• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zelda Patch and Changes Discussion Thread

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Okay this is a lol combo that is effective on beginners to low intermediate players.
In the end don't use this in tournament because its highly situational.
Great buff to phantom.
It was fixed and buffed by the windbox
5 frame endlag decrease.
Have you ever used fully chargedcharged phantom on an opponent just to ALMOST break their shield?
They're so far away if only you could TELEPORT to deliver the final blow
Seems like you're implying something, I wonder what it could be.

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
Nobody ever pictured this to happen, finally Zelda's getting dug out of the bottom of the well and has options. I'm liking this Phantom buff, it gives us a reason to use it now. I can see many things coming from this. I really love the windbox on Phantom, it's nice for edgeguarding. That end-lag is also much needed. It even shuts down some recovery moves.

If there's a little bit of distance between you and the opponent, the windbox will carry them even if you charge it a lot. I wonder what this would be like with less charge up. :p

Hmm. I wonder has this buff effected her Phantom Customs in any way? Namely her Phantom Strike? I wonder what Shield Breaker would do now.

Now if only Sakurai and his team could do something about the move called Dins Fail. Perhaps a hitbox as it travels? o: Also toned down end-lag and have momentum. :p

I wonder how the U-Tilt buff is, I have to check this out.

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Nobody ever pictured this to happen, finally Zelda's getting dug out of the bottom of the well and has options. I'm liking this Phantom buff, it gives us a reason to use it now. I can see many things coming from this. I really love the windbox on Phantom, it's nice for edgeguarding. That end-lag is also much needed. It even shuts down some recovery moves.

If there's a little bit of distance between you and the opponent, the windbox will carry them even if you charge it a lot. I wonder what this would be like with less charge up. :p

Hmm. I wonder has this buff effected her Phantom Customs in any way? Namely her Phantom Strike? I wonder what Shield Breaker would do now.

Now if only Sakurai and his team could do something about the move called Dins Fail. Perhaps a hitbox as it travels? o: Also toned down end-lag and have momentum. :p

I wonder how the U-Tile buff is, I have to check this out.
Actually, phantom's gained a new hitbox, not just the windbox. The travelling hitbox does 0% and is what actually pushes people into the other hitboxes. Just pause the game as it's travelling through an opponent and you'll see that the opponent enters a hitstun animation which windboxes don't cause. All of the customs have been affected as well losing 5 frames of endlag and gaining this new hitbox so strike is nearly unchanged though it can pull people from behind Zelda which is weird and wonderful. Breaker does actually push shielding opponents into the shield breaking hitbox. The thing about breaker, though, is that the opponent can shield the first hit and roll out of the second meaning it'll still rarely break shields unless the opponent doesn't know about this. Utilt is basically just safer now though the backside hitbox of it now combos into stuff thanks to the endlag reduction. It's fairly gimmicky though since it takes so long to hit an opponent with that backside-hitbox anyway and it can be DI'ed so don't expect to make utilt your new BnB kill setup.

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
Actually, phantom's gained a new hitbox, not just the windbox. The travelling hitbox does 0% and is what actually pushes people into the other hitboxes. Just pause the game as it's travelling through an opponent and you'll see that the opponent enters a hitstun animation which windboxes don't cause. All of the customs have been affected as well losing 5 frames of endlag and gaining this new hitbox so strike is nearly unchanged though it can pull people from behind Zelda which is weird and wonderful. Breaker does actually push shielding opponents into the shield breaking hitbox. The thing about breaker, though, is that the opponent can shield the first hit and roll out of the second meaning it'll still rarely break shields unless the opponent doesn't know about this. Utilt is basically just safer now though the backside hitbox of it now combos into stuff thanks to the endlag reduction. It's fairly gimmicky though since it takes so long to hit an opponent with that backside-hitbox anyway and it can be DI'ed so don't expect to make utilt your new BnB kill setup.
Oh it did? I didn't notice that. I'll have to use more of it to see for myself. And that's great the the customs at least got benefit from this. And it can pull behind with Strike? I have to try that, that sounds a bit odd. But I'll take what it gives me.

Yeah I ind of figured that about Breaker, too bad. It has potential. Well I kind of hand that in mind considering U-tilt, though it's nice to get a combo game out of it. Thanks for the tips there. I'll keep this in mind.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
With the new hitbox for the Phantom, I managed to gimp Falcon's Up-B through the stage, on Omega Wuhu Island.

I guess that Falcon was somehow going through the stage, but this really surprised me.

This new hitbox is really something to study.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
This my Zelda after the patch. I'm not that great, but she feels amazing. I try to really use Phantom, especially reversing it for the angle it can send you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N2a_bW1Q9A

ALSO What about jumping offstage and reversing phantom to charge and start a position to hit certain recoveries...as your falling? you know, so you can level out when to throw it?

Like, Zelda jumps over marth as he gets closer to the edge, she b turns and starts charging phantom

So she basically has a punish ready to his recovery

In fact, I know this works because I did this during a friendly against a Marth

I released phantom as he used Dolphin Slash and it hit him at just the right time to stage spike him

Phantom is good for when your opponent is forced into an option I feel, that's how we should use it to edge guard.

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
With the new hitbox for the Phantom, I managed to gimp Falcon's Up-B through the stage, on Omega Wuhu Island.

I guess that Falcon was somehow going through the stage, but this really surprised me.

This new hitbox is really something to study.
By using it offstage pointing in? I'm having trouble gimping by blocking the edge

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
ALSO What about jumping offstage and reversing phantom to charge and start a position to hit certain recoveries...as your falling? you know, so you can level out when to throw it?

Like, Zelda jumps over marth as he gets closer to the edge, she b turns and starts charging phantom

So she basically has a punish ready to his recovery

In fact, I know this works because I did this during a friendly against a Marth

I released phantom as he used Dolphin Slash and it hit him at just the right time to stage spike him

Phantom is good for when your opponent is forced into an option I feel, that's how we should use it to edge guard.
Do you think you can post a replay of this? I think I know what you're talking about, but I'd like to see it work--haven't been able to do this myself so I think I'm doing it wrong.

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
After these changes, default Phantom might be the best...
What is life.

If only Strike had more killing power, or if Breaker charged as quickly as Strike.
Slash having less endlag than the other two and the full charge going so far with such a strong windbox makes it the best for gimping, spacing, and killing.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
What is life.

If only Strike had more killing power, or if Breaker charged as quickly as Strike.
Slash having less endlag than the other two and the full charge going so far with such a strong windbox makes it the best for gimping, spacing, and killing.
that's a good thing, customs are bad anyway

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What is life.

Strike is still good for edgeguarding with it's high base knockback semi-spike, along with it's charge speed and high damage.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Isn't Strike the one that also can pull people from behind Zelda now? That could be good against those who like to roll behind us to avoid it.

Now...if only I could unlock that one instead of Breaker for the 264739th time.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Today I was playing against someone and the midcharge of the phantom semispiked them and they were in hitstun... the whole time after they got hit.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Today I was playing against someone and the midcharge of the phantom semispiked them and they were in hitstun... the whole time after they got hit.
This happened to me in Training. I thought I was just imagining the semispike.

Idk what caused it though. Maybe that 0% hitbox has some glitchiness to it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I also got the semi-spike on the Level 2 charge.

Isn't it when you someone below the phantom? That's what I remember, but I can't recall well.

Oidsco

Smash Rookie
Saw this and signed up just to say that yea I've got the semi-spike too. I thought I was imagining things! I landed it on a Sonic that was jumping back on-stage. He fell down in hit-stun for a moment before being able to up-b, but it was too late at that point.

Next time I'll record it

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I think I've gotten that semi-spike once at minimum charge. It's weird. Also, I still think that strike is the better pick overall. It still benefits from this new bonus hitbox since it starts behind Zelda now. I actually hit a Ganon that rolled behind me with that hitbox. Granted, it did no damage but I didn't get punished so that's helpful.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I think I've gotten that semi-spike once at minimum charge. It's weird. Also, I still think that strike is the better pick overall. It still benefits from this new bonus hitbox since it starts behind Zelda now. I actually hit a Ganon that rolled behind me with that hitbox. Granted, it did no damage but I didn't get punished so that's helpful.
So is it better than just using Nayrus to punish the spot dodge?

Or are you saying the attack is SAFER than Slash

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
It's no Nayru's in terms of punishing rolls and spotdodges. I'm just saying it's safer against rolls than slash is. Granted, the area that it affects behind Zelda isn't tremendous (which is why Nayru's is still better against rolls) but it can be more effective in covering her backside than slash.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Woaah! My boy Zelda got buffed! Definitely gonna pick her back up. (I actually dropped her because I would always screw up my recovery with her)

what's all this FAF and 40/40/30 business mean?

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Woaah! My boy Zelda got buffed! Definitely gonna pick her back up. (I actually dropped her because I would always screw up my recovery with her)

what's all this FAF and 40/40/30 business mean?
FAF means First Active Frame where you can act out of the move. Lower numbers are better. Basically less endlag for Utilt (and new possible combos and strings for Zelda!)

Numbers like 30/40 could either mean base knockback and knockback growth or bone IDs for a move, not sure which one you mean.
In the later case it just means jab is more reliable. In the former, Phantom's "windbox" is no longer a bad blindspot.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
FAF means First Active Frame where you can act out of the move. Lower numbers are better. Basically less endlag for Utilt (and new possible combos and strings for Zelda!)

Numbers like 30/40 could either mean base knockback and knockback growth or bone IDs for a move, not sure which one you mean.
In the later case it just means jab is more reliable. In the former, Phantom's "windbox" is no longer a bad blindspot.
Ah, okay. Thannks

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
The 40/40/30 you specified is WKB for jab. Basically, the higher numbers now mean that jab links better with itself so opponents don't fall out. I've been told that WKB stands for weight based knockback but I'm not actually sure myself. I just know what it does, not what the name is lol. Everything else listed is either specific frame data determining the length of hitboxes and stuff or hitbox data determining where it is in relation to Zelda's hurtbox (bone data) and the size of the hitbox (x,y,z values and other size values). Numbers for nerds :)

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
The 40/40/30 you specified is WKB for jab. Basically, the higher numbers now mean that jab links better with itself so opponents don't fall out. I've been told that WKB stands for weight based knockback but I'm not actually sure myself. I just know what it does, not what the name is lol. Everything else listed is either specific frame data determining the length of hitboxes and stuff or hitbox data determining where it is in relation to Zelda's hurtbox (bone data) and the size of the hitbox (x,y,z values and other size values). Numbers for nerds :)
Weight Based Knockback is p much the set knockback of a move

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Then what's the W in WKB?
Weight

Because whatever the damage the opponent is at isn't a factor for set knockback (for example, if we hit Rosa with one hit of our Nair, she pops upwards, but the distance she pops up is the same when she's at 0% as it is at 999%) but a character's weight is (hitting with the same hitbox on Rosa & Bowser will cause them to pop up at different heights)

Hence why it's called Weight Base Knockback or Weight Dependent Knockback.

It's used in multi-hit moves so that they could connect easier

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Weight

Because whatever the damage the opponent is at isn't a factor for set knockback (for example, if we hit Rosa with one hit of our Nair, she pops upwards, but the distance she pops up is the same when she's at 0% as it is at 999%) but a character's weight is (hitting with the same hitbox on Rosa & Bowser will cause them to pop up at different heights)

Hence why it's called Weight Base Knockback or Weight Dependent Knockback.

It's used in multi-hit moves so that they could connect easier
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew what WKB was, I just didn't know what the W stood for :p

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm so proud that the gorls here are learning and spreading the knowledge. It warms my heart :'^)

Also since we've most likely found everything (What with the mastercore now even having FAF data whaaaat?) I might re-close this thread until the next patch soon. It probably won't be more than 2 months if another gets released.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
You know what time it is gorls! Zelda prayer circle time! May the thread be rejuvenated for patch 1.1.1! (That's that number right?)

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Obligatory
Taunts-Melee-Zelda.png

Not expecting much. Probably the usual Phantom endlag decrease and maybe a Dtilt FAF buff.

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Here's my hopes for the next patch:

+ You can now store Phantom Slash

+ Back throw knockback increased

+ Fair and bair auto cancel from a shorthop

+ Banned from online play

+ Sourspot lightning kicks deal slightly more damage

+ Din's Fire removed

- Banned from online play

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
These are things that imo would make her mid

More KBG on Bthrow to the point where it's a reliable kill throw

Less start up and endlag on Ftilt

No Deadzone on Ftilt

Less lag on Fair/Bair

SHAC Fair/Bair

Increase Fsmash endlag by 20 frames

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
In terms of miscellaneous buffs, I'd like:

Less lag and better control of Din's Fire
Lightning Kicks that are not punishable on sourspot hit; Less end lag and landing lag
Less end lag on Phantom Slash; faster charge time
Less landing lag on neutral air
Forward tilt blind spot fix (how was this not addressed yet?) and overall sped up in frames
Down smash knockback/hitbox improvements (would send at semi spike angle similar to WFT's)

Last edited:
Top Bottom