• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS General Discussion

Tesh

Smash Hero
I was mashing jump and I had to have 3 of them left because I had just jumped off of the ledge. It even happened again after that match.

Freaky anyway, perhaps you could show me another video of that?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I was mashing jump and I had to have 3 of them left because I had just jumped off of the ledge. It even happened again after that match.

Freaky anyway, perhaps you could show me another video of that?
I've this happen before with a different electric attack. Basically when you get stage spiked when hit by an electric move, you can't meteor cancel. Since you can't meteor cancel, your jumps won't push you upwards.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You literally didn't react fast enough.
If you notice, you jumped.

All electric attacks cause the character who is hit to vibrate.
If you hit a wall, you bounce off of it.
That's it.
I've this happen before with a different electric attack. Basically when you get stage spiked when hit by an electric move, you can't meteor cancel. Since you can't meteor cancel, your jumps won't push you upwards.
one of you is wrong

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Does D smash push you up slightly when you're in the air? I've never seen D smash spike unless they DI'd up into the stage, but in that video he jumps and D smash stage spikes him before the stun even wears off.

A similar thing happens when I footstool people after a D smash sometimes. They go through the normal footstool animation but they vibrate.

Could someone test how many frames Pit is stunned at 89% and how many frames it took for him to die after the D smash in that video?

I'm going to guess that you have to incur the full D smash stun if you're pushed up into the bottom of the stage by D smash and any attempt to jump will give you that weird animation with significantly less vertical distance. I would test this myself but I don't have anyone who can jump into my D smash right below the stage.

This might also be worth looking into and related. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqhgI5X_0uc :35

When you D smash infinite ROB sometimes he lays there on the ground and vibrates after the footstool too. It looks like he's having a seizure.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
at above -

Yes, it pops them up sliiightly

Reminds me of when we footstool someone whos in dsmash stun.
youre so good at repeating things.

Nobody can test that and we dont need to

that nickriddle **** is just because hes still sorta in knockback

So, thats all. drop the subject

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Lol I'm just interested in what causes this. I like learning new things about the game. :D Plus, there may be some application to this.

For the footstool sometimes they fall and stay in stun and sometimes they freeze then go through the footstool animation. I've seen Snake do both when I d smash him after down B. I've seen characters fall and stay in stun when I footstool them. It happens sometimes when I d smash DK out of Up B then footstool.

@the samus charge shot/electric hitbox thing: I've meteor cancelled GenoSamus' charge shot stage spikes many times before. I think this only applies to her D smash stun.

Tesh

Smash Hero
My immediately thought when this happened was that the tilting stage hit me when I would otherwise be held still in special stun lag. The stage is technically always moving, which is why you can always platform cancel.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I was playing around with this. If we buffer a down b out of the release and kick outwards asap it hits DDD (with the horizontal knockback "flubb" part of the kick) if he jumps.

Now consider the position we're putting him into. His options are to fair, jump, airdodge, up b (correct me if I'm wrong). Regardless of if he sees the kick coming or not, his options are limited. He doesn't have time to fair before the kick hits. If he airdodges he retains the momentum from the release and is falling diagonally down and away from the stage. It looks like we hit him before his up b can come out. The best way I could see him getting out is to jump and buffer a dodge, which I can't test

I duno, I think this should be looked into, basically how risky is it. The down b is gonna kill at like 80%, and sets up out of a dsmash, which would be incredible for the matchup

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Btw the dsmash forces an air release on zelda as well (lol) although we don't chaingrab her and the down b doesn't hit her so it's not nearly as useful

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Nice find! It would be cool if someone could see if it hits them if they jump and air dodge. We could turn this into an aerial tech chase, I think. If they jump they get down B'd, if they don't we can run off the stage and plasma whip him. Air dodging puts him in a really bad position and I don't think Up B would be able to get him back on stage.

At low percents we could follow up the down B with an Fair or maybe footstool.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Guess he thought we wouldn't want to see dtilt

Oh well, usmash is much different than we thought eh?
He has data linked to 2 taunts, 1 for articles, 1 for the other stuff.

He just didnt show usmash with other stuff, just the article.

So yeah, wanna see dtilt? Here you go, from sasook

Though I think one of the 2 is wrong at least with ftilt because the video shows it doesnt cover her feet perfectly but sasooks pics show that it does.

Tesh

Smash Hero
That getup attack is almost as broken as Donkey Kong's. Here I am spaced safely away from the ledge (or so I thought) and she whips out some sort of Snake style hitbox.

throw dem bows ZSS

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Since we're talking about hitboxes (and nair in particular), I thought I'd let you guys in on something Yeroc found out while coding for Project: M ZSS.

You know how if you are moving forward when you hit with the second hit of nair, your opponent gets hit forward?

There's no reason for it to do that. It's magic.

Zero

Smash Hero
This happens because the slide off the platform cancels the laser animation. This is essentially how downB cancelling works. You can theoretically do it with any move in the air.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Hahaha my bordem is getting the better of me. This is just for the lulz btw .Im sure this is not useful or hard to figure out, but i just learned how to go high enough to cancel dair when you hit the ground lol. Full hop footstool + up B --> Double jump + Up B then dair. (yes, i know you can do it if you get hit up there, but who wants to get hit :p)

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Hi guys!

A few days ago I announced an interesting research project for the sake of gathering information for the whole MK thing that's risen up again. It's a case study on myself where I switch my main for 6 months. So until February 4th (possibly longer if i switch permanently!), I will be a Zero Suit Samus main!

I'm currently combing the boards for as much useful information as I can. I'm going to start by practicing various techniques on my own (that funny ROB infinite since t0mmy a top player in my state, item shenanigans, dash attack buffering, etc) and work from there.

My first tournament is either next weekend or the weekend after, depending on how money/scheduling goes. I hope to get some videos in here for critique as I progress through this project! Check out the link in my signature to get a more detailed view of the project.

I look forward to interacting with you guys!

-Tuen

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Nice good luck. The best strategy IMO is to first learn her recovery options (reading the guide is helpful). After that, learn her frame data so you know your OOS options and frame traps. After that watch some Nick Riddle or Dakpo videos to see some good high level play

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You can't really learn her recovery 'til you play against someone who is truly skilled at gimping her.

For example, MK has this trick with nair which basicly means "If you haven't recovered from above you're gimped". He just nairs just below the ledge, and it hits all the animations from tether moves and gives him enough time to hit through downB.
Oh did I notice that ZSS has the worst landing game ever? So yeah, good luck recovering against MK and lotsa lotsa characters.

Knowing how to get around without shielding is a good thing too, and pretty darn hard actually. If you observe enough you know which moves you can punish with utilt/uair oos (like Falco's dair if it isn't perfectly landed), and you can start applying shield if you have a read.

You can pretty much go 2 ways with ZSS. 1 way is like Nick, and the other is more of a Quiksilver approach. Nick you can see in videos, Quik is kinda different. He pretty much makes constant small reads to keep the pressure going. Is he staying in shield if I short hop over him, when does he jump, rolls, starting a dash etc etc.
I prefer going the Nick way mainly because it's way hard to play like Quik lol

but yeah have fun

.EXE

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha my bordem is getting the better of me. This is just for the lulz btw .Im sure this is not useful or hard to figure out, but i just learned how to go high enough to cancel dair when you hit the ground lol. Full hop footstool + up B --> Double jump + Up B then dair. (yes, i know you can do it if you get hit up there, but who wants to get hit :p)
Thanks Dakpo I finally learned that but honestly I'm like is this even useful where am I going to use this in a match lolz

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Its honestly not useful so you shouldnt try it in tourney or anything. But it is good to know how high you have to be to cancel dair. Dash it in every once and a while and it will catch people off guard (I'm talking about when you get hit super high from someone elses attack and then use dair ).

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
^^ I actually tend to do that

i usually dair into a shield, utilt, or dtilt.

Most people don't suspect anything to come out in general.

It helps our AMAZING landing on stage ability.

lol.

Top Bottom