• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think out of all characters now that Bayo is nerfed we're about to enter the new reign of Diddy Kong.

Although at least this time he's significantly less BS

ArnoldPalmer

Smash Apprentice
So this leaves a opinion-based on who's number 1 now. This is interesting.
Its been that way since 1.1.5. I was a war between Sheik, Diddy, Cloud, and Bayo. I honestly never thought Bayo was a candidate for no. 1. Her mobility sucks, her frame data is bad, her neutral is kinda meh, and she had numerous bad matchups particularly against Diddy and Sheik.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't think anyone actually understands how broken Falco would be with decent mobility. Imagine if he had Mario's run/air speed
Melee Falco says hi. His run speed was the same as Mario's and his air speed was just a little under Mario's. Falco was average in horizontal mobility in Melee. In Brawl, he was slightly below-average, and in Smash 4, he's below average on the ground and slow in the air. 1.0.8 upped his air acceleration from 0.07 to 0.09 and his air speed from 0.893 to 0.92. He's still slow on the ground, but slightly faster in the air and reaches top speed much faster. Falco with Mario's run speed of 1.6 would not be broken. Falco would move up from below-average to average. Falco with a run speed of above 1.8 probably would; 1.8 is around Bowser's run speed. Something else broken would be like Ganondorf with Mario's run speed. Slow to average.

What made Falco broken in Melee and Brawl was his neutral. His neutral was among the best when his Blaster fired lasers that traveled from one end of the stage and past the other towards the blast zone. Low committal Blaster through auto-canceling allowed Falco to zone the hell out of people if he wanted, but why do that when he could approach with Blaster? Few if any character in any fighting game can approach with a projectile like Falco could. Most characters have to follow their projectile by catching up to it. Falco hopped, fired Blaster, and the laser was already in front of him with him being able to continue by moving forward or SHL again. Add in his Nair, Bair, and Dair which when L-canceled had low landing lag in Melee allowing him to pressure shields easily. All 3 having good hitboxes that allow him to crossup made it even better. Then there's a frame 1, jump-cancelable Shine that pressured shields and setup his famous combos. In Brawl, he's still got Bair to pressure and crossup and sometimes Dair since it no longer had a body hitbox, but still had a good auto-cancel and low landing lag. In all games too, he's got good ground pokes through jab, Utilt in Melee -- it's an anti-air in Brawl onward --, Ftilt, and Dtilt. Combine all of those with his fantastic advantage in Melee and his good, but not as strong as it was advantage in Brawl. Falco was a monster in neutral and advantage and in a way, played more like a Street Fighter character with Marvel's air combos. In Smash 4, he's got an advantage that's average, but can reach good if you let him like taking him to Smashville and getting screwed by the platform or DI'ing incorrectly and letting him setup a back hit of Uair to Bair KO'ing you at ~100% near the ledge. Neutral on the other hand, isn't good. Because Blaster can no longer auto-cancel prevents him from being able to approach with laser, but also because when auto-cancel was removed, its total frames was never readjusted causing Falco to have to deal with really high recovery on Blaster. Blaster can still annoy and trouble some players, but if you're going for that one laser to zone like Mario using Fireball or Ryu using Hadouken, that's not going to happen.

Horizontal mobility, especially ground speed, never made Falco broken since he was never beyond average outside of walking. With Falco's current Blaster, a 1.6 run speed on him would be like Ryu, except if Hadouken wasn't a useful zoning tool and if Ryu didn't have any reliable KO setups. Really, what is Falco going to do? Run up to you? He'd need run speed at least at Marth's 1.785 run speed to do that easily. He can't zone like in previous games and he can't even zone like Bayonetta, Lucas, Mario, Ness, or Ryu with their projectiles. Air speed on the other hand? Yeah, give him Mario's and you'd have a character who has the highest jump with fast, strong aerials and 3 of them, Nair, Fair, and Bair, have high active frames. Falco would probably be able to leap towards the blast zone, put out Nair or Fair, KO you, and then jump back like it was nothing. Air speed's low, so it stops that. Greninja and ZSS work high jump with high air speed because their aerials don't linger as long and/or they're not as fast as Falco's. Otherwise, Falco's just going to play the same game of messing around with footsies, but with an average run speed instead of a below-average one.

Honestly, you're kind of acting like how people were earlier when they were complaining about how broken Mewtwo's moves were in a vacuum, except it's about your own character. Yes you're right that all of the aspects about Falco that you listed are amazing/stupid in a vacuum, but you're still playing a light character with terrible mobility/approach and a bad projectile, so just take them as they are because they certainly aren't breaking Falco. I mean my character has arguably the most stupidly broken Forward Smash in the entire game, but I take it because my jab doesn't freaking work. Yes I agree with you that Falco would be better off trading some of those ridiculously strong aspects for patching up some of his weaknesses in other areas, but that's probably not going to happen at this point.

TL;DR: If he ain't broke, don't nerf him.
Umm... I suggested that Dtilt be changed and not outright nerfed? Lower its range by removing a disjoint, but boost its power. Falco excels at close-range, so why not have a Dtilt that strong for close-range? One heavy punish. I also suggested buffs and fixes to other moves? Have Ftilt not be unsafe on-hit at low percents so its a better spacing tool and rapid jab fixed -- a lot of rapid jabs do need some re-tuning like Bowser Jr., Captain Falcon, Greninja, and the Pits. The only move I would outright nerf and not do anything else to is Fair by removing its landing hit. Would ask for lower landing lag, but Sonic's got 26 and I'd rather not have Sonic have to deal with that alone when Pikachu's got 15. Falco's Fair being mostly used for air-to-air followups rather than Sonic's kind of lower to the ground makes the landing lag fine for Falco and kinda of Sonic since he can auto-cancel it from a hop. Pikachu's low landing lag was probably because before that one update 1.0.9 or 1.1.0 changing how hit lag worked with shields. Before, moves with hit lag were really unsafe on shields. Pikachu's Fair has hit lag modifiers because its electrical, so it just made sense. Now that hit lag doesn't make moves even more unsafe on-shield -- a boon for Ryu --, it's kind of weird, but not really a big deal.

The only problems I have against Falco's moves is only towards Dtilt's disjoint and Fair's landing hit. Both boil down to I don't think its fair when you can't see what's really happening. A hitbox is thrown out, but there's one you can't see while the other happens when you don't expect it at all because of the landing animation and because you can't see its range when its disjointed. Players should be able to see what's happening. Mewtwo Fairs you. Welp, that's your own fault. First time it happened, you probably should have figured out its fast, so don't just stand there looking at Mewtwo thinking nothing will happen. If it KO'd you, probably should have figured it's strong. Is it over-tuned? Maybe, but it's not like Mewtwo Fairs and it connects despite you being an arm's length away from his hand. That's something that shouldn't happen then. The problems that I have concerning how moves being dysfunctional is just jab and Fire Bird. Also Blaster and Falco Phantasm, but that's more of design concepts, though. Everything else is pretty much fine.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Diddy Kong is the best character in the game now. Whether you look at results or theory I feel that's the most logical conclusion.

The wider community will probably call Rosalina the best in the game.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Her mobility sucks
Uhh
her frame data is bad
Err
her neutral is kinda meh
Umm
and she had numerous bad matchups particularly against Diddy and Sheik.
Wha

Anyways only arguable one is the neutral and even than she can ignore neutral in a fashion like Pikachu and QAC, except it's ABK everywhere or shield and gtfo move with witch twist. or Dtilt/Nair guns to tack on free %
As for bad MUs, don't think she had any truly awful or even -1 matchups, just a couple rare evens that people talked about like Megaman as an example cause Kame vs 9b.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
On the bright side of getting no other nerfs/buffs, Mewtwo's untouched.

...Yay?

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Sounds more like Rosalina is the best now
I actually believe Rosalina isnt held back by a lack of player representation. But rather several bad matchups and core character problems.

Rosalina's gameplan isnt versatile enough to be #1. Nevermind the fact that her results are actually really lacking outside of Dabuz, Falln and Atelier recently.

She is extremely good in the metagame with :4diddy::4sheik::4fox::4sonic::4mewtwo::4zss: being in the range of 45:55 to 55:45.

Diddy Kongs kit is just so good. Despite not having many kill options below 100, the amount of killing options that begin to open up for him from 100+ is absurd.
Utilt is the icing on the cake. Utilt....:4diddy:

Last edited:

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
It is really funny to me that we have seriously gone full circle to where it all started:
#1: :4diddy: #2: :4sheik:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Diddy Kong is the best character in the game now. Whether you look at results or theory I feel that's the most logical conclusion.

The wider community will probably call Rosalina the best in the game.
Zinoto and MVD insist Diddy hsd 7-8 losing matchups and ZeRo strongly disagrees with Diddy being the best

Coincidentally they are all Diddy Kong mains so there may be a conspiracy afoot.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
The fact that Rosalina get utterly destroyed by Metaknight and have a hard time against Fox and Cloud is enough to say she can't be number 1

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
From GameFaqs, presumably reliable since the user has loads of Karma:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/73757312

I downloaded the changes and have been playing around with the character. These changes are massive, they effectively accomplish the following:

The change to the angle and hitbox of downward angled ABK make it impossible to combo anything out of it, which gets rid of a lot of her staircase combos.

The SDI multipliers and hitbox nerfs make it very easy to SDI out of her combos, especially out of her second up B since the knockback growth was buffed so much. My relatively mediocre mate was able to get out of staircase combos on the second up B 100% of the time at all percents. All kill combos that rely on a second up B are out, even at average levels of play.

Her fair killing power was gutted, the 9B side kill stage combo doesn't work any more until pretty high percents, and you can much more easily SDI out of the up B.

Effectively she has lost every single one of her killing combos. In addition to that the numerous nerfs to witch twists hitboxes have weakened it as an OOS option, it's far easier to challenge for any character with disjoints as long as you have average spacing. ABK is trashed now, the hitbox size decrease makes it easier to challange and you get nothing off of just throwing it out.

The character you think of as Bayonetta is gone.

ArnoldPalmer

Smash Apprentice
Uhh

Err

Umm

Wha

Anyways only arguable one is the neutral and even than she can ignore neutral in a fashion like Pikachu and QAC, except it's ABK everywhere or shield and gtfo move with witch twist. or Dtilt/Nair guns to tack on free %
As for bad MUs, don't think she had any truly awful or even -1 matchups, just a couple rare evens that people talked about like Megaman as an example cause Kame vs 9b.
I mean in comparison to other potential top tiers. Sheik, Diddy, and Cloud all have better frame data
Also, neither Pikachu or Bayo can just ignore the neutral. Quick Attack isn't a "oh lol, neutral? lmao" thing, its a "You can't play footsies with me because I can punish you from anywhere on the map" sort of thing that combined with his strong neutral tools (good grab, safe pokes, good mobility, usable projectile) gives him a top tier neutral. Bayonetta doesn't have good overall mobility or many safe pokes. Because of the angle of her projectile it isn't very effective at a distance and while Witch Twist is a great oos option it is still punishable by certain characters.
You have to play more patient and defensive against yes but that doesn't mean she just wins every MU

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

Was expecting something like a grounded WT angle adjustment, but they just make SDIing the thing wholly easier, and gut Divekick. I'll be.

I assume the damage nerf on Fair 1 makes it so that people can airdodge out in time before a potential WT or another Fair because of the subsequently less hitstun?

I'm still hopeful that other patches will be along the way in periodic fashion - can't see this not being supported when Corrin and Bayonetta Amiibo are still to be released and the idea of a Smash port for the NX still up for debate. So I guess we'll see in the impending months, particularly post-EVO.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Zinoto and MVD insist Diddy hsd 7-8 losing matchups and ZeRo strongly disagrees with Diddy being the best

Coincidentally they are all Diddy Kong mains so there may be a conspiracy afoot.
I think they are downplaying the character. As far as I know, neither results nor theory support Diddy having that many losing MUs. MVD in particular underrates Diddy Kong to a legitimately worrying level, he has said he's not top 10 before. MVD's limitations as a player are affecting his results, not the character (and his results are improving now anyway).

From GameFaqs, presumably reliable since the user has loads of Karma:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/73757312

These sound very severe.

Last edited:

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
So does it still has combo, would be not great for a combo based character
I'm that gamefaqs user, and as far as I can tell she can't kill anyone anymore off of any blast zone from a combo. The sky carry combos that use downward angled ABK are out for obvious reasons (The move just doesn't combo at all), and even the simplest ones or ones that confirm out of witch twist directly are out unless the second up b outright kills. Even assuming they don't SDI out of it (and it's not hard to do anymore), you don't get the follow-ups off of the second up-b at mid-high percents anymore so it doesn't kill, it just does decent %.

The side-stage blast zone combo is gone for sure, the last hit of fair won't kill reliably kill with decent DI and they can just SDI out of the up B (or DI out of it) and have the fair miss all-together.

At best you get some decent percent out of like, witch twist -> up ABK -> bair. That's her combo game now.

Last edited:

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
I actually believe Rosalina isnt held back by a lack of player representation. But rather several bad matchups and core character problems.

Rosalina's gameplan isnt versatile enough to be #1. Nevermind the fact that her results are actually really lacking outside of Dabuz, Falln and Atelier recently.

She is extremely good in the metagame with :4diddy::4sheik::4fox::4sonic::4mewtwo::4zss: being in the range of 45:55 to 55:45.

Diddy Kongs kit is just so good. Despite not having many kill options below 100, the amount of killing options that begin to open up for him from 100+ is absurd.
Utilt is the icing on the cake. Utilt....:4diddy:
I see, thanks!

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I'm that gamefaqs user, and as far as I can tell she can't kill anyone anymore off of any blast zone from a combo. The sky carry combos that use downward angled ABK are out for obvious reasons (The move just doesn't combo at all), and even the simplest ones or ones that confirm out of witch twist directly are out unless the second up b outright kills. Even assuming they don't SDI out of it (and it's not hard to do anymore), you don't get the follow-ups off of the second up-b at mid-high percents anymore so it doesn't kill, it just does decent %.

The side-stage blast zone combo is gone for sure, the last hit of fair won't kill reliably kill with decent DI and they can just SDI out of the up B and have the fair miss all-together.

At best you get some decent percent out of like, witch twist -> up ABK -> bair. That's her combo game now.
Thanks for visiting.

How hard is it to SDI the first Up B? I noticed that had SDI multiplier increases as well.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hmm, so with all this what strengths does Bayonetta still have going for her?

WTwist is solid, but the reward on it is way lower now of course.
BA-Nair edgeguards still wreck a lot of characters... if you can get them there, of course, but hey dABK kind of seems to do that alright? Not sure, just going off of the video so I have no idea what the DI cone is.
She should still have Dtilt->Utilt->(Utilt->)Uair->WTwist->uABK->Bair, just using her non-special moves for the most part. Obviously Dtilt is much harder to land now, though.

Really though, I think Bayo's poor neutral (which is actually poor now, since dABK has almost no threat; it's probably still pretty safe, but the reward is just so low that it's worth challenging now) is going to be a major problem for her.

Last edited:

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for visiting.

How hard is it to SDI the first Up B? I noticed that had SDI multiplier increases as well.
It's a lot harder than the second (which is literally brain dead) -- but it's possible. I think they decreased the moves knockback or something at the same time as bumping up the SDI modifier, but I was able to wiggle out of it 3/15 times when I was expecting it. I'd say it's still pretty tough to get out of on reaction, but you can DI out of it well enough to avoid some follow-ups (like fair).

Someone with better SDI skills than me will have to check it, but I think her options out of the first up B are about like they were before, other than the fact that downward ABK is useless.

I don't think she's trash. She can still get some pretty good damage off of combos, kill with them at high percents (only when U-air/Bair starts to kill), witch twitch is still really good though it's less stupid. Witch time didn't get touched they she's not getting free kills off it anymore since she can't pull that dive kick abk combo set-up. Like Jaxas said, since you don't really care about getting hit by ABK, you can kinda just throw out smash attacks or anti-airs when you predict one and even if it beats you, so what, you take some damage. She really has issues with enemies that just spam shield and grab her since she can't safely shield pressure.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hmm, so with all this what strengths does Bayonetta still have going for her?

WTwist is solid, but the reward on it is way lower now of course.
BA-Nair edgeguards still wreck a lot of characters... if you can get them there, of course, but hey dABK kind of seems to do that alright? Not sure, just going off of the video so I have no idea what the DI cone is.
She should still have Dtilt->Utilt->(Utilt->)Uair->WTwist->uABK->Bair, just using her non-special moves for the most part. Obviously Dtilt is much harder to land now, though.

Really though, I think Bayo's poor neutral (which is actually poor now, since dABK has almost no threat; it's probably still pretty safe, but the reward is just so low that it's worth challenging now) is going to be a major problem for her.
Her neutral is still fine, and most bayos don't even come close to utilizing it fully. Because they don't need to. Bullet climax will probably function as the core of her neutral instead of fishing for afb/witch twist/time.

Since it can be canceled into any of her specials, it lets her stuff grabs with witch twist, higher aerial approaches with afb, and apply grounded pressure by canceling into bullet arts dair.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
There was some post-patch Bayo play on stream and the nerfs don't seem that bad. They're harsh, but she wasn't gutted.

She still has the same combos that were advertised in her trailer ie Witch Twist to up ABK to up ABK to 2nd Witch Twist. Witch Twist OoS is still incredibly safe, just a little harder to hit with and can be challenged with disjoints (but not on reaction).

She can still 0-death off Witch Time but the counterplay/DI to all the new angles hasn't been fully explored yet.

The biggest thing is that anything involving divekick no longer combos except on superheavies like DK, and only with no DI. Hurts her neutral since she no longer gets crazy reward off what was a very safe poke, and hurts her combo game for obvious reasons.

She's a lot more sensible but she should still be good. Although unless she hits a Witch Time, she WILL be killing at much later percents if up B 2 doesn't combo into anything.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I think it's safe to say that dABK was much better than it was intended originally. That move was nuts, seriously: it combo'd into itself and brought the opponent incredibly high. In fact, I predicted the angle nerf.
Now Witch Time will probably be used more, as it was always intended, as of 1.1.5 no one really used it.
Hopefully Bayonetta players will start to explore her neutral more.
Just one question: how big is the change in SDI of her two Witch Twists now? Is it still quite hard or is it braindead easy to escape?

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
My gut instinct says that this will be a nerfed Diddy/Sheik situation where everyone loses their minds and calls Bayo mid-tier, but she still ends up being very viable.

Is the patch out for us to play
No, but it's already on the servers. Dataminers and modders are able to download the files and see what's changed, then mod their copy of Sm4sh with the new files to play the changes in-game.

It will most likely be out for us to play after tomorrow's maintenance.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Bayonetta is likely still great, though now with SDI multipliers being on everything will find it a lot harder to hit followups. I imagine Bayo will find it hard to kill atm outside of Witch Time (unless I'm wrong and ABK-->Uair still connects)

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
My b. And yea, I'm curious to see the optimal punishes off low witch time useages (When smashes aren't quick enough)
There was a 0-death on DK from Witch Time posted on Reddit. It only worked by barely connecting downward ABK with the 2nd Up B at the blastzone though. Looked very DI-able.

I am expecting Up B, up Side B, up Side B, Up B to still kill if you hit high enough with the first Up B, which is easy to set up from Witch Time at any percent.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
My gut instinct says that this will be a nerfed Diddy/Sheik situation where everyone loses their minds and calls Bayo mid-tier, but she still ends up being very viable.
I don't know, this seems more like a Luigi or at least MK situation. I've been theorycrafting ZSS' matchups hard on my spare time ever since I came back from my break in March, and I've really wanted to put Bayonetta as a 50:50, but then I play HoSmash4 HoSmash4 who never drops the combos (unless I guess right) and realize how dominant Bayo's advantage is, and then I consider it a 40:60. I would imagine this is the case for many other characters as well.

Soon a new meme will be born, and that meme shall be "my main x" beats Bayonetta.

but it might end up being more than a meme for many of them

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The biggest thing is that anything involving divekick no longer combos except on superheavies like DK, and only with no DI. Hurts her neutral since she no longer gets crazy reward off what was a very safe poke, and hurts her combo game for obvious reasons.
Wouldn't that be her advantage stage that's hurt? Once she scores a hit and is looking for followups, you're no longer in neutral.

I'll grant the threat of good reward can influence how the opponent moves in neutral though.

Greward

Smash Lord

Actually zinoto said in his ask that diddy's bad/difficult matchups are :4cloud::rosalina::4luigi:, so just 3.

http://ask.fm/Zinoto/answers/135396786783

And they're probably a slight disadvantage at worst

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Also I forgot to bring it up, but Rosalina as #1 in the game? I highly doubt that. Main bias aside, she loses to Meta Knight and Cloud and in my personal experience she needs to play very carefully around disjoint in general (Marth, Ike, probably Corrin). With Cloud in particular being a fellow top tier character, I think she's kept in check enough to preclude her from being best in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom