• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
You can't be serious, Larry.

Bayonetta literally outpunishes Ganon with no effort. His fat brown *** takes 40% off of basically nothing. He gets completely bodied offstage too. Nair/Dair murder him offstage and are safe. Dsmash is good too because of his linear recovery. He's not amazing at punishing Bayonetta offstage either. Ganon has to be extremely careful when punishing recoveries or he's taking hits/potentially dying.

Ganon is barely able to poke Bayonetta at all. Witch Twist destroys all his buttons and parries are free as ****. Jab and Dtilt are really good in this matchup in particular and are kinda better than his normals. Even if he gets hits he can't make up the damage. Ganon basically doesn't have an advantage ever because her damage racking and top-tier disadvantage state body his tools.

Just because the characters have similar gameplans doesn't mean that they're going to do them equally.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

bayonetta literally outpunishes ganon with no effort. his fat brown *** takes 40% off of basically nothing. he gets completely bodied offstage too. nair/dair murder him. he's not amazing at punishing bayonetta offstage either. ganon has to be extremely careful when punishing recoveries or he's taking hits/potentially dying.

ganon is barely able to poke bayonetta at all. witch twist destroys all his buttons and parries are free as ****. jab and dtilt are really good in this matchup in particular and are kinda better than his normals. even if he gets hits he can't make up the damage. Ganon basically doesn't have an advantage ever because her damage racking and top-tier disadvantage state body his tools.

Just because the characters have similar gameplans doesn't mean that they're going to do them equally.
He's talking about Doubles partners. Which is why I like that post. Witch Time + PK Flash or Ganon's anything is nasty.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
He's talking about Doubles partners. Which is why I like that post. Witch Time + PK Flash or Ganon's anything is nasty.
"Of course, an even MU with Bayonetta has to be Ganondorf. In that battle, it's not about who strikes, it's about when does it happen and how does it happen. It's like your putting a sloth up against a sloth with better running speed, but weaker attacks."

-his post after that, which is what I'm refuting.

I agree with the dubs stuff though.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
"b-but patches are done!"

Yeah this is why that's not happening.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
https://twitter.com/BlankSmash/status/696152585535934464
https://twitter.com/BlankSmash/status/696155464862670850

Corrin is a one-man Wobbling crew off of any getup attack or platform edge. Enjoy.
Corrin's... Corrin's like the glitchiest and weirdest DLC character. Corrin causes random vibrations to grabbed people, Corrin causes random, basically T-poses after hits, and then there's this.

Thank you, Corrin, for reviving Falco's laser lock. Hopefully, this can be escaped somehow, but it would be hella stupid in teams when it's 2v1 since the victim's teammate would have to be dead or a blithering idiot to not do anything about this. Not as crazy as Mr. G&W's Bucket shenanigans, Lucas's heal tactic, or even Double-Cloud, but still...

"b-but patches are done!"

Yeah this is why that's not happening.
The above embedded Twitter is probably an example of Smash 4 always needing a tune up not to mention those Corrin glitch videos posted a day ago. There's no such thing as a perfect game. If there was, it would be boring and stagnant.

Edit: Oh, lord... Her pain sound... It's like a bird chirping or something...

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What's going on? Is he rhythmically tapping the grab button or something?
He's just holding ZSS on a ledge, and her wiggling on and off it keeps resetting the grab duration.

I had a pretty easy time replicating it, but when I tried with other characters I couldn't get it to work so I'm not sure if it's ZSS specific. If it is, I'd call it retribution for that footstool infinite ZSS had on Robin back in 1.0.0

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
What does Ganon get on Bayou Netter from Flame Choke? This is going to be his one last hope, probably.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Rosa's only slowed by Luma being Witch Timed within a certain range. Can't test this too thoroughly by myself on 3DS but perfectly spaced jab1 might be safe, if not then jab2 definitely is. I assume this applies to Pikmin and other projectiles as well.

Also confirming everything you said about Bullet Arts. For the sake of wholeness, neutralB bullets are considered normal projectiles though.

He's had this since release and it gets "discovered" every single patch.
I was basically considering what would happen if Bayonetta let herself get hit by a non-Purple side B from Olimar, then walk up and Witch Time. Would she get a free slowdown?

What does Ganon get on Bayou Netter from Flame Choke? This is going to be his one last hope, probably.
Catfish most likely, going by your spelling.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I had a pretty easy time replicating it, but when I tried with other characters I couldn't get it to work so I'm not sure if it's ZSS specific. If it is, I'd call it retribution for that footstool infinite ZSS had on Robin back in 1.0.0
We entertained the thought that Corrin was designed as a Zamus/Rosa counter in the same way we thought Bayo was designed as a Sheik counter, but good lord, this is going overboard a bit, isn't it?

:V

Megamang

Smash Lord
Witch time punishes are fine and dandy to theorize, but remember its 2v2, not 2v1. So the other guy, not witch timed, is gonna try and stop you from setting up. He'll pretty easily stop a reverse warlock punch.

Probably the best kill setup will be bayo double usmash -> witch twist -> zss or rosa uair ceiling kill, since they are mobile and threatening enough to do that in the midst of things. Double usmash into finishing touch might also be deadly. And Cloud isnt exactly a bad choice for doubles, ever...

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

"Of course, an even MU with Bayonetta has to be Ganondorf. In that battle, it's not about who strikes, it's about when does it happen and how does it happen. It's like your putting a sloth up against a sloth with better running speed, but weaker attacks."

-his post after that, which is what I'm refuting.

I agree with the dubs stuff though.
Well thanks for agreeing with the dubs, but in all seriousness, I know about Bayonetta's advantages over Ganondorf, however, you're ignoring Ganondorf's selling points against Bayonetta in the process.

Both are extremely slowly attacking characters, yeah, but even with Bayonetta's advantages, Ganondorf also has advantages in blocking her attacks, since her attacks are almost as slow as his. Not only that, but her aerials are horribly unsafe against any sort of shielding method, so if Ganondorf shields just before Bayonetta lands with an N-Air or U-Air, that one hit negates all of the rest of the attack, thus allowing Ganondorf to actually punish her.

And Ganondorf just isn't deliberately going to run into Bayonetta's Witch Time; that's one thing that's a free punish, aside from Bayonetta's rolls and Smashes.

And let's factor in Bayonetta's lag after using her Up B twice; Ganondorf, along with other opponents, is always going to be facing Bayonetta once she uses her Up B, so what should he do in this case? Air dodge into fast fall or Wizard's Foot. Bayonetta can't do much outside of normal attacks and when she lands, she'll land hard enough for Ganondorf to still punish.

Bayonetta has a good edge-guard game against Dorf, but the same can be applied as a vice versa. Simply put, D-Spec, D-Air, U-Air, B-Air, Flame Choke and F-Air all are detrimental to Bayonetta in terms of being edge-guarded. If she goes for a Side B, there's a free F-Air, Flame Choke or U-Air to Ganondorf. If she goes under the stage, there's a free D-Spec, B-Air, F-Air or D-Air for Ganondorf.

In the MU, it's like a literal game of dodge ball, because either one of the characters we have can make a horrid mistake that will cost them a stock. It's like "who will get their damage in first", sort of like that deal.

Witch time punishes are fine and dandy to theorize, but remember its 2v2, not 2v1. So the other guy, not witch timed, is gonna try and stop you from setting up. He'll pretty easily stop a reverse warlock punch.

Probably the best kill setup will be bayo double usmash -> witch twist -> zss or rosa uair ceiling kill, since they are mobile and threatening enough to do that in the midst of things. Double usmash into finishing touch might also be deadly. And Cloud isnt exactly a bad choice for doubles, ever...
Actually, there's the thing; Witch Time can be used as sort of a mind game on certain stages. If one opponent is Witch Timed and the other isn't, and Ganondorf is using a reverse Warlock Punch, if I were a player, I'd actually go for the teammate rather than the Witch Time'd opponent, just to actually scare the hell out of the opponent. Bayonetta can still, alone, be able to fight the opponent in Witch Time, and maybe the Witch Time'd opponent doesn't necessarily have to be the target either! The teammate can be the target as the Witch Time'd opponent is sitting there doing nothing to contribute.

But if both opponents have it...then congratulations, you've got combos for days.

Also, Bayonetta setting up into Ganondorf's Flame Choke on an opponent in Witch Time is possibly going to be effective in the future. Somehow, some way, it seems like a possibility.

And I'd like to say that ZSS and Rosa's setups would need to happen AFTER Witch Time is over, only due to their jumping height being a problem with the Timer physics in play. It's advised to do it after Witch Time as to avoid being punished.

And with Cloud, I've got to see that in action. But Cloud can also use his B-Air in tandem with Bayo's U-Smash on opponents. Same can be said with Falco's B-Air, Ganondorf's B-Air, Bowser's B-Air and Zelda's F or B-Airs.

Basically, Bayonetta is the all-around useful doubles partner that makes any combination viable.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
He's just holding ZSS on a ledge, and her wiggling on and off it keeps resetting the grab duration.

Speaking of ZSS and footstools...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also, I really, really want to know the frame data on Corrin's Counter Surge since it seems ridiculously powerful... Then again, each new counter introduced by the DLC characters get stronger and stronger. Roy's was strong in raw power, but was usurped by Corrin, Ryu's acts as a setup and movement option, and Bayonetta's acts as both a free-action counter and armor plus some free-action since you're still stuck in slow motion during Bat Within... WHY!?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Also, I really, really want to know the frame data on Corrin's Counter Surge since it seems ridiculously powerful...
Counter stance is 7-29f with no invincibility, same as Marth/Lucina. Didn't check its endlag.

Counterattack hits on frame 26 with a second set of hitboxes on frame 27 with slightly different angles/knockback. Min 8%, damage multiplier x1.3.

First set of hitboxes: 80° 74KBG 90BKB
Second set: 90° 68KBG 90BKB

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
We entertained the thought that Corrin was designed as a Zamus/Rosa counter in the same way we thought Bayo was designed as a Sheik counter, but good lord, this is going overboard a bit, isn't it?

:V
Can you elaborate on the Corrin vs. ZSS/Rosalina matchups? I'm not seeing it. (I also have limited Corrin experience in general unless you count Classic/All Star for some reason. Spoilers, you shouldn't.)

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Kurogane lists Corrin's active counter frames as 7 - 29 with a FAF of 64.

It also lists Witch Time with a FAF of 45... You know, in case it isn't already the undisputed best counter in the game.

Edit: :4greninja:'d.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Kurogane lists Corrin's active counter frames as 7 - 29 with a FAF of 64.

It also lists Witch Time with a FAF of 45... You know, in case it isn't already the undisputed best counter in the game.

Edit: :4greninja:'d.
Although it's also weird to use against multihits. I'm not sure if it actually gets stuffed or if Bayonetta just needs to be really precise with her followup, but either way it's a unique (?) weakness in a counter.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Counter stance is 7-30f with no invincibility, same as Marth/Lucina. Didn't check its endlag.

Counterattack hits on frame 26 with a second set of hitboxes on frame 27 with slightly different angles/knockback. Min 8%, damage multiplier x1.3.

First set of hitboxes: 80° 74KBG 90BKB
Second set: 90° 68KBG 90BKB
Hmm... Quick glance through everyone's counter and I'm guessing this is the whole Falco and Rosalina Uair deal where hit angles heavily play into which kills earlier / better. Everyone, except for Greninja who can choose his angles and Lucario whose counterattack is 70 degrees, has a horizontal, 361 degree, Sakurai angle Counter. Shulk's is also horizontal, but at 50 degrees. Corrin's is 90 degrees or 80 degrees... You're not going to DI that and it'll kill anywhere on-stage unlike the others where if you counter on the other side of the stage, the kill percent can rise drastically. Also, fun facts: by default, Roy has the highest multiplier at 1.35x while everyone else is mostly 1.2x or 1.3x, Mii Swordfighter's the only one to have a 1.25x counter, and, excluding Bayonetta and Ryu's "counters", Greninja, Lucario, and Peach are the only ones to have no multipliers, but work under set damage.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I was basically considering what would happen if Bayonetta let herself get hit by a non-Purple side B from Olimar, then walk up and Witch Time. Would she get a free slowdown?
Checked, and yes, if she's within range it'll slow Olimar.

Interestingly if Bat Within triggers, it knocks all Pikmin off her instantly. Wonder if that works for getting rid of Crash Bomber too. (EDIT: It doesn't)

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Can you elaborate on the Corrin vs. ZSS/Rosalina matchups? I'm not seeing it. (I also have limited Corrin experience in general unless you count Classic/All Star for some reason. Spoilers, you shouldn't.)
I personally have no claim into either of those MUs. I just recall talk about Corrin being potentially designed around Zamus's tools. Stuff like Fsmash outranging and outspeeding her dash grab, having a paralyzer and a "you got too close to me on the ground and now you're stuck" button of his own, a similarly landing-lagless Nair, Counter Surge killing vertically to royally trounce a botched Uair/UpB string, etc.

The super Fsmash he's got just happens to be the range Rosalina likes to operate at when synced with Luma, and Dragon Lunge kicks Luma out of the way along with the stab and such, so there was a few words about Corrin being able to contend with Rosalina just by sheer coincidence.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Rain lost to mow WR1 of SHIG Tournament.
Leo just lost WF to Serge as Marth, then MK.

Today is a really good day for :4lucario:
I just realized how appropriate Sean Schemmel voicing Lucario in English is. What happens to protagonists in your typical shonen manga when they're on the brink of defeat? They get stronger. What happens to Goku when he loses or is about to lose? He gets stronger. It's in his blood; his Saiyan biology allows him to get stronger if he survives a near death experience; Zenkai. Now, let's return to Lucario. What's Lucario's main shtick? Aura. And what does Aura do to him? Make him stronger or reach full power - depends on how you view it - the closer he is to death. Lucario is the shonen protagonist of Smash; he will win no matter what. It'll take time, but He. Will. Win. :p

Also, because I like undermining Falco and reminding everyone that Falco sucks...

This basically means all of Falco's Smashes work on the ledge if you don't have ledge invincibility anymore. Your poisons are: 16% from Up Smash, stage-spiked by Up Smash's first hit, death from Side Smash, and death or getting gimped by Down Smash. Enjoy. At the same time, because of Up Smash's new I-frames, Falco could pull off (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, and Mr. G&W Up Smash shenanigans, but not as safely since he has higher recovery on his Up Smash compared to theirs, but still pretty safe since it's invincible on his legs now, so it's a proper anti-air - SOMERSAULT SHELL -, the higher knockback letting it kill earlier, and it naturally has high active frames meaning ledge getups, ledge rolls?, and ledge jumps are dangerous if Falco reads them...

Speaking of which... Why don't we see a lot of Luigi players Up Smash like Mario players? It's basically the same hit-wise and safety-wise while having slightly better knockback than Mario's. It's not as good of an angle, Luigi's is 110 degrees to Mario's 83, and the knockback growth is weaker than Dr. Mario's 117, but the same principles are there. Also, pretty sure Up Smash out of run and JC'd Up Smash from Luigi covers way more distance than his bro's. The only "real" worst part about Luigi's Up Smash is the 12% hitbox somewhere which is still good damage on a safe move like that.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The problem with Luigi running around u-smashing people is the first verb, not the second.

Djent

Smash Champion
Leo's Cloud brutally forced Serge off of Lucario (which kind of confirms the theory that the MU is horrible). But then Serge took the tourney with a Cloud of his own.

Lucario seems to do very well in some MUs and really get bodied in a few others. This makes it kind of difficult to determine his viability, though he's obviously relevant.

Djent

Smash Champion
Some has been going all :4greninja: on-stream and is looking sharp. He plays Songun :4gaw: so we'll have at least two B-tiers in top 8 (the guaranteed one being Lucario), probably 3.

Some won. OSfrog in top 8.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Nice, so not only Some is doing well today, iStudying got 3rd at Avalon if I'm correct.

Today is being good for Greninja I guess

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Leo's Cloud brutally forced Serge off of Lucario (which kind of confirms the theory that the MU is horrible). But then Serge took the tourney with a Cloud of his own.

Lucario seems to do very well in some MUs and really get bodied in a few others. This makes it kind of difficult to determine his viability, though he's obviously relevant.
Relevant, or just unwise to count out because of how Aura works and stacks with rage?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Although it's also weird to use against multihits. I'm not sure if it actually gets stuffed or if Bayonetta just needs to be really precise with her followup, but either way it's a unique (?) weakness in a counter.
Worth noting, despite in-game tips to the contrary, Mac isn't invulnerable during Slip Counter and can get hosed by multihits as well. I've done it with Junior's FSmash before.

Random question, is the player Some's tag pronounced like the English "some" or "so-meh?" Leaning towards the latter because Japan.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Nietono beat Some so...

Some got taken out by 2 Sheiks, what a surprise lol.

I wonder if he went for the ditto though instead of going Gren.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
So Leo lost his first Smash 4 tournament, that's crazy! He fought Cloud dittos with Serge in GFs, after Serge sent him to Losers with his Lucario. Also, Leo played Marth for some matches and beat Javi's Sheik (one of the best in Mexico). Then you have Pollo's Bowser eliminating BryanZ (other best Sheik) and Regi finishing off Javi in Losers. Wild tournament.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
So Leo lost his first Smash 4 tournament, that's crazy! He fought Cloud dittos with Serge in GFs, after Serge sent him to Losers with his Lucario. Also, Leo played Marth for some matches and beat Javi's Sheik (one of the best in Mexico). Then you have Pollo's Bowser eliminating BryanZ (other best Sheik) and Regi finishing off Javi in Losers. Wild tournament.
Twitch link?

edit: nvm, thx homepage

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

Bayonetta literally outpunishes Ganon with no effort. His fat brown *** takes 40% off of basically nothing. He gets completely bodied offstage too. Nair/Dair murder him offstage and are safe. Dsmash is good too because of his linear recovery. He's not amazing at punishing Bayonetta offstage either. Ganon has to be extremely careful when punishing recoveries or he's taking hits/potentially dying.

Ganon is barely able to poke Bayonetta at all. Witch Twist destroys all his buttons and parries are free as ****. Jab and Dtilt are really good in this matchup in particular and are kinda better than his normals. Even if he gets hits he can't make up the damage. Ganon basically doesn't have an advantage ever because her damage racking and top-tier disadvantage state body his tools.

Ganon-Bayo definitely feels pretty bad from what I can tell. Surprisingly Bowser from my little experience seems to do OK even if he's combo fodder because he deals with her neutral far better. Bowser's limb intangibility helps a lot, and Tough Guy is actually useful against Bullet Climax. Bowser also has the benefit of true combos off grab, letting him build damage pretty quickly in spite of Bayo's disadvantaged state. Not sure how he'd hold up against an optimized Bayo, but I'd wager that he'd at least have a fighting chance, not worse than 40-60. Don't have confidence that the same could be said of Dorf.
Edit: Don't think Dorf gets anything off Flame Choke for Bayo.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Twitch link?

edit: nvm, thx homepage
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...tulations_to_the_winner_of_smashtier_3_vol_6/ Here's my mostly complete results/info thread

And everyone needs to see this Regi play: http://oddshot.tv/shot/tier3gs-201602073175258

Something I noticed during the stream is that Mexico really aren't afraid to go offstage to edgeguard, Leo especially, I mean he's got one of THE characters for it in MK. Also, his Marth was terrifying.

Edit: Cloud dittos be like http://oddshot.tv/shot/tier3gs-2016020743240635

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I am truly conflicted about Earth losing to Some, but I'm glad he's back on the frog side!

Or rather, I'm glad his sheik plan failed.

:150:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom