• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2010 Marth MU Discussion vs. D3

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
IF d3 lands on the battlefield platform with his up-b, its a free tipper fsmash... I dont see anybody else doing it

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
IF d3 lands on the battlefield platform with his up-b, its a free tipper fsmash... I dont see anybody else doing it
I didn't know that, I'll have to stop up smashing.

Ok, I've played this mu alot and it's super annoying. DDD is just going to grab and and grab. At a low percent marth should avoid getting grabbed. Marth should rarely use DB, DDD punishes way too much. I suppose that marth should just fair/nair DDD and space f tilt/ D tilt. The best way to kill is to bait a f tilt and kill with a tipper nair, or tipper f smash. DS is also a possibility but really shouldn't be used, DDD usually baits it. Aviod getting up tilted. Also try to juggle DDD if possible.

45/55

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
Mikehaze the knockback can be the direction you're facing, you just need to space it weirdly

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
give me a good way to describe spacing via text and i can answer that.

()
==------------------->*
ll
ll
ll
ll
_

it should look something like that

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Marth's Ftilt should tipper D3 at the range you space on the ground, and ftilt is useful

Similarly Neutral air should tipper for aerial spacing, and be used to shield poke (if he doesn't tilt it up)

When D3 is landing, always be wary he will use a lot of his jumps and look to either inhale you or backair you.
Don't let him do either, and don't let him stay on the ground.

D3 offstage is put in a terrible position by grab pummel -> release, and can be tipper spiked at the height of it. Combine the facts.

Watch out for D3's that use backair to return to stage by hitting you away from the ledgeguard. Also be wary of a fastfalled fair or bair at any point in the match because it can gimp you.

Don't let D3's ftilt bait you into approaching, just powershield it and pretend it didn't happen. Any other response is letting yourself get conditioned.

When grabbed, tilt the control stick away from D3 to give him a hard-*** time in chain grabbing you.

In a good match, there should be a lot of camping, and whenever D3 or Marth gets a hit there should be a rockslide of events that lead to demise in offstage ****.

Don't grab the ledge to edgeguard D3, just to gimp if you can time it correctly and not be predictable.

Use ledgegrop fair from the stage to back him up if he's low, and dtilt.

Counter is decent for damage against D3's landing. Why let his landing eat your shield so you can smash attack him? Not worth it.

Full hop Dair is a ***** move that D3 can pull out to RUIN YOU in the neutral situation when you over anticipate grab.

Spotdodging out of fear in front of a good D3 is serving yourself on a silver platter. Use rolls or jab to get him away.

∫unk

Smash Master
everyone i played has been a significantly different level than me and/or have varying degrees of matchup knowledge, so i'm not sure i even know myself.

most people simply just don't do the right thing, including myself. a lot of times i feel like if they fixed the few mistakes they would be a lot harder, and the matchup would be different.

with marth that might be practicing all the gimps/edgeguards on ddd with a good ddd player so one of you learns how to recover and the other learns how to edgeguard.

with ddd that might be practicing perfect cg's and all the cg mindgames.

to answer your question; i don't have a specific ratio, the range is even to advantage ddd and it's somewhere in there.

Laurel

Smash Ace
i think d3 is an easier mu than donkey kong, and dk/marth are 50/50?

that's just me tho

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Playing DK is actually pretty **** tough. Impatience = get ***** and spacing has no select safe point other than below DK, and even then DK can retreat with Bair. Also...UpB edgeguard from DK is ridiculous. But everything can be gotten used to, and is mostly gimmicky.

D3 doesn't need gimmicks as much. That grab range is ****IN awful.
If D3 is recovering and you let him onstage MEMORIZE WHAT WENT WRONG AND NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN IN YOUR SMASH CAREER.

But seriously, use Down-B on the D3 landing if it's definite on stage.
If it's not, watch for the punishable moment he turns to a flopper and goes for the edge so you can fsmash him back into a re-edgeguard.

DON'T TAKE THE LEDGE against a good d3 you're giving up the lead and being impatient.
DON'T STAND TOO NEAR THE LEDGE when d3 is on it because he can hit you from under the stage, stagehop and dair you, or just get up and grab you before you realize.

And the matchup is very dependent on FOLLOWUPS.
If D3 is in the air and you're not trying to get him offstage (whether by going beneath him at an angle that makes him have to land away closer to a ledge, or by aerialing him there), you've given up a free opportunity.

Once D3 has YOU on a ledge (from a grab...probably), you gon' get ****ed up too. Don't be afraid to use things like counter and up-B to get the **** out of possible grabs or smacks. Be wreckless like Mikehaze.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
DK can be zoned effectively with a lead.
Like he has great range but we have that magical thing called disjoints.
We can always be skimming around his max range and win in any encounter.

Top Bottom