• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
The uAir > uAir > uSpecial combo starts to work on 35% on most of the cast and stops around 45% so the window is pretty tight.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
She seems like a lot of fun. I want to try ZSS for several reasons:

-In protest to Nintendo not announcing a new Metroid game, as well as my love for the series.
-Fun, unique play style
-Effective in tournaments, yet I have played VERY few

Though I didn't make it to Nairo in pools at CEO, I'm thinking learning her would give me a better chance at beating him in a future tournament if we do meet. I've also been using suit Samus lately.

Thouvexed

Smash Rookie
NNID
VexCain
Quick question, is ZSS's back throw ever good in any situation for leading into her DownB? Off of bad DI, a DI mixup, a reactionary string, etc. etc.
Thanks!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Back Throw is a good throw in general, we all rely on Dthrow 100% of the time while back throw leads into dash actions and aerials and all sorts of jazz for quite a while.

If you react to their DI properly on back throw, down special is usually the right thing to do. The true combo part works for a lot of DI, while rising (jumping) flip jump covers other forms of DI in a non-guaranteed way that will get you a kick if they air dodge.

Forward throw acts much the same way but isn't guaranteed ever.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Quick question, is ZSS's back throw ever good in any situation for leading into her DownB? Off of bad DI, a DI mixup, a reactionary string, etc. etc.
Thanks!
I call it the clutch throw because of bThrow > Sex Kick. It's a SURPRIIIIISE you really can't pull often since it's easily DIable but a true combo without DI (at roughly 45%).

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Uhh we actually had lije 2 of those IIRC @ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever made one and @hiROI
posted one from the reddit?

Zzzz *sigh* I'm still as useless as ever xD,
Also Tobi's has videos with the confirmed %s

Last edited:

Honor

Smash Apprentice
I have a hard time hitting with SH Zair. I thnk the problem is I fast fall too soon and I land before the tether reaches its max range. AT what point in the SH should I hit Z and when should I fast fall?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I have a hard time hitting with SH Zair. I thnk the problem is I fast fall too soon and I land before the tether reaches its max range. AT what point in the SH should I hit Z and when should I fast fall?
You can't FF zAir at all. your stating point for zAir is entirely based on the distance to your opponent.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Are there any good Combo Videos of ZSS up here?

I'm thinking of maining her

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Thanks much! One of the few moves I hardly ever use and there's no good reason for it.
On the contrary Zair is very good for giving you that extra distance over the Nair, It is a good poking tool, just Nair is better to use because it has follow ups.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Does anyone know for sure how to make the Down-B kick spike?
Hit with the flames coming out of her boots

@ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever actually you can FF zair if your a troll and you jump backwards over someone so you hit them when they drop shield to hit/grab you , or troll by doing that and jabbing or grabbing yourself...
xD

On the contrary Zair is very good for giving you that extra distance over the Nair, It is a good poking tool, just Nair is better to use because it has follow ups.
By better followups you mean nair = death at low % s right? XD

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Hit with the flames coming out of her boots

@ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever actually you can FF zair if your a troll and you jump backwards over someone so you hit them when they drop shield to hit/grab you , or troll by doing that and jabbing or grabbing yourself...
xD

By better followups you mean nair = death at low % s right? XD
Yeah nair > grab nair > fair nair > uair
and grab can mean death for someone like Samus

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Do you mean because of the fast fall break where inputting an attack after fast falling returns your fall speed to normal?
No, because you literally can't FF zAir.
Try it, jump as high as you can and hammer down while performing a zAir. You won't FF.

Take 5

Smash Apprentice
I've seen them. Your great with :4zss:and you are my inspiration for maining Zero Suit Samus. Your really good!
Thanks! I'm probably average compared to the regulars here, but I do enjoy demonstrating some of the stylish things ZSS can do in Sm4sh. Once you get done with my vids you should watch some of the high caliber tournament players and study their techniques to take your game to the next level. :)

Zedreamcast

Smash Rookie
So I kewp watching samus combo videos and I keep seeing a combo with down throw> jump uair> u air> up b I cant seem to figure out how to do this since my first up air recovery doesnt let me cancel quick enough.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
So I kewp watching samus combo videos and I keep seeing a combo with down throw> jump uair> u air> up b I cant seem to figure out how to do this since my first up air recovery doesnt let me cancel quick enough.
Take it slow. Go to training, pick Sheik as opponent, set the percentages to 38% and go for it until it shows up as true combo.
It's not had once you get it right and you'll figure out the rest from there.
Remember that if you buffer jump + uAir after the first uAir, you will only get the uAir, not the jump. You need to wait for the first uAir to finish. The timing can be a bit tricky at first but you'll figure it out.
And just to make sure, it's dThrow > jump > uAir > jump > uAir > uSpecial.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
What are our guaranteed OoS punishes against Sheik fair pressure? I know upB works if the Sheik doesn't space right, does jab/utilt OoS work? Do we have to powershield?

If they fair-->jab, can we roll in between?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
auto canceled fairs we can probably only power shield jab. Everything else, including a roll, could possibly be hit out of.
Up-B can punish even well spaced fairs given various positions/timing, but good luck doing forward angled up-b out of shield reliably.

Standard optimal ff fair jab will clash with oos jab (and likely win because after clash 1 frame > 2), and your up tilt will outrange/prioritize her jab but will not come out before shield in most situations and hence is death.

Last edited:

Peahnuts

Smash Cadet
What are our guaranteed OoS punishes against Sheik fair pressure? I know upB works if the Sheik doesn't space right, does jab/utilt OoS work? Do we have to powershield?

If they fair-->jab, can we roll in between?
NickRiddle has this video from back in January which I found interesting against Sheik. Not sure how accurate/relevant it is today but it's worth a look and seems pretty good imo.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
That video was actually amazingly helpful. ie because I can shieldgrab ftilt and the spotdodge grab to punish BF
V I swear to god I literally told you that and probably mentioned NickRiddle' s video lol.

Funny story I also told some people in our scene that and they called bs on me I have the video on my phone but didn't bother wasting my battery to show the non believers xD.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I can imagine V being the WORSTest friend/senpai in the world. :3
Well I actually lose to him in smash all the time, however i took a set off him irl (sorry if the following nonsense offends anyone),

We were in his friends car driving and apparently this person had sent me a picture on my phone which I opened without knowing , I tried to inconspicuously change the screen quick like a ninja. Obviously he got the hard read and was like
"Bro I saw that why you got ******* on yo phone?"

I meekly , then courageously responded "why don't you have ******* on your phone?" .

V was then like "aight true".

I never took another set off him irl. That was still funny as hell though to me at least. XD.

Jokes aside though he tries to look out for his unofficial understudy when ever we are both at tournies he will sometimes come over after a fraudulent g1 and tell me that I am letting them do X or Y to much.

I've learned a decent amount from him but it's high time I learn to fend for myself or I won't be surpassing him anytime soon T.T

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
V I swear to god I literally told you that and probably mentioned NickRiddle' s video lol.

Funny story I also told some people in our scene that and they called bs on me o have the video on my phone but didn't bother wasting my battery to show the non believers xD.
You may have mentioned NR's video but all I remember you telling me is that I can upB OoS any of Sheik's aerials

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
You may have mentioned NR's video but all I remember you telling me is that I can upB OoS any of Sheik's aerials

OH oh oh what's this Senpai noticed me , however poor sentence structure and not actually using visual references has made the encounter null and void.

XD.

iNSANE

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNSANEwOw
What do I do against opponents that spam airdodge ? Against some I cant even get the DThrow -> upair combo going. Is my timing bad or can some characters escape the combo by instantly airdodging ? Also how am I ever supposed to hit with up-B when they always airdodge it ? The animation is so slow that they can just react to it in time.

And my second question is how should I play against projectile spamming characters like Duckhunt ? I seem to have a hard time approaching them.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
What do I do against opponents that spam airdodge ? Against some I cant even get the DThrow -> upair combo going. Is my timing bad or can some characters escape the combo by instantly airdodging ? Also how am I ever supposed to hit with up-B when they always airdodge it ? The animation is so slow that they can just react to it in time.

And my second question is how should I play against projectile spamming characters like Duckhunt ? I seem to have a hard time approaching them.
It gets hard to hit at high percentages, but as long as you don't have huge rage and the opponent is below kill percentage you really should have an easy time hitting the uAir.
If you can't get the dThrow > uAir > uAir > uSpecial combo at the right percantages you're simply too slow.
Also uSpecial is pretty damn fast lol.

iNSANE

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNSANEwOw
Uspecial is frame 3-4. That's about as fast as it gets lol.
Yeah I got to the conclusion that I was just being too obvious with it. Sometimes I maybe started it too far below him too. Well atleast now I kinda figured out when/how to use it. Also getting the DThrow -> UpAir consistently.

Another quick question, is DThrow -> UpB a true combo at some percents / on some characters ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom