• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

I think I rushed through all the past pages because I was too lazy to reply to anyone anymore. Hi guys :3

I found this cool video about MALLC. I've been really inconsistent with it, so this is definitely going to help me

Soul.

I played a lot of online in Brawl, not gonna lie. Smash 4 is a godsend in comparison.

But if you're gonna play with money on the line? lol no. That's where I draw the line.
Yeah, back when AiB was a thing. Never really went to it though. Smash 4's online is better 4sure
inb4 getting money w/ online ganon

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Speaking of landing with aerials... Falco's Fair is so freaking weird. While testing the aerial hit, the landing hit will come out even though it showed the animation for the final hit of Fair. The whole matter if it, landing Fair, being Falco's fastest attack is both cool and weird since one second he's in the air and then, BOOM! someone's sent flying which is probably why people drop their shield thinking he's just going to land only to get hit. I wonder if it's possible to get both the final hit and the landing hit. That's 9% alone if Falco doesn't get the other 4% from the four hits which would make for 13%. Probably not possible, but that would be amazing if someone could time that out correctly.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I wonder if it's possible to get both the final hit and the landing hit. That's 9% alone if Falco doesn't get the other 4% from the four hits which would make for 13%. Probably not possible, but that would be amazing if someone could time that out correctly.
Funny enough, I got it first try in training, and just the last hit+landing hit lol. Using fair from the apex of a full jump sets it up perfectly.

Also the landing hit on fair is really dumb. Not just because I always forget it exists, but because that hitbox is absurd.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Nah Pika's BAir doesn't autocancel. It does in a full hop, not in a short hop.
Yoshi's would if they left it unchanged from Brawl.
I didn't think Pika's did but I couldn't remember. Glad my instincts were right though.

I know Yoshi's did in Brawl but now it's a weird attack that deals terrible damage but KOs for some inane reason.

I wonder if it's possible to get both the final hit and the landing hit. That's 9% alone if Falco doesn't get the other 4% from the four hits which would make for 13%. Probably not possible, but that would be amazing if someone could time that out correctly.
It probably is possible if the 4% hit has high hitlag. I've done 12% with Game & Watch's BAir before by having the four aerial hits connect then landing and hitting with them with the grounded hitbox before they get out of hitstun (it normally just does 9%, like Falco's FAir). At least Falco's FAir is usable in this game. It wasn't quite Brawl Luigi DA tier but it was close.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Funny enough, I got it first try in training, and just the last hit+landing hit lol. Using fair from the apex of a full jump sets it up perfectly.

Also the landing hit on fair is really dumb. Not just because I always forget it exists, but because that hitbox is absurd.
Landing Fair is disjointed, but I don't know by how much and I couldn't figure it out on Pit. In the air, I think, but I'm not sure, the final hit includes his arms when he spreads them in the animation - I could check the data. Even then, aerial Fair's slightly disjointed and it does hit with his body, like maybe waist up.

SSB4's multi-hit mechanics make them much better except for Zelda. In past games, Zelda's Up and Side Smash didn't cause people to fall out as much, right?

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
SSB4's multi-hit mechanics make them much better except for Zelda. In past games, Zelda's Up and Side Smash didn't cause people to fall out as much, right?
I'm almost positive fsmash was better in Brawl, but in Brawl some characters (I can recall Lucas off the top of my head) could just SDI out of usmash completely and punish her. You can't consistently DI out of it in this game to my knowledge. That doesn't mean it's a better move in this game tho cuz it has no range, barely any kill power, and people still occasionally fall out of it.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I'm almost positive fsmash was better in Brawl, but in Brawl some characters (I can recall Lucas off the top of my head) could just SDI out of usmash completely and punish her. You can't consistently DI out of it in this game to my knowledge. That doesn't mean it's a better move in this game tho cuz it has no range, barely any kill power, and people still occasionally fall out of it.
Not to mention +10 frames of extra cooldown compared to Brawl.

Zelda didn't age well from Brawl. With all the terribad lag she gets from like... every move, she's like a grandma now. :^(

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Meanwhile, Ganondorf got stronger. Not in his prime, but like he has muscles... from a muscle suit. :p

And then there's Ike with his muscles.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I just watched one of Jerm's highlights videos with Shulk and daaamn. It really makes me want to learn Shulk.
You should, the Monado's Power awaits you. : 3

Plus, if you were willing to learn a character with a high learning curve like Greninja, Shulk won't be that much harder to master.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
You should, the Monado's Power awaits you. : 3

Plus, if you were willing to learn a character with a high learning curve like Greninja, Shulk won't be that much harder to master.
Greninja is one of my favorite characters, a character whose trailer left me extremely hyped for the game and is from a game I actually played. Shulk isn't any of those. That would very much affect how much I'm willing to spend time working out the character =P

In all honesty though I was always interested in playing Shulk, I just don't have the hang of him and the Monado Arts in order to properly be able to do something with him.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Greninja is one of my favorite characters, a character whose trailer left me extremely hyped for the game and is from a game I actually played. Shulk isn't any of those. That would very much affect how much I'm willing to spend time working out the character =P

In all honesty though I was always interested in playing Shulk, I just don't have the hang of him and the Monado Arts in order to properly be able to do something with him.
Fair enough, Greninja to you was basically Shulk to me, lol.

With Monado Artes, all it really comes down to is memorizing them (i'd watch the trailer a couple times if you really wanna learn him) and then utilizing them and his moves to the best of your ability. Shulk really tests your patience honestly. He has a lot of laggy moves that can be punished, and you can't just rush in headfirst to win like with Sheik. You gotta be level headed, smart about what moves you use, and be good at spacing. Him being super technical is one of the reasons i love using him.

I didn't bother checking the Japanese Tier list. Decided to check it out. All of the FE characters are at E tier. The tier list looks like a mess (like, almost every part of it), but that's just my opinion.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'd post more but my internet is slower than the green mile or a turtle going to visit his parents in law or a glacier during the ice age. I had a lot of time to think while this page loaded.

I can understand the opinion of Robin being trash though. It's just the results that disagree or say otherwise, but when you think about it, the only true Robin main at the moment is Treluh (He's focusing on Robin). The other good Robin players have a top tier back up which sort of says a lot for Robin.

He might not be as good as I initially thought.

Edit: And those other Robin mains probably don't main Robin at this point

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Practicing things against a lv8 Villager

He plants and waters a tree, then drops two bowling balls on it in quick succession and kills it immediately.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I might pick up Robin again. I feel like I've gotten to the point with Shulk where I'm confident enough in my abilities with him that I could pick up another technical character. Well whatever, I'll sleep on the thought. Goodnight guys <3

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
When giving a speech and if I'm nervous, I find it easier to just focus on at least one person (preferably several, so it won't seem too creepy lol). This tends to include my teacher too. Sometimes you're not even just looking at them per say, you're kind of looking past them.

Though if your teacher is being really annoying, he/she will probably tell you to make eye contact with everyone.
Yes, unfortunately he is like that. He says my main problem is how I talk. He said I sound like "I'm not sure what I'm saying". I've stuck to doing video speeches with comedy and it seems to work much better.

One reason could be the people in my class. Back in 8th grade, you could take Algebra a year early or take normal Math. I took Algebra with about half of my class. Ever since then, the school has been putting the same people together in classes. We joke that it's the " smart half and dumb half", lol, which actually isn't far from the truth.

Anyway, this year I got separated because there were too many in the "smart group", and I was the unlucky one to get kicked. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of people in don't talk to, not to mention that I don't really like some of them. I feel like I could have more freedom in my speeches and be more comfortable if I was with my friends.
/endschoolrant

Page 822 is amazing.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
@ Fernosaur Fernosaur

She ate her OWN SIBLING
fadjgshfgskhsadajfdfahsdgasdhgaksdjhgas!

Although I'll say this trailer wasn't as hype as the last one, it's still looking cool. I'm hoping my expectations don't get crushed :'D

Practicing things against a lv8 Villager

He plants and waters a tree, then drops two bowling balls on it in quick succession and kills it immediately.

Mind games.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
No point thinking about Salem, Ally, etc when it comes to wifi and seclusion (no offense to them, they're also my idols).

It's all ZeRo.
He's the guy who inspired me to think it's possible to be the best player in the world some 1000 miles+ away from anyone competitive. One year he gets top 32 at apex the next year he comes back and gets top 8; he was banned by his local scenes so he couldn't attend their tournaments. As someone who originally went to the US in 2009 and came back dejected at the lack of "skilled opponents" I could play to push me forward, it wasn't until late 2010 that I started losing my locals after never playing outside events, it wasn't until 2012 where I realised how wrong that was (combination of ZeRo inspiration and SoCal's Tyrant). I rounded off my career in Brawl as arguably the best in the country (Australia), I still had no one to play with and never touched wifi, but I was dedicated.

It's really all about mindset and planning. What do you get out of wifi? Why are you playing wifi?
Why does it even need to be wifi? CPUs are amazing if you know how to use them.

Playing to win and playing to learn are two separate things, always. In friendlies I'm never doing anything but reactive choices/on the spot thinking, I won't mix up certain things ever because optimal choices is what should always be executed in that context. How are you going to be comboing people to death in a real tournament match if you can't even 0-death CPUs? How are you going to learn a character's best options if you don't know what the best option is and how an opponent deals with the best option?
Losing is a fantastic thing too, because if you don't know why, you need to figure that out, there's always a solution and it should be a fun exercise.

Soul.

It's really all about mindset and planning. What do you get out of wifi? Why are you playing wifi?
Why does it even need to be wifi? CPUs are amazing if you know how to use them.

Not sure what were you trying to say with CPUs lol
I feel that Wi-Fi is useful because you're still playing vs. real stuff. CPUs just aren't good for practice

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Not sure what were you trying to say with CPUs lol
I feel that Wi-Fi is useful because you're still playing vs. real stuff. CPUs just aren't good for practice
Vinnie used to play 99 stock matches against a level 9 Meta Knight CPU as Ice Climbers. He would suicide if he dropped a grab and would play to beat it with 90 or more stocks remaining. It's hard to find any instance of a Brawl player not using Meta Knight with comparable results to Vinnie.
Mew2King used to spend every moment between tournament matches beating up a level 1 or 3 CPU snake. He would refuse to play friendlies with people during this time. You'd wake up in the middle of the night to see him doing cpu-destructions and then just roll over, expecting something "lame" to be destroyed by when he next woke up.
Armada with level 1 fox on battlefield in Melee is something I'm sure he still does.

Wifi is barely real stuff. Playing wifi under the same paradigm as someone else can have real positive results (i.e. top players practicing on wifi against each other), because they know what's "real" and what isn't. Do you know what's real when you're playing wifi?
ZeRo wouldn't always be playing wifi either, he was mentored by M2K in every way and follows very similar techniques to him.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wifi is barely real stuff. Playing wifi under the same paradigm as someone else can have real positive results (i.e. top players practicing on wifi against each other), because they know what's "real" and what isn't. Do you know what's real when you're playing wifi?
ZeRo wouldn't always be playing wifi either, he was mentored by M2K in every way and follows very similar techniques to him.
@Macchiato

Rizen

Smash Legend
IMO wifi and offline play are apples and oranges. Wifi isn't necessarily bad but can't be directly compared to offline play.
PS
I unplugged and replugged my modem and my internet is faster.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Do you know what's real when you're playing wifi?
Probably the most important thing to think about when playing WiFi somewhat seriously.

If Yoshi gets away with 2 jabs on my shield and I fail to shield drop>utilt in time before he jabs again. Meh, WiFi.

However, if Yoshi gets away with a cross up NAir and I shield grab the wrong way, that's a real mistake that needs addressing.

One thing that CPU's have helped me with is my improvement my MALLC execution. Set it to 99 stocks, go against Sheik/Falcon, repeatedly use MALLC while trying to kill them. Without noticing, I notice myself doing follow ups from MALLC b-air or f-air.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It's kind of funny to me that this is a topic now, because I noticed during yesterday's WiFi session that I tend to do dash grabs a lot at times I should be pivot grabbing.

However, since ~*~wifi~*~, it's also hard to tell when I'll be ending up at the distance where I should pivot grab vs dash grab, so it's kind of a combined blur of real problems and wifi problems. Overall, it's probably good enough that I notice and acknowledge that there's an issue that needs fixing.

Top Bottom