• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Video Discussion

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Idea shamelessly taken from Metroid.

Hey guys, post your ZSS videos here! This thread's main purpose will be for critiquing each other's videos. I'll update this thread as constantly as I can while keeping other's critiques here in the OP. Post away!

Players List
Oro?!
Lord
RingwormTheDestroyer
FoosJr
GMaster171
Jesseyo
VaNz
Vidjo
Axrz
Mizuki
Teh Slurpie
Purple-H
Daftatt
Phootbag
Shadocat

[collapse=Oro?!]
[collapse=General Videos Section]
www.youtube.com/windycitysmash
www.twitch.tv/windycitysmash/profile
[/collapse]
[collapse=January 26, 2013 KirkGo's Biweeklies]
WS Vs Metroid(Zard) 2-3 game 1 lost during internet drop : (
WF Vs Kirk(Bowser) 1-5 Starts at 24:40
LF Vs Metroid(Zard) 1-4 Starts at 43:00[/collapse]
[collapse=February 21, 2013 Sakurai Can't Save You Now 5]
Winners Round 2 Vs Metroid(Zard) 3 Record didn't start til game 3 : /
Losers Round 3 Vs Vro(Lucas) 1-2
MM Vs Strongbad(DK) 1-3
MM Vs Sethlon(Sonic) 1-4[/collapse]
[collapse=March 2, 2013 KirkGo's Pancake Kittens]
Winners Round 2 Vs MDZ(Falco) 1-2
Losers Round 2 Vs JPal(Link) 1-2
Losers Round 3 Vs Rat(Wolf/Sonic) 1-2
Losers Round 4 Vs Vro(Diddy Kong) 1-3[/collapse]
[collapse=March 26, 2013 Show Me your Moves 14]
WS Vs Orly(Fox) 1-5
WF Vs Dart(Marth) 1-5
LF Vs Strong Bad(DK/Fox) 1-5
GF Vs Dart(Marth) 1-5 [/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Lord]
January 2, 2013
Friendly Set- Vs Russel(Ike) 1-3
[/collapse]
[collapse=RingwormtheDestroyer]
January 14, 2013
[collapse=Friendlies Playlist Vs Mask]
Vs Falcon 1
Vs Falcon 2
Vs Falcon 3
Vs Marth
Vs Fox
Vs Lucas
Vs Zard 1
Vs Zard 2
Vs Zard 3
Oro?!'s Critique
Yeroc's Critique
Ph00tbag's Critique[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=FoosJr]
February 3, 2013
Round 1 Vs Nade(Lucas)1-2
[/collapse]
[collapse=GMaster171]
February 5, 2013
[collapse=Friendly Set Vs ShadowMaster47x]
Game 1 Vs ShadowMaster47x(Sonic)
Game 2 Vs ShadowMaster47x(Sonic)
Game 3 Vs ShadowMaster47x(Sonic)
Game 4 Vs ShadowMaster47x(Sonic)
Jesseyo's Critique[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Jesseyo]
January 16, 2013
[collapse=Friendlies Vs SSSAM]
Vs SSSAM(Peach)
Vs SSSAM(Ness)
Vs SSSAM(Lucas)
Vs SSSAM(Marth)[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=VaNz]
[collapse=February 28, 2013]
Vs Inspyred Phoenix (DK) 1
Vs Inspyred Phoenix (DK) 2
Vs Inspyred Phoenix (DK) 3[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Teh Slurpie]
[collapse=friendlies]
Vs FishEatCorn (Dorf/Lucas) [/collapse]
Edmas Melee/PM
4:18:30 vs Link
4:29:00 vs Jolteon
[/collapse]
[collapse=Vidjo]
[collapse=Gameclucks 11/2/13]
GFs Set 1 vs Silent Wolf
GFs Set 2 vs Silent Wolf
[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Axrz]
[collapse=Rock Me Amadeus 11/9/13]
Vs Flip (Lucario)
WSF vs Dope (DDD)
vs Ayo (Squirtle)
vs FzK (Lucas)
[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Vixen/Mizuki]
[collapse= Greg VII]
WS vs Silly Kyle (Peach)
vs Heysuess (DDD)
[/collapse]
[collapse=Penny For Your Johns 2]
GFs vs Jackie(Link/Ganon/Falco/Fox)
[/collapse]
[collapse=Friendlies]
vs Neon (Lucas)
[/collapse]
[collapse=The Good The Bad And The Gregly]
vs GG7 (Falcon)
vs Silly Kyle (Peach)

Upload some vids and be sure to critique : D

Last edited:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I just noticed that the links don't go to the direct time on the twitch links for some reason. The time stamps that the sets start at are in the link, however. Don't know how to fix it D :

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You play ZSS a lot like I do.

Right down to the constant self-destructing.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Lmao. It's a gift and a curse. A lot of it vs Bowser was literally not being able to do **** vs flame breath. I would input upB and fall.

This was my first ZSS tourney and basically day 2 lab work, so I definitely exceeded my expectations by beating Metroid in WS (so mad my comeback and game1 didn't get recorded) as well as beating Kels in winners round 2. There are definitely a lot of things I can imporove upon, but I really think this character forum needed videos of some kind.

Any critique aside from the obvious don't suicide would be appreciated! Also don't be afriad to post your videos everyone.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Any critique aside from the obvious don't suicide would be appreciated!
One thing I noticed against Metroid in particular was that you like to tech inward a lot, and Metroid got you a lot more often than necessary by just waiting and dsmashing. Sometimes, he just covered every option, but there were definitely times when you would have been better served mixing up your tech options a bit more.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
When I tech I go full random by spinning the cstick, so if it seemed like I was getting hit a lot then I should either think more about where to tech vs a massive Zard Dsmash specifically, or something along those lines haha.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Thanks Ringworm, I'm going to get around to hopefully critiquing these tomorrow. I think I have a pretty good grasp on all of the matchups you played besides Lucas, since it's just Melee characters and Zard

Might make a post about the things that Lord does as well if I can find the time.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
@R.W.D Okay I have a lot of input both in general and matchup specific. This is mostly opinion so if you have some reason you do the things you do or super secret tech, then by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

First off, I hate upsmash. Kill that move with fire. By the looks of it, you like the move a lot. In almost every situation that you used upsmash, there was no potential for follow up/reset/positional advantage. Imo there was a better option to take in every situation you used upsmash, including just letting your opponent tech. The one interesting thing that I've seen from this move is the last hitbox vs grounded opponents seems to set up decently, but it's way less consistent than any of ZSS's other setup options. Upsmash doesn't do much damage either, so in the end I JUST THINK IT SUCKS.

I really like the flow of your neutral game tbh. The flow between your zoning and your rushdown is pretty good. The one thing I can comment on is that you should force to set up more spacing or frame traps. That is basically all I do with ZSS lol. What I mean by that is that ZSS has a lot of long range disjointed hitboxes while still being quite fast. If you know how your opponent is going to attack, or you FORCE them to attack in a certain way through pressure/positional advantage, then you can stick a free blaster/sideB/DSmash on their landing or in their lag. I can understand why you don't abuse this as much as I like to though, since you seem to like to approach/rush down more than you like to zone. In that regard I have some advice as well. I feel like you take a lot of risky pressure options, that can be really really punishable depending on the matchup. Something I absolutely HATE is dair on shield. I get punished consistently and constantly for attempting it, unless I have a solid read of what my opponent wants to do oos (namely shield grab). Mask punished you occasionally for dairing, but it usually took him several Dairs for him to respond. Dair is super punishable, especially if you keep attempting to Dair. From just the matchups you played here are some of the options that he could've taken to hit you for free after the Dairs.

Falcon- Uair/wavedash oos
Marth-wavedash oos to anything, (fair might work since the hitbox starts above marths head or uair if its fast enough)
Zard- UpB oos, Nair, Uair, wavedash oos
Fox- wavedash oos, bair, nair

All of those options result in a trade at worst, and most of those characters will be glad to trade those moves and keep a floaty ZSS above them. Some things I think would help your rushdown/pressure game would be

1)Use jabs/tilts more after aerials safely if you think your opponent is going to press buttons
2)Try to bait out responses with pressure mixups and wait on certain things like roll/spotdodge/shield grab and punish!

A move that I wish you would use more, and perhaps in place of upsmash entirely would be uptilt. That move is incredible. It has fast start up, good priority (beat out spacie dairs when timed right), and combos!!!!

Edgeguarding- I feel like this could be your weakest point of ZSS. You like to stay safely on stage and sometimes over complicate things a lot. To start off, never try to edgeguard with blaster or dsmash if you used one of them to set up the combo that knocked your opponent off stage. It will not stun them and they will have a free recovery. The only time you ventured off stage was when you were dropzoning. There is a lot of potential off stage for ZSS between her tether being used to snuff recovery, as well as being able to go pretty far out with nair/bair and still recover. Here are some specific ideas that could help you develop your edgeguard game a little.

Vs Falcon- if you did not stun Falcon and he is forced to go to the ledge, he should be dead. Your Dsmash can catch both upb and sideB and you get a free Bair/Fsmash/whatever depending on where he gets hit. If he cannot be stunned, it is still really easy to shut down Falcon. You can either just hold the ledge and react to what option he takes, and nair/bair/roll accordingly, or use your tether to time your ledge grab and pull yourself up at the right time before reacting. Falcon's upB can grab you now unlike melee if you have no ledge invincibility, and his SideB is viable. This doesn't solve his fundamental flaws of his recovery, and you should be able to kill Falcon 100% if he has to recover low. If he is recovering high, just follow him, be sure to watch out for him DIing backwards towards the ledge and just Bair him at the peak of his upB if you can.

In general, I think you just need to grab the edge more and punish the flaws of your opponents recovery.

I think your combo game could be a little more solid, but I like the base that you are building off of.

ZSS's shield game in general is pretty weak, and I feel like it affects you a lot. Her "best" options out of shield are most likely WD or roll. Uair/Nair/Bair can be used effectively if your opponents are within those ranges, but she doesn't have a solid GTFO move like peach nair/sheik nair/spacie nair,shine,anything they want. Due to her limits within shield, and not having a fast startup, long lasting hitbox, I feel like she is similar to Falcon where shield should be used sparingly or in a more intelligent manner. I'm not sure if her upsmash has the same startup as Brawl, but if it does, then it is most likely her fastest option oos (THIS MIGHT BE THE BEST/only viable USMASH OPTION SHE HAS!!!!). Another thing I'm really curious about is jumping and doing an instant downB oos, and using it's startup invincibility?/high mobility to escape.

I'm bringing up all of that shield info because I felt your shield game really hurt you. There were definitely times where you rolled or did corresponding aerials very well, but doing incorrect aerials oos, and using the dreaded shield grab of a tether character should've definitely gotten you punished a lot more than it did.

The last thing in particular I wanted to cover was tech chasing. I do not think you fully employ ZSS's tech chasing strengths. I love Dtilt as an option to cover missed tech/tech in place, but I feel it should be more of an option select than an endgame goal. You can use a dtilt to cover that option, and use IASA to react to tech rolls if need be. If you have a solid read on what tech option your opponent will take, I feel Dsmash or SideB are better in every scenario (except when missed tech makes your dsmash bug out and not be able to combo people :( ) You used basically just dtilt and dash attack when tech chasing. Dash attack is a decent move, but I feel it shines as a combo ender, or to knock people off stage if they tech by a ledge or something. It is very easy to use dash attack as the second option to cover tech rolls after you attempt to cover in place with Dtilt. To summarize, if you cover in place with dtilt, you can then react to either tech option with dash attack. I believe this works on the majority if not the entire cast since I'm positive it works on some better tech rolls like Marth! Basically I think you need to expand your tech chasing playbook and experiment with grabs/sideb/dsmash/option selects.

That's all I can really think of right now, but I hope some of this helped in some way. ^_^

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
One thing that really stood out to me was you seemed like you were just throwing moves out at times, hoping they would hit, when your opponent wasn't anywhere near the space you were threatening. Learn to slow down a little and take stock of what's going on around you, and try to actually react to what's going on around you instead of just guessing so much. It will feel weird at first, and will probably cost you matches, but if you can learn how to read your opponents' movements then you will be able to eventually learn how to predict them better.

Also, learning how to actually attack space effectively is important. You can zone, but do so with a mind towards what the various options are in the situation; both yours and your opponents. Stage control is a very important part of ZSS's gameplay: it gives her a means to pressure her opponents, which means they aren't pressuring her. It allows you to keep your enemies' options limited and also give you more ways to get out of them suddenly turning the tables on you. You have the mobility to outmaneuver at least 90% of the cast. Use it to keep control of the flow of the game, and also where and how you engage your opponent.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Yeroc can you enlighten me about ZSS downB? I'm not sure if it has similar properties to Brawl in regards to invincibility?

Also I agree with what Yeroc said.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
8 frames intangibility, 4 during the immobile startup, then 4 after you start moving. (I've said 9 in the past and it turns out I was miscounting somewhere).

Starting frame 15, you can attack with both Dive kick and Flipstool

Frame 20 you can jump out of the Flip Jump.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
R.W.D.: You, like, never use uncharged paralyzer. This has the effect of always telegraphing to your opponent when you're going to be vulnerable, because they know the moment they see you go for a paralyzer that you're going to choose to be stuck in the charging animation for a set amount of time. Mask actually punishes you several times for overusing this option. You definitely should mix up a bit more, just because of the added mobility the uncharged paralyzer gives while still sufficiently threatening certain areas.

I would also like to make a counterpoint to Oro's observations about usmash. I think usmash has a distinct, but somewhat limited utility as more reliable for starting and maintaining combos at low percents against fast fallers. This is because unlike uair, it tumbles at low percent, and unlike utilt and uthrow, it has enough knockback, and low enough cooldown. to open up easy combos/tech chases at low percents. However, I will say that you tend to overuse usmash at percents over around 40-50%, which is the range uair becomes all around better. You'll need to become more aware of your opponent's percentage, so that you can make better informed decisions about move selection.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I saw that on stream and was wondering if it was tournament! I will give it a rewatch and see if I can give some input.

Edit: Was that Lucas new to pm/melee?Its pretty hard to tell someone what they do is wrong when everything they do works and with great success. You clearly have a pretty good understanding of zss's general game plan and have a strong developed personal style. If you have any matches vs stronger opponents it would be a lot easier to give you personalized input.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Got some videos of my WIP Zamus, any critique possible would be appreciated (other than saying don't SD... I can kinda figure that out). This was a set of 5, but I don't have the final video, I'll upload and add it to this post when I can. I think I got the basics down, but if there is anything fundamental I should know, I'd like to know :D.
All of them are GMaster171(Zamus) vs ShadowMaster47x(Sonic)
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I saw that on stream and was wondering if it was tournament! I will give it a rewatch and see if I can give some input.

Edit: Was that Lucas new to pm/melee?Its pretty hard to tell someone what they do is wrong when everything they do works and with great success. You clearly have a pretty good understanding of zss's general game plan and have a strong developed personal style. If you have any matches vs stronger opponents it would be a lot easier to give you personalized input.
Not any that were recorded :/ I'll try to get some more up probably next month.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Got some videos of my WIP Zamus, any critique possible would be appreciated (other than saying don't SD... I can kinda figure that out). This was a set of 5, but I don't have the final video, I'll upload and add it to this post when I can. I think I got the basics down, but if there is anything fundamental I should know, I'd like to know :D.
All of them are GMaster171(Zamus) vs ShadowMaster47x(Sonic)
You should work on your recovery. Down-B angled is a god send. It's generally safer to come in low with the Up-B and it has a huge range but with Sonic's spring, you'll just have to get creative. It's not hard.

Side-B to back air is a sweet combo at 80+ percent. I used to use her up air for kills in alpha a lot but they have since nerfed it. Back air is definitely a better option.

Down air is also a great combo starter, but has a weird timing to it. It's safe on shields too, so just get be ready to down air, air dodge to waveland and grab/jab/Down smash, or something. It's also fun when you do it under platforms since you can get away or wavedash off the side then hit a different aerial.

Ledge hop forward air is great too

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I updated the OP with all of the current videos and critique. I will get around to watching your videos Jesseyo and GMaster and I hope I can contribute some critique to you guys.

Keep the videos and comments coming everyone. : D

Jesseyo I think you got another thing coming if you think Dair is safe on shields. It's punishable by a lot of characters even if there is a platform to waveland onto. D :

Oro?!

Smash Hero
@Gmaster, I think you need to work on your neutral game a bit. Your movements seem a bit slow and predictable. I know vs Sonic he can threaten from across the stage at any time, but moving more would make it more difficult at least for him to land solid hits. You whiff a lot in neutral because of how slow your movement and attack patterns are. What I mean by this is you never really dash dance or use wavedash in collaboration with it. You also full hop aerial, without even fast falling, A LOT. Veteran players would definitely rip you apart for these types of habits, so it's definitely something you should put effort into. All of this is more of a global player work that needs to be done rather than ZSS.

You should also work on your combo game a little bit. There were a lot of situations where you had free "insert x aerial here", but instead tried to either use UpB, wait for a tech, or use another move that wouldn't work mid combo like dsmash/sideB. The main purpose of UpB is to force a reset. Your opponent is forced to tech or eat a mixup if they meteor cancel. If you cannot get maximum punishes off, then there is no point of really resetting and nothing for your opponent to fear from them. I'm pretty sure your biggest combo string was like 3 hits.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Yea, that's something you'll see in all of my matches, and its something that I don't consciously realize I'm doing during the match itself. Looking back I critiqued myself with a lot of the same points lol. I'll try to be more conscious of what I am doing, but I think it might be an experience problem more than anything (I only got into P:M around January). I tell myself and my friend that we know what we can do, we just aren't able to do it in the moment.

any recommendations on strengthening the mental aspect? Or is that something I have to get through matches. There isn't much of a P:M (or Melee for that matter) scene around me, so I only really get to battle this one guy on a regular basis.

and about the combos, this is something I really need to work on, especially since I play Wolf (who is forced to be aggro and do "go for it" combos just to live), but I'm stuck with my defensive play style I learned with Ness. I realize where I'm going wrong, but again practice will make it better.

Thanks for the critique :)

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Put a concious effort into absolutely doing something when you are playing. Focus on that one aspect whether it's to make your movement more consistent, to approach/wall/zone/space or what have you more effectively, or only using short hops even though there are situations where full hops/double jumps are very good. If you get punished for trying things then that will help the learning process. If you never attempt to do better things, then there is no chance to actively improve on something.

As far as mental game goes. It comes down to focus and concentration a lot imo. Put forth physical effort into attempting these things. When everything basic becomes second nature, thats when you use that effort to judge your opponents movements/decisions to act accordingly.

Against floaty opponents as ZSS, try stringing a lot of uair/nairs together on floaty opponents since they can combo regardless of DI sometimes.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Jesseyo I think you got another thing coming if you think Dair is safe on shields. It's punishable by a lot of characters even if there is a platform to waveland onto. D :
A lot of characters can punish it, but that doesn't mean it's any less safe when comparing it to any other aerial. The pop up alone makes it a great shield stab and mix up from anything else. I'm not saying use it for pressure or try to chain them in to oblivion; it's just a safer option than any of her other aerials, really.

I'll try to get some footage against better players (not that SSSAM is bad)

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Well yeah but when I space a nair/bair/fair on a shield, I know that I can make it safe, or safe enough that I can not get hit as a result of the aerial. I think Dair is great esp for mixup potential, but I worry about spamming it and it's so far removed from my ZSS playstyle that it becomes my least used move.

TL;DR I play too passive atm D :

I'm gonna watch your videos right now while I'm eating dinner as well. : )

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Jesseyo I just have a few small critiques based on those sets. If you have already worked on some of your weaker aspects and gotten better since these then I would love to see them. : )

I think you need to blaster more in neutral, both charged and uncharged and dash cancel forwards. It definitely is not an amazing move but it forces your opponents to make a decision whether that is to block/powershield or avoid it. due to these things it can create 50/50 options on block by mixing up aerials, spaced tilts, dsmash, or side b, as well as grab. zss has really good ground to air moves, so forcing opponents into the air is very favorable.

You use dtilt very liberally and it is a very good move, but i think you should replace some of them with utilt at low-mid %s. Utilt starts comboing faster due to its higher bkb and damage.

Lastly I think you dash attack too much as an approach. There aren't many follow ups and its highly punishable. You also shield grab a lot in these videos.

Hope some of this helped. ^_^

:phone:

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
I think you need to blaster more in neutral, both charged and uncharged and dash cancel forwards. It definitely is not an amazing move but it forces your opponents to make a decision whether that is to block/powershield or avoid it. due to these things it can create 50/50 options on block by mixing up aerials, spaced tilts, dsmash, or side b, as well as grab. zss has really good ground to air moves, so forcing opponents into the air is very favorable.
I've definitely implimented that in to my game as of late. It is super good but easy to read. It's very obvious what you're trying to do and usually people can just run from the shot then react to where you're at on the stage. If they don't have room, most characters can jump high enough to get around it (until you catch them with up b's).

You use dtilt very liberally and it is a very good move, but i think you should replace some of them with utilt at low-mid %s. Utilt starts comboing faster due to its higher bkb and damage.
The only problem right now, is that I play mostly with SSSAM and I've been playing with him for almost 9 years. We know each other inside and out so I have to change it up. Whether is be spamming something or just playing super spacing bros (which is just silly in friendlies). Either way, up tilt is baller; I just don't think about it when they're in front of me. Good looks.

Lastly I think you dash attack too much as an approach. There aren't many follow ups and its highly punishable. You also shield grab a lot in these videos.
Dash attack is trying to be sneaky and catch him off guard. I need to attack through the shield or space it better for sure. Shield grab is a bad habit. I'm working on it. Trying to get down JC up tilt or up smash as a better alternative.

Thanks a lot! I'll critique some of your work when work slows down. Also, you should put the timings of your matches to help out. I really don't feel like scrolling through hours of matches to find yours, hah

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I figured you worked most of the stuff out considering you said it was all really old. I will put the time stamps in for those twitch VODs as well. I hate how adding time stamps to the url doesn't skip to times. I have a couple of videos to add so I will update this thread later tonight.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Wow didn't realize there were so many similar playstyles. Seems like Zamus' metagame isn't very diverse atm.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I'm going to link several sets from SCSYN. Please tell me why I'm terrible so I never let ZSS down again.

Editted 4 things into the OP for February 21. Please critique if you have any input.

I hate the new BB code : /

Top Bottom