• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3/29-3/30 Hard Knocks Brawl - Orlando

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
This thread is also located in the Tournament sub-section of the forums, but I figured I might as well throw it on here as well.

___

CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE SIGN UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT. Where it says Account Name, unless you have an actual Hard Knocks account, please use your first and last name together as your account name.

Hard Knocks Orlando is holding it's inaugural DOUBLE ELIMINATION Smash Brothers Brawl tournament co-sponsored by GameStop. From the release on March 9th leading up to the GameStop Regional tournament March 29th and HardKnocks' own SSBB tournament March 30th, Smash Brothers is taking over Hard Knocks.

No need to bring your own TV, Wii, or controler...we have it all!

6 Wii's (and picking up two more soon!), each with their own 1080p HD Samsung 40" Flat Screen, component cables, brand new GameCube controlers, Wii classic controlers.

A direct link to the post on our forums is located here.

Location: Hard Knocks Orlando - Orlando, Florida ----->Directions here<-----
Date: Sunday, 3/30/2008
Time: 1:30pm Start

*Long list of rules incoming*

Prizes
1st Place - $250 plus 50% of entry fee pool
2nd Place – $100 plus 10% of entry fee pool

Registration
$10 early registration (3/10/2008 – 3/23/2008)
$20 late registration (3/24/2008 -- 3/28/2008)

General Rules for Hard Knocks Brawl 1v1 Tournament
  • Wii’s and Brawl is provided by Hard Knocks. We also have classic GameCube controllers. Participants may bring their own unmodded controllers, but they CANNOT be modded in any other way than aesthetically. If anyone is found breaking this rule, they will be immediately removed from the tournament.
  • Random Seeding will be in effect.
  • Items will be OFF
  • Smashballs will be OFF
  • Character availability will be announced on the day of the tournament.
  • Mage’s DQ rule will be in effect for all matches.
    2 Minutes late = warning and / or minus 1 stock
    4 Minutes late = loss of 1 match
    6 Minutes late = forfeit of round

First Round (and other preliminary rounds if necessary)
--- Random selected neutral stage
--- 3 Stock
--- Best 2/3
--- Time Limit: 6:00

Second Round--- Random selected neutral stage
--- 3 Stock
--- Best 2/3
--- Time Limit: 7:00

Third and subsequent rounds
--- 4 Stock
--- Best 2/3
--- Time Limit: 7:00

Final Round---4 Stock
---Best 3/5
---Time Limit: none

Stage and Character Selection Rules (for round Three and on)
--- First match is a blind pick. Competitors will inform referee of character selection and begin the match on a random neutral map. The loser of the first match will then pick the next stage used while the winner may choose to change character. The loser will then have an option of choose another character. After character selection, the match will begin. Subsequent rules for third and/or other matches, if necessary.

Neutral:

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat Cruise

Stages for Counterpick:

* Delfino Plaza
* Luigi's Mansion
* Mario Cicuit
* Bridge of Eldin
* Great Sea
* Norfair
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Pictochat
* Green Hill Zone
* Yoshi's Island
* Rainbow Cruise
* Green Greens
* Brinstar
* Pokemon stadium 1

All other stages will be considered banned.

If you have any quesitons on how to register or the tournament in general, please email me at dumpster(at)hardknocksorlando(dot)com. I will try and get back to you as soon as I can.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
This is our first major Smash tournament, so as of right now it will be single elimination. If we get a large response, we're going to be upping the prize pool, as well as making it double elimination and a 2v2 bracket as well. We want to make sure we are doing things right for the Smash community before we start getting into more complicated tournaments.

Zoro

Smash Champion
well for the first tournament these guys are doing really well
1v1s good stages no items
and its not like they are saying no double elimination just saying not right now.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
well for starters, it HAS to be double elim, if "you want to make sure you are doing things right for the smash community."...peace

-hiro
Quoted for Truth.

Yea I'm probably going but double elimination is a must or else people will just complain about brackets.
Plus I can actually do well in brawl. Melee was a tad too technical but in this game its all mindgames with floaty chars, which is pefect for me. My Marth and Diddy are doing well i think.

I NEED A WII AND BRAWL THO!!:mad:

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Quoted for Truth.

Yea I'm probably going but double elimination is a must or else people will just complain about brackets.
Plus I can actually do well in brawl. Melee was a tad too technical but in this game its all mindgames with floaty chars, which is pefect for me. My Marth and Diddy are doing well i think.

I NEED A WII AND BRAWL THO!!:mad:
lol still you can;t find it ****

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but nintendo is probably the stupidest company in terms of sales ever. I haven't been able to find one in 4 (echo four four four four) months. Its preety stupid. They are impossible to find. I don't even know how people say they are considering getting a second one when finding just ONE is so hard.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
Due to customer / forum demand, we will be switching to a double elimination format for the tournament. This also means that we plan on moving the start time up a bit. We'll announce the time that we are gonna start shortly. Plan on either 11am or noon start time. If you have any other suggestions, we're definatly open to suggestions.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Looks good.. but why isn't Final Destination included in the neutral random selection?

--- Random selected neutral stage (not including Final Destination)

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
Figured we would try to make it a bit more special and just use it more towards the end of the tournament. Figured it was worth a try. /shrug

Iniquity

Smash Rookie
I -might- show up just to watch.

Personally I'm sticking with whats already been established in CFL in Smash which is gigs. Sorry if I sound biased. If I hear good things, I'll change my mind though.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Man, I just realized. Possibly this, and definitely the first Gigs, are going to be -huge-. All of these new players and old players coming out of retirement for Brawl are going to make them massive.

Perhaps we should extend the prize placement awarding for Gigs if it's like, 60+ people?

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Figured we would try to make it a bit more special and just use it more towards the end of the tournament. Figured it was worth a try. /shrug
That's a cool idea, but FD is a good map so it should really be available throughout the tourny.

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
Man, I just realized. Possibly this, and definitely the first Gigs, are going to be -huge-. All of these new players and old players coming out of retirement for Brawl are going to make them massive.

Perhaps we should extend the prize placement awarding for Gigs if it's like, 60+ people?

That is definitely a possibility! Teh Gigs has a lot in store for you guys. I can't say right now what exactly it is, but I have the feeling you'll like it. But we have considered that in our brainstorming sessions. I still want to do something for you guy's seeding points other than just giving 10-20% but you all are adamant on moving to Brawl and leaving any Melee behind! I digress.

To the posters in this thread: Try to keep Gigs talk in the GB tournament threads. Makes it easier to see whats going on in Orlando.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
The tournament IS double elimination. The Stocks for a few of the earlier rounds are being tweaked a bit as well.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet

We're not GB. They do their own thing, we do ours.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
We're not GB. They do their own thing, we do ours.

We just do it on a bigger /better scale.
Attacking Gigabits, even in jest, is not a good way to win the hearts of the Smash community. :p

Gigabits is like worshiped as a venue by pretty much everyone on the Atlantic South board. :p

SheerMadness

Smash Master
lol I don't think dumpster intended any hate towards gigs

But yah dumpster, boosely is right. Gigabits has been the center of competitive Florida smash for like 2 years now so you guys have a lot of work to do to impress us. :)

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't have any qualms wth GB. Again, they do their thing and we do ours. I definatly respect the fact that they have supported the Smash community in the past. Not to sound overly concieted, but we're going to be going much bigger and hopefully better (will only be able to judge 'better' after the tournaments run smoothly) with Brawl than most people in the country.

Hard Knocks' goal is to make a huge splash in the Smash communty. If you're a Brawl fan, all we're going to need to do is get you in the door to get you hooked on Hard Knocks. We offer more cash / prizes / space / Wii's / games than anyone in Central Florida.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
Dumpster, you guys going to be doing 2v2s? Please, say it's so!
Our first tournament is going to be 1v1. If this one goes off well, we will definatly be doing another one. I think we might end up doing some sort of 1v1 and 2v2 tourny. But we gotta get past our first tournament before we expand our horizions!

Top Bottom