• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Welcome to Japan, where consistency does not exist in any way, shape or form.

Edit: Komorikiri was knocked into losers by a Sheik/Cloud player named Mangalica and then eliminated by Rima's Toon Link.

:059:

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Komo lost to Ri-ma :4tlink:; I don't know who he used in winners or losers as he was not on stream once AFAIK.

x3 :4falcon:
x2 :4tlink:
x1 :4dk:
x1 :4wario2:
x1 :4pit:
x1 :4lucas:
x1 :4peach:
x1 :4mario:
x1 :4marth:
x1 :4ludwig:
x1 :rosalina:
x1 :4greninja:
x1 :4sheik:/:4cloud2:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
FullMoon FullMoon No it was Oi$hitofu. Kero Drowned in pools
The doller sign is a S because Smashboards senser thingy is horrible

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Will be nice to see a good Japanese result for the frog. He's been quiet over there lately.

In theory ZSS should be able to completely disrupt this kind of Sonic play because her burst with dash grab is greater than Sonic's burst with spindash. It's also disjointed, so Sonic can only lose by switching between spindash and shield. He has to move around and use rolls, dodges and jumps to avoid getting dash grabbed and thus play more traditionally.

Would be nice to see how it plays out in practice though.
Greninja can do this too actually. His grab is less disjointed but he has better burst than pretty much every other tether grabber besides ZSS. Sonic is still a bad MU for him but he does have a lot of positives in the MU (big one - if you corner Sonic you can suffocate him with shuriken frame data as he can't retreat outside its range) which make me wonder if MU inexperience plays a big part in Greninja's bad record against him.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja can do this too actually. His grab is less disjointed but he has better burst than pretty much every other tether grabber besides ZSS. Sonic is still a bad MU for him but he does have a lot of positives in the MU (big one - if you corner Sonic you can suffocate him with shuriken frame data as he can't retreat outside its range) which make me wonder if MU inexperience plays a big part in Greninja's bad record against him.
No, the MU is just really bad even if Greninja does have some perks

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Not to say I disagree but this could use some more explanation.
Sonic still run circles around us, using shurikens can be risky just because of how fast he is, he's almost impossible for us to gimp and he's really hard to hit since most of Greninja's combo starters have high start-up and so building damage on him is also really hard. Meanwhile Sonic is getting like 25% with each Spin Dash he hits us with giving him better and more consistent damage racking, he can edgeguard us better than we can edgeguard him, plus he also has a pretty good kill throw as a stock cap.

There's just too much going against Greninja in this MU. Still, if Greninja manages to get in he can do well against Sonic and when the hedgehog is above us he's at least easier to deal with. It's doable, but I don't think MU inexperience has anything to do with it. My country is absolutely filled with Sonic players and this MU has never gotten any easier for me.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Cant wait for people to stop thinking Ryu's overpowered confirm game is hype when the entire community ******* about KO setups at 130 and Bayonetta.
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Chill fam.

But seriously Ryu has limitations keeping his confirms in check. If he had Sheik's fair, Greninja run speed, regular aerial acceleration and Marth walk speed then yes I would say nerf Ryu into the ****ing ground.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Nasubi's wario is out at 5th place. Its a good result for him. Meanwhile Earth and Hikaru are in winners finals, and its a pit vs DK match going on

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Serious post about Wrath now. It was honestly unexpected (and unfortunately unpleasant) to see such a defensive Sonic, since his strongest representatives have moved toward tempered aggression. I don't recall seeing anyone play like that since the StaticManny of old. However, I feel like StaticManny's camping focused on using Sonic's mobility to run away from the opponent; on the other hand, Wrath's camping is centered around creating a low commitment threat by continuously using shield canceled Spin Dash, and leaving his opponent guessing when he'll release it. This style honestly seems incredibly difficult to deal with if the opposing character has no consistent or high reward tool for dealing with Spin Dash and shield mix-ups, and I could see it being optimal Sonic play in many MUs. If that is the case, you would basically be playing a large number of guessing games to try and call out Spin Dash until you build a big enough lead such that this style becomes unfeasible; Sonic holds all the cards in this scenario.

Also, I'm surprised Larry's DK lost so badly to Trela. DKWill beat Venom fairly handily at GOML last weekend, and while Trela is stronger than Venom, Venom is no slouch with Ryu. Larry just was not able to land grabs, and spent most of the match in DK's horrid disadvantageous state. I personally feel this is a decent MU for DK, since he's able to space outside of Ryu's effective range with his tilts and bair, and can pivot grab approaching aerials given Ryu's very committal jumps. I think Emblem Lord Emblem Lord said something about this MU being good for DK as well, and he'd probably be able to enunciate it much better and more accurately than I can.
It's probably around 55/45 DK. Will said DK loses slightly I think, but that's just not possible when DK can outfootsie Ryu consistently with that transcendent dtilt of his. Pivot grab is the easiest response to a Ryu jumping at you and DK's gives him good reward and a kill confirm from 80% to about 100%. Window to kill isn't huge so he definitely needs to be on point, but this is something that no one else in the game can do. Make Ryu fear death before he invokes the same fear in his opponent. Ryu however doesnt really care about Bair or some of DK's other stuff and he can ledge trap him harshly and edgeguard him pretty viciously with very easy spikes due to DK's hitbox. Of course any error by DK results in easy shoryu confirms, DK is just too huge. It's not easy for DK, but that grab confirm of his is enough to make me give him the nod.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Invigorated by the power of THE iDOLM@STER, Earth wins.

Pit really is well-rounded, and it was crazy awesome to see Earth beat Hikaru's DK when Pit is exactly the kind of character (medium damage, low to medium kill power) that DK generally does well against.

In general, it's interesting to see what characters are given forward kill throws (Pits, Bowser, Bayo, Wario?).

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Love how diverse japans meta is,
had chars like
:4pit::4tlink::4wario::4dk::4falcon::4lucas: in top 8
Also some people may look at it as inconsistensy but I love how you never know who's gonna win, makes it exciting.

And Go Earth! thanks for keeping our meta alive.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

Pit really is well-rounded, and it was crazy awesome to see Earth beat Hikaru's DK when Pit is exactly the kind of character (medium damage, low to medium kill power) that DK generally does well against.

In general, it's interesting to see what characters are given forward kill throws (Pits, Bowser, Bayo, Wario?).
Bayo's is pretty weak but yeah, it's definitely interesting. A killing Fthrow is much better than a killing Bthrow. That's probably why not many characters have them. Still not as good as a killing Uthrow most likely but in some situations they can be better (depending on what percentage everything kills, of course).

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman

fwiw Lucas also has a killing f throw, though with dthrow uair and uthrow there's never really any reason to use it, unless you've staled uthrow for some odd reason :/ and Diddy and sonic could potentially be considered kill throws too though both definitely don't kill at good kill throw %s

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

The disjointed daggers come in handy against fists.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
pit's juggling game is absolutely incredible, not surprising that he would beat a character like dk. especially trapping him at the ledge.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Pit's anti air attacks are easily top class.

Up air, Nuetral Air, Up smash, dash attack, and upper dash arm are great at denying landings. It's one of the few top tier traits he actually has.

I'm not suprised at all that he won if his opponent used :4bowser::4littlemac::4dk:. Pit eats their landings up for breakfast.

:150:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Pit's anti air attacks are easily top class.

Up air, Nuetral Air, Up smash, dash attack, and upper dash arm are great at denying landings. It's one of the few top tier traits he actually has.

I'm not suprised at all that he won if his opponent used :4bowser::4littlemac::4dk:. Pit eats their landings up for breakfast.

:150:
Truth.

People think Pit is average at everything, however his ability to juggle and deny landings is probably top 5 in the game. Obviously it works best on characters with poor disadvantaged states like the above three (and ideally he would have better run speed), but still.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Pit does well against fatties... Intangible or not Pit's swords usually beat out their tilts in my experience.

Pit's Uair ain't killing without a platform or two, but the crazy thing is that it SHACs on top of being active for 14 frames and being more disjointed then Cloud's. If he misses for whatever reason at fullhop height or higher (probably because of a double jump or air stall) he can FF and throw out more hitboxes from there. Other swordies have to either sit through endlag long after the hitbox is gone or wait for an autocancel. Since it's got good vertical and horizontal hitboxes he can challenge just about anything in the game at least somewhat safely, too. Like I've said before even things like Cloud's Dair mean nothing to him.

Against Little Mac... Guardian Orbitars make him sad, lol. Assuming it wasn't a total blow out I'm guessing he lost a stock to the move somewhere in there.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
wrath :4sonic: 3-1 over lord mix :4bowser:

3 attempted suicides, only 1 succeeded. wrath won game 4 exclusively off of failed suicide attempts.

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
The second suicide on game 4 was definitely not intentional. Mix was always at high % when he grabbed and whoever has the lower % has the highest degree of control on side B's aerial movement.

That said I'm pretty sure the first one was intentional, and he should have guessed after seeing sonic almost make it back on battlefield (really deep low blastzone) that he would make it back on T&C.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sumabato didn't have a lot of top tier character representation but it's a good showcase of how [high-]mid tiers fare against each other. There were tons of sets that included Pit, Toon Link, Wario, Lucas, Marth, Falcon, DK and Peach fighting each other. If that's your kind of thing then you should definitely look forward to videos that will be uploaded eventually.

:059:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
What could Ally have done differently in the match up against Wrath?
As in what options does he have?

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
What could Ally have done differently in the match up against Wrath?
As in what options does he have?
Stop running into spin dash and Wrath PS. Also bad airdodges are bad.

EDIT: Also good job to wrath for properly reacting to Ally's unorthodox options consistently.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Since no one ever posted full results for Sumabato:

1) Earth :4pit:
2) Sigma :4tlink:
3) HIKARU :4dk:(:4wiremac:)
4) Mangalitza♀ :4cloud2:(:4sheik:)
5) Tsu~ :4falcon:
5) Nasubi :4wario2:
7) Taiheita :4lucas:
7) Kie :4peach:
9) Fuwa :4marth:
9) YuriAIR :4falcon:
9) Tatsutsuyo :4mario:
9) Ri-ma :4tlink:
13) Atelier :rosalina:
13) Oisiitofu :4greninja:
13) Hatsuyuki :4ludwig:
13) Eda :4falcon:

NOTE: This is Category 1 by @Das Koopa's standards. For his sake I only included characters that have confirmed game wins.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
This Sonic is ****ing awful. Jesus Christ

EDIT: The minute he has to approach, he loses. Garbage

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom