• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda....

R0fl

Smash Rookie
Is it just me, or is Zelda ALOT stronger than people say she is?

Benify

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eggn0g
3DS FC
5214-9751-3548
Even though zelda is my worst character (probably tied with lucario, but not by much) , but she has a ton of killer moves that is why people use her alot.

Life

Smash Hero
down-B is the main reason

trollface.jpg

Seriously. There's word going around she might get combined with Shiek next list.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
down-B is the main reason

trollface.jpg

Seriously. There's word going around she might get combined with Shiek next list.
Which will probably annoy people who play solely Zelda in low-tier tourneys.

Zelda's a bit underrated, but not by much.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Yeah, and also, Japan's tier list has her and Sheik combined, and they're waaay up there in 10th place. But uh, I'm assuming you haven't played professional Brawl. She's a beast if the opponent doesn't know how to airdodge though. Infinite fireball spam FTW!!!

Aibou

Smash Master
Um no. Zelda is bad. Trust me, I main her. Her attacks are laggy, she's light and floaty, she has little to no approach options, her projectile is predictable, her recovery is also predictable as well as laggy, her ground speed is abysmal, her grab game is sub-par, her aerials are high-risk (though high reward) attacks that, if sourspotted or missed, will get you hurt badly, and her matchups with high tiers are horrible (with the exception of the Ice Climbers).

She is, however, a good choice in Low Tiers and Doubles. Her only major low tier disadvantages are Ike and Samus (the rest are near even if not in her favor). And as for Doubles, a good partner can cover up most of her weaknesses (most notably defending her predictable recovery) and is also where her Din's Fire attack shines.

All in all, however, Zelda is a bottom 5 character. Use her in Tournament Singles at your own risk.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Zelda's Uair, Fair, Bair, Ftilt, and Utilt all actually have an alarmingly large amount of knockback. The issue is hitting your opponent with any of those moves.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Zelda is underrated, but she's still bottom tier. I wouldn't say she is G-tier, but she is quite linear in how she plays. However, if you find a Zelda who can sweetspot a lightning kick on command, watch out!!

Aibou

Smash Master
Zelda's Uair, Fair, Bair, Ftilt, and Utilt all actually have an alarmingly large amount of knockback. The issue is hitting your opponent with any of those moves.
The uair is predictable, and the fair/bair is hard to sweetspot. The other two moves are very laggy and, unlike the smashes, unsafe on shield.

Zelda is underrated, but she's still bottom tier. I wouldn't say she is G-tier, but she is quite linear in how she plays. However, if you find a Zelda who can sweetspot a lightning kick on command, watch out!!
Too bad a Zelda like that doesn't exist.

highfive

Smash Lord
What Aibo....Venomout said. Zelda just isn't that good. She's tall, floaty and lets face it, she has almost no good tactics except Dtilt > *insert whatever is most popular ATM*

Aibou

Smash Master
What Aibo....Venomout said. Zelda just isn't that good. She's tall, floaty and lets face it, she has almost no good tactics except Dtilt > *insert whatever is most popular ATM*
What Dtilt combos into depends on whether you get a trip, a popup, or just stun. Trip allows you pretty much any ground move she has within reason. A popup allows her a usmash, utilt, or maybe dash attack. Stun just allows a dsmash or a dash attack (or more dtilts :D ). Dtilt is by far her best move I think.

But I'm getting too carried away here. She's bad...so yeah...

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I fight a zelda player weekly.

Shes fairly easy to beat if you camp, and all her moves are easy to shield and punish. Even her grab is ridiculously slow. HOWEVER I play yoshi and have no out of shield options, sooo yea. Zelda can be a pain in double, or if you have no out of shield options.

EDIT: **** D-TILT ;~: Hate that move....:V

Blissard

Smash Lord
Yoshi is better.

Zelda is just... bad. But if you want to win, you shouldn't use anyone below B tier anyways.
C tier is completely viable. D tier is somewhat viable, but restricted by some horrid MU's. E tier and below require alot more skill to use, and usually still lose even if you're really good.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
As you've already been told, she's awful. She's one of my best characters and my main, but I will admit it. Then again, I haven't played online in forever and the people I play in real life aren't...very...good...

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Zelda kicks *** online. :V She really benefits from input lag. =p

Oh and zelda can be competitively viable in doubles. Alone shes terribad. ._.

NNID
Budget_Player
C tier is completely viable. D tier is somewhat viable, but restricted by some horrid MU's. E tier and below require alot more skill to use, and usually still lose even if you're really good.
I didn't say competitively viable, I said if you wanted to win. Sure, you can go a tournament with Fox, Peach, or DK and expect to stand a chance, but really? If you really want to win, don't go below A tier.

NNID
Budget_Player
1. Lee also plays Metaknight. A lot.
2. Olimar has gotten a big rise and is right at the edge of A tier. Also is severely underrated.
3. Ally wins tournaments with CF, your point? If you are a ridiculously good smasher, then go ahead, play chars that aren't top tier. If you aren't... stick to what will give you good returns, not huge problems (see also: cheese @ mlg).

Blissard

Smash Lord
??? You just contradicted your own point of not playing below A-Tier, and while Lee plays MK, it's for MU's he's not so familiar with. You just proved that you could indeed win with lower tiered characters. Then you talk about skill factor, so now characters are only viable based on skill? Now, my question is, what is your point? Mine was that many characters besides A tier were great.

Oh and for the main topic of the thread, yeah, Zelda does blow, lol.

NNID
Budget_Player
??? You just contradicted your own point of not playing below A-Tier, and while Lee plays MK, it's for MU's he's not so familiar with. You just proved that you could indeed win with lower tiered characters. Then you talk about skill factor, so now characters are only viable based on skill? Now, my question is, what is your point? Mine was that many characters besides A tier were great.

Oh and for the main topic of the thread, yeah, Zelda does blow, lol.
My point is less that chars below A tier aren't viable. My point is that if you want to win, the easiest and fastest way to do it is to main a top tier char. And that unless you absolutely despise the gameplay of those chars, you should main them if you plan on playing to win.

Doctor Grudge

Smash Cadet
I don't really get why people are offended by what Budget said. The dude said that if you want to win you shouldn't have any business using characters below B tier...makes sense to me. Sure there are exceptions, and sure you can try - but one shouldn't necessarily expect great results. It's like this in every fighting game.

I have no idea why people, especially in the Smash Brothers community, take so much offense to when characters are called crappy and what not.

Blissard

Smash Lord
More or less cause Budget's a smash debater and I'm a debater for my school. More for fun than realism, since this isn't the first time I've encountered Budget in a thread. But still, imagine if you were using TL or something, and it's like...oh now you can't win, because you main TL. Cause if you noticed, his point changed throughtout the posts...

br3compactor

Smash Ace
F-ck the Tiers. If you're very good, it doesn't matter what character you choose. If you're bad, it doesn't matter what character you choose. If you have fun, it doesn't matter what character you choose.

Seriously. Re-read what I just wrote. See if it doesn't make sense.

Only mediocre players should care for Tiers.

So why don't we all pick Random and live happilly after?

Also, I don't think this thread belongs here.

NNID
Budget_Player
Players that are actually good shouldn't care about the tiers once they become so ridiculously good that everyone else loses to their low tier main.

I'm not saying if you pick this char you autolose, but if your char goes 70-30 with any common top tier, you had better have a legit secondary or be twice as good as your opponent at the matchup. Otherwise you probably will not have much of a chance.

And we play to win here...

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
F-ck the Tiers. If you're very good, it doesn't matter what character you choose. If you're bad, it doesn't matter what character you choose. If you have fun, it doesn't matter what character you choose.

Seriously. Re-read what I just wrote. See if it doesn't make sense.

Only mediocre players should care for Tiers.

So why don't we all pick Random and live happilly after?

Also, I don't think this thread belongs here.
Actually, the higher up you go in terms of skill, the more tiers actually seem to matter, but only if you have people on your skill level to play with, though.

br3compactor

Smash Ace
What gives you more satisfaction? Beating the opponent with the best character, or beating the opponent with the worst character?

What shows more skill? Beating the opponent with the best character, or beating the opponent with the worst character?

I know what you mean about money matches. What gives you more money? Beating the opponent.
By the way...

What actually matters is the opponent's skill with their character of choice, your skill with your character of choice, and the match-ups.
Not the tiers.

Play to win? Everybody plays to win. BTW, winning by itself shouldn't be your focus. Say, if you pick the best character just because you can only truly compete with it, and loses, how big would your frustration be? What was the point of all the playing, if, even with the best character, you lose?

BTW, once again, shouldn't this be on the specific char sub-forum?

chaosmaster1991

Smash Apprentice
What gives you more satisfaction? Beating the opponent with the best character, or beating the opponent with the worst character?
Beating the opponent. The level of satisfaction you get out of it shouldn't be tied to whether the character you used is good or bad.

What shows more skill? Beating the opponent with the best character, or beating the opponent with the worst character?
The winner wins, the rest is unimportant.

I know what you mean about money matches. What gives you more money? Beating the opponent.
True, and with a good character you're more likely to win.

What actually matters is the opponent's skill with their character of choice, your skill with your character of choice, and the match-ups.
Not the tiers.
The tiers represent the overall strenght of a character though.

Play to win? Everybody plays to win. BTW, winning by itself shouldn't be your focus. Say, if you pick the best character just because you can only truly compete with it, and loses, how big would your frustration be? What was the point of all the playing, if, even with the best character, you lose?
What's the point of playing when you use a bad character and lose? Could you have won with a better one? Maybe, but if you don't try it and use the best character possible you won't find out.
And yes, winning should be your focus as you won't get better otherwise.

br3compactor

Smash Ace
Elaborate please. I really don't get what your point is.

"Winning is all that matters"? Did I get it right?

That's not a point. Is an opinion. You can't discuss opinion. If I say red's the best color and you say it's green, it's no use discussing. We'll get nowhere.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
It's all about those lightning heels.

I wish Zelda's Nair and Dair were better, then I'd mix her up with Shiek more.

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
I don't think she's as bad as people say she is. Her f-smash and u-smash are really strong and her d-smash is quick which makes it really useful. Her lightning kicks are deadly but if you don't sweetspot it you will most likely be punished for it. I feel she should be at least above Link and Jiggs in the current tier list.

Blissard

Smash Lord
I don't think she's as bad as people say she is. Her f-smash and u-smash are really strong and her d-smash is quick which makes it really useful. Her lightning kicks are deadly but if you don't sweetspot it you will most likely be punished for it. I feel she should be at least above Link and Jiggs in the current tier list.
....No. Just...no. Usmash can be DI'ed out of, and sourspotted. Fsmash is laggy, and dsmash is mediocre at best. The range blows though. You should've at least mentioned dtilt, which is generally considered her best attack. Actually, transform is her best attack XD

She's below Link cause Link can projectile spam. Jiggs has terrific punishing abilities and recovery, as well as some good MU's against specific high tiers (or rather, just Falco...). She's quite fun to use though, especially on lag-fi.

Top Bottom