• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I read your post, and I get that Usmash Oos shield punishes sheik's options from the air. It doesn't punish any of her grounded options though does it? Just wondering. Also, is Usmash out of shield something that's used in only a few matches like the sheik one, or is it used for a majority of them? I haven't seen it used a lot so I guess it's just underutilized.And your post was pretty hilarious haha
It punishes her options basically anywhere. The fastest hitbox on usmash is right in front of her actually.

You can try ground pressure frmo the back of the shield but I think most of the time you'd just get up tilted.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I read your post, and I get that Usmash Oos shield punishes sheik's options from the air. It doesn't punish any of her grounded options though does it? Just wondering. Also, is Usmash out of shield something that's used in only a few matches like the sheik one, or is it used for a majority of them? I haven't seen it used a lot so I guess it's just underutilized.And your post was pretty hilarious haha
it does punish her ground options...if she jabs then we up smash, she down smashes or up smashes then we can up smash. Play with it

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Still not seeing the infinite part if it's only to 90 >_>

I knew about the Dsmash chain, but I thought it was something new like being able to fly through stages lol

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
MU is fairly even. TKD thinks it's +1 our favour, Dakpo and SFP think it's +1 Fox's favour, the MU chart says it's 0.

Bair is not gonna kill at 100. SideB probably, maybe charged fsmash sweetspot.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I say it's +1 Fox's favor, however its probably worth noting that I've never lost to a Fox player in friendlies or tournament, it just feels so ugly all game :\

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Is there any video tutorial on how to use Zamus' advanced moves? I've been learning some but I'm not of all sure of I'm doing things right. Is there any video about pivot roll, boost jumping or Aerial buffering?

:phone:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Buffering aerials is the same as buffering any other move, you don't need a video for that.
Boost jumping is just jumping and using upB during your jump to get a vertical boost, you don't need a video for that.

Pivot rolling is just turning around before you roll. So let's say you're facing right and you want to roll left. Rather than back rolling (which is a terrible roll for ZSS and forward roll is better in every way possible lol), you turn around (so now you're facing left) and then you do a forward roll.
You shouldn't need a video for that.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Hey, how do you guys start as zss at the beginning of the match? I have just been mashing the taunt at the start but I keep getting punished :/

WayV

Smash Rookie
Dakpo to start as ZSS without doing the taunt thing which I have never done, hold your grab button and scrolll over to Samus' portrait. Press start or ready to brawl while still holding down the grab button. When you get to the stage selection you should see a little picture of ZSS with her yellow ponytail. You can let go off the grab button after you see the ponytail and ZSS in her blue outfit in the top left. Pick the stage you desire to play on and you should have ZSS break out of her suit at the beginning of the match with three pieces beside her. I hope this helps you if your still having this issue .

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Dakpo to start as ZSS without doing the taunt thing which I have never done, hold your grab button and scrolll over to Samus' portrait. Press start or ready to brawl while still holding down the grab button. When you get to the stage selection you should see a little picture of ZSS with her yellow ponytail. You can let go off the grab button after you see the ponytail and ZSS in her blue outfit in the top left. Pick the stage you desire to play on and you should have ZSS break out of her suit at the beginning of the match with three pieces beside her. I hope this helps you if your still having this issue .
but there is no grab button on the wii mote :(

Louis

Smash Rookie
it does punish her ground options...if she jabs then we up smash, she down smashes or up smashes then we can up smash. Play with it
I've been playing with Usmash Oos for a little while now in the sheik matchup and haven't been having too much success. I have been able to punish her aerial attacks that hit my shield, but I haven't been able to do the same for her ground options. Well spaced f-tilts outrange the initial hitbox of Usmash, and I'm having trouble punishing jabs. I don't think our Up smash can punish a well placed jab, but I could be wrong. So what should I do? Jab works I know, but so far that's all I can do up close for pressure. I use well spaced dtilts so I don't get shield grabbed; I use jabs and I also use lots of forward roll. Any more advice for the sheik matchup?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If you're trying to punish spaced jabs from Sheik, you're probably gonna have to use uair/dtilt/dash attack OoS.

And maybe a few grabs every now and then.

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes just getting away from Sheik with a roll shouldn't hurt you, if you don't do it too much (there will be situations Zss can't punish anything or it may be very difficult).
Zss is still a character who has trouble on shield. We should avoid, that she gets pressured in her shield.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
ZSS' OOS options are limited, but not bad. She doesn't have any all-encompassing OOS option like MK nair, but usmash, utilt, and jab1 can often do the job.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Jab1 has pretty good range dude. You can space it on DK's shield and he can't even grab you for it.
I don't even think Falco can shieldgrab it lol.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
What do you guys do against Marth? I'm training my friend who's going to a tourney in Ohio, so I wanna learn some stuff to maximize practice potential. Al in all, I haven't learned much on my own other than dash attack to cover his landings, which worked surprisingly well.

I looked in the mu thread, but it was just a huge argument between a Marth and ZSS, and Iunno, I'd prefer a short, structured list that says, "Do this, this, this. Don't do this, this, this. Avoid this, this, this from the Marth."

Also hi Xonar, you're cute. <3

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Neutral B is good at hindering Marth's approaches.
If he spaced DB poorly you can DI it out and you'll avoid the 4th hit, and when it whiffs you can walk up and dsmash/dtilt.
PS-->utilt/sh uair. They are good.
Don't airdodge into him at the edge, he'll dtilt and stuff.
Pressure offstage with lasers and fair.
Take him to FD/PS1.
Don't charge dsmash from neutral position, he'll sh over and tipper nair/fair you EASILY.
If he ever jumps but you know he's going to land away from you, try to punish his landing with sideB.
Dash attack isn't safe on hit below ~20 (from ~25 onwards dash attack --> utilt true combos, from ~40 onwards, all tilts and dash attack true combo out of dash attack...so below 25 if you dash attack him, shield cause he might upB)
Dakpo likes usmash OoS in this MU, and he's good and not dumb so you should try it out and see how it works. I've personally never tried it so I have no input on it.
Your OoS options from DB3 on shield are shieldgrab, utilt, dtilt, JC usmash and sh uair.
That's all I've got.

Posts in the ZSS MU thread are probably full of bad info. That ****'s old. And if there's a Marth arguing in there it's probably Shaya and Shaya sucks, so...:awesome:

Edit: Oh..full jab combo works but not really.
What I mean by that is, Marth is one of the few characters who can't simply hold the shield button and PS jab3. However, he CAN upB you after jab2 connects.
So yeah, pay attention to upB habits as a response to jab/dash attack. Jab1 cancel is +1 on hit so if you jab1 --> hold shield I'm fairly certain you'll PS if he tries to upB you...I think that's how jab cancelling works anyway.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Neutral B is good at hindering Marth's approaches.
If he spaced DB poorly you can DI it out and you'll avoid the 4th hit, and when it whiffs you can walk up and dsmash/dtilt.
PS-->utilt/sh uair. They are good.
Don't airdodge into him at the edge, he'll dtilt and stuff.
Pressure offstage with lasers and fair.
Take him to FD/PS1.
Don't charge dsmash from neutral position, he'll sh over and tipper nair/fair you EASILY.
If he ever jumps but you know he's going to land away from you, try to punish his landing with sideB.
Dash attack isn't safe on hit below ~20 (from ~25 onwards dash attack --> utilt true combos, from ~40 onwards, all tilts and dash attack true combo out of dash attack...so below 25 if you dash attack him, shield cause he might upB)
Dakpo likes usmash OoS in this MU, and he's good and not dumb so you should try it out and see how it works. I've personally never tried it so I have no input on it.
Your OoS options from DB3 on shield are shieldgrab, utilt, dtilt, JC usmash and sh uair.
That's all I've got.

Posts in the ZSS MU thread are probably full of bad info. That ****'s old. And if there's a Marth arguing in there it's probably Shaya and Shaya sucks, so...:awesome:

Edit: Oh..full jab combo works but not really.
What I mean by that is, Marth is one of the few characters who can't simply hold the shield button and PS jab3. However, he CAN upB you after jab2 connects.
So yeah, pay attention to upB habits as a response to jab/dash attack. Jab1 cancel is +1 on hit so if you jab1 --> hold shield I'm fairly certain you'll PS if he tries to upB you...I think that's how jab cancelling works anyway.
Sveetness. :) I'll try to keep this stuff in mind while practicing.

ZSS is such a fun character, haha, and she's teaching me how to B-reverse. xD

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Me againnnnn.

How do you perform the infinite on ROB?

Basically what I'm doing is dsmash>footstool>DI to other side>dair at some point that I don't know the timing of. I'm kinda just mashing stuff as soon as I hit the footstool, what are the specifics of it? :)

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Dair ASAP after the footstool...like, if you're jumping with X and dairing with A, press them with 1 motion of the thumb, and almost exactly at the same time.

Easiest way to do the infinite imo is dsmash --> turn around (now you're facing away from ROB) --> sh backwards into ROB --> footstool --> immediate dair --> uncharged laser (this forces a reset) --> buffer another uncharged laser (for timing) --> buffer dsmash out of the laser.

You can skip the 2nd uncharged laser as it's entirely for timing but I find that if you just try to time the dsmash properly then it makes you more likely to screw up.

Edit: You can also downB instead of dairing if you want to.

WayV

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to consistently glide toss with ZSS armor pieces like diddy kong's bananas? Is the timing for the glide tossing strict with ZSS because sometimes I can pull it off with ease but in other cases it just does her normal throws.

:phone:

WayV

Smash Rookie
I think I'm weak glide tossing or something because I can glide toss with Diddy very easily or maybe the timing is more strict I'm not sure. When I glide toss with ZSS I have to let the shield actually pop up before I glide toss. Sometimes I can just do it by pressing the inputs really fast. I noticed in some of the videos the good ZSS players don't really care about the armor pieces to rack damage.

Top Bottom