• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4/19 Gigabits - The Melee exploded into a Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
A real tournament?
A real tournament is a tournament that gives out money. :]

Nah, Hard knocks was a fake tournament....

it was like all the competition with none of the fun. My only real highlights were playing A-L and fully charged usmashing some fox. lol

Hard Knocks = phail

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I insist singles for this tournament be played over wifi using my school's wireless. Either that or establishment of inconsistently super laggy LCD tv's, i.e. tv's which vary randomly with an approximate poisson distribution between 1/4 second and 5 seconds of lag.

Of course, that would be taking even more skill out of smash than has already happened, but isn't that what Sakurai wants anyways?

I have never had as much fun with brawl as I did last night.

Making this game harder/impossible to control was freakin hilarious.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
Nah, Hard knocks was a fake tournament....

it was like all the competition with none of the fun. My only real highlights were playing A-L and fully charged usmashing some fox. lol

Hard Knocks = phail
I respect hard knocks for what it tried to do: helping a competitive gaming community. However, its just impossible to do so with plasma TVs and this would apply to any fighting game. I never questioned this however, mainly because, i never noticed, gigs takes 30% of the pot? Why dont they just do a door fee? Sorry if this has been discussed in depth back in the melee days.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Gigs used to take 50% of the pot, and awarded 45% to first and 5% to second. 3rd got something like a tshirt from the store. This was back in the second half of 05 and early 06. I wasn't too pleased about it at the time, but they were also the only tournament to even EXIST back then. So I guess we took what we got.

Not that I think it's a bad thing, it's just outside of the norm, especially compared to player run tournaments.

They switched at one point, to the current system (i think) of 50/15/5. At the time of the switch it was an improvement in giving back more to the players; I seem to remember commending them on the voluntary draw back of their take in. (Although I'm sure they've made more as attendence has been up above 16 smashers--the first tourney iirc.)

I also remember at one point (back when the payout was 45/5/shirt) it was discussed between switching to a door fee or not. In the end I think we decided not to just because we're all cheap dirtbags.
Even now, if you need to, look at it as a door fee of $4.50 and a tourney entry of $10.50.

Of course, the ideal tournament with regard to fees and payouts is no door fee with 100% of the pot being paid out. I'm pretty sure those in charge of gigabits realize this and they have made steps towards this ideal in the past. I realize it's impractical to think gigabits will ever fully achieve this ideal, since it is a business, but they have always been well aware of and respondant too the players wishes--even as far back as the first tourney when we convinced them to have 1v1 double elim instead of FFA.

Gigabits owners have always been the quickest to respond to the community's preferences and demands.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of, it's also kinda smash thing for when the pot gets big enough/enough attend to award prizes to more than just the top 3. I did it at LTEC2, and many other large(r) scale underground tournaments have done it as well.
Just thought i'd throw the idea out there... maybe something to think about for the next tournament.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
Yes, we changed it because attendance was good. Simple as that.

We maybe a business, but these tournaments are about you guys as much as us. When it comes to what we take from the tournament I need to be able to justify the tournament over our normal customers that come here every other day of the month.

As exarch said you can see it as 70% is the pot and 30% is the door fee, but I don't like to charge a separate door fee. As you know it gets kinda hectic during a large tournament and would be more time consuming to track it that way instead of just doing it with the brackets.

For this weekend guys we know that there will probably be a HUGE turnout and hope thats the case.

We will be clearing out a lot of space for this tournament taking computers off of the tables and such and will most likely be renting additional chairs, and possibly obtaining a couple more TVs for the tournament.

Remember guys that we need your help with Wii Setups as they are extremely difficult to get yor hands on right now.

Gindler

Smash Champion
So, I'm not expecting to show up too early (I'm a right on time kinda guy) so I was wondering what the chance of not getting into the tournament do to huge masses (multiple hundreds) of people wanting to participate and the lack of space in the center? I'm hoping 0% but I thought I'd check to see if I should leave earlier to get there before a cut off of some kind.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm not expecting to show up too early (I'm a right on time kinda guy) so I was wondering what the chance of not getting into the tournament do to huge masses (multiple hundreds) of people wanting to participate and the lack of space in the center? I'm hoping 0% but I thought I'd check to see if I should leave earlier to get there before a cut off of some kind.
There isn't any cut off other then if so many people show up that it isn't possible to complete in one day.

If we have so many people show up that they can't fit in the store then I will pool everyone up and have them wait elsewhere and have someone go get them when its their turn to play.

We will see what happen! Like I said though we are making as much space as possible available for this tournament.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Kirby's worst matchups are marth, g&w, and snake.

This tourney is gonna be huge.

This is the tourney where Colbol establishes his dominance in brawl, in teams with me.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
yea i just confirmed pipes/DP with DDD

he can grab you diagonally

Honestly i don't mind them being banned (LOL)

but for the fairness of the other smashers...

Meh. ban em.

Here's a challenge. Name a tournament better than gigs that is on the local level.

Gindler

Smash Champion
G&W is a pain, his vertical recovery is too insane and I hate how the trampoline messes with spikes. Getting killed by a 9 judgment is always fun though :p

But yeah, this is going to be an awesome tournament, even if I have to wait outside for my turn.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Alright...since the CG thing was confirmed (PK, you fail me), I moved the two stages in question to the banned list. I really doubt anybody minds that much anyway... So anyways

MWARHEAD: this is our official list, I'd say...set in stone and all that. If you could update yours, I'd appreciate it. : )

Gigs is amazing.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Banned:

Pipes (Yoshi's Island - Melee)
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Onett
Green Greens
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Pokemon Stadium 2
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
Nah snake is easier to fight than a good g&w. I play both all the time.
I think their both on the same level, with GW being just a tad bit more harder/gayer to fight. How do I know Ryan?? cuz my kirby ***** yours.
yeah xyz is dirty
<3
G&W is a pain, his vertical recovery is too insane and I hate how the trampoline messes with spikes. Getting killed by a 9 judgment is always fun though :p

But yeah, this is going to be an awesome tournament, even if I have to wait outside for my turn.
9!!! 000000000

I think a certain team "nahhhh, like i'm str88888!!!" are takin teams, joeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetru?

Frames

DI
About the dedede chain grab thing on distant planet/yoshi's, who are you using to test? PK and i were playing around with it, and we can't seem to get it to work with Ike. Is it maybe certain characters?

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
Something tells me there isnt going to be much room for anything not brawl related, every tournament has been having huge turnouts.

Oh and me and my crew will be there in full force :)

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
chances are I can come if someone like from WATO can drop me off at home b4 like 11 that'd be awesome.
my parents just get pissed when I come home late so if anyone is leaving early let me know. If not then unfortunately i can't go.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Lol kevin you get ignored too much on the forums =P

Yo Darrel we tried the cg thing with ike on the slopes and on DP I can do it fine but I couldn't on yoshi I probably just suck but just letting you know.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
Ok, i dont know if this was a real post, perhaps i made it up in my head, but was their a post someone made MM-ing Double cheeseburgers? If we are talking Burger King, you just made the worst mistake of your life.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ooo if that insane rumor is true I'll MM doublecheeseburgers. Do you take mcdonald's dollars? I got some for my birthday recently :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom