• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Another important thing I forgot to mention is instant-throwing, not sure old that is, but its a must learn these days.

But about true pivoting.

What you basically do is cancel the start of a fox-trot by moving the analog in the opposite direction of the fox trot. After moving it in the opposite direction, if you bring the analog back to neutral within two (?) frames of that input, your character will be in a standing position, facing backwards with absolutely all of his options open.

If you fail to get it back to neutral within two frames, he'll start a dash in the opposite direction, which is a lot easier and still very useful. You can use this to bait a landing in a certain direction and punish with usmash or an aerial. To dash > fsmash in either direction quite easily. Retreating pivot grab. A simple feint. Or to approach/wall with a pretty much autospaced bair.

Its pretty awesome and still underused at this point. I personally do it a lot. My most common applications of it involve bair and it makes Fsmash a LOT more useful as well.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
people have been using platform canceling since the game came out

retreating aerials was ****ing 07 metagame and the game wasnt even out yet

what does that mean people have figured out marths walls. with marths tools there are a ton of things he could do when he zones someone, its not the same thing over and over. people can read it or use a good option to get past it but its not like its just 'figured out'
NOBODY used platform canceling for a very long time. It was discovered in the first few weeks of brawl, but literally nobody used it. Mike was the first to apply it well, but as Nike said, Mr. R really started the platform canceling revolution. And not just for Marths, for everybody.

Yea, retreating aerials are used LESS now is what I'm saying. People break through and punish walls (that don't involve bananas or nades) a lot better now. Basically, things like Marth's shdfair are almost non-existant, and throwing out a series of fairs or nairs to wall when you have a lead is pretty much a no-no as well. Marths walls get exploited quickly.

zoning =/= walling. Marths playstyle still revolves around zoning and taking away options, but he doesn't do it via walling.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
well i used it lol. whatever i forgot i don't care. who is going to MLG dallas? i'm debating going to just see people

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
wtf. I used Plat Canceling on 08 as soon as I learned it from Neo.

The EUs just look the sexiest while doing it.

It is true that walling isn't as much of Marth's metagame as it was in 08. It mainly focuses on offensive pressure strings and maintaining advantage after landing the first hit.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, wow. lol. Walling as in just sitting there throwing out moves and forcing them to get past it. Oh my bad. Yeah that only works vs bad players/chars. I was thinking more of just spacing in general and honing in on certain ranges and locking people down. Similar but not the same.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
@Sov

I like Renji. Gin and Uliquorra are my fav's.
Sorry if I murdered the spelling.
Uliq reminds me of marth. Byakuya is too snooty IMO.
Byakuya is not snooty. He's one of the most real characters in the anime, imo, but I'm a fanboy, what do I know, especially since I don't even watch or read about Bleach. All I know is Byakuya.

Also, these boards get a lot of activity. I'm gonna like comin' around here.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
steel,emblem lord, pierce, and the year "08" in the last page. oh man i'm liking this thread all over again. <3 no more of that ******** way off topic discussion. (:

burnerboyaccount

Smash Rookie
I know none of you know me i mostly lurk but i was checking the last 10ish~ pages and WOW
dont wanan sound like a meatrider but str8 up blm was just defending his case against p-3, clow, and chaosmarth

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
I know none of you know me i mostly lurk but i was checking the last 10ish~ pages and WOW
dont wanan sound like a meatrider but str8 up blm was just defending his case against p-3, clow, and chaosmarth
defending what? that he threw this whole thread of course? I don't wanna get into this whole thing again, but its something you have to have read back at least 20pages to understand.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Ok, wow. lol. Walling as in just sitting there throwing out moves and forcing them to get past it. Oh my bad. Yeah that only works vs bad players/chars. I was thinking more of just spacing in general and honing in on certain ranges and locking people down. Similar but not the same.
Well I wasn't really talking about just mindlessly throwing out aerials, though a lot of Marths did actually used to do that (and some probably still do). My definition of walling is not necessarily aiming to hit, but putting out hitboxes in front of them so that if they try to approach they get hit. Doesn't have to be mindless, but either way, it doesn't work so well anymore. Marth relies on pressure and exploiting positional advantage. He's one of the best at keeping his momentum going and abusing someone once he has them where he wants them.

Some matchups, such as MK however, are IMO won by patient play and a **** ton of baiting. Pressure gets you ***** against MK and a few others. But yea, you get the idea.

Lol Steel see what people assume when vids aren't uploaded?

Mr. R started the platform cancel revolution? LOL
As much as some people don't want to believe it, it was Mr. R's videos that sparked a lot of people to learn platform canceling and it spread like wild-fire from there.

I'm not saying that he was the first to use it, but he started that "revolution" if you will.

*EDIT: More people gotta rep that light blue. It's just like... Chaz and I.

Anyone else I don't know about that rocks light blue?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Me and raziek are teaming for mlg x)
:awesome:

This obviously implies that Nike and I are both going to MLG.

Laurel is too, and Mike, so we have at least 4 Marths. I can't think of any reason why Pierce wouldn't, so 5? xD

@Bengals - BLUE MAAARTH!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I have reached a dilemma. I don't know what color I should rep for my return.

Serious dilemma IMO.

Top Bottom