• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
In terms of matchups being hit hardest by the bayo changes, it probably will be any character that bayo cant edgeguard at all (:4sheik::4sonic::4mewtwo:) or characters that totally outneutral Bayonetta. (:4diddy::4megaman::4sheik:)

If with appropriate DI, bayo death combos dont exist then I think :4diddy: and maybe :4sheik: are potential -2.

The patch hasnt dropped yet so Bayonetta could still be top tier or be Luigi level.

In my eyes the following matchups for Bayonetta :4falcon::4dedede::4ganondorf::rosalina::4ness::4robinm::4drmario: :4feroy:and a few other havent changed too much.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
In terms of matchups being hit hardest by the bayo changes, it probably will be any character that bayo cant edgeguard at all (:4sheik::4sonic::4mewtwo:) or characters that totally outneutral Bayonetta. (:4diddy::4megaman::4sheik:)

If with appropriate DI, bayo death combos dont exist then I think :4diddy: and maybe :4sheik: are potential -2.

The patch hasnt dropped yet so Bayonetta could still be top tier or be Luigi level.

In my eyes the following matchups for Bayonetta :4falcon::4dedede::4ganondorf::rosalina::4ness::4robinm::4drmario: :4feroy:and a few other havent changed too much.
I'm most interested in how she ends up faring against :4cloud: :4metaknight: :4myfriends: :4marth: :4corrin:, in approximately that order. (Although Witch Time > Dsmash on Aether at the ledge hasn't been touched, at least.)

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
If pre-patch is any indication her worst MUs by far now will be Mega Man, Toon Link and Diddy. Sheik, Sonic and maybe Greninja and Luigi could be difficult as well.

Wouldn't that be her advantage stage that's hurt? Once she scores a hit and is looking for followups, you're no longer in neutral.

I'll grant the threat of good reward can influence how the opponent moves in neutral though.
Neutral is all about threat for b&p characters, or characters with fast powerful moves in general. The threat of Ryu's highly rewarding close range is what keeps his opponents scared in neutral. Even for like, Doc or Luigi. Their tornados are fast, high damaging and cover a lot of range, so they can scare you into shielding in situations where you would normally be pressing an offense.

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
My prediction is that most bandwagon mains will drop her, those that remain will actually advance her meta and start using all her options rather than just stairway combos, and a few months from now she'll be considered a solid high tier and we'll all wonder at how the **** they allowed base Bayonetta into the game.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If pre-patch is any indication her worst MUs by far now will be Mega Man, Toon Link and Diddy. Sheik, Sonic and maybe Greninja and Luigi could be difficult as well.

Neutral is all about threat for b&p characters, or characters with fast powerful moves in general. The threat of Ryu's highly rewarding close range is what keeps his opponents scared in neutral. Even for like, Doc or Luigi. Their tornados are fast, high damaging and cover a lot of range, so they can scare you into shielding in situations where you would normally be pressing an offense.
Zelda's toes are also fast and highly damaging, yet I rarely feel threatened by them or her in general. (The difficulty in landing them with anything approaching consistency is a large factor in this, I'll grant. That said, play a level 8 or 9 CPU Zelda and watch in horror as they toe you in the face every goddamn time.)

My (admittedly nitpicky) point is that the nerf to ABK's damage and knockback angle are mostly a nerf to her combo game (read: advantage stage), which happens to reduce her threat level overall and reduce the risk of losing to her in neutral, instead of being a nerf to her neutral game directly.

My prediction is that most bandwagon mains will drop her, those that remain will actually advance her meta and start using all her options rather than just stairway combos, and a few months from now she'll be considered a solid high tier and we'll all wonder at how the **** they allowed base Bayonetta into the game.
I was using her casually since her release and it turns out she may be a valid secondary for Rosalina. (We'll see if she still does well against Meta Knight and Cloud...) I have no real intentions of dropping her without reason.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
IIRC, when I played Bayo before I actually knew how to use her, falling reverse uair -> bair was a kill confirm. She still has the same nutty upwards ABK combos I believe, and dtilt still works well when connected.

Now o think her neutral will consist of more Bairs, neutral b, and baits...
Brawl Wolf, anyone?

ArnoldPalmer

Smash Apprentice
IIRC, when I played Bayo before I actually knew how to use her, falling reverse uair -> bair was a kill confirm. She still has the same nutty upwards ABK combos I believe, and dtilt still works well when connected.

Now o think her neutral will consist of more Bairs, neutral b, and baits...
Brawl Wolf, anyone?
People haven't actually looked that much into Bayonetta's combo game outside of some BS special -> special -> special -> fair ->special -> upair that for some reason nobody knew how to SDI out of until Esam made a video of it. I actually can't wait to see some Bayonetta play outside of this

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Going to be interesting to see where the bandwagon goes now. Unlike the Sheik nerfs, which pretty much made everyone more viable, Bayo nerfs could negatively impact characters like :4megaman::4greninja::4diddy: who didn't mind meeting her in bracket as much as others.

For example, Kamemushi's Umebura 22 bracket had him playing :4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4sheik::4corrinf::rosalina::4bayonetta::4duckhunt::4sheik::4olimar:

If the Bayos he played used their old mains, his bracket would be :4sheik::4ryu::4sheik::4corrinf::rosalina::4sheik::4duckhunt::4sheik::4olimar: - which I don't see a Megaman making it nearly as far in, even with the Sheik nerfs. He'd probably be leaning a lot harder on his Cloud secondary, and our view of Megaman would suffer accordingly. If all those Bayos pick up Sheik or Cloud now, even Diddy won't make it to the 1.1.6 meta unscathed.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Zelda's toes are also fast and highly damaging, yet I rarely feel threatened by them or her in general. (The difficulty in landing them with anything approaching consistency is a large factor in this, I'll grant. That said, play a level 8 or 9 CPU Zelda and watch in horror as they toe you in the face every goddamn time.)

My (admittedly nitpicky) point is that the nerf to ABK's damage and knockback angle are mostly a nerf to her combo game (read: advantage stage), which happens to reduce her threat level overall and reduce the risk of losing to her in neutral, instead of being a nerf to her neutral game directly.
What point are you trying to make? There is obviously a lower level of threat associated with moves that have tiny sweetspots.

You've said it yourself really - this is just nitpicking. It would be one thing if I was wrong, but I'm not. And I already mentioned how it hurts her combo game too. You're basically saying "it hurts her advantage more than her neutral game" when I didn't specify which one it hurts more, and I could hold either viewpoint.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Who does Cloud lose to?

There was a time not-so-long ago where the top tier was defined more clearly than usual. In no particular order, it was clear (possibly only in hindsight) that Sheik, ZSS, Bayonetta, Cloud and Rosalina were all a cut above the rest of the cast (if you follow the Japanese scene you may argue Sonic belonged in this upper echelon as well). There was a seriously underrated character who boasted near-even or perhaps even unthinkably almost positive matchups against the first three characters listed (potentially #1, #2 and #3 respectively). This character was Diddy Kong, and he was in a very good place as far as the game was concerned by being somewhat anti-meta, potentially THE answer to the top 3 characters in the game but also someone who struggled against various other top and high tier characters. Since then, the substantial nerfs to Bayonetta, Sheik and ZSS have only served to accentuate Diddy's strengths and it's no wonder people are finally giving him some of the credit he deserves, but it seems that in general those who don't play the character are overlooking some of his more difficult matchups which aside from Cloud have barely been altered via patches.

The nerfs to Sheik, ZSS and Bayonetta are somewhat of a double edged sword for Diddy Kong, as while he now has an overall better matchup spread and does better against these specific characters it also means he goes from having some sort of niche as a "counter" to the top 3 characters in the game (1.1.4) to very possibly having losing matchups to the top 3 characters in the game (1.1.6, assuming no changes other than Bayo). Diddy was only ever really a contender for best in the game when he was theorized to have a "winning" matchup against the only other obvious contender, now he's back to being a solid top tier and nothing more. The transition from 1.1.5 to 1.1.6 will likely also hurt Sonic and Megaman in a similar way, they each go from having a decent (POSSIBLY ADVANTAGEOUS) matchup with a super popular and extremely powerful character to having a decent matchup with a character that was nerfed to the ground and either dropped by many or significantly less threatening.

I think, and this may be difficult for people to come to terms with at this stage until they've actually seen it in writing a few times as it's a little foreign to Smash, but I think it's very likely that the best character in the game in version 1.1.6 will actually have more than one disadvantageous matchup, so randomly being countered by MK or Rosa isn't enough to rule anybody out at this stage. Let's have a look at some matchups.

Characters that beat Diddy - generally agreed upon to be our worst, some very optimistic players sometimes think we go even-ish against one but not the other though (personally I think Fox and Mario are much harder than Cloud, but that's an unpopular opinion):
:4cloud::rosalina:

Characters that make Diddy struggle - it wouldn't surprise me if we were disadvantaged against ALL of these guys, but they may also be a mix of evenish matchups. Results are typically not in Diddy's favour here between evenly matched opponents, although I don't know if we've seen the Fox or Luigi MUs at a high level in a long time:
:4luigi::4fox::4mario::4sonic:

Characters that force Diddy mains to actually think instead of just pushing buttons - it wouldn't surprise me if we were disadvantaged against some or even most of these guys as well, but all these matchups seem evenish. Diddy struggles with zoning and anti-zoning characters a little more than you would expect, and characters with good edgeguarding can really make him pay (seriously, that recovery is STILL very exploitable). Characters like Pit and Toon Link might also belong here:
:4lucas::4pikachu::4olimar::4megaman::4villager::4sheik:

We can do the same for other characters, Rosa for example. I'll be less in depth about her sadly but I'm sure someone will help me fill in the blanks with regards to characters they're more familiar with.

Characters that beat Rosa:
:4metaknight:

Characters that make Rosa struggle:
:4cloud:

Characters that force Rosa mains to actually think instead of just pushing buttons:
:4marth::4myfriends::4corrin: "Disjoint" apparently, and probably characters that just generally do well at removing Luma and don't get edgeguarded, maybe still Pika/ZSS? Heard mixed opinions about Wario, Falcon is often claimed by both sides to be difficult, Mewtwo might actually belong in this category, does Ryu kill Rosa at 30%, Olimar? etc. How many of these MUs does Rosa actually lose, and how many are just not-free? No shade towards Rosa players, at some point you must realise that having to play a matchup slightly differently with your ultra good top tier character doesn't necessarily mean it's disadvantageous or even (see: Diddy players struggling with [random zoner]).

I think the biggest question worth asking is "Who does Cloud lose to?", but it's worth looking at all the top tier's MU spreads in this sort of manner as well. Is Sheik still a candidate for number 1? Who does Sheik lose to? Is Sonic the best character in the game, or is he hurt by the Bayo nerfs in the same was Diddy is? Does Sonic have any losing matchups at all, aside from possibly ZSS? Does Fox get wrecked by Sheik? Who else beats Fox? Is Ryu severely underrated? Does Ryu actually lose any matchups aside from Diddy/Sonic? When will people learn to edgeguard Diddy properly? How long will it be until someone suggests Pikachu is the best character in the game in 1.1.6? When the patch drops, will there be secret buffs for Jigglypuff and King Dedede? Which low-mid tier is going to be the next flavour of the month?

Edit w/ vague at best ordering:

Top: :4cloud::rosalina::4sonic::4sheik::4diddy::4fox::4ryu:
High+: :4zss::4mario::4mewtwo::4metaknight:
???: :4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:

Completely unrelated to the rest of my post but I figure I should put it in writing after that ultra vague "tier list": If 1.1.6 is never released and 1.1.5 is the last version of Smash 4 ever, Ryu has nowhere to go but upwards as long as people keep putting him around that 8-12 mark. Even though he's not there yet, with the right players behind him he's going to be an absolute top threat by the end of the game's lifespan.

Last edited:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Welcome to the smash 4 oligarchy, a meta ruled by a diverse handful of threats rather than a single fighter. Five gods, if you will.

:4sheik::4diddy::4cloud2::4fox::rosalina:

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm pretty convined that Diddy beats Cloud. Results indicate that Top Clouds lose to Top Diddys and in theory the MU is in Diddys advantage as well. Could be even as well, but it feels more advantagous to me.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
I find the need to figure out the arbitrary cut off point for top tier vs TIPPITY TOP TIER to be fascinating. I understand the mentality in Melee and Brawl where the distinction between a phenomenal/great/good/trash character is much more stark. It feels like everyone is desperate to drill down to a 5/6/whatever person top tier, when results/theory don't necessarily support that.

edit: *in extremely metal gear voice* we still carry the psychological scars of previous Smash games.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I find the need to figure out the arbitrary cut off point for top tier vs TIPPITY TOP TIER to be fascinating. I understand the mentality in Melee and Brawl where the distinction between a phenomenal/great/good/trash character is much more stark. It feels like everyone is desperate to drill down to a 5/6/whatever person top tier, when results/theory don't necessarily support that.

edit: *in extremely metal gear voice* we still carry the psychological scars of previous Smash games.
Shows how well balanced this game really is, IMO.

So where does Bayo sit now? Top 15?

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
I'm pretty convined that Diddy beats Cloud. Results indicate that Top Clouds lose to Top Diddys and in theory the MU is in Diddys advantage as well. Could be even as well, but it feels more advantagous to me.
Some Diddys say that Diddy loses to Cloud but personally I've never had a problem with him. It's either even or Diddy's adv in my opinion (I personally ditto Diddys and go Diddy vs Cloud, in the time I've been co-maining them). Diddy has a really solid advantage game over Cloud imo.

We'll need to wait a bit to discuss Bayo as well, patch is not even live. There was a patch that had no balance changes when datamined so we never know if we're missing something.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Let's avoid attempting to place Bayo based strictly on theoretical implication of data that hasn't even landed yet.

The rest of this discussion is A+; but the moment we start throwing around "top X", things get silly.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Let's avoid attempting to place Bayo based strictly on theoretical implication of data that hasn't even landed yet.

The rest of this discussion is A+; but the moment we start throwing around "top X", things get silly.
False, all I had to do was plug the new Bayo data into my calculator and I can now tell you with certainty that she is precisely the 11th best character in the game.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Do we know for certain that this is all and that nothing else will be coming when the patch is released?
We can't know anything for certain until the patch is released to the general public. Don't count on anything else though.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Hopefully people will stop low-balling Diddy Kong
Its funny because only two players caused that. They said Diddy was mid tier and since this community has trouble thinking for themselves they actually believed it. Now the same thing is happening but people are kinda overrating him now because one player said that he's #1. It will probably die down soon though just like the Pikachu, Ryu, and ZSS train did. The mob mentality in this community is ridiculous lmao.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Sonic is thrown around a lot but on what basis? He isn't talked about a lot and his results are nowhere near comparable to Diddy, Sheik or Fox. He's below a bunch of others as well, close to ZSS and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
Diddy is regarded pretty highly here for various reasons, like his matchups against :4bayonetta:, :4cloud: and :4sheik:, consistently great results, and more.

Last edited:

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
Sonic is thrown around a lot but on what basis? He isn't talked about a lot and his results are nowhere near comparable to Diddy, Sheik or Fox. He's below a bunch of others as well, close to ZSS and Mewtwo.
It would be his lack of wins but amazing MU spread. He loses like 2-3 MUs at worst (Cloud, Megaman and Fox). Possibly beats Sheik, goes even or beats all the other top tiers.

Last edited:

Reapers

Smash Rookie
It would be his lack of wins but amazing MU spread. He loses like 2-3 MUs at worst (Cloud, Megaman and Fox). Possibly beats Sheik, goes even or beats all the other top tiers.
Isn't Ike considered a bad match-up as well?

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159

I'm not even really sure it has to do with previous Smash games. Seems more of a human nature (alpha male kinda thing) kind of thing or a custom our society has grown used to (with the whole Top 10/5 lists everywhere and such). Its an organization tool applicable to practically everything that needs narrowing down that everyone seems to understand.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
I was under the impression that :rosalina:was considered to be one of :4sonic:'s worst matchups though?
Not really, Sonic has options to quickly get rid of Luma with Fthrow, SDJ, ISDJ, SDH and more. He also edgeguards her really well. His only downfall is that he can't land vs her.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
On paper, no. But based on results, most likely.
On surface level paper no. When you really start digging down into it, even paper looks pretty good for Ike. Giant aerials with little to no landing lag and multiple ways to deal with spin dash. And then through those things winning the damage race while already winning the KOing race.

One of the better examples in the game of why results matter though, to be sure. You have your initial reaction of Speed > Ike, then you look at the results being pretty darn lopsided towards Ike, then you look at what happened in those matches and then go back to the paper to figure out why its like that.

But Sonic does indeed overall have a pretty great MU spread, hence why he's thought highly of. And he has multiple people who can take him to very high levels. More than say, Mario does.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
So ZeRo tried getting into the GOML bracket but apparently it was too late but he said he's still going to commentate and stuff.

For those that don't know, MK Leo will be attending and ZeRo said he will try to money match him lol

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
KEN and Komorikiri do very well with him in Japan (although the latter plays more Cloud and Bayo nowadays). He still has top tier results over there.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
On surface level paper no. When you really start digging down into it, even paper looks pretty good for Ike. Giant aerials with little to no landing lag and multiple ways to deal with spin dash. And then through those things winning the damage race while already winning the KOing race.

One of the better examples in the game of why results matter though, to be sure. You have your initial reaction of Speed > Ike, then you look at the results being pretty darn lopsided towards Ike, then you look at what happened in those matches and then go back to the paper to figure out why its like that.

But Sonic does indeed overall have a pretty great MU spread, hence why he's thought highly of. And he has multiple people who can take him to very high levels. More than say, Mario does.
I see it as even. Seagull think we lose but the general consensus on the Sonic boards is even. You can camp Ike super hard and edgeguard efficiently.

KEN and Komorikiri do very well with him in Japan (although the latter plays more Cloud and Bayo nowadays). He still has top tier results over there.
Komo dropped Bayo a while ago and goes mainly Cloud and Sonic is situational.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Was there ever any proof Greninja did well vs Bayonetta? iStudy pretty much got rolled over by Tyroy with no combos, only managing to win 1 game when Tyroy got shadow sneaked at 30 in the blast zone. Didn't appear greninja could do anything except survive okay vs bayonetta.

Megaman wasn't being helped much by Bayonetta. Sheik beat Bayo and Sheik beats Megaman hard. Having Bayos around doesn't stop that.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I see it as even. Seagull think we lose but the general consensus on the Sonic boards is even. You can camp Ike super hard and edgeguard efficiently.
Can't really camp Ike when you're needing to approach in the first place. I got zero problems not moving an inch once the match starts until you decide to approach. I have the range advantage and I have the advantage by reacting to Sonic, why would I move? And which point Ike's advantages kick in.

And while Sonic is fast... end of the day if he tries to camp he's still getting smacked in the face. Ike is covering too much space with his moves and again, when used correctly his aerials have little to no landing lag. Combine that with an actually pretty decent set of max speeds on the ground and the air and Sonic will not be able to keep it up. The fact Sonics for some strange reason keep trying to take Ike to Smashville really doesn't help them in any camping attempt either.

Edgeguarding... it can happen. But you watch the various StaticManny vs Ryo videos and it just doesn't happen often.

Seagull is the only top level Sonic with a winning record again top level Ikes. When he's the one saying that Sonic loses, you guys should really listen to him. He's the only Sonic that can do well against Ike. Between that and the insanely heavily slanted record in Ike's favour there's simply no logical way for it to be even. Ike wins. And not by a small margin. We ain't talking 55:45, we're talking 60-40.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
sonic loses to zss btw according to literally everything

Good matchups isn't really something to shrug disproportionate (lack of) results off with, rather those results are more likely to suggest that maybe those matchups aren't what people thought after all.

Pikachu seemingly didn't lose just about anything until people started seeing that perhaps the character's strengths/weaknesses we're misjudged to begin with and perhaps literally all his matchups are worse by 5-10 or so on a double digit scale.

Yeah, I took KEN into account when I was weighing Sonic's results. I've been thinking about Sonic's hype relative to what the character is showing for a while now (started from @~ Gheb ~ listing him among his top 4).

warionumbah2

Smash Master
So ZeRo tried getting into the GOML bracket but apparently it was too late but he said he's still going to commentate and stuff.

For those that don't know, MK Leo will be attending and ZeRo said he will try to money match him lol
Too bad 1.1.5 MK won't pose a threat to most of the people at GOML, Leos 1.1.4 MK was insanity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom