• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This was so positive a few days ago... what happened.

Let's be happy that we have a prominent figure in competitive Smash going to bat for Zelda.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Me and Aero happened. The 2 most penisism filled Zeldas to grace the earth.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Whoa guys. I just noticed Zelda’s animation for her Fsmash changes how her model pulls itself back. She rears back and turns her hands to the front, so her hurtbox might be further away now before she uses it, effectively dodging moves. Getting a gif.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Oh my god people are talking about smash in zelda social, I'm freakin' out gorls......

:150:

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Whoa guys. I just noticed Zelda’s animation for her Fsmash changes how her model pulls itself back. She rears back and turns her hands to the front, so her hurtbox might be further away now before she uses it, effectively dodging moves. Getting a gif.
her fsmash has always done that. On a similar note though, here's a clip of someone using the phantom charge animation to do what you described.
https://gfycat.com/PlasticIdealisticFlicker

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Me and Aero happened. The 2 most penisism filled Zeldas to grace the earth.
Can we just talk about Fujin who compiled a comprehensive list of moves in Brawl that cancelled Din's?

Also, somebody needs to dig up the "hope opponent approaches spam smash attacks" meme.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Can we just talk about Fujin who compiled a comprehensive list of moves in Brawl that cancelled Din's?

Also, somebody needs to dig up the "hope opponent approaches spam smash attacks" meme.
It's not a meme if it's ha only way of "fighting" someone. :^)

PrimalCarnage

Smash Cadet
her fsmash has always done that. On a similar note though, here's a clip of someone using the phantom charge animation to do what you described.
The range is a bit fuzzy there, but it does look like it caused the move to whiff. That's really cool if true. I wonder if that's enough to make certain levels of Phantom a decent whiff punish move (looks like Zelda could've hit her a level 3 or 4 phantom before she would've been able to recover from endlag).

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Y'know, I've been wondering, but with Zelda looking cuter and younger in this game, can she still be called Zelderly with her black dress palette now?

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
UGH. Love it.

I know her fsmash has done that. The animation looks like she moves further back than compared to Melee. Imo.

Y'know, I've been wondering, but with Zelda looking cuter and younger in this game, can she still be called Zelderly with her black dress palette now?
"Zuldakind"

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Judging by the pictures of her pallet swap, she looks like a semi-gothic-cutie anime wizard/sage/magic gorl. I believe that counts as a demotion from being Zelderly and just makes her Zeldon't. Regardless, of Zelda's fashion or function, my feelings for her will always be the same. My feelings in song ofc:
https://soundcloud.com/bradbreeck%2Fwe-bare-bears-e066-coffee-fave%23t%3D028
It's a valid question, Nana BJN39 BJN39 :secretkpop:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
So is anybody watching the FIFA World Cup? :D

I for one am not. If I need excessive drama, there's this thread instead of these dramatized "injuries". Flame shield up.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ultimate/ALBW Zelda is too perfect for this world to deserve

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
The range is a bit fuzzy there, but it does look like it caused the move to whiff. That's really cool if true. I wonder if that's enough to make certain levels of Phantom a decent whiff punish move (looks like Zelda could've hit her a level 3 or 4 phantom before she would've been able to recover from endlag).
I will never be able to use this move for this purpose intentionally. The spacing is so narrow that I would mostly likely choose to roll or shield instead of going for the gutsy play. But that's just me. I never claimed to be good at this game.

PrimalCarnage

Smash Cadet
I will never be able to use this move for this purpose intentionally. The spacing is so narrow that I would mostly likely choose to roll or shield instead of going for the gutsy play. But that's just me. I never claimed to be good at this game.
It does look pretty narrow. tbh whether it's viable or not would require testing, it's just interesting if there was a whiff element to the move.

It'd be a pretty nice option. I play Tekken a lot, which has moves that auto 'dodge' sort of like this one, though there it's called crush moves instead. They are typically used to predict and punish seemingly safe moves, so it's a familiar mechanic to me. Maybe something from the Bandai Tekken team that carried over? (though as I understand it, they aren't helping with this smash)

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Y'know, I've been wondering, but with Zelda looking cuter and younger in this game, can she still be called Zelderly with her black dress palette now?[/QUO
It does look pretty narrow. tbh whether it's viable or not would require testing, it's just interesting if there was a whiff element to the move.

It'd be a pretty nice option. I play Tekken a lot, which has moves that auto 'dodge' sort of like this one, though there it's called crush moves instead. They are typically used to predict and punish seemingly safe moves, so it's a familiar mechanic to me. Maybe something from the Bandai Tekken team that carried over? (though as I understand it, they aren't helping with this smash)

Yes, I agree. I see their aiming to make her more traditional. How many frames are these moves?

I checked and zelda can act on Frame 76. Up close in neutral, like shown here, I can simply win a trade because if they are conditioned right, they’ll think you’re baiting them to be hit, simply by charging. Just like in smash 4. But now, Zelda comes out on top after being vulnerable. It’s like, I was vulnerable, now you are. Just like in this tekken clip, how his high crush would have been blocked if he was punched immediately.

Phantom definitely, Delayed, is a crush type move, but each stage is also mainly crush type.

Because of this, I think phantom charge in air while they’re on plat in a tech situation because since Zelda is free to act, and they shield, beating the phantom. She can grab.

She always comes out on top now in a lot more Ways. If anything phantom is no different than an assist attack in Blazblue.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Isn't the Zelda in Ultimate is so innocent I cant stop saying that word she's so waifu martial.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Merfect Merfect
tbh I feel personally attacked by your signature and I'm not even Zelda.

Anyone want to talk about Fire Emblem Heroes?
"I sent you pictures of Dieck, pls send Camillas."

Nope unless it's Summer Ike.
OK, that's a good point. But what about
or

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Merfect Merfect

"I sent you pictures of Dieck, pls send Camillas."

OK, that's a good point. But what about
or
Don't see Ike.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I've had a pocket Ike since Brawl. May actually play him more in the next game. I'm not competitive anymore due to that career thing but there's always FG I guess.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why people don't like her shoes in Ultimate. I love them. They're pretty heels (finally), which I've always thought she's deserved. They have a lot of texture to them, which is a lot more interesting to look at than her boring-ass old boots. They also have this sandal feel to them, which goes with the vaguely middle-eastern priestess look from ALttp

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I don't get why people don't like her shoes in Ultimate. I love them. They're pretty heels (finally), which I've always thought she's deserved. They have a lot of texture to them, which is a lot more interesting to look at than her boring-*** old boots. They also have this sandal feel to them, which goes with the vaguely middle-eastern priestess look from ALttp
Gonna be weird touching toes to our kick victims.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Loving Zelda's "A Link to the Past" look in Ultimate. It's about time the best Zelda game got some legit Smash love. :ultzelda:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I will definitely miss the more serious and refined Zelda of the other Smash games, but I her redone animations and expressions really have me loving the new design

I definitely think she has one of the best character models in the game (at least in the demo). No weird textures, no awkward facial expressions, overall smooth animations, and her dress has good movement with minimal clipping.

I mean just compare her to the ZSS screenshots off the website. She's looking really rough in comparison...

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I will definitely miss the more serious and refined Zelda of the other Smash games, but I her redone animations and expressions really have me loving the new design

I definitely think she has one of the best character models in the game (at least in the demo). No weird textures, no awkward facial expressions, overall smooth animations, and her dress has good movement with minimal clipping.

I mean just compare her to the ZSS screenshots off the website. She's looking really rough in comparison...
Yee, rip serious sass, hello cute sass I guess.

Though ZSS/Snake are both in disarray because their assets have been tampered with. :secretkpop:

Her idle animation kind of reminds me of Corrin in how they hold a hand up near their chest, and both have capes. Woosh
I T • I S • A N • E P I D E M I C

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Zelda made a lot of progress since Melee. Her taunt in Melee was usually mistaken for an idle pose. Her directional air dodge covered more distance than her second jump.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ocarina of Time's Zelda look. The shift to Twilight Princess was fantastic in my opinion and I'll miss it.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Side note that I posted in the other BETTER Zelda Social :secretkpop: . . .

Overwatch released a teaser showing that we're pretty much getting Hammond. Considering that's a space-pod-ish looking ball it's most likely him, anyway. Probably a tank that rolls to disrupt, maybe his/her Ultimate. So it'd be similar to how Winston can thrash people around which is always nice to forcibly peel threats from teammates/off the point. Yay more people who can cuck the Dive Meta even further! Though I'm annoyed we get Mech-Pod-Monkey-Boi, but NOT Jetpack Cat? Pick a lane, Blizzard.

Mildly enhanced teaser video here:

Zelda made a lot of progress since Melee. Her taunt in Melee was usually mistaken for an idle pose. Her directional air dodge covered more distance than her second jump.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ocarina of Time's Zelda look. The shift to Twilight Princess was fantastic in my opinion and I'll miss it.
I hope we get to choose between costumes entirely and not just palettes. If not, that'd be incredibly awesome DLC to add. They could even charge 1.99 for 4 character alternate costumes + corresponding pallet swaps, and people would still buy that mess up. I know I would because fashion over function or finances. Which is probably why Fire Emblem Heroes has made me poor oops. :^)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I hope we get to choose between costumes entirely and not just palettes. If not, that'd be incredibly awesome DLC to add. They could even charge 1.99 for 4 character alternate costumes + corresponding pallet swaps, and people would still buy that mess up. I know I would because fashion over function or finances. Which is probably why Fire Emblem Heroes has made me poor oops. :^)
Yeah I quit FEH because I spent way too much money on that game... But hey I have a +10 Ike, lol.

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
As a Zelda main since Melee, I am really happy that Zelda's new redesign has been so positively received!

For me, personally, I will miss OoT + TP Zelda for her demeanour and elegance. I was drawn to Zelda to begin with for how cold, serious, and distant she looked. It's a type of femininity you don't see represented in many games. Her stances and posture in Melee - Smash 4 look simultaneously regal and not-interested and I loved both aspects lol. Zelda . Has . More . Important . Things . To . Worry . About.

I really don't think the world needs more "waifu" material and *cute* doesn't do much for me. But her play-style looks improved so her changes are likely positive overall. The brunette color-swap helps a bit, too. Maybe Hilda will be an echo and she can rep the more melancholic and serious princess now that Zelda is closer to Peach.

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Merfect Merfect
My apologies T_T. I love her new shoes too much haha. Seems to be a very controversial opinion, on top of the design change in general.

I really like TP Zelda, but I'm happy to see a new design for her in this game. Especially since we also get BotW Link and OoT Ganondorf. So far, I'm loving the LoZ cast as a whole in this game.

PrimalCarnage

Smash Cadet
As a Zelda main since Melee, I am really happy that Zelda's new redesign has been so positively received!

For me, personally, I will miss OoT + TP Zelda for her demeanour and elegance. I was drawn to Zelda to begin with for how cold, serious, and distant she looked. It's a type of femininity you don't see represented in many games. Her stances and posture in Melee - Smash 4 look simultaneously regal and not-interested and I loved both aspects lol. Zelda . Has . More . Important . Things . To . Worry . About.

I really don't think the world needs more "waifu" material and *cute* doesn't do much for me. But her play-style looks improved so her changes are likely positive overall. The brunette color-swap helps a bit, too. Maybe Hilda will be an echo and she can rep the more melancholic and serious princess now that Zelda is closer to Peach.
Same. Though I think I dislike the waifu/cute archetype more in my case. TBH if Zelda had debuted with this design I might have decided never to pick her up or main her. (though i know we're in the minority in preferring more serious/regal characters but i get this is nintendo...)

I'm glad we have Zero Suit and Bayonetta for more mature female options, but I wish mature didn't automatically mean = sexy like it does with those two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom