• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
One of the reasons I'm holding my tongue when it comes to Rosalina is because people claim that, with Sheik and ZSS getting nerfed, more characters that do alright against her have a chance to grow. I've heard arguments for :4falcon::4greninja::4myfriends::4megaman::4wario::4wiifit: doing well against her but I only really have experience with :4wiifit: (probably even at worst) and :4megaman: (pretty much a battle of who can be more annoying). Anyone else want to weigh in on these?
For Ike, on one hand it's really easy to knock Luma away and kill Rosa off stray hits, but on the other hand you will get juggled really hard for messing up. It's pretty even overall. Ike definitely looks to be stronger with two of his worst MUs being nerfed.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike vs Rosalina is like 50-50 or 55-45. We just tend to believe its 55-45 more, while Rosalina mains probably believe its more 50-50. -shrugs-

Its a potentially very important even-or-ever-so-slight-advantage MU to have in the upcoming meta. Ike vs Cloud is pretty darn close to even as well, probably more like 45-55 because LB is dumb. Which leaves Bayo (most likely, still very minimal experience among us in this MU) and Diddy as 40-60s among top tiers.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
To break it down into the simplest terms, training mode measures hitstun which you cannot jump out of. This is because regular launch hitstun continues to scale for jumping but caps (or scales slower after a point) at around 42 for airdodging and attacking. Not sure about specials (in Brawl you couldn't use a special until you could jump).

Training mode CAN measure true combos if you haven't reached the airdodge cap. The general rule is that the higher your opponent's percent, the farther they are launched, thus the less likely the combo is true.

One of the reasons I'm holding my tongue when it comes to Rosalina is because people claim that, with Sheik and ZSS getting nerfed, more characters that do alright against her have a chance to grow. I've heard arguments for :4falcon::4greninja::4myfriends::4megaman::4wario::4wiifit: doing well against her but I only really have experience with :4wiifit: (probably even at worst) and :4megaman: (pretty much a battle of who can be more annoying). Anyone else want to weigh in on these?
Greninja/Rosa is evenish I think. He has some excellent ways to deal with Luma and sloppy short hops don't fare well against Greninja's disjoints. On the other hand Rosalina is one of if not the best character at edgeguarding Greninja IMO due to how well she can cover multiple options at once. His crappy OoS game doesn't make her pressure much fun to deal with either, and she has the mobility to pressure him decently well or at least force him into the air.

There have been a few high level examples of this MU. aMSa got 33rd at a major last year, I think it was EVO, having narrowly lost to Dabuz' Rosalina (with nerfed Greninja) in pools. iStudy beat wilksy pretty decisively in BEAST 6 top 8. Would be interesting to see iStudy play Dabuz.

Dabuz has lost to his fair share of Falcon players, including random ones on Anther's Ladder. I think this perception comes partly from that. His record against Falcon has been much better as of late though.

I would think Ike does well for the same reasons as Marth only he can kill Rosalina even more easily, but I wouldn't be sure about weighing in on that MU.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Ike is amazing at killing Luma and can Eruption her recovery (which can kill her pretty early since she's pretty light). But globally I don't have much experience in the matchup.

But I highly doubt that Wii Fit is good against Rosa, her projectile game get completely destroyed and her hitbox are too small for Luma

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason the reason some players dont like :4bayonetta: is because she makes you feel your mistakes, and how your sloppy play cost you a stock all in your face.
with :4sheik: who was a better character, you dont see this because, his punish wasn't as strong as bayo, with sheik you probably will eat some damage, and think "o well my mistake only cost me 20 or 30% or space position not big deal, let's try again, maybe i will win neutral this time if not maybe a hard read will do it"

But with bayo is more like"if i made a mistake my stock is lost, or i will eat 40 or 50%, what to do what to do? o snap i lost the neutral why is she punishing me so hard i only made a bad move it's no fair"

This is in my opinion why some players really hate bayo, they are less bothered when a top tier character has stupid neutral but not overwhelming advantage state, that a character that has average neutral but overwhelming advantage state.

Pre 1.1.5 :4sheik: was like this: stupid good neutral game, excellent disadvantage state, but overwhelming advantage state.

:4bayonetta: is more like: average or above average neutral, excellent disadvantage state, and overwhelming advantage state.

But what is important is how they look in action, ask yourselves what looks worse: losing neutral against sheik numerous times, and die like at 90-120% or losing neutral against bayo like 3 or 5 five times and die at early percents(like 60 or 70),
of course losing to bayo "looks worse", but the thing with bayo is that your character have a better chance of keeping with her in neutral that sheik, even if losing to sheik doesn't feels as bad as losing to bayo, you have worse chance of winning against sheik that bayo even if bayo looks and feels worse.

This is why i think some players would need to improve their mental fortitude if they want to win against bayo, of course developing counter play is important, but so does your mental strength.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ike is amazing at killing Luma and can Eruption her recovery (which can kill her pretty early since she's pretty light). But globally I don't have much experience in the matchup.

But I highly doubt that Wii Fit is good against Rosa, her projectile game get completely destroyed and her hitbox are too small for Luma
Using the soccer ball and sun salutation to kill Luma isn't a bad strategy at all and, unlike most chargeable projectiles, sun salutation is pretty effective point blank. Even if it just hits Luma, that's still a 1/3rd of its health gone. The worst Rosa can do against Wii Fit's camping is force a stalemate while Wii Fit heals herself even if sun salutation gets pulled into gravity well. Ftilt, RAR bair, and even dtilt on stage send Luma flying while uair/fair from the ledge send luma away for a long time too. Offstage, they're largely even and both can kill the other fairly easily. Both have good ledge trump options against each other and one challenging the other can lead to a hard punish (Rosa and her dair spike and Wii Fit with her volleyball spike). When it comes to killing, deep breathing is a big deal in this match up because, with it, she can kill Rosa at the 80-100% range with things as simple as ftilt, sun salutation, and uair, especially if she has rage. Thanks to her light weight, all of Wii Fit's smash attacks (especially usmash) and even uthrow can kill at reasonable percentages too.

Foie

Smash Apprentice
Mii mains have had their characters essentially banned for a several months now because of the top level sophmoric whine fest. It's nothing new in the smash community, people use their positions of influence to advance anti-competitive agendas.

The anti-Bayonetta brigading going on right now is annoying as **** and has been stoked by top players using their positions to give legitimacy to what would normally be put down as low level ********.

Bayonetta has been out for a whole 50 DAYS. The players doing well with her on a national level have been historically strong players who either didn't play a lot last year (Salem) or were stuck using midtiers (Pink Fresh). It makes sense then that they would start doing better!

Luckily I think calmer heads will prevail and this **** flinging will end but this is pretty dumb. 50 days is not a long amount of time at all (there are work out programs longer than that), and jump straight to banning her when we haven't had the tournament data to prove she's abnormally strong at a mid-to-high level (unlike our spiky haired friend :4cloud:) is beyond stupid.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Seeing shockwave.

Do:4lucario: and to a lesser extent :4mewtwo: do well against :4bayonetta:?
One of my practice partners is a bayo main so here's my 2 cents on the MU, I find the MU incredibly volatile as we all know bayo combos are silly and rack up damage incredibly fast, recovering as lucario is annoying because of Bayo's solid offstage game and if you recover onstage as lucario you'd better get the right angle or that's the end of your stock, her bair is also something you should always have in the back of your head since its pretty strong, it's basically how most MU's go with bayonetta if you screw up it hurts.

Some advantages lucario has is of course due to bayo racking up damage so fast he gets aura incredibly fast so in turn thanks to that and to bayo having a top 10 fall speed comboing her is not difficult and he can rack up damage just as fast as she can with aura, just be mindful of bat within and be prepared to punish. Lucario being deceptively heavy helps out and holding shield is not that dangerous since she has a mediocre kill throw (seriously don't be afraid to shield against her), bullet climax is too useful in the MU due to lucario's relatively low crouch, being able to crawl, and aura sphere can go right through it. While good bayos aren't really throwing out witch time that much lucario can punish it harder than most characters. He has a command grab that kills, fsmash being so slow is actually useful for once since its very easy to hit after bat within frames during witch time (also having one of the strongest fsmashes in the game is nice), and if im too far away for a grab or a smash aura sphere is there to punish sloppy witch times. Aura sphere is a godsend because even if she witch times the aura sphere charge her smash attacks won't work because of the constant hitboxes and trying to manuver around aura sphere wastes time, also she can't really punish aura sphere too well so its safe to throw out more. Bayo being light means she dies early to lucario's kill setups especially with high aura.

Due to how volatile the MU is I say its 50:50 both parties can have a hard time they don't know the MU. I would love to hear some input from bayonetta mains.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Using the soccer ball and sun salutation to kill Luma isn't a bad strategy at all and, unlike most chargeable projectiles, sun salutation is pretty effective point blank. Even if it just hits Luma, that's still a 1/3rd of its health gone. The worst Rosa can do against Wii Fit's camping is force a stalemate while Wii Fit heals herself even if sun salutation gets pulled into gravity well. Ftilt, RAR bair, and even dtilt on stage send Luma flying while uair/fair from the ledge send luma away for a long time too. Offstage, they're largely even and both can kill the other fairly easily. Both have good ledge trump options against each other and one challenging the other can lead to a hard punish (Rosa and her dair spike and Wii Fit with her volleyball spike). When it comes to killing, deep breathing is a big deal in this match up because, with it, she can kill Rosa at the 80-100% range with things as simple as ftilt, sun salutation, and uair, especially if she has rage. Thanks to her light weight, all of Wii Fit's smash attacks (especially usmash) and even uthrow can kill at reasonable percentages too.
Are you saying that this matchup doesn't suck for WiiFit? Because it does. A lot. What does Wii Fit Trainer do against a smart, crawling Rosa at mid-range? Not much.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I just want to explain the vague "risk/reward" that Bayonetta supposedly breaks that people are spouting. I agree with that notion, but I don't think a lot of people on either side really understand why.

To put it simply, it comes down to her disadvantage state.

Witch time widely considered a polarizing move on it's own. This is there the imbalance begins. If the combo is performed correctly, she can kill you from any percent off a witch time. That itself actually isn't the issue though, it's the fact no other character is capable of this, meaning any potential punish of this move from a character other than bayonetta herself is not going to be present to match misuse of this move.

But, it's still punishable. Witch time alone doesn't decide games and there's plenty of one-sided stuff like KO punch, waft, etc present in the game. So then, what's the issue?

Generally, to punish this move you're going to stop your string short, land/position yourself and prepare a move to punish it. (traditionally a smash attack) with which to punish/kill her for trying to kill you. Guess right, and with her light, easy to hit body she's possibly dead.

But with divekick/dair/bair present, this means if she didn't use witch time and you THOUGHT she did, she still gains pretty much all the benefits of witch time outside of raw smashes.

This extends to her disadvantage as a whole, note how bayonettas tend to recover from the ledge. Very very VERY rarely will they ever do anything but ledge jump/rising kick. Because she knows despite having lost neutral, she gets to play a new game of "am I trying to kill you or just return to neutral?" with divekicks and witch times.

*Note: She can punish you trying to put a lingering aerial in the ledge jump zone with a rising kick on reaction in case you thought "always ledge jumping" was punishable

This means there's only one of two consistent ways to punish this combination.

One, is on-reaction grabbing, but few characters actually kill off grabs and certainly none anywhere near as potent as the way bayo kills off witch time. Luigi is the best example as he both does heavy damage off grabs and can kill a baited witch time with SJP. Lucario with force palm is also worth mentioning.

The next, is zoning her out. But, equipped with several potent zoning tools of her own such as dtilt arts, and bullet climax, she's also equipped with bar none the safest, most rewarding zone-breaker tool in the game.

TL;DR:

If Diddy was an issue because he was a good character with an advantage state way higher than anyone else.
And Sheik was an issue because she was a good character with a neutral way better than anyone else.

Then Bayo is an issue because she's a good character with a disadvantage state WAY better than anyone else.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pancracio17
Due to how volatile the MU is I say its 50:50 both parties can have a hard time they don't know the MU. I would love to hear some input from bayonetta mains.
Excuse me for not being as detailed as id like to be as a i dont fight many lucarios but from my experience it comes down to wether the bayonetta can kill you early with a combo or not, as a bayonetta player you need to make sure your combos can kill, and if you guess right a couple of times and he dies lucario cant use aura. However if she dowsnt kill lucario can live until backair and f throw kill which is like 120 and 140+ respectivly. If the lucario cand avoid your combos, he gets aura and one more mistake and you die. Oh yeah and force palm and aura sphere make witch time not that usefull.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are you saying that this matchup doesn't suck for WiiFit? Because it does. A lot. What does Wii Fit Trainer do against a smart, crawling Rosa at mid-range? Not much.
Camp like Hell. Defensively speaking, Wii Fit has a better roll, better spot dodge, only a slightly worse air speed, and a faster walk and run than Rosa so it's not an absolute total blow out by any means when it comes to defensive tactics in this match up. As I said before, Wii Fit has a lot of moves that knock Luma away or deal hefty with ease. That said, I disagree that the match up is a total crap shot for Wii Fit.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Camp like Hell. Defensively speaking, Wii Fit has a better roll, better spot dodge, only a slightly worse air speed, and a faster walk and run than Rosa so it's not an absolute total blow out by any means when it comes to defensive tactics in this match up. As I said before, Wii Fit has a lot of moves that knock Luma away or deal hefty with ease. That said, I disagree that the match up is a total crap shot for Wii Fit.
Would you like me to pull up footage that completely contradicts this? Like, John Numbers vs. Dabuz?

Smooth Criminal

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Would you like me to pull up footage that completely contradicts this? Like, John Numbers vs. Dabuz?

Smooth Criminal
Only matches I could find were from more than half a year ago and Dabuz went Olimar (which is a wonderfully god awful match up) for each of those sets. For reference, those tournaments were Pop Off 11 (literally two days after patch 1.1.0) and Pop Off 12. I mean, if you got them, show them by all means so that I can learn something from this situation.

Add in: I'll still wait on your evidence but isn't that kind of telling when the best Rosalina player in the world opts out of using her in the match up when people are insisting that it's a total slaughter?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeO9i-MUIAA3cXw.jpg
a graph of values of hit stun for Captain Falcon's dair on Mario
What a great post.

This graph in particular greatly interests me of course, so I'm going to focus on that!

For the percent ranges given, it would seem that airdodge holds even at 40 frames for 100-140 KB on a non-groundbounce move, while attack holds even at 45f for 115-135 KB.

To put some visual reference to that with a move that isn't groundbouncing, this is what 100 KB looks like:

And this is what 140 KB looks like:

So...it's pretty fair to assume airdodges will be capped at 40 frames in the majority of combo situations, but even when it isn't it'll still be possible long before jump.

EDIT: After talking to Shaya, apparently the numbers are different with groundbounce vs non-groundbounce due to velocity. Edited accordingly.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
At this point it's relatively easy to predict whether a character will get considerable nerfs in the future or not. When a character has had consistently dominating results they've received various moderate nerfs through great options being downgraded into good options, and when someone has had any abusive moves they've eventually gotten toned down even if the character hasn't been dominating at all. Examples of consistent results include Greninja, Rosalina, Diddy, Sheik, Sonic and ZSS, while examples of abusive moves include Bowser's flying slam, Little Mac's jab, Mario's utilt, Falcon's uair and bair, Luigi's fireball and dthrow, MK's uair and Corrin's fair, uair, nair and counter. Some of these nerfs are more warranted than others, but they're all still understandable since none of them really changed the characters fundamentally and it seems that's important to the development team.

It's pretty clear that at least Sakurai himself wants every character to retain what makes them special, so if a character has a move that's been consistently above average throughout their iterations, it's going to stay that way. At the same time Mewtwo won't become heavy, Ganondorf won't become fast, Falcon won't become slow and Bayonetta likely won't lose her combos. If she dominates, whether it's tournaments or FG, her risk/reward will get toned down but that's about it.

Community outcry doesn't seem to be a factor considering how long some of the nerfs mentioned earlier have taken, and thank **** for that.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
People who are actually trying to rate Pikachu below top 15 miss a lot of things about the character. I get that people like NairWizard NairWizard and Trifroze Trifroze are credible, but it really doesn't excuse the ways people talk about the character in this thread (which are off-base with virtually the entire community at large). Look, virtually no one thinks Pikachu is top 5 anymore. That's not an audience. However, putting Pikachu in the top tier bubble and as a real top 10 contender -- these are not based on empty reasoning. It's the credible opinion of many top players and individuals throughout the community and to imply that all these people are somehow stupid is a bit presumptuous.

First of all, let's look at his representation. It's not the best top tier representation, but it's a lot better than many characters and is literally the first thing people go after. A solo Pikachu main (most of the time) has achieved top 8 placings at multiple national tournaments, at a couple even making grand finals. This is a lot more significant than people realize. Let's go with the sample size of CEO 2015, EVO 2015, Super Smash Con, Paragon LA, TBH5, MLG, and Genesis 3 for the purpose of supermajors. The following characters have made top 3 at these tournaments:

:4sheik:7x, :4diddy:6x, :4zss:5x, :rosalina:4x, :4pikachu:2x, :4villager:1x

ESAM is one of 7 total players and uses one of 6 total characters to ever make top 3 at a supermajor. This isn't luck, and it's not just ESAM's skill. Skill doesn't get you through gauntlets of top tiers and highly skilled players for these types of placings. Look, I get that ESAM has a couple inconsistent placings (Paragon LA and Genesis 3), but it's stretching to say that ESAM getting 13th spells doom and gloom for the character. He lost to really good players, matchup inexperience is a thing in this game (ESAM doesn't even live in a good region that would help this), and not everyone is consistent. ESAM gets far more hate than anyone else for being inconsistent and far less praise than virtually anyone else for the top placings he does have (I didn't really feel like going further than top 3 was necessary but you can do that if you really want, ESAM is 4/7 top 8 and 7/7 top 16 which is better than many top players).

Who are the rest of Pikachu's representatives? He's not a well-represented character in terms of sheer numbers, but might as well mention who else plays him. NAKAT has brought ZeRo to the brink of defeat with Pikachu more than once and has achieved good results in his (spotty) tournament attendance. He plays multiple characters so you don't always see the Pikachu, but NAKAT is a representative that people often dismiss just because he likes to play Ness. The best Pikachu in Japan is Shimitake, who isn't really as good as the other top players in the country. But he's still done things like recently taking a game off 9B's Bayonetta at a recent tournament, as well as beating Earth and Kie to make top 8 at Sumabato 8. In recent months he's also beaten players like Umeki and Saiya. There's some other players who have done well at a local level like Z and Captain L.

Let's take a couple other characters we call top tier. Villager has Ranai, a top contender, and like one somewhat threatening player (MJG who is known for his inconsistency). Ryu's best representative (9B) completely dropped Ryu and in general got very inconsistent placings with him. Trela's placings are pretty whatever if you look at a national scale. Sonic has a lot of players, but his national level representation pretty much boils down to 6WX (who is a top player) and StaticManny (who is high level) with Komorikiri rarely using him at this point. With these things in mind, it's a bit perplexing to me that people don't consider Pikachu a top tier character based on representation alone. For some reason people care a lot about random local players doing well... His national level representation is superior to Ryu's and on par with that of Sonic and Villager. All of these characters are considered top tier without a second thought, and no one even brings up their representation as a factor. But when it comes to Pikachu, suddenly the floodgates are open.

Wanna talk matchups? I legitimately want to know who people think Pikachu loses to besides Mario, Ness, and maybe Luigi/G&W. It's not Rosa (every Rosa main is laughing at you when you say this), he's not even with ZSS (wins), he doesn't lose to post-patch Sheik, there's many arguments for him beating Bayonetta, he's argued to beat Ryu, and he's no worse than even with Cloud, Fox, Diddy, post-patch MK, Sonic, or Villager. This notion that he loses to swords is hilarious to me because by most accounts and the evidence we have he beats Corrin, Ike, Roy, Marth, Robin, Lucina, and whatever other 'sword character' you wanna bring up. There's substantial evidence that ESAM losing to SlayerZ's Peach is a player, not a character problem (Shimitake beats the Japanese Peaches, Umeki and Kie). Almost everyone agrees (I hope) that he doesn't actually lose to Dr. Mario. I guess he could lose to...Lucario? ffs post-patch Sheik has a worse spread of losing matchups than this (Rosa, Sonic, Mario, Lucario). Villager loses to the top 3 characters. Ryu loses to Rosa, Bayonetta, Sonic, Diddy, and Pikachu. 'Heavily overrated matchup spread' and 'worse than other top tiers' my ass. Learn something about this character's matchups and think for a second before you make generalized statements with literally zero evidence supporting this. Ness has MUCH worse matchups (virtually unwinnable vs Rosa & quite bad matchups against characters like Villager and Sheik still).

fsr people are always like Pikachu doesn't have enough advantageous matchups but he beats:4bayonetta::rosalina::4zss::4ryu::4peach::4falcon::4tlink::4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4corrin::4dedede::4dk::4falco::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4palutena::4rob::4robinm::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4wario::4zelda: and arguably :4diddy:(says all of ESAM, ZeRo, and MVD):4fox:(says both ESAM and Larry). I didn't comment on a few like :4pit::4darkpit::4greninja: that I don't understand personally and there isn't evidence to suggest either way.

Lacking neutral? You have to be kidding me. He has among the best ground mobility in the cast, including a great foxtrot and perfect pivot, combined with the single best overall mobility tool in the game via Quick Attack. He has a disjointed forward air that is safe on shield if safed properly, a down air that is safe on shield, dtilt for lagless spacing, a projectile, a good grab to punish overshielding (including throw combos, incredible positional throws to transition into Pikachu's brutal edgeguards), one of the safest and most disjointed forward smashes in the game that he can space with on shield and for counterapproaches if spaced properly (watch ESAM play or play vs any decent Pikachu if this concept doesn't make sense to you), and frame 3 nair oos. Quick Attack means that he can punish commitments and threaten space at virtually any distance; it's by no means a perfect approach tool, but the mixups and speed that is oppressive against certain characters make it a very effective move. This stuff about Pikachu being forced to overcommit in neutral situations is nonsense. He has to commit somewhat to kill (unlike certain characters in this game...), but this is a lot different than the stuff people suggest.

NairWizard NairWizard you underrate Pikachu's advantage state by a longshot. Pikachu has great mobility and options to juggle as well as punish landings. Forward smash and up smash are some of the meatiest landing punishes in the game, and Pikachu has the mobility to grab landings effectively which puts him in a position to exact his edgeguards and solid ledge pressure. Up air is quick and can keep people in the air, as well as lead into follow-ups that hit people off-stage. If a character can get too far away with an option like Bouncing Fish, Flip Kick, ABK, whatever, Pikachu has the mobility via Quick Attack to get there. He can also use Quick Attack itself to cover landings. The other part of advantage, when an opponent is off the stage, is Pikachu's specialty. He has the best edgeguarding in the game and great ways to cover typical ledge options (namely dair and fsmash). Pikachu is known for being able to get damage on and even gimp vs anyone and everyone with his Thunder walls, back air, nair, w/e.

Quick Attack also gives Pikachu one of the best disadvantage states in the game. Look, he struggles to kill, and yes that does matter. He has a throw 50/50, strong smashes, and top tier edgeguarding. Not everyone is good at killing. Sonic and post-patch Sheik stick out like sore thumbs, and once people stop falling for some of the gimmicks that Sheiks are getting away with right now she'll be even worse at killing. Mario has no kill setups whatsoever and pretty much relies on a roll behind back throw or someone to land on him so he can get an up smash. Killing is just one aspect regardless and it's not like Pikachu can't kill whatsoever; he just struggles a bit, which isn't even that abnormal among top tiers. Ya'll need to stop bandwagoning and actually think these things through yourself.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'll do my small bit here:

The data on the Ike side of things has the MU as even or 55-45 Ike. ESAM would have lost to Ryo if Ryo had remembered to hold down, ESAM has admitted as much in a video. Ryo lost strictly because of human error, nothing to do with Pikachu supposedly winning. And that was several patches ago: Ike has gained more strength since then than Pikachu has. (Pikachu gained some amount of shield safety with the one patch a while back and that was it. Ike gained 4 safe on shield aerials when spaced and more kill confirms/kill 50/50s during the same time frame).

The other (very random and few in number overall) samples we have of Ike vs Pikachu at any level really also supports 50-50 to 55-45 range from Ike's perspective.

Does Pika auto-lose to range? No. Throw in auto cancels + safe on shield aerials, very easy and very early kills out of Uthrow, heavy weight which means Pike struggles even more to land the kill, and a character that actually has a hope of edgeguarding Pikachu between Eruption and Fair's absolutely massive hitboxes, and things add up. Pika does not win the MU, the best he can do is call it even. Kinda hard to claim you win when you can die to a grab at like 80% with zero rage while struggling to kill before 150%.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
People who are actually trying to rate Pikachu below top 15 miss a lot of things about the character. I get that people like NairWizard NairWizard and Trifroze Trifroze are credible, but it really doesn't excuse the ways people talk about the character in this thread (which are off-base with virtually the entire community at large). Look, virtually no one thinks Pikachu is top 5 anymore. That's not an audience. However, putting Pikachu in the top tier bubble and as a real top 10 contender -- these are not based on empty reasoning. It's the credible opinion of many top players and individuals throughout the community and to imply that all these people are somehow stupid is a bit presumptuous.

First of all, let's look at his representation. It's not the best top tier representation, but it's a lot better than many characters and is literally the first thing people go after. A solo Pikachu main (most of the time) has achieved top 8 placings at multiple national tournaments, at a couple even making grand finals. This is a lot more significant than people realize. Let's go with the sample size of CEO 2015, EVO 2015, Super Smash Con, Paragon LA, TBH5, MLG, and Genesis 3 for the purpose of supermajors. The following characters have made top 3 at these tournaments:

ESAM is one of 7 total players and uses one of 6 total characters to ever make top 3 at a supermajor. This isn't luck, and it's not just ESAM's skill. Skill doesn't get you through gauntlets of top tiers and highly skilled players for these types of placings. Look, I get that ESAM has a couple inconsistent placings (Paragon LA and Genesis 3), but it's stretching to say that ESAM getting 13th spells doom and gloom for the character. He lost to really good players, matchup inexperience is a thing in this game (ESAM doesn't even live in a good region that would help this), and not everyone is consistent. ESAM gets far more hate than anyone else for being inconsistent and far less praise than virtually anyone else for the top placings he does have (I didn't really feel like going further than top 3 was necessary but you can do that if you really want, ESAM is 4/7 top 8 and 7/7 top 16 which is better than many top players).

Who are the rest of Pikachu's representatives? He's not a well-represented character in terms of sheer numbers, but might as well mention who else plays him. NAKAT has brought ZeRo to the brink of defeat with Pikachu more than once and has achieved good results in his (spotty) tournament attendance. He plays multiple characters so you don't always see the Pikachu, but NAKAT is a representative that people often dismiss just because he likes to play Ness. The best Pikachu in Japan is Shimitake, who isn't really as good as the other top players in the country. But he's still done things like recently taking a game off 9B's Bayonetta at a recent tournament, as well as beating Earth and Kie to make top 8 at Sumabato 8. In recent months he's also beaten players like Umeki and Saiya. There's some other players who have done well at a local level like Z and Captain L.

Let's take a couple other characters we call top tier. Villager has Ranai, a top contender, and like one somewhat threatening player (MJG who is known for his inconsistency). Ryu's best representative (9B) completely dropped Ryu and in general got very inconsistent placings with him. Trela's placings are pretty whatever if you look at a national scale. Sonic has a lot of players, but his national level representation pretty much boils down to 6WX (who is a top player) and StaticManny (who is high level) with Komorikiri rarely using him at this point. With these things in mind, it's a bit perplexing to me that people don't consider Pikachu a top tier character based on representation alone. For some reason people care a lot about random local players doing well... His national level representation is superior to Ryu's and on par with that of Sonic and Villager. All of these characters are considered top tier without a second thought, and no one even brings up their representation as a factor. But when it comes to Pikachu, suddenly the floodgates are open.

Wanna talk matchups? I legitimately want to know who people think Pikachu loses to besides Mario, Ness, and maybe Luigi/G&W. It's not Rosa (every Rosa main is laughing at you when you say this), he's not even with ZSS (wins), he doesn't lose to post-patch Sheik, there's many arguments for him beating Bayonetta, he's argued to beat Ryu, and he's no worse than even with Cloud, Fox, Diddy, post-patch MK, Sonic, or Villager. This notion that he loses to swords is hilarious to me because by most accounts and the evidence we have he beats Corrin, Ike, Roy, Marth, Robin, Lucina, and whatever other 'sword character' you wanna bring up. There's substantial evidence that ESAM losing to SlayerZ's Peach is a player, not a character problem (Shimitake beats the Japanese Peaches, Umeki and Kie). Almost everyone agrees (I hope) that he doesn't actually lose to Dr. Mario. I guess he could lose to...Lucario? ffs post-patch Sheik has a worse spread of losing matchups than this (Rosa, Sonic, Mario, Lucario). Villager loses to the top 3 characters. Ryu loses to Rosa, Bayonetta, Sonic, Diddy, and Pikachu. 'Heavily overrated matchup spread' and 'worse than other top tiers' my ***. Learn something about this character's matchups and think for a second before you make generalized statements with literally zero evidence supporting this. Ness has MUCH worse matchups (virtually unwinnable vs Rosa & quite bad matchups against characters like Villager and Sheik still).

fsr people are always like Pikachu doesn't have enough advantageous matchups but he beats:4bayonetta::rosalina::4zss::4ryu::4peach::4falcon::4tlink::4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4corrin::4dedede::4dk::4falco::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4palutena::4rob::4robinm::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4wario::4zelda: and arguably :4diddy:(says all of ESAM, ZeRo, and MVD):4fox:(says both ESAM and Larry). I didn't comment on a few like :4pit::4darkpit::4greninja: that I don't understand personally and there isn't evidence to suggest either way.

Lacking neutral? You have to be kidding me. He has among the best ground mobility in the cast, including a great foxtrot and perfect pivot, combined with the single best overall mobility tool in the game via Quick Attack. He has a disjointed forward air that is safe on shield if safed properly, a down air that is safe on shield, dtilt for lagless spacing, a projectile, a good grab to punish overshielding (including throw combos, incredible positional throws to transition into Pikachu's brutal edgeguards), one of the safest and most disjointed forward smashes in the game that he can space with on shield and for counterapproaches if spaced properly (watch ESAM play or play vs any decent Pikachu if this concept doesn't make sense to you), and frame 3 nair oos. Quick Attack means that he can punish commitments and threaten space at virtually any distance; it's by no means a perfect approach tool, but the mixups and speed that is oppressive against certain characters make it a very effective move. This stuff about Pikachu being forced to overcommit in neutral situations is nonsense. He has to commit somewhat to kill (unlike certain characters in this game...), but this is a lot different than the stuff people suggest.

NairWizard NairWizard you underrate Pikachu's advantage state by a longshot. Pikachu has great mobility and options to juggle as well as punish landings. Forward smash and up smash are some of the meatiest landing punishes in the game, and Pikachu has the mobility to grab landings effectively which puts him in a position to exact his edgeguards and solid ledge pressure. Up air is quick and can keep people in the air, as well as lead into follow-ups that hit people off-stage. If a character can get too far away with an option like Bouncing Fish, Flip Kick, ABK, whatever, Pikachu has the mobility via Quick Attack to get there. He can also use Quick Attack itself to cover landings. The other part of advantage, when an opponent is off the stage, is Pikachu's specialty. He has the best edgeguarding in the game and great ways to cover typical ledge options (namely dair and fsmash). Pikachu is known for being able to get damage on and even gimp vs anyone and everyone with his Thunder walls, back air, nair, w/e.

Quick Attack also gives Pikachu one of the best disadvantage states in the game. Look, he struggles to kill, and yes that does matter. He has a throw 50/50, strong smashes, and top tier edgeguarding. Not everyone is good at killing. Sonic and post-patch Sheik stick out like sore thumbs, and once people stop falling for some of the gimmicks that Sheiks are getting away with right now she'll be even worse at killing. Mario has no kill setups whatsoever and pretty much relies on a roll behind back throw or someone to land on him so he can get an up smash. Killing is just one aspect regardless and it's not like Pikachu can't kill whatsoever; he just struggles a bit, which isn't even that abnormal among top tiers. Ya'll need to stop bandwagoning and actually think these things through yourself.
Pikachu has a slightly winning match up with the Pits and maybe Greninja. Greninja might be even though.

:150:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Slow your roll Lil home boy. Considering I know the Bayonetta in Chicago, Tyroy, that beat Hyuga and nearly beat both Mr. R and Ally, I may be biased in this entire spiel.

Chicago is a salt mine and a place that until recently ran 6 stages (FD, SV, BF, TC, DH). What I'm getting at, is that I know we are weird, but we won't go that crazy and salty to ban Bayo.

Others may do as they please, but cmon, using JJRockets or Dan as your reference as to how salt levels in Chicago means you're gonna have a bad time and be confused as to how the scene actually feels.

I personally feel Bayonetta is stupid, but a lot of thinks are stupid in this game, like how sometimes flicking the cstick could result in an unwanted Nair or just easy grab confirm kills instead of trying to buff the actual character;etc. Stupid things shouldn't be banned, but just be known as being stupid.

Plus Tyroy plays mainly in Urbana Champaign cuz he's in school with me ( I highly recommend to watch House of Paign 10 April 2nd when Pound is on break). The competition is always strong there but Tyroy is just a tier above people there and even proving to be Illinois's best bet against invaders.
No.

I'm referring to ****ing Chicago talking about it on stream and saying things like that we banned Bayonetta and not giving any kind of research or even reading the situation before talking about it on stream and having all this **** happen.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
I think pikachu is rank 15-20 but whatever.
He's at a point where he's sp bad at killing but his neutral,frame data,and off stage is good too.
But the problem is so many top tiers have kill confirms or safe smash attacks and many charcters in the top tier have strong almost ungimpable recoveries. Pikachu seems archaic if it for a better word. He comes from an area wheere recovery and defensive options aren't good. He took this advantage making him the best charatcer in 64 and a repsectable mid tier in melee. However, in 4 he seems rather lacking due to gimping being harder due to new ledge mechanics and overall better recoveries across the board. At the same time if sakurai was to buff his kill power, it would come off hypocritical when luigi and sheik weren't allowed to have that much kill power.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
after reading the arguments on this page, the pika critics have me convinced. as much as i enjoyed playing him and practicing rar thunder/quick attack for hours, a lot of his flaws do become more apparent when put into context by insightful members. i guess he isn't that great, after all. maybe esam's achievements are just a result of his player skill and sm4sh's awesome character balance :)

NairWizard

Somewhere

Wanna talk matchups? I legitimately want to know who people think Pikachu loses to besides Mario, Ness, and maybe Luigi/G&W. It's not Rosa (every Rosa main is laughing at you when you say this), he's not even with ZSS (wins), he doesn't lose to post-patch Sheik, there's many arguments for him beating Bayonetta, he's argued to beat Ryu, and he's no worse than even with Cloud, Fox, Diddy, post-patch MK, Sonic, or Villager. This notion that he loses to swords is hilarious to me because by most accounts and the evidence we have he beats Corrin, Ike, Roy, Marth, Robin, Lucina, and whatever other 'sword character' you wanna bring up. There's substantial evidence that ESAM losing to SlayerZ's Peach is a player, not a character problem (Shimitake beats the Japanese Peaches, Umeki and Kie). Almost everyone agrees (I hope) that he doesn't actually lose to Dr. Mario. I guess he could lose to...Lucario? ffs post-patch Sheik has a worse spread of losing matchups than this (Rosa, Sonic, Mario, Lucario). Villager loses to the top 3 characters. Ryu loses to Rosa, Bayonetta, Sonic, Diddy, and Pikachu. 'Heavily overrated matchup spread' and 'worse than other top tiers' my ***. Learn something about this character's matchups and think for a second before you make generalized statements with literally zero evidence supporting this. Ness has MUCH worse matchups (virtually unwinnable vs Rosa & quite bad matchups against characters like Villager and Sheik still).

I appreciate your post and as far as results are concerned I have no strong opinions either way. Results are results are results are results. They validate or challenge our theory but don't define it. But as Shaya said, you have to know how to theorize properly.

Pikachu is very-low-risk, low-reward in a game where top tiers are either medium-risk, very-high-reward (ZSS prepatch) or very-low-risk, high reward (Sheik). I agree that he has the tools to read you and become high-risk high-reward or even medium-risk high-reward. That's just not good enough though.

I used to also think that Pikachu was top 5 and hoped that he could be even higher, but this was many patches ago. Somewhere admist the 50th Ike buff, the release of strong DLC, and the development of kill confirms (Diddy d-tilt -> buffed up-smash), the hope died.

If you want to play Pika, you have the tools to compete. But don't expect the consistency of characters who are likely better, that's all.

Djent

Smash Champion

CEO and EVO are no longer relevant in terms of results (both were 1.0.6, and one had customs legal). Half as much time has elapsed since those tournaments as has passed since the game's launch. We really were working with a different game back then. I'd also dispute MLG's status as a supermajor, since attendance #s weren't as high as the others on your list and it was missing key players like Dabuz.

"To the brink of defeat multiple times" = he took one game off of ZeRo in a set that went 3-1 and ended with him switching to Fox. (He lost 2-0 at SSC.) FYI Shimitake might not actually be the best Pikachu in Japan, he just has by far the most exposure. Zeke/Jiku also gets comparable placings and similar wins when he actually shows up to tournaments. However, I do agree about Peach being fine for Pika, though it's not even an ESAM problem; SlayerZ is just really good and was playing better that day.

In this very thread, people have questioned the viability of Villager (especially as of late, thanks to bad MUs against Cloud and Bayo), Ryu ( Browny Browny ), and Sonic ( NairWizard NairWizard ). There are many "second thoughts" in these turbulent times and you exaggerate the homogeneity of opinion here.

You switch to top player consensus here, but if we continue using results, then Pika loses to Fox and MK. He ikely (:4myfriends: EDIT: likely) fares no better than even against Rosa/ZSS/Ryu since all of these characters have convincing wins over ESAM as well as losses. As for Cloud, Villager, and Diddy, we barely have any recent evidence as to how those work at top level. Lucario data is also scant, but he can't be good for Pika so long as he's bad for Sheik. He might do well vs. Bayo but TBH I'm kind of jaded on the whole "Pika beats ____" case based on "arguments" alone.
I actually agree with a lot of these outside of top/high tier (though IMO Ike and Wario are more like even, and regarding Corrin, I have no idea).

His ground mobility is good but a better dash to shield would be nice. As for calling QA the "single best overall mobility tool in the game," lol. Witch Twist actually does a lot of the things that people say QA can do (though it doesn't work at "virtually any distance") with the added bonus of converting into death. It's still a strong move, you're right about that much, but please spare us the hyperbole.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
To be fair I don't question the viability of Ryu, the character is terrifying.

The issue is that no human can play him optimally. There is no reason to rank him highly, when an 'optimal' Little Mac for example, is top tier.

Ryu has too high of a tendency to get walled out which is higher than his tendency to basically 0-death chain people across and offstage, or utilt lock a fox to KO %. It isnt an issue of tech skill like one could argue that melee fox needs to be good, its that the precise spacing, %'s, rage, platforms and so many things need to be in Ryus favour in order to extend his combos and more importantly, his ability to come from behind if the enemy gets the first kill is just not that good if they want to wall him out.

Too many things need to line up in Ryus favour in order to be consistent and he doesnt have free, reliable attacks to safely rack up damage or KO with if hes behind. His defensive game is absurd though.

His national level representation is superior to Ryu's and on par with that of Sonic and Villager. All of these characters are considered top tier without a second thought, and no one even brings up their representation as a factor. But when it comes to Pikachu, suddenly the floodgates are open.
Give it time.

You gotta account for the fact that Sonic has been placing well since the game came out, he has long-time mains and its going to take a lot to make people forget of how dominant he used to be. Times have changed and Sonic is an afterthought these days when people think of top tier, overshadowed by Mario now, possibly.

Ryu is still benefiting from hype and people slowly learning that when you are at 80%, you have other options than landing an aerial on his shield and then complaining about the character. Ryu's results have been tanking for a long time and I'm sure in 6 months nobody will think hes top 10 anymore.

Villager, whether people like it or not, has had consistently great results out of Japan since the game came out. Unlike Sonic, he has stayed dominant there. Yes, if you took Ranai out of the equation and he mained Cloud of something, Villager would fall out of high tier almost entirely but 3rd place at Genesis is going to stick in peoples minds for a long time. If Ranai keeps maining him and still performs well, he will stay high tier.

Pikachu though, is unique in that he has never had the sort of performances that Sonic has and its only getting worse. He barely had a claim to top tier to begin with as esam was so inconsistent. He hasnt had a ranai-like performance ever to make people think hes top tier, hes just consistently outplaced by the likes of Mario, sonic, diddy, fox etc that make people put him around 8.

If esam ups his game and starts doing better, it is entirely possible that Pikachu would overtake sonic, villager and ryu who are all going down. They started higher than pikachu has ever been, but are falling faster than he is. Maybe they deserved to be that high to start with, maybe they didnt. The point is Pikachu needs consistent results and if he at least stays where he is, he will likely be regarded as better than ryu and sonic. As long as Ranai keeps maining Villager though, that probably wont change.

Last edited:

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
Bout the pikachu up throw to thunder thing, couldn't you just look at their controller and see which way they're planning to di? :secretkpop:

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
IMO there should be a rule about the Up Throw ->Thunder debate. IT NEVER GOES ANYWHERE. "It's a confirm" "No it's a read" "follow DI" "Blah blah blah" "blah blah, training mode lies" "I can do it" "ESAM can't"......It is almost as bad as the CSS debate and trying to tell low level players that Roy is low tier.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
after reading the arguments on this page, the pika critics have me convinced. as much as i enjoyed playing him and practicing rar thunder/quick attack for hours, a lot of his flaws do become more apparent when put into context by insightful members. i guess he isn't that great, after all. maybe esam's achievements are just a result of his player skill and sm4sh's awesome character balance :)
that applies to alot of players
Like Izaw taking Link to 9th at Beast6. Player skill means a lot. I don't know what got people thinking that bad character = bad results automatically.

Not that I think either of those characters are bad, mind you - Pikachu or Link.

Pikachu is still definitely top 10 in my opinion. He's got results to prove it. As long as he keeps results then there's no reason he should be considered bad or any version of "not that great." Just because it might look bad on paper doesn't mean it is.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
A lot of people exaggerate the homogeneity of opinion in this thread and I think it's really unfair. We spend a lot of time arguing with each other about a whole host of different things - if we agree on something, it's usually because we discussed it and came to some conclusion about it, not a collective circlejerk because we're 'friends' (although I'd like to think of this thread as it's own friendly community when we're not ripping each other's throats out but I digress). Furthermore people question things we've already discussed all the time. It's actually fascinating to think of how we've got a tier list in our head and go about constantly examining and re-examining those tier lists and MUs in our heads and verifying them against each other.

We might just be a bunch of hobbyists with a bit of time on our hands here, but I think a good share of people here are committed to the betterment of the community and our theory, and I'd say looking back at the 4 (billion) CCI threads we've had since this shindig started, you've gotta give people some credit for sticking around this entire time.

And yes, for the record I am skeptical of Pikachu's current placement, Ryu and Sonic's placements, the idea that Bayo is the new #1 (for the simple reason that high level play is better at being patient / playing around Bayo's mobility and avoiding death combos - at top level she probably doesn't win all the MUs she's speculated to win on paper. Cloud is also vastly more popular and tends to achieve higher results more frequently, I'm of the opinion that he's the likelier candidate) and Ness STILL considered as losing to Villager (because of one rather close set between FOW and Ranai). Gosh darn it guys. :p

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Only matches I could find were from more than half a year ago and Dabuz went Olimar (which is a wonderfully god awful match up) for each of those sets. For reference, those tournaments were Pop Off 11 (literally two days after patch 1.1.0) and Pop Off 12. I mean, if you got them, show them by all means so that I can learn something from this situation.

Add in: I'll still wait on your evidence but isn't that kind of telling when the best Rosalina player in the world opts out of using her in the match up when people are insisting that it's a total slaughter?
You're using horribly outdated examples (before Dabuz reached the level he is at today), and the burden of proof falls on you, not the other way around. That said, this recent example should tell you everything.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I've always felt like Rosa is WFT's worst matchup, it's just horrible to play.

Do note that custom WFT has Jumbo Hoops, one of the best anti-Rosa moves in the game, basically solving all her problems.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
It's pretty pointless to draw arbitrary lines like top 5, top 10 or top 15 when determining the capabilities of a character. It's clear enough that characters can be put into certain clusters in terms of their competitive viability, but within those clusters (some might have like 15 characters) player representation can completely switch things around. (oh right, these "clusters" are called tiers)

Undoubtedly some characters have more potential than others, but any character will absolutely shoot up 10 out of 10 times simply if a really good player picks them up, yet all of that success is often attributed to the character. Yes, there are reasons why a top player decides to pick up a certain character over another, but these people don't have any superhuman ability to see the hidden potential of a character no one else has ever considered before. Often it's most likely just "alright, this character seems capable and interesting to me personally". Consider that, and the fact that there's a relatively limited number of these really good players.

Robin, with no buffs from any patches, was considered top 10-15 early on just because Nairo used her.

Nairo stopped using her in tournaments, and she fell to bottom 15 very quickly. MK was considered to be in the 20-30 range before Leo happened, then he slowly made his way to arguable top 5.

It's completely irrelevant whether Greninja/Pikachu/Mewtwo etc is 15th or 25th. They're all probably in the same rough cluster and the biggest factor why one would rise up above the others is a top player picking them up and developing them really hard, or the meta changing in a really considerable way.

We might just be a bunch of hobbyists with a bit of time on our hands here, but I think a good share of people here are committed to the betterment of the community and our theory, and I'd say looking back at the 4 (billion) CCI threads we've had since this shindig started, you've gotta give people some credit for sticking around this entire time.
After reading this part I had to go back and check what my first message on the first CCI thread was, turns out it was me ranting about a reaction time of 15 frames or less being unrealistic unless you're already anticipating something. good start(?)

Funnily enough people still occasionally debate about it and will probably keep on debating.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Leo lost only his 2nd tournament today, a weekly in Mexico City to Wonf, who beat him 3-0 in WF and 3-2 in Grands in Bayonetta vs Meta Knight. Wonf was considered #3 in Mexico with Sonic, having taken a set off Hyuga and games off Leo.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
https://www.twitch.tv/hydraprogaming/v/56471588 (around 21:30)
This is a local/small tourney that just ended in which mkleo played against the rank 3 player in mexico now bayo main wonf
From the games before this I see he was one of the best mks when it comes to adaptation.
this was probably noticeable seeing as he relied on it the least.
Also for some reason leo gone sbayo for 2 games.
But games 3-5 are the most.
Despite this leo shows a decent amount of knowledge in stopping bayo's shenanigans
To be honest I wish wonf and maybe some more japanese bayos attended pound as to get mor einfo on just how strong she is. Because outside of a few most bayos we seen are kinda "frauds" in the sense where they fall apart if the opponet doesn't do what they want. But players like komo,9b,nf,salem,pink fresh seem more refined in it.
Even if people might complain about too many bayo's it would damn good if the best bayo's around the world showed up.

Ninety

Smash Journeyman

Robin, with no buffs from any patches, was considered top 10-15 early on just because Nairo used her.

Nairo stopped using her in tournaments, and she fell to bottom 15 very quickly. .
Not to derail, but who places Robin in bottom 15?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
When she was dropped by Nairo no one good played Robin and back then she didn't have the Checkmate to kill you at 95%, thus, instant bottom 15. But I digress, 3DS/early Wii U were dark times, we where still figuring out stuff, every grand finals was either NAKAT VS Nairo or ZeRo winning without effort (oh wait) and those times are laughable today. Those tier lists are still in google and they are complete jokes, they bring tears to my eyes.

Last edited:

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Well to chime in on this thought, you have to keep in mind how kindly the patches have treated Robin overall with quality of life changes making her a much better character.

There were some seriously great changes for Robin including:
-Wind jab actually connecting properly so the finisher could actually feasibly hit most characters and this is important since the finisher has good kill power
-Down throw buff giving Robin an actual serious and respectable grab reward at low % for damage and especially at high % with dthrow>uair being a potent kill confirm
-Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder ending lag being decreased which is especially great for Arcthunder as followups are far more potent now than back then (I believe hitting smashes off landing Arc at close range wasn't a thing until this change but someone correct me if I'm wrong)

And these changes also came with a lot of smaller and nice quality of life stuff like damage increases and hitbox size increases on moves here and there. There were also landing lag reductions given to all aerials at one point and a cooldown decrease on Down Smash which are good minor changes. Robin right now is a far far better character than the one we had back on 3ds who honestly felt kind of incomplete in a way to me so I'm glad for all the changes that solidify the character nicely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom