• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
How many people here use tap jump? I feel like that would help me string UAirs if I had it onon. Couple ZSS mains mentioned that they turn on tap jump when they use her.
I think it's a hindrance and only comes down to preference. Doing proper uAir strings with z jump isn't hard.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Z jump?

And yeah I'm hesitant to turn it on because I prefer to do UAirs with inputs instead of C-Stick but if it would help better in the long run I'll make the switch.
I have jump on z (GC controller) because it leaves your thumb free for c stick action

Peahnuts

Smash Cadet
Yeah I got to the conclusion that I was just being too obvious with it. Sometimes I maybe started it too far below him too. Well atleast now I kinda figured out when/how to use it. Also getting the DThrow -> UpAir consistently.

Another quick question, is DThrow -> UpB a true combo at some percents / on some characters ?
At some percents if they DI in yes it does true combo. Not too many people go for it though since it's a huge risk and leaves you very open if whiffed. Also I generally find people don't DI into zss around kill percent haha.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
So I've been thinking about PP dSmash and foxtrot turnaround dSmash lately and came to the conclusion that it would be way easier to execute with c-stick set to smash. Now I don't want to lose my precious tilts. turnaround tilts, buffer dash attacks and better aerial mobility.
What do you guys prefer? How do you do the whole dSmash stuff?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I have my C-stick set to smash, and I don't use foxtrot turnaround dSmash, or PPs (at all).
You can buffer dash attacks with C-stick down, just not when dashing backwards

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I don't think gaining PP Dsmash is worth losing all the other benefits of C-stick set to attack

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
I don't think gaining PP Dsmash is worth losing all the other benefits of C-stick set to attack
As I'm stuck with the 3DS version for the time being, it's simply infuriating to lose momentum by mistakenly imputing f-smashes instead of f-tilts, which frequently gets me punished.

Say if I were to switch to a Gamecube controller - would it be wise for me to set my c-stick for tilts or smash attacks as a ZSS main?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Has anyone thought of a comfortable hand set up + general usages of forward air out of shield?
I've been going through "lazy" or "compensation" habits lately and to some extent aerials out of shield is something I almost don't do at all on ZSS at this stage.
Probably because avoiding zairing is a little awkward.

Peahnuts

Smash Cadet
Not a solution but I also thought I'd mention that aerials OOS don't seem to be a thing for me with ZSS either. Wonder what the reason for this is, and if it's just a personal thing. Would be cool to hear opinions.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you're lightly holding the shield button still, you'll zair every time, you have to let go before you buffer an aerial during your jump.

I find it easier to up air out of shield than fair oos :<

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
If you're lightly holding the shield button still, you'll zair every time, you have to let go before you buffer an aerial during your jump.

I find it easier to up air out of shield than fair oos :<
Now that you say it, I don't use many aerials OOS either. nAir, sometimes bAir, but it's not like I buffer them.
Which button do you use to shield?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Both is the shortest I can say it. I adjust hand positions for varying timings/things, I think in this situation I'd probably be holding right more often.

I've been practicing up air out of shield as it hits human height characters and is basically busted/a free stock.
I think (but not necessarily implement well yet), air dodge out of shield is really really smart and potentially optimal in the future.
You can fair oos and hit tall characters with the first hit but it won't likely combo into the second, but it does function as our fastest/longest range anti-air OoS. Hence I need it to be comfortable so I can use it as such.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
How are you guys feeling about Dreamland for ZSS? Should it be used as another Battlefield?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
yep, basically another BF but slightly better since lower ceiling and higher platforms. the addition of DL instead of Lylat to starter lists was a huge indirect buff to ZSS imo

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
How are you guys feeling about Dreamland for ZSS? Should it be used as another Battlefield?
It's better than BF. Lower ceiling, higher platforms, more space to navigate and dSpecial kicks that are actually easily hittable near the ledge.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Do you use tap jump Shaya? If so, I made a video of a really easy way to buffer all SH aerials. Works great for SH Fairs OoS, I do them quite often using this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnTF4GQQDA
You newb I was teasing you about this video on twitter :p
And how is the part where I've got a wonky finger too close to the shield button (that only needs light tap to register) popping me zairs to do with double stick inputs (which is what I do as I have tap jump on~)

yep, basically another BF but slightly better since lower ceiling and higher platforms. the addition of DL instead of Lylat to starter lists was a huge indirect buff to ZSS imo
Lylat is a really good ZSS stage though. Although maybe at this point of time to those who haven't practiced on it much DL breaking into starters (I hate it so much) will be better for them.

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
You newb I was teasing you about this video on twitter :p
And how is the part where I've got a wonky finger too close to the shield button (that only needs light tap to register) popping me zairs to do with double stick inputs (which is what I do as I have tap jump on~)
I feel so dumb right now on so many levels, hahaha

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks Shaya :)

I'll definitely try to be more involved around here

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
The perfect pivot down smash stuff is interesting... I've been trying to use more down smash. Anyone know if the A+B to smash thing helps any? Or is the smash c-stick required to PP down smash?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
The perfect pivot down smash stuff is interesting... I've been trying to use more down smash. Anyone know if the A+B to smash thing helps any? Or is the smash c-stick required to PP down smash?
It doesn't really help since you still need your left stick down. c stick makes it way easier but I really don't want to lose my tilts.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
so they removed the same input with smash c-stick giving you tilts but added it to tilt stick!? (or it was already there...)

What in the world is the point of anything not tilt stick then.... I guess pivot/dash fsmashes would be harder.... and I've just started implementing that into my game, ughhhhh. Maybe it'll be fine.

I'm going to have to give it a shot next time I play... I may finally have to end my reign of "never needing to set up controls".

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
so they removed the same input with smash c-stick giving you tilts but added it to tilt stick!? (or it was already there...)

What in the world is the point of anything not tilt stick then.... I guess pivot/dash fsmashes would be harder.... and I've just started implementing that into my game, ughhhhh. Maybe it'll be fine.

I'm going to have to give it a shot next time I play... I may finally have to end my reign of "never needing to set up controls".
Tell me when/if you get PP dSmash to work properly without a smash c stick. Because I can't, at least not FAST.

Vermillion

Smash Rookie
Sooo... Anyone noticing a difference since the balance patch ? Sorry is there already a discussion about this going on somewhere.

jset818

Smash Cadet
What is ZSS's worst matchup besides Shiek? Also, I main Rosalina and I have a hard time trying to Uair ZSS when she's in the air, normally she would just flipkick (side B?) away, how do I punish her for that? I know if she does her flipkick and then it hits my shield, I can easily punish but can I still punish her if she doesn't do the kick? Is she in free fall? Can she perform other attacks?

P.S. I don't own a WiiU

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
What is ZSS's worst matchup besides Shriek? Also, I main Rosalina and I have a hard time trying to Uair ZSS when she's in the air, normally she would just flipkick (side B?) away, how do I punish her for that? I know if she does her flipkick and then it hits my shield, I can easily punish but can I still punish her if she doesn't do the kick? Is she in free fall? Can she perform other attacks?

P.S. I don't own a WiiU
I'd say Pikachu. A lot of stuff misses, even grabbing his landings can miss because he is so goddamn small. I don't think it's too bad though and neither is Sheik. I actually believe Pikachu is worse than Sheik.

boneflesh

Smash Cadet
hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so i don't know if this should be here.

anyway, i grab / paralyzer a lot in the neutral and often get punished for it and become predictable. are there any options i could use instead?

hiROI

Smash Lord
hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so i don't know if this should be here.

anyway, i grab / paralyzer a lot in the neutral and often get punished for it and become predictable. are there any options i could use instead?
Mix up with short hop nair and zair

boneflesh

Smash Cadet
Mix up with short hop nair and zair
i've been trying out nair, and it's great as it can combo into dtilt, dash attacks and fairs, but i don't really get the use of zair. is it used as just a poke or a combo tool?

Top Bottom