• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3-22-09 Poltergust Presents... "Brawl: Rise to the Top" (Miami, FL)

-!-

Smash Lord
I would have made Corneria a counterpick if it didn't have that wall that people can be infinited on. I mean, just choose King Dedede or a character that has a jab-lock, camp down there, and when you find an opportunity to infinite someone you do just that. =/

EDIT: Wait, why are we discussing Corneria? It's not even up for consideration for becoming a counterpick.
well yea i agree that those infinites are a pain in the ***... but lets see u fight a DDD on castle siege :urg: one Grab=Death in like 70% of the tme... now that really sucks and is no diff. then an infinite.. same goes for like Delfino there are some instants that an infinite can be done on a wall.. enough time to cost a stock... plus a good player will know the stages well enough to know when to stay away from a wall or how to get around it... all the stages has something gay... Orpheon has cost me a set... i don't want to say much but im just saying that if you gonna put Rainbow cruise why not put corneria since it's less ummm gay lol im always open to what people say about a stage... even if i personally dont want it.. if it was up to me i would make my tourneys with only the Big 5 Neutrals lol but that wouldn't bring people now would it :laugh:

IC it's self can infinite most character I believe and it's not done with a wall.. DDD on some characters too... so yea, one wall shouldn't be the only reason to just bann completely a stage :ohwell:

EDIT:

Just so you know in the end I don't care much what goes in and out... as long as a tourney has a good amount of people coming, and i can use the 5 Neutrals as counter myself is all I need to come to a tourney :laugh: Most of the time a good player will not go as low as choosing some gay level and I am lucky that no one has ever counter picked me in like Rainbow cruise (mostly banned anyways) Norfair... gayest stages i have been counter on is Mario Circuit... and Castle siege.... Castle siege is way better then Mario Circuit imo i can put up with it...

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
well yea i agree that those infinites are a pain in the ***... but lets see u fight a DDD on castle siege :urg: one Grab=Death in like 70% of the tme... now that really sucks and is no diff. then an infinite.. same goes for like Delfino there are some instants that an infinite can be done on a wall.. enough time to cost a stock... plus a good player will know the stages well enough to know when to stay away from a wall or how to get around it... all the stages has something gay... Orpheon has cost me a set... i don't want to say much but im just saying that if you gonna put Rainbow cruise why not put corneria since it's less ummm gay lol im always open to what people say about a stage... even if i personally dont want it.. if it was up to me i would make my tourneys with only the Big 5 Neutrals lol but that wouldn't bring people now would it :laugh:

IC it's self can infinite most character I believe and it's not done with a wall.. DDD on some characters too... so yea, one wall shouldn't be the only reason to just bann completely a stage :ohwell:

Banning levels with permanent walls is smart. A few characters have wall-locks, which is just stupid... On Corneria, for example, they can camp the bottom of the fin, get one good hit, then get 80-90% (Not sure how they work really, all I know it that they DO work). Plus, D3 suddenly infinites everybody he can CG, and characters like Ike gets a stupid CG.

Btw, ICs can infinite everybody but another IC. (Obviously)

RC ftw! MetaKnight!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hm, actually, you convinced me of something. It's not that Corneria can be a counterpick, but Green Greens should not be a counterpick.

Let me explain. The main reason why I banned Corneria is because of the wall. However, another factor that came into banning Corneria was because it is an extremely small stage, making getting kills far too easy for some characters. Now, I just compared that to Green Greens, and Green Greens is actually worse. It has FOUR walls (even though they are destructable), more dangerous hazards, and is even smaller than Corneria. So, for now, Green Greens is off the counterpick list.

-!-

Smash Lord
Banning levels with permanent walls is smart. A few characters have wall-locks, which is just stupid... On Corneria, for example, they can camp the bottom of the fin, get one good hit, then get 80-90% (Not sure how they work really, all I know it that they DO work). Plus, D3 suddenly infinites everybody he can CG, and characters like Ike gets a stupid CG.

Btw, ICs can infinite everybody but another IC. (Obviously)

RC ftw! MetaKnight!
this is the where the whole Banning a stage comes in handy... i have people cry about Lylat on my last tournaments and u know what lol none really counter on it or banned it... which is funny cuz there was alot of wining for that to be moved at least as a counter not starter...

IC are gay yea...

-!-

Smash Lord
Hm, actually, you convinced me of something. It's not that Corneria can be a counterpick, but Green Greens should not be a counterpick.

Let me explain. The main reason why I banned Corneria is because of the wall. However, another factor that came into banning Corneria was because it is an extremely small stage, making getting kills far too easy for some characters. Now, I just compared that to Green Greens, and Green Greens is actually worse. It has FOUR walls (even though they are destructable), more dangerous hazards, and is even smaller than Corneria. So, for now, Green Greens is off the counterpick list.
glad i helped :laugh:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Oh, I forgot to mention a couple of things...

1. BYOC (Duh...)

2. The two TVs that I'll be using for this tournament at my house are actually Plasma and LCD TVs. If you guys want, you can request to play on a different TV those TVs if you guys think that the lag (which I still don't notice) will affect you THAT much.

I'll put these up under the General Rules section...

EDIT: I kind of wish someone would update the Florida Thread with this tournament... =/

-!-

Smash Lord
Oh, I forgot to mention a couple of things...

1. BYOC (Duh...)

2. The two TVs that I'll be using for this tournament at my house are actually Plasma and LCD TVs. If you guys want, you can request to play on a different TV those TVs if you guys think that the lag (which I still don't notice) will affect you THAT much.

I'll put these up under the General Rules section...

EDIT: I kind of wish someone would update the Florida Thread with this tournament... =/
Im sure I can bring a TV/W!! set up... and i can bring some Component cables which should take care of the Lag for good... i prob can bring two Comp. cables actually so those tvs can be used... I myself wouldn't want to play in them without the Comp.'s :urg:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Can't people volunteer to bring in their own TVs? Or is there not enough room?
No, no. I meant play on a TV that someone else brought. I just said that the two TVs that I have are Plasma/LCD, so if people feel that the lag may get to them then they could request to play on a different TV. And trust me, there is PLENTY of room in my house even though one side is not being used. Believe it! :laugh: *shot*

MixCoatl said:
Im sure I can bring a TV/W!! set up... and i can bring some Component cables which should take care of the Lag for good... i prob can bring two Comp. cables actually so those tvs can be used... I myself wouldn't want to play in them without the Comp.'s :urg:
Thanks, M!X. I'm not sure if I already have component cables in them, but it is better to be safe than sorry! :)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Right now, it's set for March 22nd.

...I feel that I'm missing something else. Something... important. But what is it? :dizzy:

Creaty

Smash Cadet
nice, I probably will go since I live a stonethrow away, Im glad this month theres lots of tourneys, the 7 in UM, the 13 in the Hammocks and yours the 22. Its a nice month for Miami players

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
soundss good sighnn me up for this tournamentt. ill be there for sure and im looking for a partnerr anyone???
@mix hey you wnt to team since we would rippp and own teams for sureee??

_WindeX_

Smash Apprentice
Good news. The chances of me going are slightly bigger, seeing as my mom had a chat with your dad during the UM tourney.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
How long might this last?
My girlfriend wants to take me to my Miami on a weekend, and this might be an excuse for my father to let me go.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
There's a schedule listed in the first post. At least, that is what I HOPE that the schedule can be.

Try to convince your father, CHASHiC. =P

...I still feel like I'm forgetting something, though. =(

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Personally, I hate Luigi's Mansion (the stage, not the game. I love the game. ^_^). I'm tempted to not even make it a counterpick now. It'll remain as one for now, though.

And could you give reasons as to why you want the other stages banned. Seibrik? Saying that you don't like those stages is fine, but don't expect me to move them unless you come up with a good argument.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Jungle Japes needs to be removed for the insta win it can give falco, the clap trap deaths that in certain scenarios are unavoidable, and the complete **** over to the majority of characters recoveries.

Picto chat because of kirbies glitch/ immense amounts of camping that can occur to avoid objects, and the fact u can actually get stuck in small boxes at some transformations... yea, not being able to move for 15 seconds, thats fun and fair for everyone.

Rainbowcruise because of its gay name, walls, walk offs, kirby/meta uthrow insta kills, and stupid noodles. God dam noodles.

Hanenbow-Just no. I garuntee you, even in teams, if you allow hanenbow, every match that I encounter there will time out. I give you my promise, not because i wana be gay, but because thats the best way to use that level, and its not even hard.

Luigi's- same reason as above.

Only other stages that i'd allow but are still gay are norfair and pirate ship. Those stages are SEEMing less gay the more i play them. with the exception of my mk on norfair, gl.
Its really really campy, but the level SOMETIMES forces close encounters so it CAN sometimes force fights momentarily.

soooo yea..

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Jungle Japes needs to be removed for the insta win it can give falco, the clap trap deaths that in certain scenarios are unavoidable, and the complete **** over to the majority of characters recoveries.

Picto chat because of kirbies glitch/ immense amounts of camping that can occur to avoid objects, and the fact u can actually get stuck in small boxes at some transformations... yea, not being able to move for 15 seconds, thats fun and fair for everyone.

Rainbowcruise because of its gay name, walls, walk offs, kirby/meta uthrow insta kills, and stupid noodles. God dam noodles.

Hanenbow-Just no. I garuntee you, even in teams, if you allow hanenbow, every match that I encounter there will time out. I give you my promise, not because i wana be gay, but because thats the best way to use that level, and its not even hard.

Luigi's- same reason as above.

Only other stages that i'd allow but are still gay are norfair and pirate ship. Those stages are SEEMing less gay the more i play them. with the exception of my mk on norfair, gl.
Its really really campy, but the level SOMETIMES forces close encounters so it CAN sometimes force fights momentarily.

soooo yea..
Jungle Japes- The Klap Traps come by in a set pattern (appears in the right the first three seconds of the match then it appears in the left the first seven seconds of the match, I believe. This process repeats every 10 seconds). If you know when the next Klap Trap will appear, then you know where NOT to be. And if you are there, then don't get grabbed. Speaking of which, it is possible for ANY character to recover if they are spiked in the center-left area if they know the timing (except for possibly Ike, but who cares about him? :bee:). In any case, it's going to be a counterpick whether you guys like it or not. Personally, I hate it, but I find many other stages to be more ban-worthy.

Pictochat- The reason why I allowed Pictochat was because it was mostly harmless. Only about three drawings are lethal, and when no drawings are out it is basically Final Destination. About Kirby's glitch, considering if his opponent has no option against it, then it would be stalling, which is banned. However, that getting stuck thing concerns me, but I've never witnessed it before. Can you provide a video, please?

Rainbow Cruise- *is still biased towards it* Disregarding what you said about the name and the noodles (?), I'll address the walls, walk-offs, and the instant-kills. The walls are only there temporarily, unlike Corneria or Green Greens. So, you can't really infinite someone there. And since the walls only last for a short period of time, you can't camp there hoping for someone to drop in on you, either. There is only one section of the stage that you can possibly do a walk-off kill, and even then it is hard due to the uneven terrain, stage-scrolling, and platforms. Plus, King Dedede and Falco suck there, anyways. :p As for the instant kill, you can really only do that in the bottom area of the stage, and even then you can only do it in specific areas. Like one famous Smash player said, "don't get grabbed" in those particular areas.

Hanenbow- *sigh* Well, I've already given my argument for Hanenbow. I can understand why people want it to be completely banned, but I just don't know if I should ban it. I want to hear other people's opinions first before I decide on a course of action.

Luigi's Mansion- I mentioned earlier that I really hate this stage, but other than that I can't find a reason for banning it. The stage itself is destructable, so it almost becomes like FD but with slightly better ledges if you destroy the whole mansion (or leave a part of it so that it doesn't completely respawn). In that sense, matches there shouldn't time out much, if at all. Once again, I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this stage.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
That is not exactly the kind of Pictochat video I was looking for, but duly noted. *considers removing Pictochat*

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
look im not going to argue, it doesnt affect me at all with mk. Im just gonna go out of my way to pick these stages and abuse all the freedom your giving me, a mk player. And with all these gay stages, theres no one safe stage to ban vs mk anymore.

Gl to ya guys! And when things time out alot, dont blame me, its the stages fault for being allowed!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Seibrik, I still need to see if other people want those stages removed. If I let which stages should remain fall into one person's opinion, then I would be a bad tournament host, won't I? =)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
If two more people want Hanenbow to be taken out, then I'll make it completely banned. The arguments for both sides have already been presented, so just take your pick for what you believe in. >.>

Top Bottom