• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Thats the same way I feel about it also I hadnt been using Zss much but I decided to play some wifi with her and I'm getting that hype to start using her again she is good online lol

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
What are some good uses for nair? I can't seem to find a time where I feel I need it.

:phone:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
What are some good uses for nair? I can't seem to find a time where I feel I need it.

The back hit is huge and amazing.
At low %s it combos into uair/dash-attack/d-smash depending on the weight and SDI/DI of the opponent.
It hits in one of ZSS's blind-spots.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this question's probably already been asked before, but, what is the best way to approach Falco?
Im not really great at this mu, but to approach falco, I kinda just crawl under lasers and I sheild when I see him about to attack. Approaching Falco can be a very difficult task.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I think the best way to approach falco is by crawling and when close enough use a dtilt or a well spaced nair works for me :)

Brawl1323

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to change from samus to ZSS mid-game? Whenever I get the smash ball I switch to samus and I don't know how to switch back until I get another one.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Is it possible to change from samus to ZSS mid-game? Whenever I get the smash ball I switch to samus and I don't know how to switch back until I get another one.
Mash the d-pad up and down over and over.
I don't remember the exact amount you need though.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
As nick said, mash the d-pad up and down. You have to mash the control pad up and down 4-6 times before her up taunt finishes. It varies from one controller to the other.

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if anyone else has discovered this (and I apologise if it's common knowledge; I only just recently started maining ZSS and haven't read through all documentation yet) but a charged hyphen smash has spiking properties. I was playing a match on Battlefield and it knocked my opponent straight down off the edge. Does anyone know the exact area of the hitbox and which frames these spiking hitboxes come out at?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if anyone else has discovered this (and I apologise if it's common knowledge; I only just recently started maining ZSS and haven't read through all documentation yet) but a charged hyphen smash has spiking properties. I was playing a match on Battlefield and it knocked my opponent straight down off the edge. Does anyone know the exact area of the hitbox and which frames these spiking hitboxes come out at?
This is well known. A lot of multi-hit U smashes have spike hitboxes. It's not useful in most cases since the hitbox is small and they have to DI down to get hit by it. I think there's a thread about it somewhere.

I think the hitbox is in front of her and in the bottom right corner of the move. I'm not sure which frame it comes out or how long it stays out.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Err, that's not true. It was just SDI followed by bad DI, and probably accidentally.

Usmash only has 4 hitboxes over multiple events. The first hitbox pops the victim into the air above ZSS and then the disappears. Then two directly above her flicker a few times, and then a third one appears that launches upwards.

Pictures here:

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=1447097

None of them spike.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I remember when we had a similar issue come up with dtilt spiking someone off the ledge. It happens because the upward trajectory combined with certain DI can stage spike someone from the ledge, sending them straight down. I believe the stage we were looking at for the dtilt was the castle seige ledge in the first transition; it'd probably be easy to do on PS as well

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
I remember when we had a similar issue come up with dtilt spiking someone off the ledge. It happens because the upward trajectory combined with certain DI can stage spike someone from the ledge, sending them straight down. I believe the stage we were looking at for the dtilt was the castle seige ledge in the first transition; it'd probably be easy to do on PS as well
I did this on Battlefield, so I can definitely see why some bad DI would stage spike an opponent. And the opponent's trajectory was towards the center of the stage, so that shows that it was probably just terrible DI. That sucks though, because I think if U-smash had spiking properties of the edge, it could be exploited and used well. I think from memory Marth's U-smash spikes, not quite sure though.

On a completely different topic, is it better to charge up the paralyzer shot? I'm not exactly sure what it's used for, because it seems very difficult to hit with a charged shot and the uncharged shot doesn't leave them stunned for long enough for you to do anything with them.

Spandex

Smash Rookie
Hmm. It goes pretty far, so I usually just charge up, wait for the shield, and grab, but that doesn't work all the time. If it hits in the air, you could follow up with a nice u-air or f-air.

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
Normally I just use it for baiting, but I have started using a uncharged shot>grab type combo. That seems to work pretty well. Then I'll just dthrow>aerial. I don't often hit in the air though, so that's something to think about...

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I thought it had a spike hitbox, thanks for clarifying.

Marth's U Smash doesn't spike IIRC, but it stage spikes a lot because it sends you up and towards Marth. It only works if you hit with his foot.

I usually only use charged shots if they are far away or have bad mobility.

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
Maybe it works in a similar fashion to Marth's U-smash; it brings them upwards which results in a stage spike. That could be something worthwhile investigating...

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Lol yea but besides that small tricks and such also is it safe to grab mk out of his nado?
If you see it coming, yes. Usually a pivot grab is your best bet.

As for tricks against Diddy, we can D smash land cancelled Fair if he hits our shield.

Glide Toss bananas down, forward, or offstage. Throwing them up doesn't usually help. Down throw is faster and just better in every way IMO.

You can grab all of his smashes if he hits your shield. Learn the infinite if you can't do it. It's easy and it's a free stock. It's not that hard to set up either.

If he hits you with a banana at high percents SDI towards him. It helps against his D smash/f tilt a lot and you can dodge the second hit of his F smash. If he goes into rapid jabs for w/e reason SDI up and behind him then hit him with a weak hit Uair > anything.

Useful tips I've picked up from playing Diddy, hopefully you can take something from it. I use Diddy some and I feel like that's helped my suit piece and item game a lot.

Shockna

Smash Cadet
The question isn't really ZSS specific, but I can't seem to find an outline for it anywhere else;

How exactly does one learn the basics of item control? I see the advanced techniques in the stickied guide, but I can't seem to find anywhere that covers the beginner stuff. I've had relative success just kinda guessing since I picked up ZSS, but I was hoping to find something more concise.

Anyone care to assist?

PEACE7

Smash Champion
If you see it coming, yes. Usually a pivot grab is your best bet.

As for tricks against Diddy, we can D smash land cancelled Fair if he hits our shield.

Glide Toss bananas down, forward, or offstage. Throwing them up doesn't usually help. Down throw is faster and just better in every way IMO.

You can grab all of his smashes if he hits your shield. Learn the infinite if you can't do it. It's easy and it's a free stock. It's not that hard to set up either.

If he hits you with a banana at high percents SDI towards him. It helps against his D smash/f tilt a lot and you can dodge the second hit of his F smash. If he goes into rapid jabs for w/e reason SDI up and behind him then hit him with a weak hit Uair > anything.

Useful tips I've picked up from playing Diddy, hopefully you can take something from it. I use Diddy some and I feel like that's helped my suit piece and item game a lot.
Wow thats what I'm talking about I didnt know about the canceled fair after the dsmash good to know and i tried the infinite once but sort of gave up lol ima try it again

The question isn't really ZSS specific, but I can't seem to find an outline for it anywhere else;

How exactly does one learn the basics of item control? I see the advanced techniques in the stickied guide, but I can't seem to find anywhere that covers the beginner stuff. I've had relative success just kinda guessing since I picked up ZSS, but I was hoping to find something more concise.

Anyone care to assist?
I main Marth and I knew nothing about item control like i completely sucked with items but I started facing diddy a lot as Marth and my item control started improving but what really helped me was picking up Zss thanks to her my item control with Marth is pretty good my advice to you would be to second or use a character that needs good execution of mindgames set ups and such with their very own stuff such as Diddy Zss Snake and maybe even Peach.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion

Anyone care to assist?
Every character that can spawn items uses them differently, not just because of the items themselves but you have to use items to maximize your character's innate advantages.

With ZSS for example, an item is going to help as an approach because you can use it to cover an aerial attack on shield by jumping over them and leading with the item to soften their shield, as well as her glidetoss which is absolutely beast.

Items in general are great because they are the longest range OOS options in the game, so they can be used to punish a great deal of things.

With suitpieces specifically you want to abuse the fact that they poke really well, have large active hitboxes as long as they're bouncing, fly quickly, have high knockback, can be used OOS, etc.

Just watch videos of competent zero suits playing with them and you'll see different styles of play. The matchup also is gonna play a big role in how useful they are; You're gonna be much more successful using items against Olimar than against Falco, just in general

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
With ZSS' dsmash, it seems to activate a hitbox on the person you've just stunned, e.g., stun two people with one dsmash (in a team game) and one person remains in stun while the other acts as if they've been hit by a thrown teammate. Could this possibly have any applications, and can anyone explain this? It just bugs me when I stun both enemies (cause they're stoopid) and one gets out of stun a second early and I can't do stuff with both of them.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Vibrating characters act as a hitbox, similarly to when you hit one person into another.
That's all that's happening.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Is platform canceling really good for zss? Is there anything special she can do that others can't?

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
there always a use for plattform cancel, just look on mr.r with every charakter he plays

enemies like to land on platforms, so time it correctly and do pc to downsmash (doing 30% is always special)/dtilt
just theory, but there will be situations. i try to master that.

Top Bottom