• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Video Discussion

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me for i am but an ex brawl scrub, but what kind of pviots are you doing that require attacking 0.o?

some jump cancel something or rather?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
In Melee, you could cancel any point in the initial dash with a standing turn-around in the opposite direction. Out of this animation, you can perform any grounded action in the game. This was the basis for dash dancing, as you can obviously dash out of a standing turn-around. But it was also useful for instantly turning around and attacking. This is the idea behind performing a pivot.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Oro vs fast fallers if you get a dsmash please dont uair them. you have enough time to grab which leads to even stronger followups.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So many raw grabs. ;~;

Your neutral game is really stale. You need to do more than move around and occasionally shoot Paralyzers, then grab. Walling with shffl bair is always good, and you can often use nair and fair as really powerful air to airs. Pivot dsmashes are really strong against undercommitments.

Uair isn't much of a KO move now, when your opponent is at KO percents, you're better off using bair or fair.

Dash attack isn't very great for covering missed techs, since it recovers after a successful tech, putting you at a disadvantage. I prefer shffl nair, since if you time it right, you can actually react to the tech option with a utilt or dash attack.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Really unsafe move choices as well in neutral. Jabs are relatively unsafe just like Brawl, and more used for boxing shield pressure/mixups. Dtilt is crouch cancellable for a really long time.

Your punish game is really weak as well. Fsmash shouldn't be your go to move choice after DSmash unless you are sure it will kill or set up an edgeguard. Uair/Nair is a 50/50 DI mixup and there are certain percents against certain characters that they can lead to pretty much guarnateed extended punishes. Grab is also basically always better off of DSmash as well.

Your movement was the most jarring thing to me though. Work on getting more fluid, as weird as it may be as a transition from Brawl. Wavedashing is definitely essential as is SHFFLing at will.

Last edited:

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
What are generally strong tools for her neutral game? I always feel like ZSS has to sacrifice so much screen just to throw anything out.

Last edited:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
She does, but she can afford to. Blaster cancels allow you to take as much screen as you generally have to give up, so I consider it a fair trade off between a wide range defense and offense. You can space nair/bair to be safe vs a lot of shield options and/or vs Crouch Cancelling. Laser cancelling DOES allow easier grab attempts as you know, but it is not guaranteed by any means, and you should mix up dsmash and aerial usage in addition to just spacing with more movement with the space that blaster allows you to take. SideB is way less safe on whiff AND hit at lower percents than Brawl, so limited usage or matchup specific usage comes into play. It's really good vs bigger characters like Bowser and DK.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
SideB is way less safe on whiff AND hit at lower percents than Brawl, so limited usage or matchup specific usage comes into play. It's really good vs bigger characters like Bowser and DK.
Do you mean shield hit or... just hit? Side B effectively not being able to be power shielded makes it impossible to punish unless you're against like, Fox or something.

Unless you whiff the move, then it's garbage and you should start crying.

Last edited:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Just hit. You can CC the move decently well through all hits, and you can also take the first hit if you are grounded and CC-> shield the remaining hits of SideB, meaning you never get the strong hit.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think it imbalances certain aspects of the game more than it balances others. I have no qualms with a parry mechanic, but the fact that you can do it at lower percentages during other moves is absurd. I'd also rather it be a windowed mechanic rather than a passive and low-tech way of eliminating large amounts of opponent options.

I also don't consider hitting someone who's crouch canceling to be "on hit," but that's because I regard CC as a parry, not as an undefended attack.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
This may just be semantics but it's not a parry. A parry will deflect/block a hit. CC still gets you hit but reduces knockback etc.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This may just be semantics but it's not a parry. A parry will deflect/block a hit. CC still gets you hit but reduces knockback etc.
It is semantics. A lot of players seem to like to dissociate crouching knockback reduction from downward ASDI. Funny thing is, no one uses crouching knockback reduction in isolation, but downward ASDI is actually used in isolation. Downward ASDI is more crouch canceling than the knockback reduction.

When both are used at once, they allow instantaneous retaliation for an attack in exchange for a health loss. In just about every workable definition, that is a parry with a cost.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
It is semantics. A lot of players seem to like to dissociate crouching knockback reduction from downward ASDI. Funny thing is, no one uses crouching knockback reduction in isolation, but downward ASDI is actually used in isolation. Downward ASDI is more crouch canceling than the knockback reduction.

When both are used at once, they allow instantaneous retaliation for an attack in exchange for a health loss. In just about every workable definition, that is a parry with a cost.

Last edited:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Yea, when you can hit your opponent who is CCing and there is no counterplay for your good spacing/move selection then it really shouldn't be considered a parry at all.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
But it shares very little in common with being hit, by the same token. Getting hit usually means you're at a frame disadvantage. My point is that in terms of frame results, it's much, much closer to a parry. Especially since there are moves in other games that it's not really worthwhile to parry. (Why would you parry Ryu's fireball if you have a character who can forward jump dive kick it on reaction?) Usually, other games balance the risk/reward better than smash, but poor risk/reward balance doesn't make it not a parry.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
On Vixens:
It seems you got great knowledge of the falco matchup. You could go for Utilt after SideB connects. I loved your use of UpB oos.
Haha, and awesome shield drops and Fsmash punishes, got you lots of low % kills (which i find hard to do with Zss).

Vixen

Premium
I honestly think MexRay should have won the set. That last SD was supposed to be a reverse bair which would have poked my feel through the plat and gave him superior stage control. I still don't really know what to do about his laser approaches besides the occasional Nair OOS, or Up B OOS

There's no other falco main in my region, either. Axe plays a mean falco but he's like a 2 and a half hour drive north. ;_;

Last edited:

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
Is zss good in this version project M i havent played this version well, this week i will be though.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Zss is kinda butt in every version. She's easily the least butt in 3.x though
Am I the only one of feels that Brawl Zero Suit is better than PM Zero Suit? (Minus PM ZSS having an easier time killing). I've felt this way since 2.6 and playing Brawl the other week for the first time in a long time confirmed my suspicions.

I miss her moderately strong Uair that could actually kill off-top, I miss the dash attack combo'ing into Up-Tilt or DSmash, and I especially miss the sex kick spike.
Can someone explain to me why a character who had a meteor/spike got it REMOVED, but characters who DIDN'T got one added? (Sonic, for instance). I honestly think Zero Suit is pretty weak character, though I use her anyway.

Vixen

Premium
The armor pieces make her a great burst character. I prefer PM ZSS for being better overall. I could be wrong, though. That's just the feeling I get.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I think comparatively to the rest of the best characters in the game, ZSS is better in PM. She is good in both games, but relative to the cast PM feels better from a you can win a tournament solo with this character perspective.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I think comparatively to the rest of the best characters in the game, ZSS is better in PM. She is good in both games, but relative to the cast PM feels better from a you can win a tournament solo with this character perspective.
In that case of course, cause freakin' Metaknight >>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else lol while PM is of course much tighter balance-wise. But I guess I'm alone on this one.

I feel that if they restored her Uair and gave her her spike back then she'd be perfect. Another change I'd love to see is letting her cancel out of DownB with special moves without having wait for the flip animation to be over with, but I could live without that, it's just a cool idea.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Damn straight! Was cheering for you in UFGTX, those sets were fantastic! Congrats on 2nd place man, 10k+ watching some true high level ZSS play.

Vixen

Premium
In that case of course, cause freakin' Metaknight >>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else lol while PM is of course much tighter balance-wise. But I guess I'm alone on this one.

I feel that if they restored her Uair and gave her her spike back then she'd be perfect. Another change I'd love to see is letting her cancel out of DownB with special moves without having wait for the flip animation to be over with, but I could live without that, it's just a cool idea.
her uair in pm is great. i don't think it needs to be changed. she needs, more than anything, a way out of shield vs characters like fox/falco

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
UpB hits frame 6, so it's technically the 5th fastest grounded OOS option in the game behind GW upB, Bowser upB, Fox's shine, and Falco's shine. It just has a really tiny hitbox.

Last edited:

Charby

Smash Journeyman
her uair in pm is great. i don't think it needs to be changed. she needs, more than anything, a way out of shield vs characters like fox/falco
Did you try down b oos, could be good it has any invicibility startup frame

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
Finally have some games!
(Footage was not saved, apologies)
(just a warning the stream has no music and very quiet commentary)

winners finals
20:42 vs FishEatCorn (pit main)

grand finals
1:11:50 vs Willz (falcon main)

i am looking to step my game up quite hard, so extreme criticism would be extremely helpful ^-^

Last edited:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Some vids of me vs guys at the Smash Academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otd1Y1Ll5zk Me vs Sartron (local Metaknight/Lucas player)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVAAK2VrMM Me vs Colbol loser's finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46AjcnK3Iw Me vs Colbol winner's semi's at Smash Academy 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZQC9rEyek Me vs Wizzrobe Winner's finals at Smash Academy 2 (second match is basically a combo video lol. It also shows off some falling up Bs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubWJrYuzpk Me vs Colbol loser's finals at Smash Academy 2

Critiques are welcome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom