• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

my_T

Smash Journeyman
:4ness:'s kit means that even with some weak mobility and neutral tools, his sheer damage output and kill potential means he can just ~win~ games, even in situations where it looks like he should lose. That's why it's hard to rank him
Not calling you out personally, as others have made this same argument not only with ness but with other characters of his likeness.

The problem with this argument is that it's a bit optimistic. It merely implies that the opponent will make a mistake at the right times in the right situations to where you can just win. It's definitely possible for this to happen but it's much too reliant on the players actions and not the character itself.

Take jiggs for example. If the freakin stars align she can gimp the entire roster at any given percent and take a stock early by landing a rest. DK can literally take stocks at like 50-80 percent (weight dependent) with Ding Dong. Ganon can kill super early if he gets offstage and lands a dair spike...If the stars align

The problem with these types of characters is that they're literally designed to make you struggle to get anything. They tend to have mediocre neutrals and/or mediocre disadvantage state to balance out there strong kill options/power and in most cases strong advantage state.

The player using these types of characters are often required to outplay their opponent almost solely off of fundamentals in a lot of match-ups or the opponent just has to make a mistake. You're not just going to land a rest, you're not just going to get that edge guard opportunity, and you're not just going to get the grab. Their neutrals are often not strong or safe enough to force these outcomes and their disadvantage states are often bad enough to where they take just as much damage as they can deal.

It's no secret that a strong majority of the top tiers have a strong or passable neutral and a strong or passable disadvantage state, not the other way around.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Yet its still the best out of the swordies outside of Meta Knight. Rest got no range horizontally, just maybe a stall and a quick straight up. Ike at least has a shot of flinging himself back on stage before the opponent can set up to edgeguard.

Really swordies in general are kinda crap off stage when they travel more than a few feet away from the ledge.
This is your daily reminder that Pit exists.

Also, the Links have a tether grab, Marcina's is really quick, and Corrin and Roy can move theirs diagonally (though they have other issues aside from horizontal distance)

Routa

Smash Lord
>People talk about Swordies and their recovery
>No one mentions Swordspider

It is understandable that people forget Swordspider. I mean who uses that ****, eh?
Swordspider has really good recovery if SSD is chosen (Hero's Spin is mediocre at best as recovery tool, Stone Scabbard is bad, AA is good distance wise but easy to stop and SL is like Ike's but FAR easier to edgeguard due to free fall after hit). What is SSD? Well it is like Fox's but with more favourable hitbox placing and slightly more travel distance. Swordspider can anti edgeguard with smashed Chakram and Gale Strike (or SoL if chosen) and he also can stall in mid air with Gale Strike and "Cape". He is hard to edgeguard due to his good anti edgeguarding game along with SSD mixup... Unless you have a Counter. Counter destroys his recovery as badly as Ike's.

Overall I would say that he has 2nd best recovery (when SSD is combined with Chakram) from Swordies.

Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
>People talk about Swordies and their recovery
>No one mentions Swordspider

It is understandable that people forget Swordspider. I mean who uses that ****, eh?
Swordspider has really good recovery if SSD is chosen (Hero's Spin is mediocre at best as recovery tool, Stone Scabbard is bad, AA is good distance wise but easy to stop and SL is like Ike's but FAR easier to edgeguard due to free fall after hit). What is SSD? Well it is like Fox's but with more favourable hitbox placing and slightly more travel distance. Swordspider can anti edgeguard with smashed Chakram and Gale Strike (or SoL if chosen) and he also can stall in mid air with Gale Strike and "Cape". He is hard to edgeguard due to his good anti edgeguarding game along with SSD mixup... Unless you have a Counter. Counter destroys his recovery as badly as Ike's.

Overall I would say that he has 2nd best recovery (when SSD is combined with Chakram) from Swordies.
I've seen your posts and why uh..

why do you call them swordspider?

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Autocorrect is 0/10 match-up.

Anyways guys I think you guys just need to look at this spreadsheet. It's frame data. I feel many of you are just optimistic and you need some cold hard data in your face to realize the difference in power.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OWFwy_dg04Rrq4a-YF9-VDOhZI/edit#gid=524475654

Take a look at some of these chars that many you just call "underrated" then compare that data to idk Diddy and you will see what I mean. Particularly shield safety, especially on sword chars and some other crazy buttons like M2 d-tilt, Marcina Nair and the like. Also look at Pikachu...the data DEFINITELY is not there guys.

There ARE gaps in power.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
This is your daily reminder that Pit exists.

Also, the Links have a tether grab, Marcina's is really quick, and Corrin and Roy can move theirs diagonally (though they have other issues aside from horizontal distance)
Pit isn't considered a sword character by most.

Greward

Smash Lord
I want to make sure that people know which character I mean 'cause Swordfighter can be used to refer to any Sword user. Also Swordspider sounds cooler.
what about swordsmii? it's actually shorter and people will know what you're talking about

Illuminose

Smash Ace

Anyways guys I think you guys just need to look at this spreadsheet. It's frame data. I feel many of you are just optimistic and you need some cold hard data in your face to realize the difference in power.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OWFwy_dg04Rrq4a-YF9-VDOhZI/edit#gid=524475654

Take a look at some of these chars that many you just call "underrated" then compare that data to idk Diddy and you will see what I mean. Particularly shield safety, especially on sword chars and some other crazy buttons like M2 d-tilt, Marcina Nair and the like. Also look at Pikachu...the data DEFINITELY is not there guys.

There ARE gaps in power.
Maybe you need to take a second, stop being facetious, and realize that raw frame data/shield safety is not everything that matters. Obviously frame data matters, but it's kind of ignorant to just say 'look at the numbers because they prove something'. This is a content-less post with meaningless information...come on, you can do better.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's not everything.

But it's a whole lot of something. A whole lot of something that helps separate viable chars from unviable ones.

Don't be so naive.

Not going to comment on your claims of my ignorance or being facetious, but I will say you used those words incorrectly and leave it at that.

See mods. DO YOU SEE?!?!?

I CAN play nice.

*folds arms and pouts

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
What are people's thoughts on :4samus: now? She seems much better post-buff but IDK much about her MUs.
Probably still low tier. Her MU spread is alright just because she is in general an adaptable/flexible character. The exception is the Pika MU where there is no room for flexibility because about half of her moves can actually consistently hit Pikachu. The vast majority of her MUs fall within the -1, 0, +1 range. I think she has alright MUs (which definitely doesn't mean advantaged) against Cloud, Bayo, Mewtwo, Rosa, Ness, Luigi, Ike, and possibly Sheik, but notable disadvantages against Fox, MK, Sonic, Mario, Diddy, ZSS, and above all, Pikachu. Most midtiers have better top tier MU spreads.

I think that despite the disparity in results, Joker is probably the best Samus right now. He has such a strong combination of Samus knowledge, general game knowledge, technical ability, and adaptability (though he rolls a lot). He is just so good and I wish he would go to more majors.

I love that Jonny Westside puts Samus in the spotlight, but he makes so many mistakes all the time. For instance, he had a really close set with K9 about six months ago when K9 was really hot, and he would have won, but he kept spamming down b every time he got juggled, and eventually K9 just killed him with uair. About a month later he had that set with ZeRo where he took a game. The last game was close, and then every time he was in the air he spammed down b and ZeRo up aired him and killed him. Then a couple days ago when he played K9, it was really close and he once again spammed down b in the air every time he got juggled and got killed. Doing this against Sheik is awful enough, but I'm just trying to imagine him doing this against Larry or someone. He also somewhere along the road decided that using usmash at totally random times is good, he rolls too much, he tries to shield grab moves that can't be shield grabbed, etc.

However, he knows Samus very well and his offensive mixup game is really strong. I would say that's why he has been getting his results, in tandem with nobody knowing the Samus MU (although at this point some of these SoCal people who play him a lot have to know the MU pretty well). If his current trend continues, I do not think we will continue to see results from him. But if he fixes some stuff, he could be amazing. In spite of all of this, however, he is for sure the only Samus main that can boast any really big wins, and he does it surprisingly (very) consistently, frequently making top 8 in SoCal, which really just stuns me.

Esam's Samus is pretty bad, but possibly the most publicly visible, which is unfortunate. There are actually quite a few strong regional Samus's scattered around as well that accumulated what I thought at one point were the results of a mid tier character, and now I really doubt it.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
While we have been playing the game ~a year, we haven't been playing this game for a year. Launch Diddy, Shiek, ZSS and Rosalina were a huge stumbling block for many characters. Shiek has only just become a reasonable character, and while her players aren't used to the (admittedly often extreme) effort required to get kills, she is still an extremely viable fighter. Diddy is still a ***** for lots of characters, and you get fatigued vs top level diddies because you probably fought 3 in your pool who were surprisingly good but you used some stuff that shouldn't have worked, and then it doesn't work and nuetral is so hard... blah. At least people are learning to use the banana.

Anyways, I think even if a character isn't totally viable, they still often have redeeming MUs. Shiek is still really unpleasant for Megaman, but god damn it is nice having a solid Diddy MU that, while maybe just even, really makes him struggle and change his gameplan.

We see top level players who have a lot of characters. Void, Larry, Anti come to mind. I watched a Socal tournament and CharlieDaKing was able to mess around in finals with a very competent Fox and Shiek and Greninja before his very strong Mario. I believe we will see mid or even low tiers who have redeeming MUs be used for niche counterpicks throughout bracket more often than we will see them win a national.

Removing the absurd tools like ZSS killing from a grab at 20% validates the characters that kill with a grab consistently at ~60%. Sometimes you know you can get that grab when you need it, and the top tiers not having tools so strong they give you all the opportunities of the low tiers many times over is a pretty convincing reason to have , say, a nice DK going for Mario/Ryu. After all, you don't have to learn the intricacies of 58 MUs when you are just learning a few MUs your main may not like.

Or you can secondary Cloud >_>

Last edited:

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice

There ARE gaps in power.
dat corrin frame data and shield advantage ... mmmm (gonna save this because hammer doesn't display basic shield advantage).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Oh, yeah just want to say of you are trying to solo run a character to win a national.....yeah don't do that.

You should have a secondary.

And it should either be Sheik, Cloud or Mewtwo imo.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I'd say only Cloud, Ryu and Mega Man are truly viable out of those, probably Yoshi, Falcon and Lucario as well at least if your definition of viable is more lenient (it's hard to say because not every character has similar representation). Mii Brawler's source of reference is too tiny to say anything, while ROB, DK, Ike and Bowser get wrecked way too hard in some matchups to do anything without considerable help from a secondary. Wario was considered a high tier early on, but then he faded into completely obscurity barring Japan where seemingly any character can top 8 a national.

The term "viable" gets thrown around too freely, probably partially because it lacks any context. Viable in what? Locals, regionals, nationals, supermajors? There are probably less than 15 characters who can win a supermajor barring a godlike player plowing through with an obscure character and partially riding on the matchup inexperience of their opponents. Not to take too many dreams away from Mewtwo players, but Abadango at Pound 2016 probably fits this picture to an extent.

Getting top 8 at regionals is way easier in comparison, and probably half the cast or more can do this. Yet, is there an aspiring competitive player with the fire burning in them whose ultimate aim is a top 8 at a regional? A viable character should be one that can win, not almost win but then die.

Actually viable is probably more like: :4cloud: :4diddy: :4fox: :4mario: :4megaman: :4mewtwo: :rosalina: :4ryu: :4sheik: :4sonic: :4zss:
Large pool of "who the hell knows": :4bayonetta: :4falcon: :4lucario: :4marth: :4metaknight: :4ness: :4pikachu: :4tlink: :4villager: :4yoshi:

The main difference is that the characters in the upper category have actually shown stuff whereas the lower ones haven't, and most of them probably never will considering they've already had pretty long for that (1.1.5 or just sudden attention to a specific sleeper character could still potentially create something though). and in case anyone is wondering, mega man can't be ignored because kamemushi

Villager and Pikachu had a lot of hype at one point due to ESAM and Ranai doing very well, while Bayonetta is a ??? but probably still at least decent, maybe even viable. The likes of Peach, Greninja and Corrin have a lot to show before they should even be considered in my opinion, meanwhile Emblem Lord Emblem Lord has explained well why the Pits aren't that good, and to be fair, someone could probably whip one up for most of these.

Considering Ness' hype and success and then gradual but clear decline, it paints a good picture of how hard it is to actually win large things even in Smash 4. If I had to pick which character of the lower character pool had the strongest case to be in the upper one, I'd say aeiou

Regardless, there are 6 characters who can barely be called heavy, unless you really want to make a clear distinction between superheavy and heavy in which case it becomes a bit more plausible. Perhaps that's decent, but the "fatty" design of being an actual heavy is completely missing and seems to be pretty much doomed.

I think this isn't a pessimistic view but a realistic one. Interesting to see what happens though.

Also, Ike's recovery is ****ing terrible and it ruins the character
What do you count as viable? Viable to win a national? Solo-viable? Because a lot of characters past that have shown mad potential (Kirby's getting close to best Sheiks, Wii Fit getting high in nationals, etc). Viable and The Best are two different things.

also side note that doesnt matter, i wish kirby had ike's recovery LMAO

Last edited:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Oh, yeah just want to say of you are trying to solo run a character to win a national.....yeah don't do that.

You should have a secondary.

And it should either be Sheik, Cloud or Mewtwo imo.
Agree with this. Those three characters are just so reliable because not only are their matchups pretty solid across the board, but their gameplan rarely has to change between matchups.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I've always been of the opinion that Sheik is a lousy secondary, since she requires a lot of work to succeed with. Might as well main her. Mewtwo and Cloud are definitely the secondaries of choice at the events I attend. That or Diddy. Or Diddy/Mewtwo co-mains who counterpick you in friendlies...

Sorry, I'm still a bit salty about that. It's just a game, fam. Why you camping me in friendlies?!?!

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Maybe you need to take a second, stop being facetious, and realize that raw frame data/shield safety is not everything that matters. Obviously frame data matters, but it's kind of ignorant to just say 'look at the numbers because they prove something'. This is a content-less post with meaningless information...come on, you can do better.
Raw frame data and shield safety is A LOT of Smash 4.

If you have attacks that are fast, safe on shield, and combo well you're GONNA DO WELL in Smash 4.

Let's take a look at Diddy Kong.

His D-Tilt is a frame 4 combo starter, combos into itself, kill confirms, and is -2 on block. That's NIGH unpunishable for the entire cast.

F-Air? It says -12, but spaced AC retreating ignores that because it's Diddy Kong. Also does 10 damage, is frame 10, and can wall out almost the entire cast.

B-Air? +2. Frame 5. 9 damage. Frame 9 OoS. That's actually gross.

Let's compare that to a low tier, like D3.

On the ground, D3's fastest move is a frame 6 D-Tilt. It doesn't really combo into anything but oh look at this other stat.

IT'S NEGATIVE 17 ON SHIELD DROP, or -24 on PS.

That's a total of 2 frames slower than Diddy's d-tilt, AND 15 FRAMES LESS SAFE. That's a quarter of a second.

Aerials? D3 has a N-Air, which has one of the most pitiful hitboxes in the game, like ALL of his moves, and is +0. Not bad, but with no disjoints and a huge hurtbox, you're gonna get beaten by even regular aerials. B-Air? Yet again, a lousy hitbox, but -3. Frame 17 though. Eww.

A little extreme for examples, but it suits the point.

Raw data in a fighting game means A LOT. If your character can do a lot of these things you're gonna be fine.

Mobility *ESP IN A PLATFORM FIGHTER*
Damage racking/Combos
Kill set-ups/kill power
Fast moves
Safe on shield.

Guess who has all of these?

Diddy Kong.

Guess who doesn't have these?

Low tiers.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'd argue Yoshi is mid-ish tier and has these traits, and 1111 Brawler, especially small Brawler, but is still kinda bad.

@Mr_T I'll be making a post when I can about my thoughts on the Ness G&W MU, I'm just researching a bit more into the neutral specifically to be thorough. :)

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Roy has mobility, but has range issues.

His air acceleration is garbage, his shield safety isn't amazing either.

Combos aren't amazing. Kill set-ups could be better.

Roy has the shaping to be good, but his sword mechanics really weigh him down in the long run.

Yoshi on the other hand

Has mobility
Can damage rack decently
Lacks disjoints
Lacks kill set-ups.
Edgeguarded hard when properly done.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I've always been of the opinion that Sheik is a lousy secondary, since she requires a lot of work to succeed with. Might as well main her. Mewtwo and Cloud are definitely the secondaries of choice at the events I attend. That or Diddy. Or Diddy/Mewtwo co-mains who counterpick you in friendlies...

Sorry, I'm still a bit salty about that. It's just a game, fam. Why you camping me in friendlies?!?!
Learning how to play patient probably. Plenty of players don't know how to do that.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Come to think of it, is there any character that has both good frame data and good mobility, yet isn't seen as very good?

Yoshi. Amazing frame data and power. But almost non existant neutral or kill confirms.

juddy96

Smash Lord
You're pretty far off base on a lot of things there.

1) Ryo has gone back to mostly pure Ike. Last two large tournament results he had (within the last month) were solo Ike with him in top 8. No Roy, no Corrin. They're both "pull out when bored" characters for him, not significant secondaries. Barely more important than his Ganondorf or Falcon or Palutena, lol. He's a FE fanboy in general, he likes using all of them. Unless you're going to try to tell me he's used a "significant" amount of Lucina as well because he's pulled her out more than once in the past.

2) Rango's not really a strong Ike so I don't know why he's getting mentioned. Very much a mid level player, just one that happens to have knocked off a few names before.

3) San just beat V115: Canada's strongest ZSS and one of the top ones in general. Its far from optimistic. Ryuga felt it was 45-55 before she got nerfed (and before Ike got more buffs). Its reality.

4) Sheik and Diddy being 40-60 is already reality. Sheik was 35-65 before she got nerfed. Void had lost to an Ike before, San/Ryuga had beaten other Sheiks. It was mad difficult but it was doable. And then she got nerfed, her losing that 50/50 was huge for Ike. I've watched Ikes on stream live up to 200% against Sheik now: she just can't close out his stocks quickly anymore. San also beat at least one Diddy on his way to 9th. The one that beat him was uh, Zero. I think 99.9% of players would lose to that regardless of their character choice. I already touched on Fox in my previous posts.

Ike ain't trending downwards at all. He's maintaining the same on/off pace he's had since patch 1.0.4.
V115 is overrated in Smash 4 because of his Brawl prowess. He got outplaced by 2 other Canadian ZSS' at GOML, Constance and Exodia who I believe is actually Canada's best ZSS

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
According to most people the last half year or so, :4pikachu:
Pika's frame data really isn't that crazy imo. It's solid, but his other numbers such as knockback values and his hit angles make it so he has no reliable kill confirms. His best poke is his dtilt which is a great button, but to get in that space reliably without getting counter poked himself...risky stuff me thinks.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Something else about pikachu to note is his horrendous priority. Fair and Bair are multi hit (something around 4 or 5 hits iirc), and each hit does incredibly low damage individually. So even though the moves come out fast, they get beat out by a lot of stuff. Dair has great priority, but the hitbox makes it a bad approach tool.

Djent

Smash Champion
Pika has mostly good data when it comes to mobility. An initial dash length of 14 frames is unfortunate, but good walk/run and great aerial acceleration are pretty neat. IMO his attack data is the source of his problems more often than not. I'd say strong mobility / OK frame data is a fair description. And let's leave it at that. Embarrass

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Shield safety numbers really shouldn't be thrown out based on shield drop unless the attack in question is one that's generally spaced outside of OoS options, thus requiring the opponent to drop their shield before dashing in and punishing. Many attacks don't have the range for this, so safety after shield drop is irrelevant and safety against OoS is what matters.

What comes to Ike's recovery, it really isn't better than Marth/Lucina, Links, Pit (who has no hitbox mind you) or even Corrin for instance, it's closer to Robin or Roy. The overall durations of Ike's aerials prevent him from challenging you when he's drifting back except when he's really high up, and all you need to do is force him to use his up b which is a free gimp for many characters. You do this by simply staying in front of him when he's recovering: if he goes for side b he hits you and is forced into an immediate up b, and if he doesn't go for side b he'll have to recover with up b eventually (and you'll have a chance to edgeguard him through other means as well). It isn't free but pretty close to it if when he's hit to the blastzone in a more horizontal than diagonal angle.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Xanos 2-0s Reflex in pools. Wario-Lucas looks heavily in the latter's favor.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike can QD into you and just jump out, he doesn't have to waste his DJ early.

There's a lot more to Ike's recovery than just QD -> Aether.

Ike can also drift into a DJ QD which does cover a good amount of distance.

It isn't nearly as free as would first seem.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Raw frame data and shield safety is A LOT of Smash 4.

If you have attacks that are fast, safe on shield, and combo well you're GONNA DO WELL in Smash 4.

Let's take a look at Diddy Kong.

His D-Tilt is a frame 4 combo starter, combos into itself, kill confirms, and is -2 on block. That's NIGH unpunishable for the entire cast.

F-Air? It says -12, but spaced AC retreating ignores that because it's Diddy Kong. Also does 10 damage, is frame 10, and can wall out almost the entire cast.

B-Air? +2. Frame 5. 9 damage. Frame 9 OoS. That's actually gross.

Let's compare that to a low tier, like D3.

On the ground, D3's fastest move is a frame 6 D-Tilt. It doesn't really combo into anything but oh look at this other stat.

IT'S NEGATIVE 17 ON SHIELD DROP, or -24 on PS.

That's a total of 2 frames slower than Diddy's d-tilt, AND 15 FRAMES LESS SAFE. That's a quarter of a second.

Aerials? D3 has a N-Air, which has one of the most pitiful hitboxes in the game, like ALL of his moves, and is +0. Not bad, but with no disjoints and a huge hurtbox, you're gonna get beaten by even regular aerials. B-Air? Yet again, a lousy hitbox, but -3. Frame 17 though. Eww.

A little extreme for examples, but it suits the point.

Raw data in a fighting game means A LOT. If your character can do a lot of these things you're gonna be fine.

Mobility *ESP IN A PLATFORM FIGHTER*
Damage racking/Combos
Kill set-ups/kill power
Fast moves
Safe on shield.

Guess who has all of these?

Diddy Kong.

Guess who doesn't have these?

Low tiers.
The examples aren't really responding to my point though. My post was merely a response to Emblem Lord's all-encompassing post that literally said 'look at frame data and you can see the tier gap' when it's actually much more complicated than that. If you could actually look at the data literally and determine power levels, Mario and Ryu would be top 5 in the game, except that they aren't or even contending for it. Mega Man would be gutter trash. Falcon would not be barely hanging on to high tier. Yoshi would be top tier. Doc would not be a low tier character.

That's just a few examples of where frame data doesn't tell all of or even most of the story. It matters, but in matters in the context of everything not as a standalone thing.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Ike also has a rather high airspeed at 1.08, the only sword users higher are Cloud (1.1) and Roy (1.2)

Also, How is Ryu not contending for top 5 in the game?

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You can look at hard data and see why characters don't play as well as others. Mobility is also part of it, which is one big reason why Doc isn't as good as Mario.

It isn't everything, but it's a lot about fighting games.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Something else about pikachu to note is his horrendous priority. Fair and Bair are multi hit (something around 4 or 5 hits iirc), and each hit does incredibly low damage individually. So even though the moves come out fast, they get beat out by a lot of stuff. Dair has great priority, but the hitbox makes it a bad approach tool.
Priority when involving aerials (ground vs air, air vs ground, air vs air) doesn't factor in damage, except against projectiles. Assuming both hitboxes are out, whoever has the most disjoint, wins. Pika has next to no disjoint, so he usually loses interactions with aerials. Meanwhile Pit's Fair and especially Uair don't lose to much of anything. You can beat out things like Cloud and Link's Dairs or Wizkick consistently with proper spacing even though every hit on Uair does 2%.

Pit (who's recovery has no hitbox mind you)
Uh, side B has a hitbox... And super armor and immunity to projectiles. Pit's side B in terms of recovery is a straight upgrade of Falcon's, and the vast majority of the time he's using that to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom