• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3-22-09 Poltergust Presents... "Brawl: Rise to the Top" (Miami, FL)

FlowinWater

Smash Champion
i'll be going to dis just to see the old peeps.

Haven't played Brawl much but I will play melee :)

HOLLA

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Fine, fine. Hanenbow is taken off the counterpick list. Happy? =(

And... do people who only go for friendlies need to pay an entry fee? I don't think so, but I just want to make sure.

EDIT: Oh, and after careful consideration, I also decided to take off Pictochat. I played on that stage a few times and decided that it just didn't fit in with the counterpicks, although it came close.

Cloudstealth

Smash Journeyman
Hey put me down for this, and i'll bring a Wii. Also I'm voting strongly for Distant Planet, and you should put on Green Greens as well. Btw plz PM me your number I need to call you tomorrow. Galleon might need a ride to this too. I don't mind squeezing in and he's good for gas.

Master Raven

Smash Master
And... do people who only go for friendlies need to pay an entry fee? I don't think so, but I just want to make sure.
Since this is your tourney, you do what you wish, though if I were you I wouldn't really have anyone who went just for friendlies pay.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hey put me down for this, and i'll bring a Wii. Also I'm voting strongly for Distant Planet, and you should put on Green Greens as well. Btw plz PM me your number I need to call you tomorrow. Galleon might need a ride to this too. I don't mind squeezing in and he's good for gas.
Added, and I'm sending you a PM about my cell number now...

...OH! You just helped me remember what I forgot earlier! Phone numbers for help! =O

*adds them to the first post*

EDIT: Oh, about you and Galleon, are you talking about the Naples tournament tomorrow? Does he have any interest in coming to my tournament? >.>

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Uh... bump...? ._.

I hope the fact that it is on Sunday is not preventing more people to come... >_>;

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Ban infinites now...

I cant wait till the vid on how easy it is to grab a luigi wit DDD and infinite to 230 than foward or back throw yay

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Sorry, infinites won't be banned. They never have, and they most likely never will be.

And picking Luigi against King Dedede is insane. That is just ASKING to get infinited. Why would you do that? :dizzy:

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I didnt know he was Dew...If i did i woulda went olimar.

But infinites will be banned soon. They were banned at CoT4, there banned at gigs, they will be banned at Fast2 and there banned at the tally tourney an they will be banned.

Its a completely un legit way to win a match the IC chaingrab takes time to master and IC players choke alot when performing it in pressure situations the infinite on Luigi, Samus, Dk, Mario, and i forgot is not a tactic that should be implemented in a video game because its horrid.

I wont go to this now =(. Some1 might CP DDD

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
But PolMex, don't you sub Snake (at least, that was who you chose against me in that last match at M!X's tournament)? He can't be infinited. Isn't the whole point of using subs is to use them against your bad match-ups?

I mean, look at what I did when I fought against Dew. The first match I was Yoshi, but I lost. The second match I counterpicked Norfair (a bad King Dedede stage), and I two-stocked him. Then, I switched to Zelda because not only can she not be chain-grabbed or infinited, but she also has (from what I believe) an advantage over King Dedede. I won that match.

PolMex, I'm sure that you'll be fine if you know who you're going up against and use a character that is not an auto-lose.

By the way, I have one more thing to say: Luigi would totally own King Dedede if it wasn't for the infinite. :p

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Yes, i will beat every D3 ever except idk, i think id go even with Seib, I go even wit Hbox, an idk bout Co but im sure an im never scared to fight d3s.

The fact is its a lill gay when a match up is 100-0...?Why allow that? Seriously why?

Why would you allow a character to take out 5 characters with extreme ease?

Sure, i shoulda asked who he was. But you know id rather not counter pick when the only thing he can do is Infinite,...u cant even cg luigi, just infinite the **** out of me.

U beat Dew cuz your a better player. Trust me your very good. Once again you adapt so swiftly...like a efficient robot its crazy.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Fine, fine. I'll consider it. Can I get anyone else's opinions on infinites? Should I lower the percentage level? Just ban it altogether?

Honestly, I'm pro-infinite. My reasoning is that if you are up against a character that can infinite you you can always just change to a sub to deal with that character. That's basically what I did when I fought Dew, except that "infinite" = "chain-grab" and "deal with that character" = "have an advantage over that character."

PolMex23

Smash Champion
My reason is when the characters only advantage is a longer more efficient ranged attack, better grab range and ability to shield grab almost every physical move in the game against any character due to his weight directly leads to the ability to easily get your opponent into the only thing that makes the match up 100-0 really makes it a anomaly to me that is hasn't been banned yet.

The worst is Luigi is the only one on the list that doesn't get CG, only infinite.

Every character in the game will be grabbed by DDD.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yes, but there are a few that can't be chain-grabbed. Zelda is one of them.

And like I said, you can always change characters to deal with King Dedede. Nothing is stopping you from doing that. If you main Luigi, you have to be familiar with his limitations. If you play as Luigi only, then you'll most likely lose when you come across someone who plays King Dedede and knows how to infinite. That's why people have subs, so that they can change characters to deal with horrible match-ups.

I main Yoshi. I know his bad match-ups (King Dedede, Wolf, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, Zelda, Marth), and I have subs to deal with those characters. If you don't want to switch to a sub, then more power to you, but be ready to have a tougher time winning.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Its just lame case closed....

What,, was it shiek that did this in melee to ganon and mario?

In melee other than ICs no one could wobble.

IC can cg everyone...which is a infinite to death basically but it takes work to do in both melee and brawl.

In Brawl, Dedede can cg alot of people, but not everyone. And can only infinite 5 characters.

Why allow it if he can only do it to 5 characters? Might as well not allow it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm not all that Melee-savvy, but I believe that Sheik had chain-grabs/infinites on the majority of the cast. Yet those weren't banned (I think). What makes Brawl so different?

If King Dedede could infinite EVERY character in the game, THEN it would be banned. As you said, the Ice Climbers infinite takes skill. Also, Nana must still be alive for it to work. And even then, they have such a horrible grab range that it'll be hard for them to infinite anybody who plays cautiously. For King Dedede, all you need to do is set your C-Stick to "grab" and just mash down on it and viola! you got your infinite. He also has a huge grab range, too.

However, he can only infinite five characters. That's not even close to the majority of the cast. He also has some bad match-ups, too: Zelda, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness...

So if King Dedede is such a big problem, why not try subbing a character he's not good against? I believe that Snake (your apparent sub) is actually disadvantaged against him, so it wouldn't hurt to try to learn another character.

As smashers, even though infinites are lame, we have to learn how to deal with them.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
in melee sheik has no infintes on no one or it was too hard to do it in tourney. reason her CG never got banned cuz the chracters that got cged had 0 to death comboes on her. in brawl its different all infintes should be banned no matter wat period. it should be banned always. its stupid ot have em on its stupid tpo even think tp defend the infinite.

Obsidiotic

Smash Cadet
When is the latest that i can sign up because i think im going but im not positive and i dont want to sign up and then not go.

Masky

Smash Master
However, he can only infinite five characters. That's not even close to the majority of the cast. He also has some bad match-ups, too: Zelda, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness...
Ness is not a bad matchup for DDD... at most it's even and the Ness has to work way harder

Master Raven

Smash Master
Infinites should be banned if there is no method to cripple/disable them.

ICs for example I believe should be kept due to being able to disable the infinite if you separate Nana.

The other ones like DDD's should be banned because there is nothing you can do to stop it. It's incredibly broken and makes certain characters next to unviable for tourney if everyone would just whip out DDD vs someone like Luigi. Skill shouldn't be the factor in deciding on whether infinites should be kept since there comes to a point where you can eventually do the infinite successfully 99% of the time (I used to think skill was a relevant factor, but I've learned better since then).

If you're really adamant about keeping infinites then at the very least you should put up a gentleman's agreement, which basically states that you are given the option to allow the infinite or not in battle if the other player is using a character who can use one on yours.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Obsidiotic said:
When is the latest that i can sign up because i think im going but im not positive and i dont want to sign up and then not go.
You can sign up at any time. Even on the day of the tourney. You can even just show up without signing up. Signing up just makes it more organized, is all. :laugh:

Masky said:
Ness is not a bad matchup for DDD... at most it's even and the Ness has to work way harder
Really? I was sure that he was advantaged against King Dedede.... Oh well.

Master Raven said:
Infinites should be banned if there is no method to cripple/disable them.

ICs for example I believe should be kept due to being able to disable the infinite if you separate Nana.

The other ones like DDD's should be banned because there is nothing you can do to stop it. It's incredibly broken and makes certain characters next to unviable for tourney if everyone would just whip out DDD vs someone like Luigi. Skill shouldn't be the factor in deciding on whether infinites should be kept since there comes to a point where you can eventually do the infinite successfully 99% of the time (I used to think skill was a relevant factor, but I've learned better since then).

If you're really adamant about keeping infinites then at the very least you should put up a gentleman's agreement, which basically states that you are given the option to allow the infinite or not in battle if the other player is using a character who can use one on yours.
I don't understand what the big deal is. King Dedede's infinite is not broken. It's not game-breaking, it's character-breaking. You can always switch characters to deal with King Dedede or any other character that can infinite you. What is so hard about that? Isn't the point of subs is to use them in bad match-ups? What makes King Dedede any different?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I don't understand why you don't understand why I don't understand why infinites should be banned. I just gave a good reason why they shouldn't be a few posts ago.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
They should be banned.

In fact. Im gona get afro to agree to this, or chops if he makes it to finals instead, if infinites are not banned for this tourny, the grandfinals will consist of me vs one of them.
im gona pick ddd, they're gona pick one of the 5 characters.
im going to infinite.
it will be recorded.
and ur name will be on the videos.

good luck hosting tournies in the future and congratulations on making Fl look dumb as donkey d!cks.

vericz

Smash Champion
They should be banned.

In fact. Im gona get afro to agree to this, or chops if he makes it to finals instead, if infinites are not banned for this tourny, the grandfinals will consist of me vs one of them.
im gona pick ddd, they're gona pick one of the 5 characters.
im going to infinite.
it will be recorded.
and ur name will be on the videos.

good luck hosting tournies in the future and congratulations on making Fl look dumb as donkey d!cks.
I'll ban all infinites at my tourneys :)

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
How is that being a jerk? If u dont ban the infinite that could indeed happen in tourny. If you think thats wrong to happen, than as the tourny host you hold the power, as everyone wants you to, to ban the infinite. If you don't however, you'll prolly suffer the consequences.

Need I remind anyone of the Polmex/Dewdadash incident?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
How is that not being a jerk? Intentionally ruining the grand finals is something that would be my fault?

Something has been bothering me, though: why didn't PolMex change characters once he knew who he was up against?

Top Bottom