• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

C.J.

Smash Master
We never stored bread in the refrigerator until my step mom moved in. Now we do though.

:phone:

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Guys, it's okay. CJ just doesn't see the issue the same way I do. I say it's important to give everyone the best advice that works at high levels, not the tricks and combos that only work on lower level people.

Moving on - do you guys have skype accounts? If you guys would like to analyze videos, I would definitely be willing to organize a session and put together a list of good videos with different players. I'd be sure to include a variety of character MUs so we'd cover a wide array of material. We'd keep the session concise and organized so we don't take up too much time. Is anyone interested?

Player-3

Smash Hero
there's already a marth skype chat

it seems to talk about the male genetalia alot whenever i open my skype thats all i usually see tho

Tennet

Smash Champion
quick question, how many people here store there bread in the refrigerator?

I don't, if my mom freezes extra bread it will go in the fridge to thaw when it's going to be needed but that is the only time that happens.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I only store bread in the fridge when I have an ant problem, or when I need it to last just a bit longer and I know I'm going to toast it. 99% of the time though, no.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
why do u store bread in the frig? u believe it makes it last longer? or it's just what ya parents did so now
u do it too? thanks for the feed back guys

Reizilla

Guys, it's okay. CJ just doesn't see the issue the same way I do. I say it's important to give everyone the best advice that works at high levels, not the tricks and combos that only work on lower level people.
I can guarantee you that CJ says nothing of the sort. You seem to lack an understanding of what fundamentals are or something.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
lol it was indeed my mother's habit originally

Uncherished Rei: o_o what's your problem lol, why are you randomly insulting me xD I don't lack fundamentals..? are you talking about in brawl or in debating? I have the fundamentals in both.

Reizilla

lol it was indeed my mother's habit originally

Uncherished Rei: o_o what's your problem lol, why are you randomly insulting me xD I don't lack fundamentals..? are you talking about in brawl or in debating? I have the fundamentals in both.
I'm not necessarily insulting you, so much as I know you're putting words in CJ's mouth, which means you either disagree with step-by-step learning, or you're just not understanding what he's saying.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Well brawl doesn't have step-by-step learning like other professions or games. I learned how to do BCATs, RQSs, spinshots, ASC cancels, wavebounced, SMSs, and other important advanced techs with all my characters by 2010 even when I wasn't a *top level player.* It's easy to learn these skills but from there you yourself have to practice in order to apply them successfully in-game.

clowsui

Smash Legend
quest you're taking offense unnecessarily lol.

I say it's important to give everyone the best advice that works at high levels, not the tricks and combos that only work on lower level people.
additionally, CJ is highly unlikely to have suggested the advice that you described above. that would be bad advice, and CJ has like NEVER given bad advice lol.

w regards to "brawl doesn't have step by step learning" all of those are techniques that every player can learn. however, it's not logically incorrect to say that at each level players have different tendencies in terms of applying those techniques. a player at lower levels, for example, tends to do DB1 without an understanding of why. he just does it, and doesn't understand why he gets punished sometimes for doing it. the player advances to a mid level, and then understands that DB1 can be used to make the opponent "freeze up", especially if they block it. so then he starts doing DB1 and finds that the opponent is shielding a lot, then gets free grabs. but then the player plays better people and finds out that his opponents dodge after DB1 hits their shield and doesn't know what to do other than grab. the player proceeds to advance to a higher level, revisits the tactic, and comes to understand that even if the opponent immediately uses an in-shield dodge tactic to beat DB1 when they block it, the player is still at an advantage. et cetera

Reizilla

CJ gives bad advice on food. He likes that meat and cheese stuff.

Reizilla

I heard Shaya's not a real vegetarian. And that he doesn't like tofu.

What if I keep my bread on top of my fridge? Is that like half a point?

NH Cody

Smash Champion
ugh...okay this is what I'm thinking of -
Since you're a mid level player, most people will default to just shielding, which allows you to open them up.
You can't assume that people's opponents will default to shielding or anything in particular after facing a certain kind of pressure :( they might start rolling more, spotdodging, going more aggro, or they may even do none of the above and try resetting to neutral...

I still <3 ya though clowsui! no homo

Reizilla

Tofu is the best part about being vegetarian/vegan. It's like how you can't be a Marth main unless you like tennis.

C.J.

Smash Master
CJ gives bad advice on food. He likes that meat and cheese stuff.
I like vegetarian and vegan food as well!

I heard Shaya's not a real vegetarian. And that he doesn't like tofu.

What if I keep my bread on top of my fridge? Is that like half a point?
Shaya will eat meat at like family reunions and the like since that's all his family serves lol.

also who the **** stores bread in the fridge then its all cold and nasty
I know =(
Tofu is the best part about being vegetarian/vegan. It's like how you can't be a Marth main unless you like tennis.
I can see this.

I don't watch tennis.
Like=/= watch

Also, you secretly main peach. You just don't know it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
ugh...okay this is what I'm thinking of -

You can't assume that people's opponents will default to shielding or anything in particular after facing a certain kind of pressure :( they might start rolling more, spotdodging, going more aggro, or they may even do none of the above and try resetting to neutral...

I still <3 ya though clowsui! no homo
? i'm not offended. all you are asking for is some clarification!

You are right in that I cannot assume that the behavior of every mid-level opponent is as I described.

That being said, if they do NOT fall prey to the tactic I described, then these are the most likely possibilities (if you want me to counter what I consider to be minute possibilities, feel free to propose them lol):
1. They are at an even lower level and happen to get lucky
2. They are at the level I describe but know not to fall prey to that tactic
3. They are at an even higher level than I describe and know not only how to not fall prey to that tactic but also understand how to counterattack/punish/bait it effectively

If 1., then this technique should still work consistently. If it doesn't, then the assessment of the opponent is likely to be inaccurate.
If it's 3., then my advice to the person would be just to gain a better understanding of the weakness of the tactic by losing OR to try to win against the opponent through different means, etc.

If it's 2., and the opponent is at roughly the same level, I would propose the following: you have gained valuable information. You KNOW the opponent only knows how to "defend" against your tactic, but not counterattack/punish/bait it (effectively). Now you should take care to employ other strategies that exploit this defense - either ones that I have listed or ones that i have not.

Ex:

Q: "OK so what happens when my opponent doesn't shield?"

A: "I'll assume, for the sake of simplicity, that they're the same level of play as you. If they're not shielding, you have them fearing fair and/or grab. This means that they are likely to avoid shielding all together, instead preferring to give up stage space. This is what you want. Now, if you want something less passive (ie something that will definitely lead to hitting the opponent/getting you momentum/getting you damage), then the opponent is more likely to be susceptible to dash DBs, dtilts, or even walking up and grabbing them. Be creative!"

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Thaw it out when you wanna use it, then keep it on either the counter, or in a breadbox.
My kitchen is apples, so it's kept in an apple breadbox.

It's amazingly convenient because...well...

:applejack:

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Ex:

Q: "OK so what happens when my opponent doesn't shield?"

A: "I'll assume, for the sake of simplicity, that they're the same level of play as you. If they're not shielding, you have them fearing fair and/or grab. This means that they are likely to avoid shielding all together, instead preferring to give up stage space. This is what you want. Now, if you want something less passive (ie something that will definitely lead to hitting the opponent/getting you momentum/getting you damage), then the opponent is more likely to be susceptible to dash DBs, dtilts, or even walking up and grabbing them. Be creative!"
I see what you're saying! However, I submit that the bottom line is to focus on reading your opponent and adapt to his or her unique habits. Your answer to the hypothetical question may not be an accurate assessment of all mid level players because they may prove resilient in this particular situation but weak in others. It may be that the person is not shielding for a number of reasons...not just out of fear of getting faired or grabbed. It may be that they are naturally aggro and spend more time attacking than defending...or it might even be that they are baiting an approach if they stay at mid to long range.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
Stop all this arguing. It's all a waste of time because I'm just awesome.
I replied to u in the regional thread but me and my friend jt represent tn we would love to help out with your plan

Thaw it out when you wanna use it, then keep it on either the counter, or in a breadbox.
My kitchen is apples, so it's kept in an apple breadbox.

It's amazingly convenient because...well...

:applejack:
interesting, thanks for the feed back

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I said it was drama because of the mood/attitude of the conversation. Seemed to be a little too much about insulting then arguing.

@CJ
Whoa whoa whoa, I'll never eat meat, even at a family reunion. What I will do? I'll have chicken stock Matza Ball Soup because I'm Jewish and avoiding it even as a Vegetarian (when a lot of Jews are vegetarian because it's easier to be Kosher that way) is pretty hard unless they were prepared. Chicken Fat (in just about all dishes from anything Asian) or Tallow (beef fat, used for frying just about all fries at all fast food chains and the like throughout the universe for the past century or so until recent switch to palm oil [worse for you health wise] or actual olive/canola for the sake of seeming healthier/appeasing to vegetarians) are used in countless products and I avoid them but I don't split hairs when I'm hungry and there aren't other options. I'd still go hungry if it was an actual chicken or beef or whatever dish though.

Also we've always frozen our bread, even fresh loafs (sp?). Exception is like from french baguettes which taste god tier amazing and need to be eaten instantly. If it's wrapped up properly you will get no ickyness from defrosting it with a toaster. A loaf of bread, turkish buns for burgers, garlic bread, etc etc, all frozen.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
There was not one instance of insulting or demeaning at all in my entire response o_o I just checked lol...I really don't like it when mods try and censor debates. It's like an implication that we don't have the capacity to discuss matters calmly and rationally. Not everyone's always going to agree on everything so trying to shut down EVERY discussion when it's not even riddled with personal attacks and slander doesn't make sense. You clearly didn't see my multiple smilies and lighthearted tone xD

C.J.

Smash Master
I thought you said you eat red meat there.

I guess it was just your mom that does that then. My bad, sorry :x

Top Bottom