggs and Zelda remain as useless as they were in Brawl, Ganondorf is still slow and bad (but not quite as bad as he was in Brawl), Shulk still has *** frame data, Palutena still kinda sucks without customs (as do the Miis), etc. The balance in Smash 4 is still generally good, it's just sucks for the characters that actually are bad.
Yet Palutena gets results (#1 by Prince Ramen at GOTE isn't just nothing, she gets more results than Greninja for example and is likely underrated based on results), Ganondorf (thanks to popularity or what not) gets better results than half the cast according to Das Koopa, etc.

The fact is that basically every character can and has hit a top 32 in a 100+ man tourney it seems, which is great to see. I'm pretty sure @Das Koopa can back up that statement (except perhaps certain Miis because they often aren't legal). If I'm not mistaken even Jigglypuff hit #17 at a recent big regional (was it Paradigm Shift?).

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Heads up, y'all - OneSmash dojo is up. May or may not be relevant to this thread, but there's a comprehensive list of Sm4sh techs and situations there.

http://www.onesmash.net/dojo/

Maybe your character - or a character we're complaining about has more options than you think. Maybe a combo you thought was true isn't.
The frame data in that page is not up to date, its still showing zard's fair as having 31 frames of landing lag for example.
Zard's fair had 31 frames of landing lag. How did people argue zard was not bottom tier back then.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Well.......... that's gonna he hard to come back from

A few stuff though:

• :4sheik:, :4zss:, and :4bayonetta: nerfed
  • :4mewtwo:Is now top 15 and potentially top 10 because Abadango won Pound using almsot solo Mewtwo. Nairo and Dabuz got upset before top 8 in that same tourney
  • :4megaman:is MUCH better because Kamemushi is dominating japan and being the only consistant player.
  • :4marth:is being majorly overhyped and overrated because Pugwest and Mr E are getting results.
  • :4feroy: Is now bottom 15 and most think he is bottom 10

Along with a TON more
There are more Marth's than just Mr. E and Pugwest. They're just the two biggest Marth players.

Since his buffs Marth has been getting a steady stream of consistent high level results that match his theory. He has a strong neutral, offstage game, a frame 1 combo breaker, and great kill power.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
How much does Kamemushi use his secondaries? Did they contribute at all towards his recent placings?

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Is that sarcastic, condescending rhetoric really necessary? The guy doesn't share your woes about the metagame, and maybe he'd see your point if you actually explained yourself instead of responding with such an attitude.
He included a reasonable answer to his question in his post.

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/dEMbt-Y-mPM
This is why Zero had to switch to Diddy Kong from Sheik in this bracket: Zero was against a Lucario.
yet at the same time you have sets like this . and especially in zeros case, it could have been a comfort pick rather than a counter pick, what i mean by that is, while sheiks mu vs lucario may be even, or potentially in her favour, its definitely an extremely stressful mu for her, so why the hassle when you can go diddy, who has reliable kill confirms? i mean zero also went diddy vs sheiks to avoid the ditto, yet he himself claims that, pre-patch at least, sheik vs diddy is in sheiks favour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom