• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Range

Villi

Smash Lord
Since precision is such an important aspect of Zelda's gameplay, I thought it might be useful to rank Zelda's attacks within the context of her moveset. I tested all of the attacks against crates in training mode because they're easier to get consistent results on than a computer.

Horizontal Range:

1. Weak dash attack
2. Din's fire
3. Hyphen smash (second wave)
4. F-smash final burst
5. F-tilt
6. Medium dash attack
7. F-smash sparkles
8. Jab/hyphen smash minus 2%
9. Full hyphen-smash
10. D-smash
11. Strong dash attack
12. D-tilt

. . .

13. Naryu's Love
14. Bair
15. Fair
16. D-smash back hit
17. Up-smash
18. Up-tilt

Vertical Range:

1. Up-air
2. Final up-smash hit
3. Up-tilt
4. Up-smash
5. Din's Fire
6. Up-forward-tilt
7. Jab
8. Dash attack
9. Fsmash

. . .

10. Naryu's Love
11. D-smash

In order to determine which move had more horizontal range than the other, one move was spaced to only graze a crate on final destination, then another was chosen to be executed from the same spot in order to see if it connected (longer range), grazed (equal range), or whiffed (less range). For example, when f-tilt is only close enough to the crate to graze it, which causes little red sparks to fly off where contact is made, there will be no damage. From that same spot, an f-smash's first four initial hits will miss, but the final burst will connect. It can be concluded that the little sparkly things have less range than f-tilt, but the final burst has more.

Crates can take 15% before they break, so I determined what kind of dash attack I was using (7% - weak; 9% - medium; 12% - strong) by counting how many single jabs it took to break the box after connecting with it. Hyphen smashing just took lots of tries. -_-

I tested vertical range by making a custom stage with a flat platform with two large diagonal platforms rising along it. I put the crates on the slope, and stood under it to approximate Zelda's vertical range.

NOTES:

I used an immediately exploded Din's for reference. It pretty much sucks for close range despite its nice looking hitbox because it takes over 25 frames (long enough to powershield it after a sidestep) for it to become active. Personally, I like to space it for the 9% blast more than any other.

Naryu's Love has crappier range than I gave it credit for. It's more effective to be real close when you use it a lot of the time. It also has terrible coverage from above and below. It has a diamond shaped hit-box that starts causing damage somewhere around her boob and does some residual damage further away from her center.

Weak dash attack should probably be avoided at low percents. I dunno what it does at higher percents. It might set up for another dash attack or something since its knockback is so weak.

F-tilt and f-smash have very, very similar ranges. They're practically interchangeable as far as attack spacing. Up and down angled f-tilt have slightly less horizontal range than f-tilt, but I don't really care by how much. >.>

A far-spaced jab and a full-hyphen smash also have practically the same range. I think that knowing this makes jab a VERY useful shield pressuring tool when linked with a hyphen-smash. Since jab has such low cool-down and hyphen smash is so fast, someone hiding in their shield will likely be shield poked. A d-tilt -> jab -> hyphen-smash on someone who insists on staying in their shield will break it fresh if it doesn't shield poke.

The highest point of Jab's hit-box is right at her hand. The high point of her jab is capable of shield poking from above, while the disjointed parts don't really do that. This is also true of Zelda's Fsmash -- the most vertical coverage it will give her is at the final burst at her hands.

Dash attack has surprisingly good vertical coverage. It can be pretty useful at keeping people air-born.

Bair has longer range than fair. Bair's sweet-spot is also farther out than fair's.

Up-air is awesome. Did you know it's disjointed enough to hit someone through the main platform of battlefield? xD

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Wow. I love you. This post is incredibly useful. Thanks for taking all the time to do this! :)

It has a diamond shaped hit-box that starts causing damage somewhere around her boob
Zelda only has one boob!?! discuss!:laugh:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
After reading this i've started using ftilt as my primary spacing tool and saving fsmash for kills. Fsmash is a nice ko option, we just use it too much. Ftilt has great range so the cooldown time on it isn't that big of a problem as long as you have proper spacing. Keeping fsmash fresh only gives you another ko option, and that can never be a bad thing.

I encourage all of you to start using ftilt more, it's a good move people.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Up-air is awesome. Did you know it's disjointed enough to hit someone through the main platform of battlefield? xD
Yes I did, I found it out when DM killed me with like that the first time we played.

What really surprised me was when I hit with Snake's Uair through the lip on FD (I was underneath because I got stuck with the cipher cause I suck with Snake).

Anyway, cool stuff. I guess it'd be useful for anyone trying to pick up Zelda.

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
I like Zelda's f-tilt i just have no clue when to use it properly, like DM said to me "when you have been playing as long as I have you just know when it should be used" (this may not be the exact ting he said but it was very close). So I am still watching myself for chances I think it I should use it.

But its a very good move it places them up it the air, as long as you hit with at least the middle part of the move but if you semi-whiff it you send them at a more horizontal angle which is good for scoring some KOs if your f-smash was pretty weak.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zelda's ftilt is a subpar KO move by Zelda standards. Heavy characters in particular will be able to survive this attack to pretty high percents although it KOs mid/lightweights appreciably. It has decent range, but isn't really too quick and has punishable lag (it had less lag in Melee x.x). It is also not a disjointed hitbox.

If you do want to KO with it, it's best to use when you're cornered at the edge of the level. If they DI it towards you, they'll get side KO'd anyway. If they DI away, they'll get sent straight towards the vertical killzone. Utilt works similarly to punish any attempt to DI, but when you have them cornered at the edge of the stage.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
at low damages, Ftilt pops them up in perfect range to be followed by an aeiral or an upsmash... just saing.

Villi

Smash Lord
This was an interesting thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5950787&postcount=52

Zelda can grab Dk and Charizard's heads hanging from the ledge, putting her at level 11 for edge grabbing.

Down angled f-tilt tho, is at level 16 + she can hit G&W. At mid percents, because of its trajectory, it stage spikes. ^-^ Everyone but Bowser and Tink are susceptible, tho I only tested up to Jiggz.

Dtilt and dsmash also have hit boxes that extend a little bit below platforms at her foot. Dsmash has some disjointedness that extends beyond her foot that does not extend below platforms. Dair, as well. Dair can also detonate land mines while keeping you safe from harm.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
In case anyone's interested, it's been tested and proved true that an up-angled Ftilt has enough range to catch a GnW out of his bair. Check the moves thread thingy as Half-split talks about it there. It's in the OP also.

I think there's untapped potential in the angles of Ftilt =0

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I think there's untapped potential in the angles of Ftilt =0
I second this. You guys should definitely try out the up angled Ftilt more, it's pretty amazing versus many SH approaches (I know we already have Usmash, but more Ftilts helps to keep Usmash fresh). I've yet to find any special situations (like how the up angled one can beat the G&W Bair) where the down angled one is useful, but I still use it every now and then to try and find a great use for it.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I tend to use ftilt alot after a nair
its similar to Lucas' nair+ftilt combo jus not as fast...yet still has more priority
Its a pretty good move...but it can easily be shield grabbed
i think your on to somethin though....it could became important to Zelda's gameplay like dtilt
maybe there are possible combos that can follow ftilt
...I believe u can follow with utilt...right?

Bandit

Smash Lord
Ftilt at early percents will pull the opponent right above you for you to nair, usmash, utilt, etc. I try to sneak it in early if I can just to get a combo out of it, but I don't really use the move at all. Occasionally, I will use it to kill if I know it is fresh, but that is just pulling it out of nowhere on my opponent.

I agree that it has untapped potential. People are starting to learn to DI Fsmash which will FORCE US to use Ftilt more often.

Villi

Smash Lord
Fsmash. :( I really like that move. Ftilt, I am not coming up with any good ideas for.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
If opponent is next to edge, F-tilt is pretty safe. If they shield it, they get pushed over the edge and can't retaliate as easily.

Just thought I'd mention.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Half-Split Soul said:
If opponent is next to edge, F-tilt is pretty safe. If they shield it, they get pushed over the edge and can't retaliate as easily.

Just thought I'd mention.
I can't test this tonight (I have no wii), so I am just throwing it out there for someone else to try.

Is it possible to ftilt their shield and follow with a Dtilt for a spike when they fall off the ledge? I don't know if there is too much cool down from ftilt or if Dtilt isn't fast enough. I'm winging it purely on a creative vision... (sounds poetic)...

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
It's just a difficult move to setup and use in general.

We've tried using it, but it just gets outclassed by FSmash in every way. But now I think we're finding ways to work with it =D

Top Bottom