• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Update speculation thread: Please ground your expectations to contain HYPE

TreK

Is "that guy"
My region's top player, *Zen, has a 100% shield drop rate. We kinda go into the match expecting him to shield drop, and adapt accordingly, it's not such a big deal. Actually, if they made shield dropping easier, it would let us train our anti shieldrop strats on other players, and we'd be able to apply that knowledge against players who we'd expect to have 100% shield drop rate anyway.

Tbh I'm kinda neutral about this suggestion. I don't see it as necessary but I don't see it as a bad change either.

Xtreme Dragon

Smash Cadet
I find it easier to wavedash in Melee than in PM mabye they could fix that
I no it wont happen, but it would me nice if mute city (melee) returns :joyful:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think the wavedash thing is a result of the buffer or something of that sort going on in P:M.

I doubt it will ever change but I really wish it would! It'd make my execution a lot better because I'm good at WDing in Melee with Mario but it just does not feel the same in P:M.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I hope they put back in the white flash and thud noise from Melee when someone gets hit at higher percents. Or at least something analogous. Even Smash 4 has something like this.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I hope they put back in the white flash and thud noise from Melee when someone gets hit at higher percents. Or at least something analogous. Even Smash 4 has something like this.
There's a white flash? Have a video?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I think I notice it, but is it rendered for only the standard screen size and not appear in the widescreen that Dolphin I guess enabled? And it doesn't appear to be white all the the time, it looks red and blue. We're talking about the screen flashing white right?

I'd also have more of an opinion on shield dropping but I'm not briefed on how it currently differs in PM than Melee concerning the leniency/input range. I'm trying to think if Umbreon's idea of having C-stick down trigger it would mess with anything, besides making spot dodge have to use Control stick while on platforms (and given they can code it to work as spot-dodge when you're not on a platform). When you'd use that method you'd also want to use A+Control stick for Up-air (and maybe use claw grip for that). You'd also lose buffer spot dodge on platforms (except in the Wifi verion's type which uses Control stick and just needs C-stick pointed in any direction; with the downfall in comparison being you can't choose a preemptive DI direction given you're choosing that direction to perform the roll/spot dodge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H-D-RTrt0c ).

Would the shield drop be then buffer-able via the C-stick like the other shield actions? That then is a super over-advantage.

Last edited:

Kix

Smash Journeyman
The flash that occurs in conjunction with the thud noise when the opponent is hit with a powerful attack at a higher percentage. I never noticed these things consciously until it was pointed out to me but it definitely goes a long way for the feel of the game. Hits are much more satisfying.

This is something small that I believe should be implemented into the next release, if at all possible. If not, if someone else could put this in I would be very happy.

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
It looks like a lot of the gimmicky things that are holding this game back right now will be toned down/removed, leading to a game that rewards good fundamentals notably more than 3.02 has. That will probably also make the game more hype to watch and play too, things are looking great!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Personally i think shield dropping should be left alone, its fine the way it is now.
Is it just me or does the gameplay look smoother?
I notice it too. I cant lay my finger on it, maybe it could just be the video editing effects, but the gameplay looks slightly different from 3.02.
___
Which makes me pretty excited to see how this new version will end up turning out. Hopefully they'll remove/tone down the gimmicks and make it more fundamentally based like fatality said. Imo the overall feel of the game should be somewhere right in the middle of the current version (3.02) and Melee in regards to movement, and should be basically exactly like Melee in actual metagame/thought process, while the main differences between the two should resonate with the overall balance, # of characters, new stages, graphics, etc. I mainly feel PM, at least the final version, should basically be the "Melee HD" people have been talking about.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
The gameplay being smoother is probably a result of changes to landing detection.

PMDT has talked about issues with landing detection in current versions of PM, which is why wavedashing and wavelanding feel a little weird, but they've stated that they've fixed these problems for 3.5

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Is it possible that for 3.5 the PMDT/BR removed the "buffer" that was kinda stuck in Brawl's engine and thus passed on to all the PM versions?

Could that be why 3.5 looks a bit different from 3.02?

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Is it possible that for 3.5 the PMDT/BR removed the "buffer" that was kinda stuck in Brawl's engine and thus passed on to all the PM versions?

Could that be why 3.5 looks a bit different from 3.02?
They've confirmed that the one frame physics delay is not fixed yet, so no.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
You called that hard, dude.

I was just asking why it makes sense to you, though. I never gave it much thought myself.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I think removing footstool through shield was a dumb idea.

this essentially makes it useless

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Shield ASDI? I didn't actually know that was a thing. Why haven't I seen any mention of it for the Ganon v Falco matchup? 3.5 is sounding more amazing all the time. A new release that teaches me how to Melee better! Lol

Oh and non-Smash related, I got into the newer TMNT cartoon lately and it is surprisingly good!
Splinter: "The first rule of being a ninja is DO NO HARM. Unless you mean to do harm. Then, do LOTS of harm!"

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Shield ASDI? I didn't actually know that was a thing. Why haven't I seen any mention of it for the Ganon v Falco matchup? 3.5 is sounding more amazing all the time. A new release that teaches me how to Melee better! Lol

Oh and non-Smash related, I got into the newer TMNT cartoon lately and it is surprisingly good!
Splinter: "The first rule of being a ninja is DO NO HARM. Unless you mean to do harm. Then, do LOTS of harm!"
Because you don't read my posts enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53t9fDzdCyw

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think on that; aside from it looking more weird now where D3s just getting some wind breeze lifting his BBW body to the sky. Should at least do some shield stun to know what happened.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i wonder if the shield pushback fix means that you wont get pushed off a ledge/platform if you are the attacker now. i desperately hope so.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I just rewatched the Art Tuesday Finale. Don't know about the thud but there are flashes.

CORY

wut
BRoomer

not calling you out, you were just the first to mention it so it's convenient:

i was talking our playtester about some of the stuff and basically, they removed the shield drop because it gave spacies an unblockable setup (amongst other characters). being able to do normal shield pressure, then just go and do a footstool-wl into whatever you wanted was too good for fox and falco, specifically.

so, that's the rationale behind that change, from what i know.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Personally I think they could balance it if they really wanted. But I'm kind of indifferent I suppose. I like footstools as a shield poke option more than a combo option. However over time it would probably only get harder to use against competent players, to the point where it would go back to almost never being seen again.

Its just a cool way to punish predictable shielding habits that I would've liked to use a little longer until people wisened up to it.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Place your bets one who's going to have the best dacus of the new dacus-es. Here's a +1 for Bowser
Depends on your definition of best. If you mean longest, idk Luigi... it kinda suits him but idk. But best as in best utility by distance and strength, maybe Fox, Pika or Olimar.

Putting my vote on Pika tho just cuz.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Samus, Wario, Lucas, Charizard are all contenders for best DACUS, depending on distance/functionality.

Top Bottom