• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Update speculation thread: Please ground your expectations to contain HYPE

CORY

wut
BRoomer
no, he's pretty low tier in pm. power, damage, and decent non-disjointed range aren't what wins in the current meta. that would be safe options in neutral and ability to not overcommit (which actually ties into safe neutral options) are far more important and are things he lacks.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
no, he's pretty low tier in pm. power, damage, and decent non-disjointed range aren't what wins in the current meta. that would be safe options in neutral and ability to not overcommit (which actually ties into safe neutral options) are far more important and are things he lacks.
Clearly you've never played a good Ganon

Or watched Bidooof

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Something like Knuckles shouldn't even be considered in the first place. There are more deserving Nintendo characters that could be clones / semi-clones as well.

Not saying his playstyle wouldn't be fun or anything, the character himself would just be a poor choice compared to others.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Clearly you've never played a good Ganon

Or watched Bidooof
i've watched several great ganons. i've seen vex cliimb up through brackets and get stomped out at top 8 because ganon loses neutral super hard. denti plays an amazing pocket ganon, but never in tourney (outside of the mirror) because he's so limited.

he loses really hard to any sort of patient camping from a faster and/or projectiled character, especially once the stock lead is lost, forcing him to approach with heavy commitments. he's not terrible, but he's not a face wrecker, either. this is probably the best ganon's ever been, but being better than previous iterations of the character doesn't matter if the characters around him have changed.

he really doesn't need a huge overhaul, either, nor does he need to be turned into a top tier character. the changes i got to play with about a half year back looked like pmdt knew what was holding ganon down and that they had a good plan to work with. in 3.5 ganon just might be almost exactly where you'd want most of the characters (sitting in mid, with a low separation between the top and bottom tiers).

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
He needs better approach options. He gets wrecked by Mario's pills, Diddy's nanas, and pretty much any other decent projectile.
...or maybe the problem is the projectiles because they wreck other characters too, not just Ganon?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
...or maybe the problem is the projectiles because they wreck other characters too, not just Ganon?
I like how Mario's does a solid 8% and stuns you just long enough for you to take a second pill to the face and a smash attack that does another 16-18% on top of that. Dude's damage potential matches Ganon's.

Ganon is one of my favorites but he really does get shut out pretty easily. Doesn't really matter how beefy your hits are if you can't get in.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Let's not forget Link's boomerang to f-smash both hits
Blink once and you're up 45%

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Was there anything wrong with 2.6 Mario's fireballs and Link's boomerang?

Aside from the weird animation for Link's boomerang throw of course.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Was there anything wrong with 2.6 Mario's fireballs and Link's boomerang?

Aside from the weird animation for Link's boomerang throw of course.
Fireballs did not change from 2.6 to 3.0, and the link boomerang is unchanged since 2.6b (2.6b changed the anim from 2.6).

MLGF

Smash Lord
Fireballs did not change from 2.6 to 3.0, and the link boomerang is unchanged since 2.6b (2.6b changed the anim from 2.6).
Didn't 2.6 have hitstun decay on fireballs IIRC?
If not, 2.5 certainly did. Would it be rude to ask why the change was made?

Last edited:

red9rd

Smash Ace
The same nonsense crap i have been posting in speculation threads since pre 3.0 (yes I know some of this stuff has been added, but I didn't want to edit my old speculation post,)

-Lucas Osohe dance Taunt/ victory pose
-Lucas pulling needle out of the ground Taunt
-Olimar carried by Pikmin Taunt/ victory pose
-Mario Mario64 crawl
-1 to 5/6 player .VS
-old items from past Smash games
-old Pokemon from past Smash games
-choice to pick between the classic version of a stage and and the Project M version
-The ability to have story mode enemy's to appear in vs mode (like how it was in Melee.)
-more options for stamina mode
- Gannon with mullet
-online Project M servers with more options and modes
-cross play between Wii/WiiU and PC
-recreation of the first Melee Adventure stage

Top Bottom