• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
How do you think the Kirby/Villager MU plays out? I kind of hate it as Villager because I can't get my slingshots to connect and Kirby has a good grab game which is bad for Villager. /serious
Kirby is similar to Rosalina in that on paper he beats Kirby, yet... Kirby doesn't struggle. Being one of the smallest characters in the game plus having the shortest crouches makes avoiding slingshots easy. Lloid Rocket doesn't really work that well as Kirby has multiple jumps, and Pushy Lloid isn't that threatening because of how slow it moves. Kirby is lucky to have his Copy Ability, so he can pocket everything Villager throws out, which makes it a lot riskier to projectile. Once Kirby gets in, Villager can't get him out easily, but f3 N-Air is a pretty nice combo breaker. Villager can't really edgeguard Kirby, while Kirby can edgeguard Villager due to Upper Cutter and Meteor Stone. ADHD dumb camp doesn't work, either, because Meteor Stone and Giant Hammer. Counter Sapling doesn't do much either because Kirby's advantage state usually involves being aerial, but it does ruin some jab approaches, pivot shenanigans, and dash grab stuff. Also, Kirby's advantage state is improved if he any projectile excluding Lloid or probably Tree pocketed, as he can use them all in combos.

Villager can try to wall Kirby out, but once he's in, Villager can't get away. Customs aren't that helpful in this MU, so default would probably be best for the axe. I've played a lot of Villager mains, even one that somehow beat zeezee (or whatever his name is) in a Bof5. However, I haven't played one recently so... foyt may.

/sloppypost

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
More teleport recoveries should be like Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape and let you move in any direction while the warp's in progress, instead of being "okay you held in this direction when you disappeared, better buckle up!"

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
First Swordfighter I ever played belonged to @ Antonykun Antonykun . He did some weird side-b which brought him to the ledge from the blastzone as I was going offstage to Thunder him. I was like, what the heck, what is that move, and immediately and prematurely concluded that Swordfighter was better than dead last on the tier list.

Would have found out more, but apparently he was downloading a water buffalo because the lag overwhelmed us thereafter.
"Oh yeah aerial assault is delish amazing recovery to an archetype representative whose archetype rarely have good recoveries" Is what i would say until i get the feeling @ Unknownkid Unknownkid will stare at me with the "You like Krabby Patties don't you Squidward?" face

Edit: @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima he's zee but goes by zeezee and great job on beating him.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Be like a guerrilla frog.
So, I totally know what you meant, but it didn't keep me from thinking of Greninja's textures on DK's model.

Someone should get on that, Longchu needs a rival.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Swordfighter has Aerials that auto cancel?
Instant non-bottom tier.

@ Shaya Shaya I'm legit curious about this "FE Tier", (Could you mean ALL FE chars, do you mean as the next 'hyrule tier'?) mind elaborating?
You got it.
Lucina is trash, just about everyone agrees.
Marth is kinda trash, Japan definitely agrees.
Robin is also kinda trash, not sure how trash though, but Japan thinks they're bottom 3. Western scene had a lot of Robin love early on from top level players and we've perhaps been jaded.
Ike, even after buffs (I think Shulk too) probably still aren't that great. Japan thinks he's low tier :p

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Swordfighter has Aerials that auto cancel?
Instant non-bottom tier.
Swordfighter's AC moves are U-air and N-air. U-air is only useful in advantage and N-air reminds me I'm Tsundere for Swordfighter.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
"Oh yeah aerial assault is delish amazing recovery to an archetype representative whose archetype rarely have good recoveries" Is what i would say until i get the feeling @ Unknownkid Unknownkid will stare at me with the "You like Krabby Patties don't you Squidward?" face

Edit: @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima he's zee but goes by zeezee and great job on beating him.
Fix your internet son!

D

Deleted member

HOW IN THE **** DOES THIS THREAD MOVE SO QUICKLY. I LITERALLY TOOK A SMALL NAP AND I CAME BACK TO 10 OR MORE PAGES. I'VE BEEN HERE FOR A WHILE AND I STILL CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS THREAD GOES SO FAST.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I thought BAir low jump ACed. But I haven't used SF in ages.
Is having 20 frames before you Autocancel means that it is worthwhile?
If so then yeah B-air is a great move overall.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
G&W's kit doesn't really have much lag in the first place. You beat the guy by punishing his movements, not his attacks.
I'm failing to see why Japan considers Robin trash...he/she's not the best character, but in no way bottom tier
They were probably 1-up on us in terms of seeing the potential Emblem Tier.
But eh, Robin probably has a solid disadvantage against every high tier/viable character. Maybe not Rosalina IIRC, also Japan has the Pits rated very high too and they're quite popular, not a fun match up for her either (Villager is considered high too, ouch).
It's funny because Robin has a seriously overloaded kit in terms of "options", but tacticians are always meant to lose, because obviously Sakurai is bad at strategy games.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
WiFi is complete garbage for competitive purposes. Reaction is the most important component of fighting games and it's super hard to react and respond with precise movement to that reaction online.

Nevertheless, fun times are had, along with new experiences. I mean, if I only played in tournaments, I would never get to actually face a Swordfighter.

It never even occurred to me that Swordfighter was in the game until I fought Antonykun.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Swordfighter's AC moves are U-air and N-air. U-air is only useful in advantage and N-air reminds me I'm Tsundere for Swordfighter.
You can AutoCancel or the better term is Frame Cancel F-Air after the second hit. Timmy did a Fair-> Upsmash on an Jigglypuff.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
It does make me wonder sometimes if it's even worth it trying to play Sm4sh competitively when you don't have an active scene nearby, I'm pretty much stuck to WiFi as it is.

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413
So, I totally know what you meant, but it didn't keep me from thinking of Greninja's textures on DK's model.

Someone should get on that, Longchu needs a rival.
You beat me to the punch on the "gorilla frog" lol ah well
Whenever textures hacks become a thing for Smash 4, I'd kill to see a hack of Greninja and Donkey Kong fused together into an abomination as if they did the fusion dance incorrectly. Now that would be just be lovely...
Edit: Hold up, I just remembered that glitch involving Nabbit causing character models getting stuck onto each other. brb going to see if I can get Greninja and DK stuck together.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
G&W's kit doesn't really have much lag in the first place. You beat the guy by punishing his movements, not his attacks.
You'll have to elaborate on this. I understand that his moves are generally on the "average to slow startup but quick recovery" side but the lag from low jumping his aerials adds up quick in my eyes. It weakens his ability to pressure the opponent which, if I can't kill well, I at least want to be able to stress them out.

Though to be fair, I try to weave in and out as much as possible to mitigate this weakness.

Is having 20 frames before you Autocancel means that it is worthwhile?
If so then yeah B-air is a great move overall.
I never said anything about fast falling the move. When people say a move autocancels, I assume they mean that they low jump, input the aerial, then fall normally. Even Villager only has BAir and NAir as shff aerials.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It does make me wonder sometimes if it's even worth it trying to play Sm4sh competitively when you don't have an active scene nearby, I'm pretty much stuck to WiFi as it is.
I feel the same way sometimes. Where I live there isn't even any interest in Smash as a game, let alone competitively, so the only decent matches I get are online (and properly good matches are hard to come by on For Glory).

NairWizard

Somewhere
I feel the same way sometimes. Where I live there isn't even any interest in Smash as a game, let alone competitively, so the only decent matches I get are online (and properly good matches are hard to come by on For Glory).
While WiFi isn't good for estimation, it's great for building up your skills (except For Glory; challenge good players instead, or play on a ladder). Notable players like Anti, Ally, and Salem have their roots in WiFi. While you won't get the full high-level-player experience on WiFi, you can definitely become a high-level player through WiFi alone. It just takes dedication and keen observation.

Adaptation is a great skill to hone, and learning to play under lag will help you hone that skill.

You know how Goku wears weighted training clothes, and then when he takes them off he feels as light as a feather?

That's how you feel when you finally play a real match after WiFi training sessions. In some ways it is even better training than in-person training.

The problem I have is losing on FG. I want to go to tournaments, but if I can't even beat someone online, then how the heck am I supposed to be able to compete at a real tourney? :ohwell:
It won't be the same so it's likely that you have a chance to beat that said person online thanks to the absence of lag

Soul.

If Wi-Fi is really trash then how the **** were people able to play friend matches online in Brawl.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
You know how Goku wears weighted training clothes, and then when he takes them off he feels as light as a feather?

That's how you feel when you finally play a real match after WiFi training sessions. In some ways it is even better training than in-person training.
THIS. I support this idea 100%.

I know only a handful of people that play worse offline than online, but mostly because they are too accustomed to inputting preemptive commands. Then again, this was back in the days of Brawl, when wifi was the most terrible experience, so...

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413
Soooo, I decided to try out this little puffball right here: :4kirby: and he's been loads of fun to play actually.
I should probably pursue his customs since he seems to benefit from them quite a bit.

On another note, I love it when people shield Ganon's up-tilt (as long as it's not a powershield). Thanks for the free Warlock Punch, hehe!

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If Wi-Fi is really trash then how the **** were people able to play friend matches online in Brawl.
I played a lot of online in Brawl, not gonna lie. Smash 4 is a godsend in comparison.

But if you're gonna play with money on the line? lol no. That's where I draw the line.

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413
Online is my only way of playing for now. Once I get the means to go tourneys, that should change.
Someday it'll happen, just not now...

Top Bottom