• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2013 Community Tier List

1MachGO

Smash Ace
A lot of you two's posts is highly philosophical/theoretical. These minute differences add up to much more when you consider that every hit doc deals will hit harder and he has so much more ease in landing those hits. Doc will end up being rewarded more for the same play in the long run. And docs dsmash being stronger is hardly a minute change at all when its such a central aspect of their characters, and its not stronger by only a small amount either. When summed up nothing mario offers can compare to docs own combination of differences. Docs nair is better for both approach, trades, and utility, pills are stronger, edgegaurds are stronger grab game gaurantees more follow ups, chaingrabs harder, and uniquely to doc over mario provides free kills on all or nearly all characters. Core elements of the characters are stronger for doc, making everything else just a situational advantage (bar mario fsmash) making doc just better suited for their intended playstyle.

Of course some things mario is still capable of as long as he plays well such as killing, spacing, chaingrabbing, and edgegaurding, but mario has so much more room for error, has much more to lose if he fails to be on point, and even when hes perfect he misses out on several key doc advantages on his repertoire. Even his edgegaurding, the sole element mario has that comes close to effectiveness as docs, has more situations where it will fail or miss or perhaps hed need to land a couple more bairs off of reads to get the proper situation to set up for a cape, which doc will have much less trouble with. And finally, docs domination on the ground will keep him rooted on stage far more than mario will, and he has more tools to avoid being edgegaurded in his pills; a doc that dis high can be a pain to edgegaurd if he saves his jump due to pills. This alone helps doc fare better against his big 3 threats than mario will, and marios recovery is very similar to marths anyway, and if sheiks are still edgegaurding marth these days its not too farfetched to say that sheiks will still be gimping mario in the future, with or without up b shenanigans.

Of course, this doesnt rule out the fact that mario still might rise in potential with his great recovery mixups, but i dont forsee it to be enough to elevate him above doc anytime soon. We have yet to see wether or not pivot fsmash and up b cancel outweigh more gauranteed stuff everywhere including recovery in some situations, stronger neutral presence, and additional kill options not available to mario in even a few matchups. Only time can tell.
Well we are entirely limited to the perspective that Docs have out performed Marios in tournament scenes; of course it is theoretical. However, my main reasoning is that Mario is less developed than Doc (while having a largely similar toolset) and is less exploitable overall which gives him much more even match ups.

However, a lot of the stuff you are saying is largely false. To clarify, I said there were only a few things that are conclusively better on one character rather than the other; everything else amounts to only being relevant in certain match ups. For Doc, I would say that his ftilt and dsmash are outright better than Mario's while Mario's jabs, fsmash, up air, and recovery are better than Doc's. Everything else is either match up relevant or comes down to personal preference.

Some things you said which I disagree with:

Every attack from doc hits harder and he can land them more easily
While plenty of his attacks hit harder, I wouldn't say that Doc can land his more easily. His only attack that actually lends itself to that conclusion are pills, but even then, pills actually leading into his attacks are situational. Mario still has the better jab and, generally speaking, safer aerials and fsmash. Mario's uptilt is also more reliable in regards to setting up other attacks; more so than pills.

Doc's nair is better than Mario's
This isn't really true. Not only are both of their nairs just garbage for approaching (unless you managed to pull off a cross up on a character who doesn't have a good backwards hitting OoS option ...so like Marth, C. Falcon, and Ganon), but Doc's has worse L-cancelling lag, worse hitboxes on the strong part of his nair, and lacks the utility of a semi-strong punish in small window situations. Again, the nair might seem better because it allows you get some favorable trades in certain circumstances (though your opponent should easily be able to react to it) , but to say its "better" is not true; they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Doc chaingrabs harder and guarantees more follow ups
This is definitely a big tell that you aren't actually a "pro Mario" because Mario is generally the better chaingrabber. This is a result of his throws being weaker which is more important for racking up percent (see: NTSC Sheik). The only situation where Mario might be a "worse" chaingrabber is against fast fallers since Doc's stronger throws make his uthrow and dthrow chaingrab easier at low percents. However, I would still consider Doc inferior in this area because his chaingrab will be easier to escape. Furthermore, Mario has more guaranteed damage and positional advantage from uptilts, uairs, and nairs, whereas Doc's best punishes (dsmash and fair), while reliable, are restricted to certain percents. Ultimately, I would say that their grab games are affected by match ups.

Mario has more room for error if he fails to be on point
This isn't necessarily true either. Again, Doc is a polarized character, so if he is in a situation which favors one of his respective strengths, of course he doesn't have to work as hard. However, if he is in a situation which favors one of his respective weaknesses, he is going to have to work a lot harder than Mario. This all just comes back to the idea that Mario, while never "easy" to use, is much harder to exploit than his clone.

Doc has a better ground game
This goes back to their individual attacks and certain situations. Not something which tips in either character's favor all of the time.

Doc has more tools to prevent being edgeguarded/the Marios recover like Marth
If we were actually talking pure quantity, Mario wholly has more tools to protect himself with on recovery. However, since you seem to be referring to pills as more than one "tool" I assume you meant to use it as a quality argument. Again, pills are only situationally better than fireballs. Both are excellent at attacking the ledge but they travel at different trajectories. Pills are more effective when using them to cover a steep angle whereas fireballs are better for attacking a lateral one. This makes them more effective against certain edgeguarding patterns (Fox and Falco might favor more vertical edge guarding whereas Falcon has more of a horizontal one). However, the thing about Pills is that they are only favorable when Doc is already in a somewhat good position (at least relatively speaking for a recovering player). Since Doc's mid to long range recovery is entirely dependent on securing the ledge, he becomes less effective at recovering the moment he isn't able to use pills from a high position

Mario, on the other hand, isn't necessarily bound to going to the ledge and can mobilize fireballs far more consistently since they don't require him to be up high. He also has more defensive options during recovery thanks to cape lift which allows him to reflect offstage attacks and projectiles without killing himself (something Doc/Marth/Falcon could never do) as well as methods to prevent himself from being auto-edgehogged if he goes low.

Also, the only thing about Mario's recovery that is similar to Marth's is the angle of their up-bs. other than that, I would say their options on recovery differ substantially.

Last edited:

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
Pro mario here, and im all about clearing up misconceptions between the three mario bros characters. First things first im also stronger than a rookie who noobies seem to be appreciating a lot more than usual recently. While a rookie is solid and knows his way around mario's techs, he has a weak punish game and movement and relies on his character gimmicks to win occasionally (see HMW vs rook at TNE). He also has an inferiority complex which led to his tag and refused to go through with our MM at apex 2014 out of fear, even after he boasted about how proficient he was at the mario ditto on SB months back. As it stands a rookie is little more than a fraud and should not be related to someone like amsa. However if you are a 12 aspiring mario player who needs a hero to hold on to look up n0nes mario, a foreign mario player who has real legitimate reasons to not attend apex 2014.

Now mario is a very intuitive character with no tricky, abnormal techniques like yoshi does aside from the up b walljump. The whole reason everyone was so surprised at yoshis performance at apex 2014 (not me though) was because his recovery and shield are so janky and functioned differently than what people were used to, leading them to fail with yoshi and leading everyone to think he was as bad as roy. However all amsa did was prove to everyone how these functions worked, and then some. We realized that yoshis recovery and sheild were not inferior, only different. Mario differs from this considering the fact that his movement is extremely similar to most characters with a short d dance and long wavedash, his attacks and recovery is very basic, and there are 4 other characters that are very similar to mario (doc luigi falcon ganon). This leaves very little to figure out with him, and i dont see up b walljump as a technique that will end up taking mario too far. There are still several other characters with difficult to edgegaurd recoveries (up b walljump is not unbeatable) and so, even if his revovery rises to that sort of level with this new piece of tech, he still has short comings in his ground game unlike characters like samus and peach. He wont be getting any better any time soon, up b wall jump will end up being akin to wobbling in how much it alters the characters' effectiveness, giving a one shot kill grab on a character with the strongest grab game. (The only difference being that up b walljump is much harder to perform and also wont be carrying mid level players to victory aka nintendude). Btw doc and mario play the same. The only difference is knowing what you should be looking for or what tools to prioritize, and how far you can extend with each without over extending. This means its very easy to compare the two when you contrast how each mario bro handles the situations they get put into.

Now for doc vs mario, something i have extensively thought over and tested myself, though never to see which of the two was better since obviously doc was better but to see if mario had any untapped potential. And he really doesnt, just a few small differences that become negligible when compared to docs gargantuan advantages. Even marios best unique tools, his fsmash, longer recovery + walljump, and more launchers in the form of fair and utilt, matter little when you factor in that dsmash is far more versatile and applicable than fsmash is, doc has an extremely safe recovery if coming from above since his pills are so wonderful that they neuter almost all opposition to doc returning safely, and marios more conversions matter little when you factor in how often mario can get off these two situational exclusive attacks, how much better the launchers that they share are for doc (uair and usmash), and how much stronger docs attacks are in general. Mario has few pros over doc and they sum up to little compared to how overpwering docs strengths are and how numerous they are. Doc even has his own underexplored tech in the form of up b canceling that is only recently being untilized in competition by mid level docs and it strengthens docs ground game much more so than up b walljump does for marios recovery. Now for the run down:

Mobility: even mostly
Comboing/ability to convert into or off of hits: doc arguably
Recovery: arguably doc without up b walljump
Projectile for all uses: doc
Crouch canceling game (very important for marios): doc
Killpower: doc by a landslide
Approach: doc
Oos options: doc with up b cancel, doc slightly without it
Gimps/edgegaurds:doc
Throw game: doc

Now mario is not terrible and while hes worse on paper hes still not that bad and still works, its just that everything that works would be better if the player was using doc (still not close to the point of marth vs roy however). I have never once played doc and wished that i couldve been mario in a certain scenario, but i have vice versa. If anyones under rating him( which to some extent they are) its due to people thinking hes as bad as link and not for neglecting his spot as equal to ganon. His spot on the tier list does him justice. If anyone has any questions as to why i think what i do, just ask, ive tested everything that the two have (and luigi too) and know all about their mechanics, more than any other smasher to date, to the point where its become almost a science. Just ask for a simple detail on their move differences and ill be happy to enlighten you about it. Ill post about luigi too if need be but his strengths over mario are fairly obvious.
I personally think that A Rookie ****s on n0ne. A Rookie has a way better recovery game and makes less mistakes. If you want to see a Mario that ****s on both A Rookie and n0ne, check out Boss in the Mario Video Archives (Mario Character Discussion). I also disagree with you about Doc having a better recovery game. His cape doesn't stall him in air as much as Mario's. I also think that Mario has a way better purpose to use the fireballs due to his commonly used fireball to fsmash combo.

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings
Well we are entirely limited to the perspective that Docs have out performed Marios in tournament scenes; of course it is theoretical. However, my main reasoning is that Mario is less developed than Doc (while having a largely similar toolset) and is less exploitable overall which gives him much more even match ups.

However, a lot of the stuff you are saying is largely false. To clarify, I said there were only a few things that are conclusively better on one character rather than the other; everything else amounts to only being relevant in certain match ups. For Doc, I would say that his ftilt and dsmash are outright better than Mario's while Mario's jabs, fsmash, up air, and recovery are better than Doc's. Everything else is either match up relevant or comes down to personal preference.

Some things you said which I disagree with:

Every attack from doc hits harder and he can land them more easily
While plenty of his attacks hit harder, I wouldn't say that Doc can land his more easily. His only attack that actually lends itself to that conclusion are pills, but even then, pills actually leading into his attacks are situational. Mario still has the better jab and, generally speaking, safer aerials and fsmash. Mario's uptilt is also more reliable in regards to setting up other attacks; more so than pills.

Doc's nair is better than Mario's
This isn't really true. Not only are both of their nairs just garbage for approaching (unless you managed to pull off a cross up on a character who doesn't have a good backwards hitting OoS option ...so like Marth, C. Falcon, and Ganon), but Doc's has worse L-cancelling lag, worse hitboxes on the strong part of his nair, and lacks the utility of a semi-strong punish in small window situations. Again, the nair might seem better because it allows you get some favorable trades in certain circumstances (though your opponent should easily be able to react to it) , but to say its "better" is not true; they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Doc chaingrabs harder and guarantees more follow ups
This is definitely a big tell that you aren't actually a "pro Mario" because Mario is generally the better chaingrabber. This is a result of his throws being weaker which is more important for racking up percent (see: NTSC Sheik). The only situation where Mario might be a "worse" chaingrabber is against fast fallers since Doc's stronger throws make his uthrow and dthrow chaingrab easier at low percents. However, I would still consider Doc inferior in this area because his chaingrab will be easier to escape. Furthermore, Mario has more guaranteed damage and positional advantage from uptilts, uairs, and nairs, whereas Doc's best punishes (dsmash and fair), while reliable, are restricted to certain percents. Ultimately, I would say that their grab games are affected by match ups.

Mario has more room for error if he fails to be on point
This isn't necessarily true either. Again, Doc is a polarized character, so if he is in a situation which favors one of his respective strengths, of course he doesn't have to work as hard. However, if he is in a situation which favors one of his respective weaknesses, he is going to have to work a lot harder than Mario. This all just comes back to the idea that Mario, while never "easy" to use, is much harder to exploit than his clone.

Doc has a better ground game
This goes back to their individual attacks and certain situations. Not something which tips in either character's favor all of the time.

Doc has more tools to prevent being edgeguarded/the Marios recover like Marth
If we were actually talking pure quantity, Mario wholly has more tools to protect himself with on recovery. However, since you seem to be referring to pills as more than one "tool" I assume you meant to use it as a quality argument. Again, pills are only situationally better than fireballs. Both are excellent at attacking the ledge but they travel at different trajectories. Pills are more effective when using them to cover a steep angle whereas fireballs are better for attacking a lateral one. This makes them more effective against certain edgeguarding patterns (Fox and Falco might favor more vertical edge guarding whereas Falcon has more of a horizontal one). However, the thing about Pills is that they are only favorable when Doc is already in a somewhat good position (at least relatively speaking for a recovering player). Since Doc's mid to long range recovery is entirely dependent on securing the ledge, he becomes less effective at recovering the moment he isn't able to use pills from a high position

Mario, on the other hand, isn't necessarily bound to going to the ledge and can mobilize fireballs far more consistently since they don't require him to be up high. He also has more defensive options during recovery thanks to cape lift which allows him to reflect offstage attacks and projectiles without killing himself (something Doc/Marth/Falcon could never do) as well as methods to prevent himself from being auto-edgehogged if he goes low.

Also, the only thing about Mario's recovery that is similar to Marth's is the angle of their up-bs. other than that, I would say their options on recovery differ substantially.
I still disagree with you on this and everything that you have dubbed false from my argument, and this is not meant to be a hostile remark but I feel as though you are an intermediate-mid leveled player and have not utilized the tools the two Marios have with the same level of depth that I have been putting into them. As said earlier I consider myself stronger than rook, and only n0nes mario compares to me I feel, but opinions don't make the player obviously.

One thing you brought up however was that you believed that Mario could be potentially better in MUs where recovery would be better off being non-linear and I saw that you labeled Doc as a polarized character while saying Mario was more well-rounded. I understand where you are going with this, but I disagree with it. I believe that fundamental character traits can be mixed and matchup, some being polarized, others being balanced, and with values being sorted amongst the characters reasonably, it would be possible to have equally viable characters despite their polarized strengths and weaknesses, due to the nature of melee having every character being highly versatile, something that I believe to be unique to this game. I don't believe a character can be balanced around the top tier level and struggle in some MUs while destroy in others due solely to how the character's strengths are proportioned. Take Falcon for example. He has a great ground game mostly, and a less than stellar recovery, something you claim could be exploited in certain MUs. However, while he does relatively poorly against sheik, he goes even against marth, and both excel at gimping characters with bad recovery options. I don't see this as falcons recovery making him easy for gimp orientated characters but rather falcons punish and neutral game lacking. If either of those two were better he would probably go just as even as if you had buffed his recovery. I believe Doc's better ground game can keep him on the stage longer than mario to where it can make up for his weak recovery.

Its fair to say that much of doc's and mario's toolkits is highly subjective to player opinion, and both have their fair share of situational advantages, so when I analyzed the effectiveness I also calculated how many situations a mario bro player will have a use for that move, and how much benefit the player can reap from all total applications of each move. In the end, Doc came up ahead. When Im done explaining my reasoning for those general areas you had questioned, I'll provide a rather lengthy section giving a side by side comparison of ALL of their moves. Another useful tidbit to know is that mario has a total of three moves that are stronger than doc's; his u-air, hi f-tilt, and his b-air. However a pure knock back increase is not always the optimal solution, something you yourself disagree with and also seem to believe that I do. I will cover this later as well. One last thing is that I will not list any hitbox or frame differences unless they are significant, such as in the case of their capes and their dash attacks. The two have many slight differences but most are ignorable.

You may have noticed that I had said that doc had an easier time landing hits. I believe this to be true, not only following up with them, but connecting attacks in the first place. However i was disregarding his pills mostly, pills have become increasingly less useful as each year passes in the metagame, many top tiers can dispose of them easily, they're overly committal for doc since they're laggy and he can't react out of them well, and they give a very minute reward with a large risk. The same can be said about most projectiles in this game as well. Aside from that, doc has the superior jab, they're stronger and just as fast (the slowness only applies when following up jabs), so they have unproportionately high hitstun for their speed. Jab> into grab or d-smash which are great universal options, as bread and butter as d-throw tech-chasing is for marth. Sure he loses out on rapid jabs for mixups and general damages and utility as a get-off-me tool, but I feel the access to a reliable, powerful, quick, and safe d-smash or grab outweighs mario's jab's utility in shield mixups and an answer to pressure.

Docs grab is just as quick as well and provides much better options out of it despite doing the same damage since his u-throw and d-throw are higher, allowing more leniency against fighters of the appropriate damage and fall speed. Any good falcon main can tell you how much of a pain it is to combo spacies with no reliable vertical combo starter, relying on stomps, raptor boost, and platforms (assuming the spacie is above you) to get that vertical boost. Doc is lucky to have that kind of vertical set-up power in something as easy to land as a jab, not to mention that doc can get free kills with f-air off of either down or up throw on any character. I don't see a situation where I wouldn't want to have this throwing power, mario's are too low to follow up on. Also doc chain grabs spacies from earlier percentages and with more leniency. I'm fairly certain doc chain grabs pikachu harder for the same reasons. Plus by the time the opponent is hurt and the chain-grab is weakening, they'll be at a good enough percentage anyway and hight to where followups will be simple to execute and effective.

Docs u-air is better for utility since it has weaker vertical knock back and growth, so he can seamlessly connect a u-air or two into an up or down smash, or perhaps a u-tilt or an aerial like n-air or f-air at higher damages if the opponents DI is favorable. Marios will often send the opponent too high to properly set-up with an attack, and he retains the same crap jump height as doc and struggles to reach his foe, and additionally has a very slightly slower airspeed. U-air follow ups are the most arguable of all of their tools however, and what mario sacrifices he can make up with f-smash follow ups and u-tilt follow ups that lead to even more punishment. His f-air does set up for more hits, but mario does not have the best combos so the best he can muster usually is f-air>u-tilt>u-air, and f-air is hard enough to land as is. Docs f-air and u-tilt are not terrible either though, and have strong knock back for their speed which will almost surely knock the opponent off stage which isn't too terrible considering his status as a strong edgegaurder.

When I said that mario had more room for error, i was especially referring to his edgegaurding. Not only will doc be able to gimp and end stocks of offstage fighters in situations where mario will have to either keep fighting or go for a read, mario is also more reliant on these types of kills because he is weaker with less guaranteed kill options, and less kill options in general. And while on this subject, n-air is very good offstage and for edgegaurding much like how sheik uses hers, and docs lower trajectory and stronger knock back when it out longer, which is easier to do given docs speed, makes it much more rewarding. Unlike for mario, n-air is a very good option for doc, especially at low percents where some of his other quick attacks will not have enough knock back to avoid retaliation. He can follow up pills with it, punish rolls and spot dodges, and is generally a good trading tool when the opponent is at high percentage. The knock back it gives covers the extra 2 frames on land lag it provides and it has better growth from start to finish. Even at it's beginning its much better than marios n-air at it's latest hit, which decays rapidly. Mario should be using his hair to finish combos or not at all. Btw their regular land lag values are the same, only their aerials have lag differences, which is very minute when l-canceled. It hardly matters when your character can finish his u-airs and bars in a single short hop, even with fast falling.

Doc's ground game is better because of every reason I listed. While some are arguable for either side, others are straight victories for doc, and both have a heavy reliance on d-smash, usually through crouch canceling, which without marth would be near impossible to beat for the two.. Its in the nature of how they play, and while mario's is excellent, docs is near broken and has much more utility with it. Its the fox u-smash of d-smashes. I will give you recovery however. Its much longer and more reliable. But pills are far better than fireballs for recovery. Not only do they come from above, where retaliation is more committal, but they are closer to doc and also much stronger, giving him a bigger window to survive. Marios can haired through, or the opponent can shield, or ledge grab or anything. Its useful, but not stellar likes pills are. N0ne himself told me he felt fireballs were better for recovery but he was just being a hipster and doesn't have good enough opposition where he lives.

Ill provide a side by side move analysis later. Ive written too much already
I personally think that A Rookie ****s on n0ne. A Rookie has a way better recovery game and makes less mistakes. If you want to see a Mario that ****s on both A Rookie and n0ne, check out Boss in the Mario Video Archives (Mario Character Discussion). I also disagree with you about Doc having a better recovery game. His cape doesn't stall him in air as much as Mario's. I also think that Mario has a way better purpose to use the fireballs due to his commonly used fireball to fsmash combo.
A few things. 1. All pro marios like me and a rookie look up to and respect n0ne, he's a little bit of a vet but he's very smart and has great combos and movement; A rookie has is only a pro in the former. 2. All recovery tricks a rookie has he learned from green mario and n0ne, which probably took him something like 6 years or something evidently since he knows so much about old school marios. 3. n0ne was sandbagging in the video 1machgo posted against a much lower level foreign falcon who is still better than gravy. 4. Boss is a scrub, I'm sorry, but he's not the best mario player and you're making him as fraudulent as wizzrobe by claiming he could **** on even such a trash low level mario like rook. 5. Everyone knows that bit about the cape. We are discussing inception level mario bro recovery depth, not dr seuss. 6. nobody uses that combo and for that matter nobody uses fireballs. If you hurry Im pretty sure you could get a patent for both in your mario play.

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
I still disagree with you on this and everything that you have dubbed false from my argument, and this is not meant to be a hostile remark but I feel as though you are an intermediate-mid leveled player and have not utilized the tools the two Marios have with the same level of depth that I have been putting into them. As said earlier I consider myself stronger than rook, and only n0nes mario compares to me I feel, but opinions don't make the player obviously.

One thing you brought up however was that you believed that Mario could be potentially better in MUs where recovery would be better off being non-linear and I saw that you labeled Doc as a polarized character while saying Mario was more well-rounded. I understand where you are going with this, but I disagree with it. I believe that fundamental character traits can be mixed and matchup, some being polarized, others being balanced, and with values being sorted amongst the characters reasonably, it would be possible to have equally viable characters despite their polarized strengths and weaknesses, due to the nature of melee having every character being highly versatile, something that I believe to be unique to this game. I don't believe a character can be balanced around the top tier level and struggle in some MUs while destroy in others due solely to how the character's strengths are proportioned. Take Falcon for example. He has a great ground game mostly, and a less than stellar recovery, something you claim could be exploited in certain MUs. However, while he does relatively poorly against sheik, he goes even against marth, and both excel at gimping characters with bad recovery options. I don't see this as falcons recovery making him easy for gimp orientated characters but rather falcons punish and neutral game lacking. If either of those two were better he would probably go just as even as if you had buffed his recovery. I believe Doc's better ground game can keep him on the stage longer than mario to where it can make up for his weak recovery.

Its fair to say that much of doc's and mario's toolkits is highly subjective to player opinion, and both have their fair share of situational advantages, so when I analyzed the effectiveness I also calculated how many situations a mario bro player will have a use for that move, and how much benefit the player can reap from all total applications of each move. In the end, Doc came up ahead. When Im done explaining my reasoning for those general areas you had questioned, I'll provide a rather lengthy section giving a side by side comparison of ALL of their moves. Another useful tidbit to know is that mario has a total of three moves that are stronger than doc's; his u-air, hi f-tilt, and his b-air. However a pure knock back increase is not always the optimal solution, something you yourself disagree with and also seem to believe that I do. I will cover this later as well. One last thing is that I will not list any hitbox or frame differences unless they are significant, such as in the case of their capes and their dash attacks. The two have many slight differences but most are ignorable.

You may have noticed that I had said that doc had an easier time landing hits. I believe this to be true, not only following up with them, but connecting attacks in the first place. However i was disregarding his pills mostly, pills have become increasingly less useful as each year passes in the metagame, many top tiers can dispose of them easily, they're overly committal for doc since they're laggy and he can't react out of them well, and they give a very minute reward with a large risk. The same can be said about most projectiles in this game as well. Aside from that, doc has the superior jab, they're stronger and just as fast (the slowness only applies when following up jabs), so they have unproportionately high hitstun for their speed. Jab> into grab or d-smash which are great universal options, as bread and butter as d-throw tech-chasing is for marth. Sure he loses out on rapid jabs for mixups and general damages and utility as a get-off-me tool, but I feel the access to a reliable, powerful, quick, and safe d-smash or grab outweighs mario's jab's utility in shield mixups and an answer to pressure.

Docs grab is just as quick as well and provides much better options out of it despite doing the same damage since his u-throw and d-throw are higher, allowing more leniency against fighters of the appropriate damage and fall speed. Any good falcon main can tell you how much of a pain it is to combo spacies with no reliable vertical combo starter, relying on stomps, raptor boost, and platforms (assuming the spacie is above you) to get that vertical boost. Doc is lucky to have that kind of vertical set-up power in something as easy to land as a jab, not to mention that doc can get free kills with f-air off of either down or up throw on any character. I don't see a situation where I wouldn't want to have this throwing power, mario's are too low to follow up on. Also doc chain grabs spacies from earlier percentages and with more leniency. I'm fairly certain doc chain grabs pikachu harder for the same reasons. Plus by the time the opponent is hurt and the chain-grab is weakening, they'll be at a good enough percentage anyway and hight to where followups will be simple to execute and effective.

Docs u-air is better for utility since it has weaker vertical knock back and growth, so he can seamlessly connect a u-air or two into an up or down smash, or perhaps a u-tilt or an aerial like n-air or f-air at higher damages if the opponents DI is favorable. Marios will often send the opponent too high to properly set-up with an attack, and he retains the same crap jump height as doc and struggles to reach his foe, and additionally has a very slightly slower airspeed. U-air follow ups are the most arguable of all of their tools however, and what mario sacrifices he can make up with f-smash follow ups and u-tilt follow ups that lead to even more punishment. His f-air does set up for more hits, but mario does not have the best combos so the best he can muster usually is f-air>u-tilt>u-air, and f-air is hard enough to land as is. Docs f-air and u-tilt are not terrible either though, and have strong knock back for their speed which will almost surely knock the opponent off stage which isn't too terrible considering his status as a strong edgegaurder.

When I said that mario had more room for error, i was especially referring to his edgegaurding. Not only will doc be able to gimp and end stocks of offstage fighters in situations where mario will have to either keep fighting or go for a read, mario is also more reliant on these types of kills because he is weaker with less guaranteed kill options, and less kill options in general. And while on this subject, n-air is very good offstage and for edgegaurding much like how sheik uses hers, and docs lower trajectory and stronger knock back when it out longer, which is easier to do given docs speed, makes it much more rewarding. Unlike for mario, n-air is a very good option for doc, especially at low percents where some of his other quick attacks will not have enough knock back to avoid retaliation. He can follow up pills with it, punish rolls and spot dodges, and is generally a good trading tool when the opponent is at high percentage. The knock back it gives covers the extra 2 frames on land lag it provides and it has better growth from start to finish. Even at it's beginning its much better than marios n-air at it's latest hit, which decays rapidly. Mario should be using his hair to finish combos or not at all. Btw their regular land lag values are the same, only their aerials have lag differences, which is very minute when l-canceled. It hardly matters when your character can finish his u-airs and bars in a single short hop, even with fast falling.

Doc's ground game is better because of every reason I listed. While some are arguable for either side, others are straight victories for doc, and both have a heavy reliance on d-smash, usually through crouch canceling, which without marth would be near impossible to beat for the two.. Its in the nature of how they play, and while mario's is excellent, docs is near broken and has much more utility with it. Its the fox u-smash of d-smashes. I will give you recovery however. Its much longer and more reliable. But pills are far better than fireballs for recovery. Not only do they come from above, where retaliation is more committal, but they are closer to doc and also much stronger, giving him a bigger window to survive. Marios can haired through, or the opponent can shield, or ledge grab or anything. Its useful, but not stellar likes pills are. N0ne himself told me he felt fireballs were better for recovery but he was just being a hipster and doesn't have good enough opposition where he lives.

Ill provide a side by side move analysis later. Ive written too much already

A few things. 1. All pro marios like me and a rookie look up to and respect n0ne, he's a little bit of a vet but he's very smart and has great combos and movement; A rookie has is only a pro in the former. 2. All recovery tricks a rookie has he learned from green mario and n0ne, which probably took him something like 6 years or something evidently since he knows so much about old school marios. 3. n0ne was sandbagging in the video 1machgo posted against a much lower level foreign falcon who is still better than gravy. 4. Boss is a scrub, I'm sorry, but he's not the best mario player and you're making him as fraudulent as wizzrobe by claiming he could **** on even such a trash low level mario like rook. 5. Everyone knows that bit about the cape. We are discussing inception level mario bro recovery depth, not dr seuss. 6. nobody uses that combo and for that matter nobody uses fireballs. If you hurry Im pretty sure you could get a patent for both in your mario play.
A Rookie isn't trash and I'd love for you to show me a video of n0ne where he isn't sandbagging. The cape is also the only difference between Mario and Doc's recovery (excluding the Up B Walljump). They are both "Dr. Suess level." I've seen a lot of people go for the combo, but rarely preform it. I see every Mario using fireballs, but you're right, if I hurry, I can get that patent that I want so much.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Falcon is extremely polarized and his recovery and tech roll are arguably the only two things holding him back. You seem to just assume that Marth/Falcon is even and Sheik/Falcon favors sheik in spite of his recovery when it is actually a result of it. Falcon wholly has the upperhand on Marth onstage but Marth has such an easy edgeguard on an offstage Falcon that the punish game becomes "even". Falcon also has plenty of good ways to combo and punish Sheik, but it hardly helps when she gets free tech chases and a free edgeguard on Falcon.

Also, its interesting how you didn't even mention Falcon's two worst match ups: Fox and Falco. He gets utterly countered by these two characters (especially the latter) who are beasts at destroying Falcon's terrible recovery among a variety of other reasons.

Regardless, I wasn't trying to suggest that traits dictate viability, I believe that is match ups. Even if Falcon is hard countered more easily than someone like Mario, his overall match ups are still superior. In regards to Doc, I believe he has some match ups in which he loses and ones in which he wins. Mario's unique traits then make these match ups even which makes their respective MU spreads somewhat identical. However, I believe an entirely even match up spread is more desirable than one with wins and some losses. Regardless, the two characters shouldn't be ranked more than 1 spot apart on the tier list.

Their uairs are identical (will go more in depth on the actual differences) and Mario's ftilt might be stronger when angled forward (I can't actually tell myself) but Doc's is definitely stronger when angled down so you could make the argument that Doc's is stronger overall.

Mario's jab is better than Doc's. The only difference between the two is a meager 1% damage and they are equally capable of "comboing" into dsmash. Doc's is inferior because he loses out on the mix up. The only strength to Doc's jab>dsmash rather than Mario's is the damage and knockback. However, if we are strictly talking "land hits" than Mario is still better because jab>utilt can potentially lead into more damage than Doc's jab>dsmash ever will.

mario's [throws] are too low to follow up on.
LOL no. This only applies to low % against Fox, Falco, and Falcon (the latter of which both will have a harder time following up on until later percents anyway). Otherwise, Mario's lower KB throws are more desirable for chaingrabbing and follow ups; especially on floatier characters.

Their uairs are the same. The only changes is that Mario's does 1% more damage (what you might be mistaking for extra KB) and has less L-cancel lag. This means that Mario's uair meets the criteria to be 0 on block when timed correctly; a utility Doc's will never enjoy while having the same KB. Mario's uair is better.

Doc is generally the better edgeguarder but I would still say that it becomes match up dependent. Especially against characters where offstage edgeguarding becomes the more efficient way to handle them; a scenario Mario would be better at.

Doc's ground game is better because of every reason I listed.
The only "reasons" you gave that applied to his ground game were throws and jabs. The former of which is actually worse in certain MUs and the latter of which is definitely worse than Doc's. Doc's poke and single-hit ground game is better but not his general ground game.

While some are arguable for either side, others are straight victories for doc, and both have a heavy reliance on d-smash, usually through crouch canceling, which without marth would be near impossible to beat for the two.. Its in the nature of how they play, and while mario's is excellent, docs is near broken and has much more utility with it. Its the fox u-smash of d-smashes. I will give you recovery however. Its much longer and more reliable. But pills are far better than fireballs for recovery. Not only do they come from above, where retaliation is more committal, but they are closer to doc and also much stronger, giving him a bigger window to survive. Marios can haired through, or the opponent can shield, or ledge grab or anything. Its useful, but not stellar likes pills are. N0ne himself told me he felt fireballs were better for recovery but he was just being a hipster and doesn't have good enough opposition where he lives.
I think there is too many situational discrepancies to suggest that one character is better than the other with dsmash differences being the backbone of your argument.

Last edited:

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
I 4-stocked: Mango, Mew2King, and Leffn at MLG Las vegas and I won Apex 2008

list:

Link
Young Link
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Pichu
Mewtwo
Metaknight
Roy
Kirby
Focks
Marf
Zelda
Sheik
Puff
Falco
Falcon
Luigi
Mario
The rest

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
I was on eventhubs and was wondering why people think space animals are a good match against Mario. His cape can easily take a stock from them because of their directional recovery.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
The above match is really just an example of Mango always going in and PC punishing him for it.

The Marios actually have a lot of good options in the MU. CC dsmash beats jabs and nairs, their throws set up for excellent damage/positional advantage, they have good anti-airs (usmash, up-b OoS) and they are probably the next best space animal edge guarders after Sheik and Marth. Add that with nuanced advantages like being pseudo-immune to uthrow>uair and ways to combat Falco's lasers, I'd say that the MUs are probably even. Though Doc might be better choice in this case since his single-hit punish game and trades are stronger. Plus he is easily the better gimper/edgeguarder than Mario which is pretty crucial in the MU. Still should be alright for Mario.

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
The above match is really just an example of Mango always going in and PC punishing him for it.

The Marios actually have a lot of good options in the MU. CC dsmash beats jabs and nairs, their throws set up for excellent damage/positional advantage, they have good anti-airs (usmash, up-b OoS) and they are probably the next best space animal edge guarders after Sheik and Marth. Add that with nuanced advantages like being pseudo-immune to uthrow>uair and ways to combat Falco's lasers, I'd say that the MUs are probably even. Though Doc might be better choice in this case since his single-hit punish game and trades are stronger. Plus he is easily the better gimper/edgeguarder than Mario which is pretty crucial in the MU. Still should be alright for Mario.
Mango went in like 2 times. He did good at the start, but just couldn't keep it going. The trick is to get space animals off the stage, but Mango couldn't do that for some reason. I guess when I play a space animal at MLG Anaheim, I'm gonna have to give it my all.

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
I can't take either of those lists in the OP seriously as long as they both say that Young Link is better than Link.

Varist

Smash Lord
Prototype 2015 list:

S:
Fox
Falco, Marth, Jigglypuff
Sheik, Peach
C. Falcon, Ice Climbers

A:
Doc
Pikachu, Samus
Luigi, Mario, Yoshi
Ganondorf

B:
no ones gives af except for link players

yoshi in a tier to appease the unrelenting amsa apologists who seem to get viciously ******** around the time people want to discuss tier lists. dont let them hurt me
plz no flame marth best character 2020

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
lol yoshi below DK and links? lmao
To be fair, this tier list is from 2013. aMSa's development with Yoshi's meta-game is still quite new, and we have yet to see whether people don't know how to deal with the new stuff or whether this new stuff is actually groundbreaking. That's why I think the meta needs more time before another tier list.

It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened: Fox and Falco were below Sheik and Marth at one point, IC's were considered garbage, and Jiggs didn't rise to the top tier list until 2010.

Madbro

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the list <3
Its good to know the two champions I love to play most are both A tier.
Dr Mario and Mario, as I am new to competative smash I don't think learning an A tier is going to put me at a massive disadvantage.
if A-Rookie can outplay as Mario, its possible.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
welcome to what being wrong feels like

also damn armada stomping that tournament just this weekend fugg
Armada is amazing but it doesn't change the fact that Peach is inferior to Sheik. In addition to losing to Falcon and probably being soft countered by Young Link, Peach has losing match ups against every character ranked above her on the tier list (short of maybe Falco, which is even at best) . Sheik isn't spectacular against spacies either and loses to ICs, but she basically counters or hard counters every other character in the game.

Gillmatic

Multifaceted Lacerator
Yeah Sheik > Peach. I'm not biased at all though...

lol tbh I'm not sure. Sheik doesn't really get messed up by anyone except the ****ing Ice Climbers. And I guess Falco/Fox are like 45-55 for her too....

Varist

Smash Lord
Armada is amazing but it doesn't change the fact that Peach is inferior to Sheik. In addition to losing to Falcon and probably being soft countered by Young Link, Peach has losing match ups against every character ranked above her on the tier list (short of maybe Falco, which is even at best) . Sheik isn't spectacular against spacies either and loses to ICs, but she basically counters or hard counters every other character in the game.
no, they both have losing matchups against puff but peach does way better against falco than sheik does, while only doing slightly worse against fox compared to sheik. peach does better against sheik than sheik does against her, peach even wins the head to head. peach v marth is even, peach has a higher skill ceiling than sheik, peach ***** ICs while sheik has trouble with them. And no one plays falcon.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
no, they both have losing matchups against puff but peach does way better against falco than sheik does, while only doing slightly worse against fox compared to sheik. peach does better against sheik than sheik does against her, peach even wins the head to head. peach v marth is even, peach has a higher skill ceiling than sheik, peach ***** ICs while sheik has trouble with them. And no one plays falcon.
Sheik/Puff is even according to KK (only becomes a losing MU if Sheik haphazardly tosses out grabs), regardless, Puff/Peach is an extremely hard counter and can't really be compared to Sheik/Puff. Sheik has the advantage against Peach in NTSC (its probably even, maybe the other way around in PAL) its just that Armada plays the MU all the time so he has basically perfected it (M2K addresses this fact at super sweet).

And Peach vs. Marth isn't even (it isn't terrible though) why else would PP waste so much time picking the character up to fight Armada just so he could play him in another even match up? Marth out prioritizes Peach and dominates at controlling space on the ground, all he really has to do is prevent her from pulling turnips and not fall for any silly baits. And it is far more likely for a Peach player to encounter a Falcon in bracket than a Sheik player to encounter ICs.

Perhaps your strangest point is that Peach has a higher skill ceiling than Sheik. Having a high skill ceiling doesn't make your character better (See: Ness). Sheik has a slew of tools which makes her a stronger character. She has better range, a stronger combo game, a higher priority uncatchable projectile, a stronger grab game, superior ground mobility, etc.

Peach is still really good though. She just isn't Sheik.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I am starting to think Ice Climbers are catching up to CF. Their neutral game can often compete, they have (if idealized) many opportunities for 0-to-deaths and while Falcon's metagame isn't evolving that much anymore players like Fly Amanita are implementing new technology in the game.
I could see the reasons why CF is still better but IC's metagame almost caught up imo.

Because Peach is hard for Falco...
I was never really certain about this match-up. I would think that with FH float and Falco's slow speed Peach becomes one of the few characters that can actually circumvent lasers. The only other characters I can think of that sort of mitigate laser play are Jiggs and ICs.

Last edited:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Puff doesn't seem to get hit by as many lasers due to her ability to float over and duck under many of them, however Puffs slow movement and lack of long-range options means that Falco still has plenty of opportunity to shoot lasers. Falco takes full advantage of lasers to maintain not only the stage control that he wants, but more often to keep momentum on his side. The smarter Falco players understand that Puff (and even Peach) will try to stay in that space above lasers, and intentionally shoot lasers and then punish that movement. You'll frequently see things like short hop laser into dash dances into back-turned shield, and then bairing their opponent if they try to jump over the laser and wavedashing away and resetting if they don't take the bait. Point being, if Falco struggles to hit you with lasers directly, he'll still use them tactfully.

Also, (@ 1 1MachGO ) I wouldn't call Falco vs Peach an "even" matchup. If we're talking about the highest level here, with players like PP and Armada, then we have to keep in mind that a Peach will generally get more out of a hit to Falco than vise versa, which is almost never the case for Falco. Peach can gimp Falco with a fair bit of ease, and she has plenty of tools to get him off stage - chiefly her nair, or followups off of grabs, dash-attacks, etc. Falco, however, usually has to kill Peach off the sides due to his poor vertical kill options, and difficulties in gimping Peach. Peach has huge survivability off the sides with proper DI, whereas Falco usually dies off the bottom in this matchup and dies at an earlier percent. This means that any setup or hit that can be followed up for Peach is that much stronger for her in her overall success. Now yes, Falco is still Falco, and it is hard for Peach to even get those hits to begin with due to how strong Falco is in both approaching and neutral, however a smart and conservative Peach will also make it difficult for Falco to get much momentum going. It's hard to straight up say that Peach has the advantage, but it's definitely fair to say that it's a hard matchup for Falco.

We have to remember that even though he's a spacie, that Falco is not Fox, so he actually does have weaknesses. hehehe

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Also, (@ 1 1MachGO ) I wouldn't call Falco vs Peach an "even" matchup. If we're talking about the highest level here, with players like PP and Armada, then we have to keep in mind that a Peach will generally get more out of a hit to Falco than vise versa, which is almost never the case for Falco. Peach can gimp Falco with a fair bit of ease, and she has plenty of tools to get him off stage - chiefly her nair, or followups off of grabs, dash-attacks, etc. Falco, however, usually has to kill Peach off the sides due to his poor vertical kill options, and difficulties in gimping Peach. Peach has huge survivability off the sides with proper DI, whereas Falco usually dies off the bottom in this matchup and dies at an earlier percent. This means that any setup or hit that can be followed up for Peach is that much stronger for her in her overall success. Now yes, Falco is still Falco, and it is hard for Peach to even get those hits to begin with due to how strong Falco is in both approaching and neutral, however a smart and conservative Peach will also make it difficult for Falco to get much momentum going. It's hard to straight up say that Peach has the advantage, but it's definitely fair to say that it's a hard matchup for Falco.

We have to remember that even though he's a spacie, that Falco is not Fox, so he actually does have weaknesses. hehehe
Your entire reasoning is almost entirely centered around the punish game. TBH, you could argue the punish game isn't in Falco's favor for almost every MU in the game. The spacies can get punished HARD which is why most mid/low tiers can do decent against them while getting wrecked by most other high tier characters.

I would say that Falco/Peach is an even match up which represents a more polarized version of Falco/Marth. What Falco has lost in his ability to punish, he has gained in his ability to control the neutral game. Peach is a character with weak ground mobility and poor forward hitbox coverage outside of dash attack and turnips. She heavily relies on walling and using her float to capitalize on minor changes in space. Falco being able to control the lane with lasers and prevent turnips is HUGE. While she can still utilize higher floats to move out of the way of short hop lasers, its still a serious blow to an otherwise abundant array of options she would normally posses in other match ups.

So without having to elaborate further, I would say that while Falco has less leeway to trade and make mistakes in the MU (relatively speaking that is lol) he has far more options in neutral compared to most characters in the Peach MU.

Now Falco/Samus is definitely a hard MU for Falco

Last edited:

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
How far behind do people actually consider Falco from Fox, because he doesn't seem that much weaker. Although it's usually better to pick fox vs puff or peach, but sometimes Falco does better against Marth on FD. To me, it seems like they are almost even?

Pretty much Fox/Falco are almost unanimously put together as the best and alternate which is the best depending upon who you talk with.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I 4-stocked: Mango, Mew2King, and Leffn at MLG Las vegas and I won Apex 2008

list:

Link
Young Link
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Pichu
Mewtwo
Metaknight
Roy
Kirby
Focks
Marf
Zelda
Sheik
Puff
Falco
Falcon
Luigi
Mario
The rest
I beat BattleROM at The Score @ Cool Springs and I can confirm this tier list. G&W is definitely better than Marth though.

For real though, lately I've been thinking that Falco is the best character in this game.

After seeing Mango at MLG, I don't think that anymore.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
For real though, lately I've been thinking that Falco is the best character in this game.

After seeing Mango at MLG, I don't think that anymore.
People already tend to bandwagon with Fox enough as it is, but do you really think Fox is better than Falco based off MLG? Mango played three matches in bracket; two of which were against the same opponent in a match up that definitely favors Fox. I guess his performance in crews was pretty outstanding, but Puff/Fox is another MU which favors Fox and Mango has had Hbox's # for like, ever.

Also, Marth definitely has the edge (no pun intended) over Fox in Marth/Fox. If PP kept using Marth, he would have forced Mango to go Falco.

IMO, Falco is probably the best in singles and Fox is the best in doubles.

shapular

Smash Ace
People already tend to bandwagon with Fox enough as it is, but do you really think Fox is better than Falco based off MLG? Mango played three matches in bracket; two of which were against the same opponent in a match up that definitely favors Fox. I guess his performance in crews was pretty outstanding, but Puff/Fox is another MU which favors Fox and Mango has had Hbox's # for like, ever.

Also, Marth definitely has the edge (no pun intended) over Fox in Marth/Fox. If PP kept using Marth, he would have forced Mango to go Falco.

IMO, Falco is probably the best in singles and Fox is the best in doubles.
It's mostly that people have been saying for years that Fox was the best character if played at near-TAS level, but since nobody's really been close to that, it didn't matter. It also didn't help that there haven't been any top-level dedicated Fox mains for the past few years. Now Mango's picked up Fox full-time and his performance at MLG looked pretty darn close to TAS. I'm not saying that Fox is 100% for sure the best character, but if we see Mango keep up that level of performance at CEO and Evo, I don't think there will be any more doubt. I'm also not saying that Fox has the separation from the other top tiers that Meta Knight does in Brawl. It's possible that he can have a matchup that's not in his favor and still be the best character. It's not like he has any truly bad matchups.

Top Bottom