• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

100% Juice - The best things in life are free.

Allied

Smash Master
shadows a mohuggin beast
ether u still up for teaming with me at knightmares?

btw guys i got a wii ima try the online of it ^_^

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
So my grandmother could beat it by drooling on the controller, then?
Like 90% of the video games that have ever been made? Please, the DKC series has aged a well, and a proper sequel would be enjoyed by many. How many 2D platformers surpass this series in quality?

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Like 90% of the video games that have ever been made? Please, the DKC series has aged a well, and a proper sequel would be enjoyed by many. How many 2D platformers surpass this series in quality?
I'd very much enjoy a sequel. I was very disappointed with the 3rd though

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Pro-tip: Video game cynicism won't get you very far in life. Take it from someone that's 4+ years your senior and outgrew that phase a long time ago.

Targetted at: Not Kai.

DKC2 was amazing, Kai.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I'd very much like to go to your event chibo but it's too far from my house and I can't stay with my unlce this weekend(1/2 hour from your event). Are you doing another smash at the shore event this summer?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Pro-tip: Video game cynicism won't get you very far in life. Take it from someone that's 4+ years your senior and outgrew that phase a long time ago.

Targetted at: Not Kai.

DKC2 was amazing, Kai.
See, I wouldn't be cynical if today's standards didn't create games that have no learning curve. Games back in the era of the NES, Genesis, and Super NES tended to be at least moderately difficult if not almost impossible (Ghosts'n'goblins), and I enjoyed that. Now, I'm not against there being easy games; the consumer need something to play. But almost every game nowadays is ridiculously easy or, in the case of multiplayer games, clearly favors the person who is not winning (Mario Kart? Brawl?). Games keep you going with achievements for what used to be considered mere plot continuation (Hey, grats, you watched a cinematic! Here have an achievement). Many of the games that ARE hard (i.e. Fire Emblem) are hard in terms of design flaws; using the given example, I can have perfect strategy and get a bad dice roll that ends up killing me, be it by a miss when I have a 99% chance to hit or being crit when the guy has a 1% chance to do so (inb4inuicontradictingmeonFEbeingpoorlymade).

I'm not the one in the phase, the game community is, what with the recent influx of entitled casuals. When games start having difficulty again, and I have something to master, I won't have any problem with the industry and its standards.

But right now, the standard seems to be games for non-gamers, and that's not a standard I want any game I would play tailored to.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
But almost every game nowadays is ridiculously easy or, in the case of multiplayer games, clearly favors the person who is not winning (Mario Kart? Brawl?).
Mario Kart still requires far more skill than luck barring a few stages. Go watch world record time trials kthx.

using the given example, I can have perfect strategy and get a bad dice roll that ends up killing me, be it by a miss when I have a 99% chance to hit or being crit when the guy has a 1% chance to do so
God, I HATE that bull****.

When games start having difficulty again, and I have something to master, I won't have any problem with the industry and its standards.
[13:21] <Veteru> only 4 chars can use espers
[13:21] <Veteru> no stat boost from espers either
[13:21] <Veteru> all magic using chars (the ones who can use espers) had phys stats nerfed
[13:22] <Veteru> doesn't make sense for the best magic users to be the best fighters too
[13:23] <Veteru> also other changes like
[13:23] <Veteru> Edgar gets jump added permanently
[13:24] <Veteru> locke has capture instead of steal
[13:24] <Veteru> shadow gains steal
[13:24] <Veteru> some of cyan's swordtechs modified
[13:24] <Veteru> Terra lost access to swords / knight armor
[13:24] <Veteru> uses rod set + some other stuff
[13:25] <Veteru> celes still can use swords (she's magitek knight after all) but her phys stats are nerfed drastically
[13:29] <Tonberry> did they nerf cat scratch?
[13:29] <Veteru> it's still good
[13:29] <Veteru> not gdlk
[13:29] <Veteru> I think it's a lower attack mod
[13:35] <Veteru> the game creator actually DELETED mog's mithril shield
[13:35] <Veteru> since he knows people like to steal mog's equipment
[13:43] <Veteru> they modified the spells terra learns naturally

Want this cyanide?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Mario Kart still requires far more skill than luck barring a few stages. Go watch world record time trials kthx.
Time trials and the rest of the game are very different things; if Mario Kart was just time trials, sure, and I've actually poured an extensive amount of time, especially into Double Dash, of getting excellent TTs.

And that actually sounds sexy. @_@

Top Bottom